The WWLIS Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: The WWLIS Thread

Post by mister d »

Ryan wrote:Area Man Retweets Meme, Public Expects Thought Behind It
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

And actually, I think he was hacked. Why keep forwarding the version with Hitler in it when he could have replaced him with his kid wearing Nazi memorabilia like on his Facebook page? That's not the showman we know.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote:There would be a suicide bombing somewhere at least every week if not more.
There are, but the Liberal Media doesn't report them.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

rass wrote:
Joe K wrote:People routinely are given a pass for saying derogatory things about Muslims that would never be tolerated if directed against any other group.
I know it's a joke to you but it's a terrifying and lonely experience for a fuck ton of people. That you think it's funny just proves my point.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote:
rass wrote:
Joe K wrote:People routinely are given a pass for saying derogatory things about Muslims that would never be tolerated if directed against any other group.
I know it's a joke to you but it's a terrifying and lonely experience for a fuck ton of people. That you think it's funny just proves my point.
To be fair, we make jokes about racism, sexism, and at the expense of just about everyone and everything. I do agree with your general premise though.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Oh fuck off. I think it's funny that almost everyone here knows the wording of that sentence would never get past you. That's it.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Oh Jesus...I don't mean to imply that we can't joke about whatever the fuck we want. You're not going to offend me. It's just that Rass' joke is that it's somehow tiresome when I bring up that particular kind of bigotry. Tell that to my junior high schooler who has to pretend to be something she's not at the risk of being ostracized and bullied.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Are kids really into the religion these days?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Jerloma wrote:It's just that Rass' joke is that it's somehow tiresome when I bring up that particular kind of bigotry.
I would have gone with endearing.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

According to this poll, Muslims and atheists are the two most disfavored groups in America, with comparable disapproval ratings: http://www.pewforum.org/2014/07/16/how- ... us-groups/

But I don't think any group is actively targeted by the U.S. Government (bombing campaigns, FBI entrapment schemes, mass surveillance, etc.) to anywhere near the degree that Muslims are.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

mister d wrote:Are kids really into the religion these days?
Dude, we're like the South of the North. Seriously...it's bad. Teachers too.
I would have gone with endearing.
Alright. I'll take it. You get to stay in the Top 10.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Joe K wrote:According to this poll, Muslims and atheists are the two most disfavored groups in America, with comparable disapproval ratings: http://www.pewforum.org/2014/07/16/how- ... us-groups/

But I don't think any group is actively targeted by the U.S. Government (bombing campaigns, FBI entrapment schemes, mass surveillance, etc.) to anywhere near the degree that Muslims are.
Well yeah and not to defend Schilling, but which one of those groups are more likely to threaten US security?

I realize that most Muslims ignore most of the violent commands of their holy book and we should all be thankful for that but the Qur'an is still a book that's hellbent on world domination.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Schilling not officially "suspended" but did get pulled from LLWS coverage. Guessing ESPN ultimately does nothing else. Somehow Schilling always manages to duck punishment from WWLIS. Their punishment is even more inconsistent than Goodell.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

I predict Schilling is done at ESPN for good. People have started looking at his Facebook page and he has posted some other really inflammatory stuff there, such as pro-Confederate flag memes.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'm pretty sure ESPN doesn't want to risk upsetting the large "southern white racist moron" faction of their consumer base.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

mister d wrote:I'm pretty sure ESPN doesn't want to risk upsetting the large "southern white racist moron" faction of their consumer base.
Come on, PAAAAWWWWWWWL.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote:I'm pretty sure ESPN doesn't want to risk upsetting the large "southern white racist moron" faction of their consumer base.
CFB starts next week. Plenty of cover.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote:
D, you remember that HS girl who received 100s of death threats because she called out a public school for hanging banners with prayers on them in the gym? The entire town lost their collective minds. That was in JLo's region.

When asked about my religion, I always say Jewish. Who'd have thunk people would have to claim to be Jewish to hide their true religious beliefs? I think this is a major reason why surveys show Atheists/Agnostics as being a much smaller number than it really is. Most of the Jews I know are at best indifferent about God's existence. I know a lot of Christians who fee the same way, but would probably claim the religion they were raised rather than saying "Atheist" on a survey.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

"Raised catholic but ..." is my go to.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

FWIW, I live in the South and my 11-year-old is pretty openly athiest.

Granted, my kids' school is pretty fucking (OK, extremely) granola, but still.
Totally Kafkaesque
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

More advanced stats in there.

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

The Sybian wrote:
Jerloma wrote:
D, you remember that HS girl who received 100s of death threats because she called out a public school for hanging banners with prayers on them in the gym? The entire town lost their collective minds. That was in JLo's region.
And while that took a lot of guts, it actually made it worse. You can't even say that word anymore without people cringing. While it should have made people realize the problem with mixing religion and government, it actually just amped up the persecution complex tenfold. I'd be proud for her courage but I'd also be really nervous if my kid were to admit she's an atheist in that school.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

My Twitter mentions are a disaster right now because of Schilling
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Brontoburglar wrote:My Twitter mentions are a disaster right now because of Schilling
Yeah, I saw you were quoted.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Of course, none of this lends any credence to the idea that you can say whatever you want about Muslims and get a pass.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Brontoburglar wrote:My Twitter mentions are a disaster right now because of Schilling
So these people honestly believe that in 1940 only 7% of Germans were Nazis? They seem to be very proud of this "fact" and how it scares pussies like Bronto. I get that people may not know much history, but Jesus. This is pretty easy to check these days. It's not even close to a "fact."
Totally Kafkaesque
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Jerloma wrote:Of course, none of this lends any credence to the idea that you can say whatever you want about Muslims and get a pass.
Not going to do this now while I'm at work but I'm confident that I can pull together a list of 10 quotes about Muslims from current U.S. Congressmen or Presidential candidates that would likely be career ending if said about any other major religious or ethnic group. Maybe later tonight.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Shirley wrote:
So these people honestly believe that in 1940 only 7% of Germans were Nazis? They seem to be very proud of this "fact" and how it scares pussies like Bronto. I get that people may not know much history, but Jesus. This is pretty easy to check these days. It's not even close to a "fact."
Irony?

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Shirley wrote:
Provided that they would...you know...kill you for not being a Nazi, it really does seem like a low number. Fuck, I'd be a Scientologist if it prevented me from being murdered by my government.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Actually, looking at just those officially in the party, 7% might be right. But it ignores that they took power years earlier and outlawed all other parties. So the numbers who were officially in were kind of irrelevant at that point, since the Nazis ran the entire government and had done so for years. And in the elections in the early 30s, they received very high percentages, regardless of the number of people who officially were in the party.

So, I'll give them their fact, but not at all their interpreted meaning of that fact.
Totally Kafkaesque
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

mister d wrote:"Raised catholic but ..." is my go to.

I go with either "escaped Mormon" or "mormon against my will...". That seems to work.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Joe K wrote:
Jerloma wrote:Of course, none of this lends any credence to the idea that you can say whatever you want about Muslims and get a pass.
Not going to do this now while I'm at work but I'm confident that I can pull together a list of 10 quotes about Muslims from current U.S. Congressmen or Presidential candidates that would likely be career ending if said about any other major religious or ethnic group. Maybe later tonight.
You don't have to. I believe it. The reason it's not career-ending though is because they're just echoing the sentiments of their party. If a tea party candidate makes some ridiculous generalization about Muslims, not only will his/her constituents not care or fact-check it, they'll be way more apt to vote for them. This is also often true if they say something racist or misogynistic. That's just job security.

It's the liberals who get outraged when anyone says anything about Islam or Muslims. Pissing off the liberals is the tea party's whole reason for fucking existing. They're not at liberty to fire them though. Try to find an example of a democrat or a liberalish public figure who is not a politician make an anti-Muslim remark without any public backlash. How many liberals try to disassociate themselves from someone like Bill Maher because he's unapologetic about Islam?
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Jerloma wrote:
Joe K wrote:
You don't have to. I believe it. The reason it's not career-ending though is because they're just echoing the sentiments of their party. If a tea party candidate makes some ridiculous generalization about Muslims, not only will his/her constituents not care or fact-check it, they'll be way more apt to vote for them. This is also often true if they say something racist or misogynistic. That's just job security.

It's the liberals who get outraged when anyone says anything about Islam or Muslims. Pissing off the liberals is the tea party's whole reason for fucking existing. They're not at liberty to fire them though. Try to find an example of a democrat or a liberalish public figure who is not a politician make an anti-Muslim remark without any public backlash. How many liberals try to disassociate themselves from someone like Bill Maher because he's unapologetic about Islam?
Challenge accepted. I'll limit my search to Democratic politicians/operatives and am still confident I can come up with plenty of examples.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Shirley wrote:Actually, looking at just those officially in the party, 7% might be right. But it ignores that they took power years earlier and outlawed all other parties. So the numbers who were officially in were kind of irrelevant at that point, since the Nazis ran the entire government and had done so for years. And in the elections in the early 30s, they received very high percentages, regardless of the number of people who officially were in the party.

So, I'll give them their fact, but not at all their interpreted meaning of that fact.
There is an extremely dangerous thing that Islam and Naziism have in common and it has nothing to do with their principles or percentage of extremists. It's that they have/had control over governments and enforce a totalitarian regime. Same goes for Communism. Same goes for Roman Catholicism before the secular revolution. Institutions that create an environment where they are beyond criticism will always slip into tyranny.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

What did you say? I'm not on the Tweeters. Hasn't Schilling gotten in trouble several times for posting stupid shit on social media? Notice no apology or taking back what he said, just taking responsibility for being stupid enough to post it.
-Pruitt
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

The Sybian wrote:
What did you say? I'm not on the Tweeters. Hasn't Schilling gotten in trouble several times for posting stupid shit on social media? Notice no apology or taking back what he said, just taking responsibility for being stupid enough to post it.
It's not what I said (sigh) but that it was picked up by my compadres because I was one of the first to screenshot the tweet. So mass distribution = fun times in Twitterland.

A guy also just tweeted me "we" in response to a general tweet I sent about people supporting Schilling, meaning he was in support of Schilling. But he clearly doesn't like him from his way-too-many tweets on the topic. Weird day.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote:
Shirley wrote:
Irony?

Did Hitler really say that, or has it just been attributed to him so many times that we believe he's the one who said it?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I think it is in Mein Kampf. Unironically.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…