Worst major pro sports cities to live in

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Worst major pro sports cities to live in

Post by brian »

Seeing the multi-year exodus of every long-term Blue Jackets player got me to thinking what would be the absolute worst cities to play in if you were a pro athlete in the five major American pro sports leagues (i'll include MLS because I'm feeling generous and I think there's only one MLS city that doesn't have a team in another league anyway (Austin?)

So you're a pro athlete, roughly 25-35 years old-ish. Where do you most NOT want to have to live for at least half the year?

1) Columbus. Debatable to be sure, because there's some stinkers further down the list, but if you told someone they HAD to live in Ohio, which is a bad enough fate, would they choose Columbus over Cleveland or Cincinnati? I've been to all three plenty of times and Columbus has some minor charms that many might not be aware of, but living in Columbus is essentially no different than living in Grand Rapids, MI or Springfield, IL. I'm not sure I can be swayed from that opinion. Factor in that you're always going to be second-fiddle to Ohio State football AND you have to deal with living in a town with 65,000 tOSU students and this is getting to be an easier and easier call to me more that I think about it.

2) Green Bay. Would easily be #1 except for fact that living on Lake Michigan is a plus and you're a three-hour drive from Milwaukee, which at least has a semblance of culture and diversity. Just an absolutely horrible, horrible, godforsaken town if you're not a Packers fan though and that's before you factor in the fall and winter weather. I'm starting to think I should swap #1 and #2 or make them #1A and #1B. There's a pretty big drop after these two shitholes to...

3) Nashville. If you're a hard-core country music fan maybe or you really, really want to live in a state tax-free state I guess, but a few artsy, liberal neighborhoods don't make up for a city that is a crappy tourist trap with almost no natural beauty and a haven for MAGA turds. Speaking of which...

4) Orlando. I'd be willing to swap #3 and #4 like I would #1 and #2 since these two cities have a lot in common. Touristy, humid and full of right-wing grossness. The only reason to live in Florida is the ocean and even that's not enough to make up for what a shitshow of festering turds inhabit this godforsaken state. So it stands to reason you wouldn't want live in the middle of a swamp and still have to deal with those turds every day. Throw in tens of millions of idiot tourists every year and you've got a recipe for a definite garbage pile of a city.

5) Indianapolis. A lot of the same issues with Columbus, but generally a more urbane city than Ohio's capital. Seems to get included more on itineraries of touring musicians than Columbus, for example. Still has the Columbus issue of being an urban fortress of concrete in a rural(-ish) state without any of the advantages of other similar cities like Minneapolis (sits on the Mississippi River and has legitimate cultural institutions) or Detroit (sits on a less interesting river, but also has vast cultural resources and is on an international border at least) or Buffalo (another nice river and also on an international border). Could really do this all day. Cleveland, Cincinnati, Memphis, St. Louis and Pittsburgh aren't exactly heaven on earth, but the scenery isn't too bad and each has enough history to get it over the hump from appearing on this list.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
brian
The Dude

Re: Worst major pro sports cities to live in

Post by brian »

In fact, I'm going to re-order these...list of now edited.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Hellacious weather, MAGA chuds, zero culture to which to speak of. How is Phoenix not #1 on this list?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I wouldn’t move it too far, but if you’re a single or “single” athlete, Green Bay has to be 100x worse than 65,000 OSU students.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Without having been to any sake jax:

Salt lake city
Oklahoma city
Edmonton
Winnipeg
San Antonio
Jacksonville
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

HaulCitgo wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:03 pm Without having been to any sake jax:

Salt lake city
Oklahoma city
Edmonton
Winnipeg
San Antonio
Jacksonville
Sacramento has got to be on the list as well...
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Having been to both Columbus and Green Bay (in the summer), Green Bay would be my #1. While playing for the Blue Jackets allows close to universal anonymity due to tOSU football, the size of the city and having a major college make Columbus much better for quality of life stuff like diversity, entertainment, dining options, etc. Being able to be a pro athlete and run everyday errands without being harassed seems like a plus. I doubt anyone not on the outermost fringes of the Packers' roster can do that.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

With some contemplation I’d probably replace Indy with Oklahoma City.

Phoenix probably doesn’t have as many MAGA chuds as Nashville or OKC (Maricopa was basically 50/50 last election IIRC.) Weather in PHX mostly a plus IMO at least compared to GB, Buffalo etc
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Phoenix’ weather is gawdawful in the summer - hotter than a furnace fan - but pleasant in the winter. But it’s a city with a lot going on, unlike Green Bay. Winnipeg has even worse winter weather than Green Bay - every year it “wins” the poll of NHL players on which city in the league is worst to visit.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I was excluding Canadian cities but I’d still put Winnipeg above my top five.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

(I'll avoid insulting Ohio cities in deference to some esteemed members)

Green Bay
Winnipeg
Buffalo
Edmonton
Ottawa
Jacksonville
Memphis
St. Louis
Oklahoma City
Sacramento
Calgary (45 minutes from astounding beauty and tons of activities. But it's a bit dull.)

ETA: I love the city of Buffalo, and have had some of the most memorable days of my life there. But...
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:21 pm Having been to both Columbus and Green Bay (in the summer), Green Bay would be my #1. While playing for the Blue Jackets allows close to universal anonymity due to tOSU football, the size of the city and having a major college make Columbus much better for quality of life stuff like diversity, entertainment, dining options, etc. Being able to be a pro athlete and run everyday errands without being harassed seems like a plus. I doubt anyone not on the outermost fringes of the Packers' roster can do that.
I bet most NHL players can walk around virtually unnoticed, at least in American cities. Surprised their isn't more hate for Buffalo on here. A decent place to raise kids, but as an athlete, it's gotta suck. At least the Bills are treated like gods, but on the flip side, everybody recognizes them.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:24 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:21 pm Having been to both Columbus and Green Bay (in the summer), Green Bay would be my #1. While playing for the Blue Jackets allows close to universal anonymity due to tOSU football, the size of the city and having a major college make Columbus much better for quality of life stuff like diversity, entertainment, dining options, etc. Being able to be a pro athlete and run everyday errands without being harassed seems like a plus. I doubt anyone not on the outermost fringes of the Packers' roster can do that.
I bet most NHL players can walk around virtually unnoticed, at least in American cities. Surprised their isn't more hate for Buffalo on here. A decent place to raise kids, but as an athlete, it's gotta suck. At least the Bills are treated like gods, but on the flip side, everybody recognizes them.
And it's Buffalo.

Sorry Max
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Supposing you're a 25-35 year old male for this thought experiment and some of you are naming locations with a large college presence?

You know how I know this board is getting old?
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:50 pm Phoenix’ weather is gawdawful in the summer - hotter than a furnace fan - but pleasant in the winter. But it’s a city with a lot going on, unlike Green Bay. Winnipeg has even worse winter weather than Green Bay - every year it “wins” the poll of NHL players on which city in the league is worst to visit.
I understand why lizards live in sunny Arizona. Why people do and call it home I’ll never understand
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

That was for you, buddy.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:54 pm
sancarlos wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:50 pm Phoenix’ weather is gawdawful in the summer - hotter than a furnace fan - but pleasant in the winter. But it’s a city with a lot going on, unlike Green Bay. Winnipeg has even worse winter weather than Green Bay - every year it “wins” the poll of NHL players on which city in the league is worst to visit.
I understand why lizards live in sunny Arizona. Why people do and call it home I’ll never understand
I’m going to have to look into this, as Phoenix and Tucson are on my wife’s short list of where we will move when the kids are out of the house.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

My first thought beyond your "top" 5 was St. Louis (which made Pru's list). I've never been there, but it seems to be on every list of worst cities in the last 10 (or more) years. Yeah, it's on the Mississippi, but the only think I can think of there is the Arch, which has gotta be pretty boring once you get there.
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Reaper wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:06 pm My first thought beyond your "top" 5 was St. Louis (which made Pru's list). I've never been there, but it seems to be on every list of worst cities in the last 10 (or more) years. Yeah, it's on the Mississippi, but the only think I can think of there is the Arch, which has gotta be pretty boring once you get there.
I’m admittedly a little biased spending so much time in St Louis for work. It’s an interesting town. Some really cool almost 200-year-old neighborhoods. Definitely underrated from a cultural perspective. Forest Park is amazing (designed by Frederick Olmstead, who also did Central Park) Several major universities in town (WashU, Saint Louis, UM-SL, Harris-Stowe, so lots of concerts, etc.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:08 pm
A_B wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:54 pm
I’m going to have to look into this, as Phoenix and Tucson are on my wife’s short list of where we will move when the kids are out of the house.
WEll, I wouldn't read too much into San Carlos and me dropping Robert Earl Keen lyric jokes in for each other on a semi-regular basis.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Is this a trick to see who is going to say Detroit first?

San Antonio is awful and Orlando should be dissolved. Green Bay was fun to visit for a game but would probably get old pretty quickly. I'd rather live in Columbus than in Cleveland. However, weather does matter and I'd bet that people would rather live in awful hot cities like San Antonio/Orlando than some "better" northern cities like Minneapolis.

So that gives me Cleveland, Detroit and Green Bay. You can probably add two more cold Midwestern cities other than Chicago at random from Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Minneapolis, Columbus and Buffalo. I guess Indianapolis would have to be on there as a 4th and then from the remaining I guess it's probably Buffalo for weather-reasons alone, even though I do enjoy Buffalo.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

I like living here.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The sport probably matters, huh? Minneapolis as a Twin is different than Minneapolis as "a Wild".
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

mister d wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:26 am The sport probably matters, huh? Minneapolis as a Twin is different than Minneapolis as "a Wild".
Well if you're a Wild, you're in St Paul.

L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I'm a little surprised by the San Antonio hate. I spent a long weekend there, in August no less, about fifteen years ago and found it charming, estechically pleasing, and fun in the evenings. I guess I really didn't really meet the locals, but I was certainly impressed by the city.

Brian upthread mentioned Maricopa county going 50/50 last election. I think that's pretty low D turnout for a primarily urban county. Notwithstanding city that are also their own counties (Philly, SF, each of the 5 boroughs), I would assume Fulton, Wayne, and Cook county to have gone much higher than 50/50 like Maricopa.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I think in this context I kinda get San Antonio. I wouldn't put it in a generic list of shitty cities, but doesn't seem like it would be a whole lot of fun for a young athlete. There's also quite a bit of racism against African-Americans among Latinos here in Texas, and I have definitely seen it in SA.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

L-Jam3 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:33 am I'm a little surprised by the San Antonio hate. I spent a long weekend there, in August no less, about fifteen years ago and found it charming, estechically pleasing, and fun in the evenings. I guess I really didn't really meet the locals, but I was certainly impressed by the city.

Brian upthread mentioned Maricopa county going 50/50 last election. I think that's pretty low D turnout for a primarily urban county. Notwithstanding city that are also their own counties (Philly, SF, each of the 5 boroughs), I would assume Fulton, Wayne, and Cook county to have gone much higher than 50/50 like Maricopa.
I was in San Antonio about 2 years ago and have zero desire to ever go back. It was just bland and shitty.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Gunpowder wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:00 am I was in San Antonio about 2 years ago and have zero desire to ever go back. It was just bland and shitty.
Don't you think that there are only like 4 good cities in the world though?
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

No, I think there's like 10 bad cities in the world
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I'd live in Minneapolis in a heartbeat. I'm sure I'd have a big adjustment with the weather in the winter, but I really like it there.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I lived in (well, on the edge) St. Louis for 4 years for college and it's actually a pretty nice city. Obviously it has some problems, but most cities do. I gotta think St. Louis easily outrates Oklahoma City, Indianapolis and Buffalo, at least. Never been to Sacramento and only for one day in San Antonio, so can't say much about either.
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Sacramento's no prize, but the weather is decent, there's average scenery (near the Sierras and the American River) and you're two hours from San Francisco. Give me Sacramento any day over a lot of places already mentioned.

Like I said, I'd revise my top five to make it: Columbus, Green Bay, Nashville, Orlando and Oklahoma City.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:34 am I'd live in Minneapolis in a heartbeat. I'm sure I'd have a big adjustment with the weather in the winter, but I really like it there.
Currently #1 on my "US cities I haven't been to but want to" list.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

SLC?
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

mister d wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:08 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:34 am I'd live in Minneapolis in a heartbeat. I'm sure I'd have a big adjustment with the weather in the winter, but I really like it there.
Currently #1 on my "US cities I haven't been to but want to" list.
Very cool place.

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Ryan wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:29 pmSLC?
Salvaged by the mountains and decent weather.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

HEY!

:D

eh who knows, maybe? I mean...it ain't glitzy ha but that could also be an attraction? Seems the general consensus (even with my wife) that upon first glance Buffalo isn't much but with a little digging there's a lot to do here, it's a nice place to grow up, traffic is so much less an issue than larger cities, snow is overrated (unless maybe if you live in the Southtowns which why are you doing that - but there is good skiing!) esp. since it probably won't kill you like a hurricane/tornado, and if you have to escape for some proper Smarties you can cross the border in non-pandemic times. Oh and Coffee Crisps are sold here in Wegmans. Oh - Wegmans!

(but for real, there has to be some reason that a lot of ex-NHL players retire here, even if they didn't play here e.g. Darryl Sittler, Marcel Dionne are just two legends)
Pruitt wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:42 pm
The Sybian wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:24 pm
And it's Buffalo.

Sorry Max
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

brian wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:59 pm
For you maybe, but do you think top tier athletes in the mid 20s to 30s give two shits about mountains? Or even weather? They are looking for earnings (big markets), no taxes (TX, FL, TN), and then places where they can score what ever they may want/need (night life, sex, drugs, etc.). Green Bay at the top of the nope list.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

duff wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:10 pm
brian wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:59 pm
For you maybe, but do you think top tier athletes in the mid 20s to 30s give two shits about mountains? Or even weather? They are looking for earnings (big markets), no taxes (TX, FL, TN), and then places where they can score what ever they may want/need (night life, sex, drugs, etc.). Green Bay at the top of the nope list.
Agree with Duff...what we like vs. what pro athletes like are probably two different things.

That being said, I've had to be in OKC a bunch over the past five years and I enjoy it. Other than tornados and the fact that its in Oklahoma I think there are some cool neighborhoods, a decent downtown and some good restaurants/breweries...better than I was expecting.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

There was a girl from Minneapolis at Carolina. Id live in Minneapolis.