The WWLIS Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Re: The WWLIS Thread

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The only time I listen to sports radio anymore is driving to the pool in the morning, and maybe its just something I've noticed since I've 'checked out' on football, but holy crap do those guys talk about the Draft a ton. For weeks leading it up to it...and then for weeks afterwards. Its like the sportsradio buffalo, that can feed the tribe for months.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I love Wright Thompson, but I FUCKING HATE these kinds of pieces.

First off, what's the proof Dale Murphy never juiced when there's compelling arguments that a lot of guys who played in the 60s and 70s were taking all kinds of stuff that would be considered illegal now or at least sketchy as best?

Also, it's a ridiculous argument that if he had juiced he would have hit x more home runs. Maybe he would have torn his triceps lifting one day and hit 100 less home runs. I just hate, hate, hate the counterfactual histories involved in baseball thanks to PEDs. This kind of shit is arguably worse than the takes that super, super elite guys like Bonds and Clemens don't deserve entry in the Hall of Fame ever because...reasons.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

brian wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:52 am I love Wright Thompson, but I FUCKING HATE these kinds of pieces.

First off, what's the proof Dale Murphy never juiced when there's compelling arguments that a lot of guys who played in the 60s and 70s were taking all kinds of stuff that would be considered illegal now or at least sketchy as best?

Also, it's a ridiculous argument that if he had juiced he would have hit x more home runs. Maybe he would have torn his triceps lifting one day and hit 100 less home runs. I just hate, hate, hate the counterfactual histories involved in baseball thanks to PEDs. This kind of shit is arguably worse than the takes that super, super elite guys like Bonds and Clemens don't deserve entry in the Hall of Fame ever because...reasons.
Haven't read this one yet, but I'm really blown away by the decline in quality from Wright and Chris Jones. These guys were Pedro and Clemens just a few years ago.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I'll kind of give him a pass on this one because it's obvious Dale Murphy is one of his heroes (he admits as much at the top of the piece), so...whatevs.

But I'll agree also that his quality has gone way, way down in the last couple or so years and I have no idea why.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I don't give him a pass because grownups shouldn't be blind to athletes they loved as kids and also because of Ruben Sierra.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:19 am I don't give him a pass because grownups shouldn't be blind to athletes they loved as kids and also because of Ruben Sierra.
Dave Parker is a saint!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

brian wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:18 amBut I'll agree also that his quality has gone way, way down in the last couple or so years and I have no idea why.
We are literally out of southern people
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Ryan wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:29 am
brian wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:18 amBut I'll agree also that his quality has gone way, way down in the last couple or so years and I have no idea why.
There's still Spencer Hall but if something happens to him I might have to just move to a cave with no internet access.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:41 am
There's still Spencer Hall but if something happens to him I might have to just move to a cave with no internet access.

You REALLY liked Thailand!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

brian wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:41 am
Seriously. I'm really enjoying the addition of Holly Anderson to the Fullcast regulars, btw.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Scheduled for "The Ocho" Day (8/8).

I just assume wlu_lax takes the day off work for this every year.

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Well fuck me running. ESPN now charging $5/month to watch online even if you are logged in to your provider.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:49 am Well fuck me running. ESPN now charging $5/month to watch online even if you are logged in to your provider.
Yeah, that started in the spring if I remember right. I've been waiting for football season to sign up, though I'll have to by then since that's where all of the MAC games are.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Is it just be or is ESPN, whose new network President has pledged to make nice with the NFL, focusing on preseason NFL games more than ever before?

I know the NFL is the country’s dominant sport but these are completely meaningless exhibitions with little to no predictive value. I really don’t think there’s a need for countless stories and video about “what we learned” from each week of the preseason. Every day there are several National League games with playoff implications, the European soccer season has started up, and the US Open starts on Monday so it’s not like there aren’t other sports to cover.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Joe K wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:22 am Is it just be or is ESPN, whose new network President has pledged to make nice with the NFL, focusing on preseason NFL games more than ever before?

I know the NFL is the country’s dominant sport but these are completely meaningless exhibitions with little to no predictive value. I really don’t think there’s a need for countless stories and video about “what we learned” from each week of the preseason. Every day there are several National League games with playoff implications, the European soccer season has started up, and the US Open starts on Monday so it’s not like there aren’t other sports to cover.
Like it or not, NFL is king in this country, and even in a diminished state, the ratings still prove it. So, it is just good business for ESPN to focus on football. I hate ESPN for (among other things) ignoring my favorite sport, hockey, but I have to recognize that ESPN's focus on the NBA over the NHL is mainly just for business reasons. Much the same with football right now.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

FYI Insider is now part of ESPN+ so more value for that purchase. Also when you sign up, it (at least Apple) defaults to the $4.99/mo option and doesn't give you the yearly $49.99 option. I had to go into the app store (you can only manage sub. from how you ordered it) a day later and change the option. I was only billed after the 7 day free trial.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Rams Fanny wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:18 pm FYI Insider is now part of ESPN+ so more value for that purchase. Also when you sign up, it (at least Apple) defaults to the $4.99/mo option and doesn't give you the yearly $49.99 option. I had to go into the app store (you can only manage sub. from how you ordered it) a day later and change the option. I was only billed after the 7 day free trial.
They were offering a 30-day free trial when I signed up for it Saturday.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I just signed up and the option for the full year was there though I did it on my computer so not sure if that matters. Considering Insider costs something like $39 a year(?) if you're getting the Insider stuff that's a pretty good deal. I'd pay it regardless because it's the only way to get MAC games.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Such a Rovell thing to say.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Not surprising, considering that the Action Network is headed by the former editor of ESPN the Magazine.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

How much would you have bet (right now, 3 years ago, whatever) that if Rick Nash retired on the same day that Tim Tebow proposed to his Miss Universe girlfriend, the former would be higher up on ESPN's website?
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A great question is, "Can an asshole see the light and become a good guy?" Or, is an asshole and asshole, and all he can become is an asshole who no longer acts like one in public?

ESPN hires Ryan Leaf to call college football games.

Yes, the guy who has mainly been known for his status as an all-time NFL draft bust, a multiple-time convict who did prison time, and for general assholery, as seen in the clip below, starting at 2:40. Maybe he is reformed and no longer a jerk. Who knows? It’s interesting to see Leaf, a guy who had many prominent run-ins with the media during his NFL career in particular, now working as a member of the media.

Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I'm guessing you haven't been paying much attention to Ryan Leaf over the last few years then?
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:25 am I'm guessing you haven't been paying much attention to Ryan Leaf over the last few years then?
Nope, what's the story? Guy's like this, my first assumption is mental illness or a personality disorder.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:05 pm
Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:25 am I'm guessing you haven't been paying much attention to Ryan Leaf over the last few years then?
Nope, what's the story? Guy's like this, my first assumption is mental illness or a personality disorder.
Nice redemption story. Sorry if my response didn't have enough snark.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

yeah, I just found the framing odd because there's enough evidence out there now to make the very reasonable assumption that Leaf is truly reformed. he's been back in the public eye and acting reformed for long enough that if he wasn't actually no longer a jerk he'd be an award-winning actor.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:26 pm yeah, I just found the framing odd because there's enough evidence out there now to make the very reasonable assumption that Leaf is truly reformed. he's been back in the public eye and acting reformed for long enough that if he wasn't actually no longer a jerk he'd be an award-winning actor.
And I haven't heard the name Ryan Leaf in probably 5+ years, last remember was hearing he was convicted of some crime, so for me (and I'll assume Sancarlos), it was extremely surprising to hear ESPN hired Leaf.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:31 pm
Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:26 pm yeah, I just found the framing odd because there's enough evidence out there now to make the very reasonable assumption that Leaf is truly reformed. he's been back in the public eye and acting reformed for long enough that if he wasn't actually no longer a jerk he'd be an award-winning actor.
And I haven't heard the name Ryan Leaf in probably 5+ years, last remember was hearing he was convicted of some crime, so for me (and I'll assume Sancarlos), it was extremely surprising to hear ESPN hired Leaf.
Yep.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Yeah guys, make sure to closely follow the life progression of every draft bust. I'm gonna go check on Greg Oden's instagram now.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I assume Charles Rogers is still in prison? I don't have the heart to follow that shitshow. That whole thing was heartbreaking.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

EdRomero wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:21 am Yeah guys, make sure to closely follow the life progression of every draft bust. I'm gonna go check on Greg Oden's instagram now.
this is going to come off as snarky when it isn't, but if ESPN hired a guy like Ryan Leaf to call college football games, wouldn't it make sense and be safe to assume that he was actually no longer an asshole even if you had not been following his reformation?

that's why I thought the framing was weird in the first place. this isn't the ESPN regime that hired Rush Limbaugh to Sunday Countdown. and if you can find a video of him being an asshole via google, you can sure find a story or 10 about the changes he's made. Or that he worked as an analyst for the Pac-12 Network in 2018.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

It's also the same network that gave Curt Schilling quadruple secret probation about 10 times for being a Nazi sympathizer. I'm not being contrary, I do get your point. It seems ridiculous on its face they would put a crackhead in the announcing booth, but it's also not necessarily been well-reported that he's been on the straight and narrow for quite some time.

(Also, there are probably a total of about three people in The Swamp who get the Pac-12 Network and I'm one of them and even then that's only because I finally got pissed off enough at DirecTV to switch to cable and happen to live on the West Coast.)
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:35 am
EdRomero wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:21 am Yeah guys, make sure to closely follow the life progression of every draft bust. I'm gonna go check on Greg Oden's instagram now.
this is going to come off as snarky when it isn't, but if ESPN hired a guy like Ryan Leaf to call college football games, wouldn't it make sense and be safe to assume that he was actually no longer an asshole even if you had not been following his reformation?

that's why I thought the framing was weird in the first place. this isn't the ESPN regime that hired Rush Limbaugh to Sunday Countdown. and if you can find a video of him being an asshole via google, you can sure find a story or 10 about the changes he's made. Or that he worked as an analyst for the Pac-12 Network in 2018.
It's really possible to answer questions without being a prick. You're the only one on here that does that constantly.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Hey ...
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

mister d wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:46 pmHey ...
Ha!

=-=-=-=-=

I watched the ESPN mini-doc they did on Leaf (E:60), which is actually pretty amazing if you haven't seen it. But I'm a nerd for documentaries and/or longform reporting, so I watch most of what ESPN puts out (including 30 for 30).

It doesn't surprise me tiny bit that most folks only know Leaf from him being an ASSHOLE in the NFL (I'd argue he was the same in college. I first became aware of him when MI beat WSU in the Rose Bowl... And he came off as a cocky douche back then) and then getting into serious trouble with the law due to drug addiction.

Given he's on my radar, I honed in on the E:60 segment, but that's pretty specific to me.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

brian wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:43 am It's also the same network that gave Curt Schilling quadruple secret probation about 10 times for being a Nazi sympathizer. I'm not being contrary, I do get your point. It seems ridiculous on its face they would put a crackhead in the announcing booth, but it's also not necessarily been well-reported that he's been on the straight and narrow for quite some time.

(Also, there are probably a total of about three people in The Swamp who get the Pac-12 Network and I'm one of them and even then that's only because I finally got pissed off enough at DirecTV to switch to cable and happen to live on the West Coast.)
I was going to make a joke about no one getting the Pac-12 Network. I had it typed out and everything. Should have done that to not be a prick!

ETA: I'm also not sure why I'm a prick for saying someone shouldn't assume the worst about someone else without taking the time to do even the slightest of cursory research. But whatever!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:59 pm
brian wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:43 am It's also the same network that gave Curt Schilling quadruple secret probation about 10 times for being a Nazi sympathizer. I'm not being contrary, I do get your point. It seems ridiculous on its face they would put a crackhead in the announcing booth, but it's also not necessarily been well-reported that he's been on the straight and narrow for quite some time.

I was going to make a joke about no one getting the Pac-12 Network. I had it typed out and everything. Should have done that to not be a prick!

ETA: I'm also not sure why I'm a prick for saying someone shouldn't assume the worst about someone else without taking the time to do even the slightest of cursory research. But whatever!
Have you ever even been to a message board before? If so, you’d know there are many times people ask questions that could easily be answered by a quick Google. #bronto’d
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

there would be no apostrophe in that hashtag because there is no possessive. instead, since it is a verb it would be #brontoed

lol you just got brontoed on your attempted bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

“Well actually, Ashton, it’s you who have been Punked!”