The Vacation Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: The Vacation Thread

Post by A_B »

EnochRoot wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:04 pm So wife and I are headed to the Borderland Music Festival in September (it's in East Aurora, NY, which is just outside Buffalo).

Outside of Niagara Falls State Park, what's to do in Buffalo? Am I going to have a good time? Is there like, so much to do that we may as well bag one of the days at the festival?
You want some apples? I got a guy. Tell him AB sent you.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:37 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:04 pm So wife and I are headed to the Borderland Music Festival in September (it's in East Aurora, NY, which is just outside Buffalo).

Outside of Niagara Falls State Park, what's to do in Buffalo? Am I going to have a good time? Is there like, so much to do that we may as well bag one of the days at the festival?
It's been [checks watch] 23 years since I've lived in Buffalo, so I'm not much help. If you are going to Niagara Falls, definitely hit the Canadian side (if they are letting us in the country again), US side is bullshit. I've heard they've done a tremendous job restoring downtown Buffalo. Even in my 4 years, they did a lot to start turning it around.
There will be one person in our party that won't have a passport. Not sure it's worth it to lean on him to get one before then, or is it?

I guess I should expand the question. If I'm up there for a week, and I spend a couple days in Buffaloland. Do I head to Rochester or Oswego to finish out the week?
Noli Timere Messorem
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Just drove by the birthplace of Funny Cide. BEAT THAT.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

EnochRoot wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:36 pm There will be one person in our party that won't have a passport. Not sure it's worth it to lean on him to get one before then, or is it?
Well seeing that my wife paid for expedited delivery & processing 10 days ago and her renewal hasn't even been delivered yet I don't think he'd be able to get it back in time.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Ryan wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:53 am Just drove by the birthplace of Funny Cide. BEAT THAT.
I guess I could go try to get a selfie with him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Ryan wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:53 am Just drove by the birthplace of Funny Cide. BEAT THAT.
So THAT's what is causing the Swamply Connect delays?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Let me find out the birthplaces of Empire Maker and Ten Most Wanted and I will...
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Our trip to Napoli/Amalfi, which was originally scheduled for May '20, then rescheduled as our honeymoon this coming September, we are now bumping to April '22 since Italy is now on Level 3 severity for COVID.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

L-Jam3 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:55 pm Our trip to Napoli/Amalfi, which was originally scheduled for May '20, then rescheduled as our honeymoon this coming September, we are now bumping to April '22 since Italy is now on Level 3 severity for COVID.
Ya our Belgium trip that was supposed to be the 10th wedding anniversary in 2020...well let's put that off until the 15th.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

I've been debating about our Croatia/Slovenia, etc. trip we have coming up in September. We are already having to change plans and drop Budapest since we cannot fly in without quarantining. As it stands right now flying into Vienna; train to Slovenia then rent a car for Slovenia, Bosnia & Croatia. Flying from Split to London for a few days before coming home.

Looking for opinions...would you guys postpone the trip or try and power through? As of right now we have to get tested before going to London (I heard we have to get tested right before or when we get back into the U.S. but I haven't verified that yet) but I think that is it.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

We were thinking of postponing even before the slowness of getting the wife's passport processed just because I didn't want things to change super rapidly right before we went or while we were in Belgium. I didn't want something we really planned on to not be available, basically.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

GoodKarma wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:36 pm I've been debating about our Croatia/Slovenia, etc. trip we have coming up in September. We are already having to change plans and drop Budapest since we cannot fly in without quarantining. As it stands right now flying into Vienna; train to Slovenia then rent a car for Slovenia, Bosnia & Croatia. Flying from Split to London for a few days before coming home.

Looking for opinions...would you guys postpone the trip or try and power through? As of right now we have to get tested before going to London (I heard we have to get tested right before or when we get back into the U.S. but I haven't verified that yet) but I think that is it.
I would postpone. I would think a later trip under "normal" conditions would be more enjoyable (more relaxing/less stressful) with people out and about, places and events open, etc., especially with not having to worry about the potential of changing regulations while you cross borders, board various forms of transportation, etc.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I was going to research the state of the Central European hospital systems, but then I realized I’d need a baseline of the American hospital system, and then I got depressed and said fuck it.

I wouldn’t go. But it’s not like I trust the American hospital system from being overrun by a bunch of knuckle-dragging morons who refused vaccines.
Noli Timere Messorem
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

A_B wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:54 am Awesome. COVID hotspot on Jacksonville/Amelia Island area ten days before heading there.
Absolutely nothing to make you think anything unusual going on. Meanwhile Nassau Co. took the top spot in USA. Good fun though.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

HaulCitgo wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:28 pm
A_B wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:54 am Awesome. COVID hotspot on Jacksonville/Amelia Island area ten days before heading there.
Absolutely nothing to make you think anything unusual going on. Meanwhile Nassau Co. took the top spot in USA. Good fun though.
We got in later than expected. All the tucking pizza places close at 9! The fucking ones too! But we went to Publix on way in so we didn’t starve. Saturday a big carry out/pizza night I suppose since everyone gets in. Looking forward to beach tomorrow.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Having a good time. Staying away from people. Thought I saw Graeme McDowell the golfer but saw same guy today and I don’t think it’s him. But he dropped a grand at the surf shop when we were behind him in line waiting to buy some sunglasses. So I couldn’t rule it out. So he’s likely a rich dude or terribly in debt.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Well boys.... You live and you learn. Turn the main water off when you go on vacation. Fucking pipe burst upstairs. Most ceilings caved in most floors destroyed and mold everywhere because I closed up tight. Insane damage. Kids start school this week. Wife spending cash for a hotel suite and no chance we get value back for our stuff. Fuck me. Insurance hell awaits.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Fucking nightmare man. Sorry.

(I used to turn the water off until 4 or 5 years ago when a pipe burst when I turned the water back on when we got home)
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

good lord - I am so sorry to hear that. Good luck.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Damn! That sucks, Citgo. I hope it gets a bit better and the insurance company pays up.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

That sticks Citgo. Water damage is no fun to deal with, and I imagine ours was quite bit less than yours.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Fuck dude, that sucks. Same thing happened to a family we met at our last apartment complex; they came back to most of the first floor flooded up to window level and the only apartment they could find in town was a two bedroom for them and their 3 kids. Good luck.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

HaulCitgo wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:33 pm Well boys.... You live and you learn. Turn the main water off when you go on vacation. Fucking pipe burst upstairs. Most ceilings caved in most floors destroyed and mold everywhere because I closed up tight. Insane damage. Kids start school this week. Wife spending cash for a hotel suite and no chance we get value back for our stuff. Fuck me. Insurance hell awaits.
Oh fuck mate....that's terrible. Sorry to hear it!
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Literally my nightmare. Sry 'citgo.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Can't really add much other than to say that sucks and good luck.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Oh man. I can sympathize. I've had a pipe in an upstairs pipe burst, and it's nightmare. I feel for you.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

That's a nightmare.

Hope your insurance people are human.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

That's brutal, Citgo. Hopefully you get some good news out of all of this.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

UGGHHH. Hope for the best out of that Citgo.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

On the positive, the hotel is nice. The not so good, no walls, floor or ceilings. I can see from the bedroom through the foyer through the dining room through the washer dryer room to the garage sheet rock. Whatever that thing at my address is, it's not a house. Starting to realize we won't be living there for months. Our schedules are pretty much unworkable now. Up before six to ride to bus for some normalcy and back from practice after 10pm. Not something we can keep up for any period of time.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Oh my god, Citgo. I'm so sorry.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Don’t sit on rocking chairs often enough.

Being on a deck, in some WV mountains, picking up second hand pot smoke from my aunt who I haven’t seen since thanksgiving 2019 is cool, too.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:01 pm Don’t sit on rocking chairs often enough.

Being on a deck, in some WV mountains, picking up second hand pot smoke from my aunt who I haven’t seen since thanksgiving 2019 is cool, too.
Why won't the bitch share?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

rass wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:01 pm Don’t sit on rocking chairs often enough.

All of this sounds amazing.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

She offered. Everyone is vaxxed and we’re sharing a house for the weekend but I’m not ready to share a pipe.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

rass wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:11 am She offered. Everyone is vaxxed and we’re sharing a house for the weekend but I’m not ready to share a pipe.
If you can rig up some kind of hand-held flame device you can disinfect the mouthpiece before hitting.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Go buy your own pipe and smoke along with her.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Meant to make a Mac-high-ver joke in response to the above, in real time. Jeez
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Anyway, beach beach beach, I love beach.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

in 8 days i'll be at the beach for 6 nights. then back to reality.

anyone want to host the six month pup? having a heck of a time getting that taken care off.