Real or The Onion?

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

sancarlos
The Dude

Re: Real or The Onion?

Post by sancarlos »

I suppose I could have put this in the Proud Parent thread. In addition to her studies in an unrelated field (math/computer science) and working as a research assistant on a professor’s project, my girl has become a bit of a humor writer. UW has a satirical, Onion-like magazine called “The Fishwrapper “ (online-only for now). Here’s a piece she wrote for them last week.
Senate Republicans Considering “Weekend at Bernie’s” Routine Following Trump
Diagnosis

In the wake of Donald Trump’s COVID-19 diagnosis and subsequent stay in Walter Reed
hospital, Republican officials have been scrambling for a solution in the case that his symptoms worsen again. This week, senators finally revealed Operation: Puppet President, a plan in which Trump will be assisted at important meetings and press conferences by aides supporting either side of his body.

Those in favor of the plan claim it will bolster the presidential reputation by putting forth the image that Trump is consistently well and “up and at ‘em” in the White House.

“It is imperative that Donald Trump has access to only the finest of medical cover-ups,” Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell posited. “How are we supposed to dupe disenfranchised Americans into voting for us without our president out, about and tweeting conspiracy theories?”

Some in government have playfully dubbed the proposition “Operation: Weekend at Bernie’s” in reference to the 1989 film, which features two men carrying around a dead body and pretending it is still alive. However, this nickname is not without its own controversy, as some officials fear it will lead to conflation with Democratic senator Bernie Sanders.

“We don’t want to further the radical left agenda in any capacity, even in name,” Republican Senator Lindsey Graham stated during a recent press conference. “I, for one, fear this could be seen as another plot by Crazy Bernie.”

Following the announcement of the plan, White House officials have stated that guidelines for those elected to carry the presidential meat sack will require them to go maskless, as a symbolic gesture of Trump’s return to full health. On an unrelated note, the same officials also recently confirmed that healthcare coverage for Trump’s attendants will be drastically reduced in a new budget cut.

“We strictly refuse to infringe upon our staff’s personal freedom to reject face coverings… Did Jesus ever wear a mask?” Kellyanne Conway argued in defense of the policy.

When asked for comment, President Trump responded with slow gasps and proceeded to sit down.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

It's like he is reading the Onion for advice.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

this seems like the best thread for this story?

I'm currently trying to figure out who I have in common with her because there's no way we didn't cross paths in HS and college.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I posted it in the punchable faces thread, and I did think of you when the article went over her schooling. Though at this point I can't remember when you would have been in j-school.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

ahhh it was a tweet so that makes sense why it didn't come up in my search (and I glossed over it on the first page)

yeah we are either the same age or a year apart based on that timeline; though I wasn't expecting that after seeing her picture (I was expecting like 42)
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I was sure that was an Onion headline.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

“Rock Looked Way Cooler Wet”
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Hard to believe this true...

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Belated sorry to my wife...
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:31 pm

Belated sorry to my wife...
Let me guess: Euchre and pinochle?
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Nah, I consider those both normal card games. Ours was something called “Oh Hell”.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Didn't think Stiller came off too bad in his tweets. Spielberg's kid on the other hand...
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Shirley wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:10 pm
Didn't think Stiller came off too bad in his tweets. Spielberg's kid on the other hand...
Think the relevant amount of privilege each had/has coming up is a factor. Yes, Stiller had some privilege and help coming up but it wasn’t like Jerry Stiller and Anne Meara were household names or heavyweight power players in the late 80s/early 90s. The child of Steven Spielberg on the other hand…
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:24 pm
Think the relevant amount of privilege each had/has coming up is a factor. Yes, Stiller had some privilege and help coming up but it wasn’t like Jerry Stiller and Anne Meara were household names or heavyweight power players in the late 80s/early 90s. The child of Steven Spielberg on the other hand…
Exactly. I think Ben made his own way. He struggled early and found his footing. OTOH, he was on sets as a kid all the time and learned the industry from the inside. To his credit, from what he says anyways, he was keenly observing everything and learning how shit works. So yeah, he got an education almost nobody gets and I'm sure he had a lot of connections through his parents, but he had to prove himself and succeed. If he didn't have any talent or work ethic, he would have flopped and disappeared in his 20s. I'd also say he has more success than his parents, but their heyday was well before my time.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Speaking of nepotism...

(I can't stop fucking laughing at this.)
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:10 pm
Exactly. I think Ben made his own way. He struggled early and found his footing. OTOH, he was on sets as a kid all the time and learned the industry from the inside. To his credit, from what he says anyways, he was keenly observing everything and learning how shit works. So yeah, he got an education almost nobody gets and I'm sure he had a lot of connections through his parents, but he had to prove himself and succeed. If he didn't have any talent or work ethic, he would have flopped and disappeared in his 20s. I'd also say he has more success than his parents, but their heyday was well before my time.
In my practical experience, the bolded part is untrue. So much failing upward in the entertainment industry. And so many doors weren't even opened for him, they were already open. This is not specific to him.

He is actually one of the rare exceptions to the rule in that he actually had some degree of talent and willingness to work hard. Of course, I would imagine he got his first agent at a much younger age than most and said agent was also at a much more prestigious firm than most people just breaking in, thereby allowing him to be in positions to succeed. Or have there been lots of people writing and directing a television show named after themselves at age 25 that I'm just not remembering?
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:36 pm
In my practical experience, the bolded part is untrue. So much failing upward in the entertainment industry. And so many doors weren't even opened for him, they were already open. This is not specific to him.

He is actually one of the rare exceptions to the rule in that he actually had some degree of talent and willingness to work hard. Of course, I would imagine he got his first agent at a much younger age than most and said agent was also at a much more prestigious firm than most people just breaking in, thereby allowing him to be in positions to succeed. Or have there been lots of people writing and directing a television show named after themselves at age 25 that I'm just not remembering?
Well said, DSafe.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Idontthinkhesfunnyatalleveryrolehesplayedwouldbeimprovedbysomeonefunnierorjustowenwilson.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:36 pm

I don’t think Stiller was arguing the point that he had significant advantages over a Black person, especially one without connections in the industry. I think it’s fair to give Stiller a pass at not being a product of nepotism though Some of the most talented actors and directors in history had connections in the entertainment industry. At some point you judge people on their record not how they got in the door.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Obviously I want giving out jobs in Hollywood but I had no idea who jerry stiller was until I already knew who Ben stiller was. Again, I wasn’t signing checks and those people obviously knew.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:00 pm Obviously I want giving out jobs in Hollywood but I had no idea who jerry stiller was until I already knew who Ben stiller was. Again, I wasn’t signing checks and those people obviously knew.
Jerry Stiller and Ann Meara were never huge names, but they were certainly of some degree of celebrity, and no doubt knew all the right people. (Until Seinfeld, Ann Meara was a bigger name than Jerry Stiller. She did lots of solo guest star appearances on television, in addition to the husband-and-wife act. She was nominated for a few Emmys and played the lead in her own drama series back in the day.)
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:35 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:36 pmIn my practical experience, the bolded part is untrue. So much failing upward in the entertainment industry. And so many doors weren't even opened for him, they were already open. This is not specific to him.

I don’t think Stiller was arguing the point that he had significant advantages over a Black person, especially one without connections in the industry. I think it’s fair to give Stiller a pass at not being a product of nepotism though Some of the most talented actors and directors in history had connections in the entertainment industry. At some point you judge people on their record not how they got in the door.
The problem with your last sentence is "how they got in the door" is a direct line to how many chances they got to build a record.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

The new "Jeopardy!" host is merely a variation of the more general nepotism theme. Nothing I've seen about all the guest hosts suggests he's actually good aside from his familiarity with the show and its working format.

And yet, he's negotiating to multiply his income exponentially.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:13 am
DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:36 pmIn my practical experience, the bolded part is untrue. So much failing upward in the entertainment industry. And so many doors weren't even opened for him, they were already open. This is not specific to him.

The problem with your last sentence is "how they got in the door" is a direct line to how many chances they got to build a record.
For sure. But nepotism will never not be a thing. There’s a scale though. You’ve got the rich kid who literally doesn’t know anyone in the industry but can afford to take unpaid internships to get experience/make contacts which is itself a form of nepotism. Somewhere in the middle is someone like Sofia Coppola or Ben Stiller and then at the far other extreme you’ve got someone like Tori Spelling. All I ask of the Ben Stillers on that spectrum is to carve out as many opportunities for underrepresented communities as possible. There’s certainly lots of creatives who do this (Mike Schur comes to mind).
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:22 am The new "Jeopardy!" host is merely a variation of the more general nepotism theme. Nothing I've seen about all the guest hosts suggests he's actually good aside from his familiarity with the show and its working format.

And yet, he's negotiating to multiply his income exponentially.
And he's the Executive Producer of "Jeopardy!" and "Wheel of Fortune."
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:38 am
DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:13 am

For sure. But nepotism will never not be a thing. There’s a scale though. You’ve got the rich kid who literally doesn’t know anyone in the industry but can afford to take unpaid internships to get experience/make contacts which is itself a form of nepotism. Somewhere in the middle is someone like Sofia Coppola or Ben Stiller and then at the far other extreme you’ve got someone like Tori Spelling. All I ask of the Ben Stillers on that spectrum is to carve out as many opportunities for underrepresented communities as possible. There’s certainly lots of creatives who do this (Mike Schur comes to mind).
To satisfy my own curiosity, I went to Red Hour Films' website. Their landing page has links to what they've produced for film, TV, and digital.

Non-white faces on those pages: Robert Downey Jr ("Tropic Thunder"), Chris Rock ("2012 Nantucket Comedy Roundtable")
Non-white names on those pages: Kumail

He probably should have kept his fingers silent on Twitter.