The OFFICIAL business travel whining thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Keg
The Big Lebowski

Re: The OFFICIAL business travel whining thread

Post by Keg »

I worked the late shift last night, clocked out at midnight and started my two hour trek from Wallops Island to Norfolk. Checked in to the Hampton Inn a bit past 2am, went straight to the bathroom to freshen up, and crawled into bed for a few hours of sleep before my flight in the morning. I never turned on the lights to the room. Woke up this morning and found a dirty pair of socks that did not belong to me in between the sheets. I am so fucking grossed out.
My only fear of death is coming back to this b1tch reincarnated
Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

Something similar had happened to me a few years ago at a Marriott in San Diego. Checked into the room and got ready for bed, luckily I had the lights on and saw a ton of curly black hairs on the bed before I crawled in. So disgusting. I called the front desk and got a new room. I let my guard down this time. Never again. 50 point inspections from this point forward.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ewww ... working really hard to convince yourself you didn't find underpants because he kept them on versus because he didn't wear any?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

Hopefully they werent tucked in between the pillow sheets...I fell asleep so comfy hugging the extra pillow. (I refused to touch anything after I saw the socks.)
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

I once checked in only to found a joint on the night stand. Smoking.

I thought that was considerate seeing that I didn't have that many rewards card points. But the nice man at the front desk told me that somehow they had given out two keys; mine was the second. The next morning I ran into the first party at the desk while I was checking out. A guy with two young women. I presume they had an enjoyable stay. I guess mine was duller than it could have been if I had stayed in my original room.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

If you find yourself traveling from or through Las Vegas, San Jose, Cincinnati, Atlanta or Phoenix this is a hell of a deal -- assuming you like to have a couple of drinks while you wait. A single beer at LAS is like $11 so this pays for itself almost immediately and that's before you figure you don't have to sit in the terminal with the riffraff.

(I bought two for upcoming trips to Reno and Syracuse.)
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I'm not really whining, other than noting that I'm about ready to be back home. I'm in the middle of a three-city Europe trip for work.

I went to Frankfurt for about three days. Nice city, but really not much to see there. I guess we knocked all of the cool shit down in WWII.

I'm now in Budapest, an infinitely more attractive and interesting city. I had no idea this city was so beautiful. If an alien came down and judged countries by the size and beauty of their government buildings, they'd assume Hungary was the richest country in the world. The parliament building here is incredible - more impressive even than England's.

On Wednesday, I fly to Copenhagen. I'm looking forward to that city as well, although I may not have as much time to get around and sightsee.
Totally Kafkaesque
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Budapest was cool but was it thaaaaat nice? The aliens would appreciate that beers are only like $1.16.

Copenhagen was a big let-down for us.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I love Budapest, but I think it depends on what you like to do when you travel. The food isn't great and the nightlife is meh, but there are some amazing museums and history so that's what I enjoyed. I don't remember the name of it, but there's a Cold War museum there and it was incredible. I was in awe of the shit that Hungarians had to go through during Soviet occupation.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I haven't had time to do museums and whatnot. I basically just walked around yesterday. Did a Danube cruise as well. So far, the food's been really good.

It may be that I'm overreacting to the architecture after being in the bland Frankfurt. But take a look at their parliament building. Compare it to our capital.

And there are many other buildings nearly as impressive along the river. This is the palace across the river from parliament:
Totally Kafkaesque
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

You can have one of those without permanent scaffolding?
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Did you take those pictures?

They are amazing, and the first one is spectacular.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
vandwagon
Maude Lebowski

Post by vandwagon »

Very cool pictures.

I'll be sure to share my pictures of Saginaw, MI. Headed there tomorrow. Flying into Flint hopefully, but Southwest already warned of delays or cancellations.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Sag-nasty! Enjoy that.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

vandwagon wrote:Very cool pictures.

I'll be sure to share my pictures of Saginaw, MI. Headed there tomorrow. Flying into Flint hopefully, but Southwest already warned of delays or cancellations.
I will wave at you as I head towards Wisconsin. Green Bay in March. My favorite!
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Pruitt wrote:Did you take those pictures?

They are amazing, and the first one is spectacular.
No, those are from Google. I got a pretty good shot of the parliament building at night, but not as nice as that one above.
Totally Kafkaesque
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

BSF21 wrote:

I will wave at you as I head towards Wisconsin. Green Bay in March. My favorite!
Please enjoy Green Bay's finest restaurant, the Tilted Kilt.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

DSafetyGuy wrote:
BSF21 wrote:

Please enjoy Green Bay's finest restaurant, the Tilted Kilt.
We've got one of those here.

And a Hooters.

And a Twin Peaks.

I'm not big on the breastaraunt

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Of those Twin Peaks is by far the best IMO.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote:Of those Twin Peaks is by far the best IMO.
And both Sarah Hyland and Serena Williams work in the Albuquerque location.

An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Jesus, who did you piss off.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

When you land in Flint, make sure and drink lots and lots of water. It is good for travelling.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

duff wrote:

When you land in Flint, make sure and drink lots and lots of water. It is good for travelling.

An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
vandwagon
Maude Lebowski

Post by vandwagon »

No pictures, but they wouldn't be interesting given all you could see was snow. The only interesting thing that happened was me inadvertently driving my Toyota Yaris into a snowbank in the Hobby Lobby parking lot on the way back to my hotel from picking up dinner. Didn't see the deeper snow until it was too late and I was burning rubber from my tires spinning. Some kind Marines from a recruiting station and a random passer-by shoveled me out thankfully. I was stuck for about an hour and three groups of folks offered help so I have nothing but good things to say about the people of Saginaw.

Managed to avoid the water in Flint, but now that I think of it, I drank a soda at the airport, hope they get their water from somewhere clean.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Tomorrow (March 14) is the 74th day of 2016.

Tomorrow (March 14) is the 32nd day I've been on the road for work.

Fortunately this is the last scheduled work trip I have for now. But I'm about 99 percent certain I'll need to make two four- or five-day trips in April, a five-day trip in May and a five-day trip in June.

This shit is getting old.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Sabo wrote:Tomorrow (March 14) is the 74th day of 2016.

Fortunately this is the last scheduled work trip I have for now. But I'm about 99 percent certain I'll need to make two four- or five-day trips in April, a five-day trip in May and a five-day trip in June.

You know you and I used to do the same shit. I don't know how you do it. When I do my trips to STL I get cranky as fuck. I used to love it back in the day though.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

brian wrote:
Sabo wrote:Tomorrow (March 14) is the 74th day of 2016.

You know you and I used to do the same shit. I don't know how you do it. When I do my trips to STL I get cranky as fuck. I used to love it back in the day though.
I used to love it too, but I've been doing this for almost 17 years and any thrill I had from business travel is long gone.

There's been a couple of times in my career where I've been heading to the airport and the only thought in my mind is "I really don't want to go on this trip." I had that thought in my mind when I was on the shuttle from the parking lot to the airport last week, and it fucking sucks.

Unfortunately, the job I have requires this kind of travel. I've looked for other jobs in the Cleveland area, but none of them pay what I currently earn. So, in order for me to get off the road, I have to take a pretty massive pay cut. Since my wife is a freelance graphic designer, I really don't have the luxury of taking a pay cut in order to get off the road.

Also, here's a part of business travel you really can't prepare for. As I was writing this out, I had an alert on my phone that there's a tornado warning for the area (I'm currently in Memphis, TN). After my phone went off, I started to hear the sirens outside my hotel room.

I just hope to Christ my flight isn't delayed or canceled tomorrow.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Anyone who flies a lot already knows this, but the TSA's PreCheck has done jack shit for shortening regular security lines.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

There are days when I think the best job in the world is a 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. shift at a factory. You go in, do mindless work for 8 hours, then go home and forget about work until the next morning.

Today is one of those days.

I'm thankful I get to go home tomorrow. At least my next work trip is one I can drive to instead of having to fly.
Moreta
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Moreta »

My job is neither glamorous nor lucrative but I get all my off time to myself. There are never projects looming over me. I get a 3 day weekend every other week. Add the pension on top of that and it's really a damn good gig.

I'd trade it in for something that would send me to Europe on the regular though.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Moreta wrote:My job is neither glamorous nor lucrative but I get all my off time to myself. There are never projects looming over me. I get a 3 day weekend every other week. Add the pension on top of that and it's really a damn good gig.

I'd trade it in for something that would send me to Europe on the regular though.
The Jacksonvill Jaguars probably have an opening somewhere.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Rain...rain...rain. Rain in Cincinnati; rain in Indianapolis and rain in Terre Haute. I'll take the snow in April in Colorado over this.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

It wasn't all work, more like half work, but I slept in 6 states over 16 days recently. That's way too much movin' around.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

GoodKarma wrote:Rain...rain...rain. Rain in Cincinnati; rain in Indianapolis and rain in Terre Haute. I'll take the snow in April in Colorado over this.
Man, who did you piss off to have to travel to Terre Haute? I'd take JUNE snow over having to go back there.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Yeah...it isn't pleasant...and this my second time here in the past five months. Should be my last, though.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

GoodKarma wrote:Yeah...it isn't pleasant...and this my second time here in the past five months. Should be my last, though.
Called Terrable Haute for a reason.

I'm also stuck in the room next to the elevator tonight. Fuck.

elflaco
Brandt

Post by elflaco »

Wilmington DE last week. meh.
NY/NJ this week (and the missus away on her biz trip in Baltimore), so just the boy and me. ok.
Houston next week. tbd
NY the week after
then St. Cloud MN.. then Dallas.

bit different from the London, Brussels, Luxembourg, Lisbon, Aliso Viejo rotation from last year.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Did you stay at the Marriott on N. West St. or ... ... ... I don't know?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote:Did you stay at the Marriott on N. West St. or ... ... ... I don't know?
Financial District?
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Wilmington doesn't have a financial district.