On Cinema

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

On Cinema

Post by brian »

Has anyone else seen this web series done by Adult Swim?

Your enjoyment is going to depend on how you feel about Tim Heidecker and how much appetite you have for the absurd and bizarre, but I don't think I've ever seen anything like it. It's been on for like 10 years, but I only just started watching it.

It's basically a complete deconstruction of both the idea of web shows, as well as a satire of movie review shows, but the "gag" is that as the show continues it becomes more and more bizarre and less about actual film reviews.

Each episode is between about 5 and 12 minutes and there's about 10 episodes per season and when the show starts out, it's essentially playing it straight as a film review show, albeit with Heidecker and his "guest host" completely clueless about movies and how to effectively host a show, so not treading too much different ground than "Between Two Ferns" or "Check It Out With Dr. Steve Brule" (the latter, also produced by Heidecker).

Without giving too much away, the show is on Season 11 now though I haven't gotten through all of the episodes and I think the funny part is about how the show just seems to come apart little by little over 10 years. I guess there's a pretty decent-sized cult following online and now the show has been cancelled by Adult Swim, but is going to switch to a fan-produced model.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt
The Dude

Re: On Cinema

Post by Pruitt »

Will definitely check it out.

He's great in small doses.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Here's a helpful website for managing the On Cinema Cinematic Universe, which includes On Cinema of course, as well as Decker, Dekkar, The Trial and Mister America.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Here's just one great 6-minute video to explain what this is all about.

https://oncinematimeline.com/season-D2/episode-14

That's the 14th episdde of the second season of a show that is only loosely related to the main show (On Cinema) for which there's now an entire world built around including a paid website which will be airing upcoming seasons.

Incredible commitment to a bit, maybe the best meta commentary on modern podcasting.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

liking it so far.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Pruitt wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:20 pm liking it so far.
I wouldn't recommend it to most people because honestly it took me into Seasons Four or Five to really, really start committing to the bit myself and you have to buy into this imaginary world run by an insane, barely literate Trump fanatic who does insipid online movie reviews and really horrible action series amongst other quirks. I found that was the trick though. Once I let myself go with it and was able to completely suspend all belief and jump into the Fourth Wall I found I couldn't get enough. (The Oscar specials really help with this, frankly. Most people would think it's too indulgent to watch a three-hour Oscar special with these guys in-character but they've done it like SEVEN times now and somehow you start believing this world is real after watching one of those (I haven't caught the most recent one from Sunday yet though. I did see the latest video update on HEI Network though and it looks like it was a trainwreck.)
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I mean, really once Decker starts that's when what they're trying to do here really started to click in my head. (That On Cinema Timeline website is pretty indispensable come Season Five or so. That's when you need to be watching in-order the Decker episodes mixed into the On Cinema episodes to get the full effect.)

Anyway, never forget that "Our Country's Values Are Under Attack"

ah na na na na na
This country's yours and mine
Its the home of brave and free
it's the place for you and me
ah na na na na na
It's Only a Matter of Time
'till we get things back on track
Our Values are under attack
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I’m up to The Trial of Tim Heidecker now and I don’t think I’ve ever laughed so hard as I did to them paying off a joke from six years before (Gregg confusing Star Trek II with Star Trek IV).
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Started in on this. A few eps into S3. Gregg kills me — has the best smug face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

P.D.X. wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 3:40 pm Started in on this. A few eps into S3. Gregg kills me — has the best smug face.
I started out as a Gregghead, then was a staunch Unityhead, but now I'm starting to become a Timhead. The show starts to play tricks with your head somehow.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Hey, Greggheads and Timheads (and I guess you wacko Unityheads), new season of On Cinema starts Oct. 6

Hopefully a new season of Decker soon after that too.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Excellent review (and description) of On Cinema to occasion the start of Season 12.