Swamp Meetup: Jersey Shore

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Swamp Meetup: Jersey Shore

Post by brian »

I don't know what the status of a potential Swamp meetup is, especially with COVID likely to be a thing for the foreseeable future, but another option other than those mentioned like Vegas, etc. which would be hilarious would be renting a beach house for a week or a long weekend like we did for Hood To Coast. Thanks to the Swamp over the years I've gone from having zero interest in visiting New Jersey to desperately wanting to spend a week on the shore.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Re: Swamp Meetup: Jersey Shore

Post by mister d »

1. It’s AT the shore
2. You can tell who is either new to NJ or aggressively refuses to be “from NJ” by their calling it the NJ beaches

Bonus: There’s an actual town named Jersey Shore, PA that’s closer to a Great Lake than the Atlantic Ocean.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:27 pm 2. You can tell who is either new to NJ or aggressively refuses to be “from NJ” by their calling it the NJ beaches
I definitely did this. I gave in long ago (and am well past the tipping point where I’ve lived here longer than anywhere else).
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

And fuck yeah brian.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Definitely drivable.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Obviously in.

Of course I’m lying. But it’s not impossible!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I could maybe do a weekend, and would love to meet up.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

"I'm going to New Jersey to stay at a beach house with a bunch of guys I met on the internet" will be an interesting thing to explain to my parents.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:35 pm "I'm going to New Jersey to stay at a beach house with a bunch of guys I met on the internet" will be an interesting thing to explain to my parents.
I’ll call them for you.

“So Johnny rally likes to do role play with us. Likes to put us in weird positions.”
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:27 pm 1. It’s AT the shore
2. You can tell who is either new to NJ or aggressively refuses to be “from NJ” by their calling it the NJ beaches
It’s “down the shore,” not at the shore. And after living in Jersey for 18 years, it still sounds weird.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:04 pm
It’s “down the shore,” not at the shore. And after living in Jersey for 18 years, it still sounds weird.
Even more specifically, I'd say it's one word, practically one syllable, "downashore"

And this could be less than 2 hours for me depending on which shore point it is, so possibly doable.
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:35 pm "I'm going to New Jersey to stay at a beach house with a bunch of guys I met on the internet" will be an interesting thing to explain to my parents.
When I say "I know him from.." my wife says "The Swamp" and then does a specific eye roll. I resent the eye roll. A swamper helped her move out of her last single lady apartment (RIP Shrew) and a Swamper was at our wedding.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Have drawn the line at saying "down the shore".
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Reaper wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:37 pm
Even more specifically, I'd say it's one word, practically one syllable, "downashore"

And this could be less than 2 hours for me depending on which shore point it is, so possibly doable.
Here in Maryland it is “downyoshun”. I’m surrounded by idiots.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rush2112 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:10 am
When I say "I know him from.." my wife says "The Swamp" and then does a specific eye roll. I resent the eye roll. A swamper helped her move out of her last single lady apartment (RIP Shrew) and a Swamper was at our wedding.
There is a nature preserve called The Great Swamp near us. We went for a walk there a few months ago and my daughter said she used to think Rass and others lived there when I referred to him and others as my friends from the Swamp. Kind of sounds like mafia-speak as I think about it.
-Pruitt
Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Post by Tom 1860 »

I get the eye roll too when referencing people I know from the swamp. The issue for me is that I'd have to explain a 6 hour plan trip to the East coast from the UK (which I have done previously), without it impacting the amount of money she would like me to spend on equine equipment for her hobby/pastime.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Tom 1860 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:58 am
I get the eye roll too when referencing people I know from the swamp. The issue for me is that I'd have to explain a 6 hour plan trip to the East coast from the UK (which I have done previously), without it impacting the amount of money she would like me to spend on equine equipment for her hobby/pastime.
Tell her "I have to go to America to see a man about a horse."
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Reaper wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:37 pm

I've also heard downdashore.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I don't think I've heard that, but I live in a pretty transient overall area? The guy across the street is the weird one for actually having grown up here.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:51 pm I don't think I've heard that, but I live in a pretty transient overall area? The guy across the street is the weird one for actually having grown up here.
Now that you mention it, I've never heard anyone in my area saying down the Shore, just heard it all the time when I worked in North Jersey. My wife grew up here, and it seems like people she grew up with say going to the Shore, not down the shore. Not sure if it's a micro-regional thing or socio-economic.
-Pruitt
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

It's downtheshore in my neck of the woods.

And I'm clearly in.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.