Copa Oro: It's Not Pretty, But It's Ours

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Re: Copa Oro: It's Not Pretty, But It's Ours

Post by Nonlinear FC »

A-dawg, explain to me what he's looking at? I truly wonder about this shit.

My buddy wants to start a podcast about USMNT, we watched the game tonight and he barely jokingly floated a conspiracy about MLS influence on Berhalter... Not playing some of these young Euro kids despite obviously being better options.

I tend to dismiss a lot of shit rambling out of hand, but when it comes to Zardes vs. Hoppe... WTF man?
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

It is beyond all reason. And also, the MLS thing. It's not really a conspiracy.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Right right... He thinks there's a formal, but secret agreement to play a certain number of MLS guys and that he gets paid for it and shit. I don't want to go too deep, but his shit is conspiracy-level shit, whereas I agree with you that he's still got some bullshit notion of elevating MLS beyond its actual level and overvaluing players that excel in that league.

I'm just... I'm getting old and I'm very tired of this bullshit MLS vs. the World fucking bullshit. It's a VERY GOOD feeder league. Make your money like Southampton and fucking move on. Bullshit American pride trying to act like we have to be the absolute best in everything when the reality is we'll NEVER top leagues that have been in existence for over 100 years for quality.

Drives me nuts.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

For MLS versus young Euro options..remember the USMNT has tried to play nice with the Euro clubs.

They are Letting the player get time with their clubs including preseason. For kids trying to make it onto the field that is a big deal.
Set the expectation that the USMNT won't just run their players into the dirt for meaningless international games.

These 2 are to encourage the euro teams to keep on brining Americans over.

But also this is also a roster that helps get the MLSers who are trying to move overseas a bit of support. Appearances matter and a chance to be scouted in these competitions matter. On the other hand I would have rather seen the US lock up some talent for players with multiple national team options (Ochoa).
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I have absolutely ZERO issue with not playing the A team in this tournament. ZERO. None. Not even in the discussion for me.

The issue is the guys he has on this roster and the approach to this game. Garbage. First off, he didn't bring in enough flank/winger players. Like, wtf is that? You have a job, you look at the roster, you flesh out your options. Really poor roster management.

But, back to me beating a dying horse, once a lineup is trotted out and you have 30-40 minutes of EYEBALL evidence that it's getting roasted, you make changes. That's a huge part of the job and have ZERO confidence that he knows what he's doing on that front.

I don't profess to be a soccer genius or anything, but when you can't possess the ball from, say, minute 25 or so...Why are you waiting to minute 75 to fix that?

Baffling.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

tb - I'm sorry I called you A-dawg.

I'm going to watch Lego Movie and chill out.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Scratch that, rewatching Ted Lasso.

(My buddy's birthday was in July, got him a $50 Apple gift card to force him to watch T Lasso. Dude is stubborn as fuck.)
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I didn't see a second. Busio play well before he got subbed off? Probably his final game in KC (sans future USMNT matches) after the transfer was finalized this weekend.

ETA: I guess Venezia is now my Serie A team with Busio and Tessman. Gives me an excuse to watch their games on Paramount Plus now.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A-dawg. Bengal’s new name!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Busio was almost completely invisible. I’ll give him a pass, I think it was more the formation and lack of possession. Team looked horrendous as a whole. Only reason we got the result was Canada lacking the class to score. Canada should have won that game, and a half decent team would have destroyed the US today.

I’ll just second NLFC’s comments, for whatever reason, Berhalter refused to change the formation and allowed Canada to dominate. 2 strikers are a waste of a man when you can’t get them the ball. Vines had 3 or 4 Ream moments, they should just send him home now.

A little concerned with the injuries to Zimmerman and Dike. It looked like an A/C separation, which means he’s out for the tournament, possibly a dislocation, which isn’t much better. Hope I’m wrong there.

That game was so boring, frustrating and devoid of talent, I’m seriously considering skipping the rest of the tournament.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

i just went and looked at the formation and stats ... a 5-3-2? Against Canada?
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Brontoburglar wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:58 am i just went and looked at the formation and stats ... a 5-3-2? Against Canada?
You have to bring the "eh" squad to get a result against Canada.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Brontoburglar wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:58 am i just went and looked at the formation and stats ... a 5-3-2? Against Canada?
I don't think that was the plan. But the plan went out the window when Zimmerman got hurt 15 minutes in, because Pines was really that bad.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

ESPN shows Zimmerman as the right-sided CB before he was pulled. Typically they show the starting formation in their box scores.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Sands was not playing on the backline. He was playing a 6, or a central holding midfielder, behind Busio. They basically played a 4132.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

sancarlos wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:11 pm A-dawg. Bengal’s new name!
I am, in fact, good with this development.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I also am fine with "B" squad here. That said, I am further also pissed when Berkhalter still doesn't use the promising young kids on the "B" squad who are Euro based so he can play Zardes et al. The Hoppe thing has me salty. It is CLEAR that Hoppe has legit skills.
testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

Were they really that much worse against Canada or was the competition better? Busio seemed to have trouble when play got physical against Martinique and that will just show up as a bigger weakness against a better team. He just needs more time to make that next leap.

I am a bit disappointed that Dike may have injured himself by overreacting to a hand to the face. He needs to roll more when he flops. He can't just javelin himself into the turf like that.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:49 am Sands was not playing on the backline. He was playing a 6, or a central holding midfielder, behind Busio. They basically played a 4132.
ahhh, the ol' busquets trick to make it like a 5-3-2 at times when it really isn't
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

testuser2 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:50 am Were they really that much worse against Canada or was the competition better? Busio seemed to have trouble when play got physical against Martinique and that will just show up as a bigger weakness against a better team. He just needs more time to make that next leap.

I am a bit disappointed that Dike may have injured himself by overreacting to a hand to the face. He needs to roll more when he flops. He can't just javelin himself into the turf like that.
Pulisic, McKinnie and Reyna, if put in the middle of that nonsense, would've been similarly silent yesterday. Just go through the lineup and ask yourself who had the technical ability to possess the ball and make dangerous runs off the ball.

We had very similar problems against Haiti... Just a ton of guys standing around, no off the ball movement, no one sliding into space... Stagnant. We barely got a result against Haiti and we were lucky to score early yesterday before CAN figured out that the key was just pressing straight up and waiting for one of the lesser skilled guys to cough up the ball.

Yes, absolutely, we were over-valued after Martinique. But a more technical side would've bossed Canada yesterday. They really only have 3 or 4 truly quality players and a backline that's incapable of building out of the back. (Full credit though, Buchanon should be in Europe tomorrow.)
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Thinking on it, only a guy like McKinnie... maybe Adams... would've been able to change things up on their own yesterday. But Busio is more in the Pulisic/Reyna mode. They can only do so much if others around them are playing with their thumbs up their bums.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Im with TestUser. Busio is listed at 141. He is skilled but not that skilled. Bigger problem as competition increases. And yes Dike flopped like a turd and jacked himself up doing it. Just stay on your feet and play. Deserved really. Miles Robinson showed up some.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

testuser2 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:50 am Were they really that much worse against Canada or was the competition better? Busio seemed to have trouble when play got physical against Martinique and that will just show up as a bigger weakness against a better team. He just needs more time to make that next leap.

I think it's just better competition. They didn't look good vs. Haiti, and I think Martinique just made them look good. Kind of like running the worst U-12 team in the league vs. a U-8 team, they are going to look good.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Too small of a sample to rely on the numbers but you can still use them to tell a little bit of the narrative. Maybe we looked better against Martinique simply because they sucked or maybe it was a combination of them sucking and us playing the younger kids. (And that doesn't factor in Zimmerman having to go out early against Canada.)

image.png
image.png (75.08 KiB) Viewed 403 times
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Concacaf going full Concacaf...rule changes mid tournament.
So old rules in the tourney allowed roster changes between pool play and knockout round. This was removed this year....well if the medical board determines the injuries to be serious enough they will let changes go if you get them approved 24 hours before your quarterfinal match.
SBI wrote:Here are the details surrounding the rule change:

Any proposed medical replacements will only be considered by the Concacaf Medical Committee in cases of serious injury or illness. Such replacements must be proposed to Concacaf for review at least 24 hours before the kick-off of the relevant team’s Quarterfinal match. Additionally, players proposed as medical replacements must come from the previously announced provisional rosters.

If Zimmerman’s injury is serious, Berhalter could call in Colorado Rapids defender Auston Trusty to fill in at centerback. If Arriola is still unable to recover from the injury he suffered in the group stage opener against Haiti then Berhalter could turn to Orlando City’s Chris Mueller, Los Angeles FC’s Corey Baird or New York Red Bulls youngster Caden Clark as potential winger options.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I don’t have an issue not calling in the Euro guys for Copa Oro. If that continues for the WCQ games that’s another story.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Fuckin’ Qatar.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

My kingdom for a Canada-Qatar final.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I don't follow soccer closely, so I'm guessing this is an ignorant question. But, why is an Arab country like Qatar playing in the CONCACAF Gold Cup tournament?
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

sancarlos wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:54 pm I don't follow soccer closely, so I'm guessing this is an ignorant question. But, why is an Arab country like Qatar playing in the CONCACAF Gold Cup tournament?
They were invited - customary invite apparently for countries that are hosting upcoming World Cups.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

good lord - this might be a first - I don't hate Berhalter's line-up. In fact, it kinda rules.

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

10PM? Grumble...
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

rass wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:27 pm10PM? Grumble...
yup. so damn late.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

7 pm seems about right!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Pretty sure "heavy first touch" is Acosta's nickname
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I’ve fallen asleep at least 3 times already during this game. Keep getting woken up by announcer screaming because of a US mistake.

All day, it felt like a chore knowing I’d have to watch this game. Acosta and Busio looking good, but fuck, I don’t know if I can stay awake to watch this. Don’t know if I want to.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Fisher is a good soccer player at this level. Before the ACL tear he was a great player for DC DC would work up one side and Fisher would push up the far side for a big cross to empty space ethat we theb turned into offensive threat.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I’m finding myself hoping Jamaica would score to end this tournament. I’ll be pissed if this goes to extra time.
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

That was a well earned goal by the US.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Hoppe! I thought he was completely gassed.