Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines! What a great place it’s a great place to start!

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines! What a great place it’s a great place to start!

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Did not have a thread for random US Military articles..so I picked a recruiting theme I remember from Stripes as the title.

And it was just finding a place for this article. Those Bulgarian Olive Oil companies did not know what hit them.

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-mili ... Insider%29
Rush2112
The Dude

Re: Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines! What a great place it’s a great place to start!

Post by Rush2112 »

You know how it is with the military. Oil is oil.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
P.D.X.
The Dude

Re: Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines! What a great place it’s a great place to start!

Post by P.D.X. »

We apologized? Emailing Crenshaw...
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Oh man, that link provides video. Hahahahaa. Fucking Army.

The unit I was assigned to in Germany jumped with the 173rd. If I was jump qualified like I wanted to be at the time I could've jumped with them too.

But securing a building that should've been completely off limits isn't what we would've done. Our folks are only trained to secure the airfield itself and not kick in doors.

Overall, massive, massive failure. The amount of planning that goes into an exercise and the Rehearsal of Concept drills the Army loves doing clearly didn't designate this building as "out of play" aggressively enough.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

👀

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

You were clearly holding your clipboard upside down.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Clearly they let the physical fitness aspect slide while in Korea.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

That's the whole Air Force collectively. You can blame COVID. I last took my PT test in April 2019. Won't need to do it again until April 2022. And then I'll retire later in the year.

PT tests are coming back on 1 July and they've switched up the points system. They turfed the waist measurement.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

More like WASTE measurements, amiright?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:36 am You were clearly holding your clipboard upside down.
Presidential school of holding stuff in pictures.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This dude's debt, family size, and incoherence in money management is all to common in the military.

And yes, we have all the tools available to get better at this.

Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Wow. That just got better (worse) and better (worser). And that dude was blaming his wife and her vacations! They're making a combined $150K/yr with $235K in debt and driving $120K in new cars? WTF? My wife and I both drive 2015 cars and we make WAY more than that.

I mean, this isn't even complicated math. It's simple stunning to me how hard it is for so many people to deny themselves anything. These people just decided they should be new expensive car people, facts be damned. I wonder how they're even getting the loans for these things.
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Shirley wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:42 pm Wow. That just got better (worse) and better (worser). And that dude was blaming his wife and her vacations! They're making a combined $150K/yr with $235K in debt and driving $120K in new cars? WTF? My wife and I both drive 2015 cars and we make WAY more than that.

I mean, this isn't even complicated math. It's simple stunning to me how hard it is for so many people to deny themselves anything. These people just decided they should be new expensive car people, facts be damned. I wonder how they're even getting the loans for these things.
Freedom Loans, duh.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

We've never had even half that value in cars.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:54 pm We've never had even half that value in cars.
I've got three and even at sticker price i'm still outclassed.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

We’re in solid shape, money-wise, and we choose to own/drive a 2010 Ford Escape and a 2015 Ford Fusion. Cars have never been a place I wanted to park my money. (Pun!)

But the wife wants a Tesla.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Shirley wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:42 pm Wow. That just got better (worse) and better (worser). And that dude was blaming his wife and her vacations! They're making a combined $150K/yr with $235K in debt and driving $120K in new cars? WTF? My wife and I both drive 2015 cars and we make WAY more than that.

And when he said that he couldn't get rid of his truck because he needed it for his camper that he isn't living out of....ooooof.

I actually laughed out loud. Thank you for your service!
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

You will never go broke underestimating the stupidity of the average person.

But that caller probably still could.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:17 am You will never go broke underestimating the stupidity of the average person.

But that caller probably still could.
Ha! Man, I got so much anxiety listening to that guy's debt. When he was talking about the cars, I made the same misinterpretation as the hosts, I thought he owed $10K on each car, not $10K over the value of the cars. WTF? If I can't pay cash, I'm not getting a new car. I did do a 0%APR financing once, as there was a couple grand discount on purchasing with a manufacturer loan, but I paid in full on the first bill. That was hilarious how they saw through him blaming his wife. How do people live like that? I was driving a 2010 Camry until a couple years ago, and we were making a hell of a lot more. Cars are about the only thing aren't way more expensive in the Northeast, and it blows my mind the percentage of income people in the rest of the country spend on their cars. I mean, that guy's car debt could buy a decent house in my parent's town.

Then again, I'm the same guy who is too cheap to spend money on website subscriptions.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I shoulda been a lawyer or whatever the hell it is that Shirley does.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Space Force insignia:

Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Not that my opinion matters, but I'm kind of pissed that they're not using naval ranks like in every science fiction thing ever.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Maritime law!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The Space Force’s new service dress and PT uniforms have landed

(Yes, every movie or TV show set in space has been compared to these uniforms. It's even been compared to "bellhop at the upscale hotel" too.)

HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Needs a tailor. Pants are horribly ill fitting especially sista girl
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

HaulCitgo wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:46 am Needs a tailor. Pants are horribly ill fitting especially sista girl
It looks like they are wearing them backwards.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:57 am
HaulCitgo wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:46 am Needs a tailor. Pants are horribly ill fitting especially sista girl
The Trump cut. Appropriate.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:10 am
tennbengal wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:57 am
The Trump cut. Appropriate.
Ha! You can tell, but the ties are 8 inches too long, too.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This is gold:

Also, the Air Force was created in 1947. So that's why that phone number was probably used.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

That reminds me of one of my favorite stand-up jokes I heard growing up, talking about celebrity houses in Hollywood. "That's the house where the original Superman, George Reeves, shot himself. Faster than a speeding bullet? I don't think so!"
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

No bullshit, this docu-series on AF Basic Training is exceptionally well done.

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Confirmed.

Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Went down to our beach condo last weekend and saw that some folks who live down there permanently decided on their own (maybe the board knew?) to put up 6 new flag poles around our much-larger US flagpole and fly a flag for each of the military branches. Yes, including Space Force. Our condo now looks like it's a VA hospital or retirement home for veterans. It fucking pisses me off, but our condo Facebook page is full of fawning praise for the "beautiful flags." Hopefully that shit's only flying because it was Veteran's Day weekend.
Totally Kafkaesque
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ha. We took the day off yesterday and walked around asbury park and were curious about the little town to the north if you get to the end of the boardwalk. On the first block, there was a “Let’s Go Brandon” flag. Knowing the owners are almost certainly retirees, I can’t imagine a sadder way to run out their clocks.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

We call the town on the south end of the boardwalk Ocean Grave.

ETA: This past weekend I also unsubscribed from emailings from our main realtor at the shore town we go to every summer because he (accidentally?) sent out an email to his rental client list that seemed to be intended for the list he uses in his role as the president of the Ocean City (NJ) Republican Club announcing that Ciattarelli was conceding but promising to rise again.

I wonder if he sent out an "oops!" and I missed it because I was already off the list?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Even for a dry town, Ocean Grove has a weird vibe (but a solid ice cream place).
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:29 am Even for a dry town, Ocean Grove has a weird vibe (but a solid ice cream place).
That's what I keep hearing/reading, but we've somehow never gone despite my wife being an ice cream superfreak. I really like Cookman Creamery (lavender).
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I should love Cookman but something there is off for me. Maybe the two times I've had I've picked poorly or too sweet versions?