Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, DaveInSeattle, rass

User avatar
DaveInSeattle
The Dude
Posts: 5473
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:51 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by DaveInSeattle » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:53 pm

Has anyone watched the 'Jack Ryan' series on Amazon?

I've watched the first two episodes this week while riding my wind trainer, and thought it was decent, but I'm just wondering if its worth getting invested in it.

User avatar
wlu_lax6
The Dude
Posts: 7909
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:16 am

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by wlu_lax6 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:34 am

DaveInSeattle wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:53 pm
Has anyone watched the 'Jack Ryan' series on Amazon?

I've watched the first two episodes this week while riding my wind trainer, and thought it was decent, but I'm just wondering if its worth getting invested in it.
Did both seasons. It is okay. Not very Tom Clancy but who cares. Just a decent action series. 3 to 3.5 stars

User avatar
Steve of phpBB
The Dude
Posts: 6256
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:44 am

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by Steve of phpBB » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:29 am

wlu_lax6 wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:34 am
DaveInSeattle wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:53 pm
Has anyone watched the 'Jack Ryan' series on Amazon?

I've watched the first two episodes this week while riding my wind trainer, and thought it was decent, but I'm just wondering if its worth getting invested in it.
Did both seasons. It is okay. Not very Tom Clancy but who cares. Just a decent action series. 3 to 3.5 stars
I concur.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.

P.D.X.
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4186
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:31 pm

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by P.D.X. » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:39 am

I can't make the leap to Jim Halpert as an action guy.

User avatar
wlu_lax6
The Dude
Posts: 7909
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:16 am

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by wlu_lax6 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:15 pm

P.D.X. wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:39 am
I can't make the leap to Jim Halpert as an action guy.
Not sure I am buying Michael B. Jordan as John Clark in Without Remorse coming later this month.

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 23514
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: El lugar de ser
Contact:

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by brian » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:20 pm

wlu_lax6 wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:15 pm
P.D.X. wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:39 am
I can't make the leap to Jim Halpert as an action guy.
Not sure I am buying Michael B. Jordan as John Clark in Without Remorse coming later this month.
Willem Dafoe is probably still ripped. I understand wanting to make the Clancy-verse more diverse, but I think Dafoe still could have pulled it off.

User avatar
wlu_lax6
The Dude
Posts: 7909
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:16 am

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by wlu_lax6 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:22 pm

P.D.X. wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:39 am
I can't make the leap to Jim Halpert as an action guy.
Also the character of Jack Ryan is not supposed to be an action guy. He is an injured Marine, analyst who taught at the Naval Academy. Baldwin and Ford were good matches to the books. Affleck was okay and Pine was not the right person. Pine and Krasinski fit Jack Ryan Jr as a character (written as collaborations with Clancy and then by a few other authors who are carrying on the Ryan verse)

User avatar
wlu_lax6
The Dude
Posts: 7909
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:16 am

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by wlu_lax6 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:24 pm

brian wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:20 pm
wlu_lax6 wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:15 pm
P.D.X. wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:39 am
I can't make the leap to Jim Halpert as an action guy.
Not sure I am buying Michael B. Jordan as John Clark in Without Remorse coming later this month.
Willem Dafoe is probably still ripped. I understand wanting to make the Clancy-verse more diverse, but I think Dafoe still could have pulled it off.
The Rainbow Six platforms is a great opportunity for diversity. Dafoe would be great as Clark. He could play younger Clark and very easily play older Clark (who is a key character in later books)

User avatar
DaveInSeattle
The Dude
Posts: 5473
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:51 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by DaveInSeattle » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:29 pm

wlu_lax6 wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:34 am
DaveInSeattle wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:53 pm
Has anyone watched the 'Jack Ryan' series on Amazon?

I've watched the first two episodes this week while riding my wind trainer, and thought it was decent, but I'm just wondering if its worth getting invested in it.
Did both seasons. It is okay. Not very Tom Clancy but who cares. Just a decent action series. 3 to 3.5 stars
Thanks...I'll keep going with it. I do like watching hour long shows when I'm on the trainer, and you can tell they spent a lot of money making the show, so at least it looks good.

And I like seeing Wendell Pierce in anything.

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 17851
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by A_B » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:34 pm

brian wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:20 pm
wlu_lax6 wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:15 pm
P.D.X. wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:39 am
I can't make the leap to Jim Halpert as an action guy.
Not sure I am buying Michael B. Jordan as John Clark in Without Remorse coming later this month.
Willem Dafoe is probably still ripped. I understand wanting to make the Clancy-verse more diverse, but I think Dafoe still could have pulled it off.
I think he had some scenes in the lighthouse with his shirt off. Not ripped per se but still sinewy for and older dude. Not out of shape at all.
This "Whoa, Nelly" is brought to you by Nelly's Organic candy bars. Tastes like the good stuff, without the bad stuff. Whoa, Nelly!

User avatar
rass
The Dude
Posts: 15233
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 am
Location: N effin' J

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by rass » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:43 am

I thought the first season of Jack Ryan was pretty well done but I also petered out and didn't make it to the finale.

I do remember thinking that there was a surprising amount of T&A for these woke times.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.

User avatar
DaveInSeattle
The Dude
Posts: 5473
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:51 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by DaveInSeattle » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:26 am

rass wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:43 am
I do remember thinking that there was a surprising amount of T&A for these woke times.
I watched the episode this morning where he hooks up with the Doctor (who turns into his wife in the books) and I was surprised as well.

And...a doctor...who doesn't notice he's got a bandaged up stab wound?

User avatar
govmentchedda
The Dude
Posts: 8904
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:36 pm

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by govmentchedda » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:57 pm

tennbengal wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:09 am
Johnnie wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:54 am
Ted Lasso was really, really good.

BSF, you got Dropbox? I can upload it for you.
It is the rare "you must see this" chorus that holds up.
It's a perfect show. Loved it so much, can't wait to watch again.

Ted Lasso
Catastrophe
Terriers
I'm Sorry
Derry Girls
Better Things
Atlanta

All so great.
I took a two hour nap and cried during parks and Rec. it was awesome and terrifying.

Post Reply