This Aaron Hernandez thing.

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Ryan
The Dude

Re: This Aaron Hernandez thing.

Post by Ryan »

mister d wrote:"He died doing what he loved" is a perfect joke.
It really is
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Now that he's dead... Guess it's ok to talk about him as a football player. Hell of a talent. Quicks, size and skills. Some media brought up today that belichick actually had him running plays at tailback. Remember that and he did shine. Those two TE really were unstoppable together. The killing and what not makes you forget how good he was.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The killing and whatnot make me not give a fuck how good he was.

That was a truly mind blowing comment.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

You don't give a fuck so no one should consider the quality of his play? The guy is dead. I think we can quit the holier than thou BS now. Is it somehow offensive to consider whether OJ had the greatest rushing season ever? If the guy werent as dominant on the football field, pretty much no one would care that he was a murderer.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

HaulCitgo wrote:You don't give a fuck so no one should consider the quality of his play? The guy is dead. I think we can quit the holier than thou BS now. Is it somehow offensive to consider whether OJ had the greatest rushing season ever? If the guy werent as dominant on the football field, pretty much no one would care that he was a murderer.
Maybe go to the viewing and wake to discuss the on the field exploits of the recently departed? Because in mixed company it comes off rather tone deaf.
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

EnochRoot wrote:
HaulCitgo wrote:You don't give a fuck so no one should consider the quality of his play? The guy is dead. I think we can quit the holier than thou BS now. Is it somehow offensive to consider whether OJ had the greatest rushing season ever? If the guy werent as dominant on the football field, pretty much no one would care that he was a murderer.
Maybe go to the viewing and wake to discuss the on the field exploits of the recently departed? Because in mixed company it comes off rather tone deaf.
I'm with the root for once.

And at least oj was found not guilty. And a hall of famer so the performance argument holds weight. You're showing yourself citgo.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I don't see anything wrong with it.

I also don't see how oj being found not guilty and being a hall of famer makes a difference. Chuck berry raped kids, can I listen to Johnny b Goode?
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Gunpowder wrote:I don't see anything wrong with it.

I also don't see how oj being found not guilty and being a hall of famer makes a difference. Chuck berry raped kids, can I listen to Johnny b Goode?
Context is key. You can talk about OJ's exploits on the field, or hell, even as say Detective Nordberg because Nicole Simpson was murdered 23 years ago this June. Plus, documentaries have been done on his career and on the events that June day in '94.

Talking about Aaron Hernandez's football play when he's not even in the ground yet? In the end all that does is bury the lede.
Noli Timere Messorem
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Wait...why does that matter? You guys just said he's a murderer so who cares but now he isn't being shown proper respect?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I think longevity matters. Hernandez had maybe two solid years. He wasn't some worldbeater. And he killed people. Fuck him.

No respect is proper respect from my standpoint.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I don't see the problem. In the Swamp we've routinely made jokes, often enough that "Too soon?" itself became a joke. So time isn't the factor. Now we can't discuss this murderer's merits as a football player? We discussed Ray Lewis and Ray Rice and other bad dudes. Where is the line now?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

This murderer has no athletic merits. He's Rae carruth in a bigger market. Talk about a waste of talent sure. But don't lionize an essential nobody because he committed a crime and is now dead instead of rotting in a prison for he lifetime.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Gunpowder wrote:Wait...why does that matter? You guys just said he's a murderer so who cares but now he isn't being shown proper respect?
It's not so much him as it is his victims not being shown the proper respect.

Eh. It is what it is.
Noli Timere Messorem
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

HC, please tell me you didn't go to the victims' families' houses and read them his pro-football-reference page. It sounds like you might have.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

A_B wrote:This murderer has no athletic merits. He's Rae carruth in a bigger market. Talk about a waste of talent sure. But don't lionize an essential nobody because he committed a crime and is now dead instead of rotting in a prison for he lifetime.
Well, he was probably a lot better than Rae Carruth. Ray Lewis was better, though.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Gunpowder wrote:
A_B wrote:This murderer has no athletic merits. He's Rae carruth in a bigger market. Talk about a waste of talent sure. But don't lionize an essential nobody because he committed a crime and is now dead instead of rotting in a prison for he lifetime.
Well, he was probably a lot better than Rae Carruth. Ray Lewis was better, though.
Plus, he had the balls to pull the trigger himself.
Totally Kafkaesque
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Rae Carruth should actually be getting out of prison soon, which is insane.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Hmmm ...
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Assuming you're hmmming about what I think you're hmmming about, was that a relatively known subtext to the first murder trial that I missed?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

My very NFL-loving friend who sent it along had no idea so I'm pretty sure its new.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

I assume you guys are alluding to the reports that Hernandez was bisexual and that covering up his bisexuality was a motive in the Lloyd killing. I find those reports hard to believe, at least as they relate to the murder motive. It wouldn't surprise me if Hernandez was bisexual and certainly wouldn't surprise me if he had a male lover while in prison. That's hardly uncommon. But the part about the Lloyd murder doesn't seem to fit. I lived in Boston at the time of that case and followed it pretty closely. Some of the most damning evidence was the chilling text messages Lloyd sent to his sister when he got in the car with Hernandez on the night he was killed. Clearly, Lloyd was worried that Hernandez was going to kill him. Maybe I'm wrong here, but that seems a lot more plausible if the motive was that Lloyd witnessed/knew about the prior double murder than if he knew that Hernandez was bisexual.

Also, I believe that the reports about the bisexuality motive all come originally from Michele McPhee. McPhee done some good reporting and certainly has sources in Boston. But she also has used unnamed law enforcement sources as the basis for some fairly sensational claims. As an example, she just came out with a book about the marathon bombing that makes some really damning allegations against the FBI -- namely that Tamerlan Tsarnaev was an informant who the FBI protected well after it should've known he was a danger. Maybe that's true -- or at least true-ish -- but it's certainly not the official story from law enforcement. And the same could be said for the Hernandez bisexuality rumors. I would believe that *some* in Boston law enforcement suspect or suspected that it was a motive for the Lloyd killing (i.e., I'm not saying McPhee is just making shit up) but I doubt that it's the prevailing view among investigators.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

And here I thought that "Hmmm..." was about Rae Carruth in some way. First I'm hearing about this bisexual thing.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

"No, actually his nickname "Blowjob Giving Aaron" referred to ..."
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Guess it wasn't the gayness after all.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I feel like this might be a good thread to read back through.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Who the heck is kranepool?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

sancarlos wrote:Dion Lewis of the Browns, and the folks from Bristol are pissed that Carlos Ortiz apparently informed on Aaron Hernandez.

This is good.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

mister d wrote:
brian wrote:Some weird reports out there about Hernandez smashing his cell phones instead of turning them over to the police.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA I never made this connection HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

This is also good.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

But for real, this CTE + violence + NFL liability??? thing is going to get super interesting the next time a player decides to kill someone.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

mister d wrote:But for real, this CTE + violence + NFL liability??? thing is going to get super interesting the next time a player decides to kill someone.

Who knows what will happen in this lawsuit, but to me it seems like the football --> CTE evidence is a lot stronger than the CTE
--> violence/instability evidence. The thing that really hasn't been studied (at least not to my knowledge) is whether ex-players who are comparatively healthy, sharp and stable also have high rates of CTE.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote:I feel like this might be a good thread to read back through.

Also, RIP Shrew.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Joe K wrote:Who knows what will happen in this lawsuit, but to me it seems like the football --> CTE evidence is a lot stronger than the CTE
--> violence/instability evidence.

Oh, absolutely, but I bet that link is coming one way or another.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote:
mister d wrote:I feel like this might be a good thread to read back through.

Also, RIP Shrew.

Yep. Miss that guy. Bensell, too. Unknown, too.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Gunpowder wrote:Rae Carruth should actually be getting out of prison soon, which is insane.

The Jets are extremely thin at WR...
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:06 pm
Gunpowder wrote:Rae Carruth should actually be getting out of prison soon, which is insane.

The Jets are extremely thin at WR...
He gets out on Thursday.....Wow I feel old
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Netflix doc kept my interest.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Wonder what rae carruth is up to? Whole lot more than cherica and the kid. That's for sure.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

mister d wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:57 am Netflix doc kept my interest.
I watched it right after watching Don't Fuck with Cats. Which murderer had the better mother?
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

EdRomero wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:37 am
mister d wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:57 am Netflix doc kept my interest.
I watched it right after watching Don't Fuck with Cats. Which murderer had the better mother?
So far I could only watch the first hour of DFwC. His animal torture and killing was nauseating enough that I didn’t think I could handle the murder of the Chinese student.