Post by Shirley »

BJ and the Pope
Totally Kafkaesque
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Re: Temporary Pope Resigned, Now A New Temporary Pope Thread

Post by cerrano »

cannonball pope.

(the sequence of mr. d's and tennbengal's posts at the end of the previous page was just pure solid gold.)
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Dierdorf and the Pope.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

The Pope of Greenwich Village.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I prefer The Dierdorf of Greenwich Village

("The Bedbug took my thumb!")
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I know that he's technically a head of state and all but it does it leave a bad taste in anyone's mouth that we have to foot the bill for this guy's field trip? Some states are even declaring a fucking SOE!
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Do you expect the Catholic Church of America to pay for it? We got rid of indulgences centuries ago.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Jerloma wrote:I know that he's technically a head of state and all but it does it leave a bad taste in anyone's mouth that we have to foot the bill for this guy's field trip?
No more than the bill for all the other heads of state making their annual field trip to nyc for the unga. And I would be fine with the bill if we didn't get the traffic congestion and closed streets. Pay for it to be in Philly.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

I just appreciate that he scheduled his visit to my work neighborhood on Yom Kippur. DC is going to be a zoo tomorrow. We are sending out staff to our office in the MD burbs/work from home. Hope Thursday is better with the Pope up near Congress. I still think travel will be crazy. Metro is falling apart and all the extra folks coming to get a glimpse of the Pope are going to make it even worse.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Looks like the Pope arrived in style in his new Pope Plane:

THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Sure, Jesus is a big scorer in Draft King of Kings, but he's just priced too high. If you want to win, you're going to need some value picks. I recommend taking a look at Artemis and possibly Anhur as sleepers who can really score big for you at a reasonable price.
Totally Kafkaesque
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

When I first saw that photo, It looked like a bald eagle was looking up about to peck the Pontiff in the "Papal Ferula".
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

"When we return, what IS that bear doing in the woods?"
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Papal visit pre-empted Jeopardy.

Now I'm with J-Lo.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Highlights Of Pope Francis’ Speech To Congress

Pope Francis began the third day of his U.S. trip by delivering an address to the joint houses of Congress, advising them on a few key issues such as climate change, immigration, and division of wealth. Here are the highlights of the pontiff’s speech:

•Reluctantly told Congress that God loves them
•Offered to send two battalions of angels to aid in the fight against ISIS
•Overcame stage fright of delivering potentially controversial remarks by imagining every congressman in audience crucified
•Unexpected detour into systemic issues in nation’s fish and wildlife management
•After each standing ovation held hand to ear and yelled, “I can’t hear you, D.C.!” to even louder applause
•Not even one goddamn soundbite to use in Planned Parenthood debate
•Some stuff about Moses that was kind of hard to follow
•In moment of candor, admitted how difficult it is to feel sympathy for those who are homeless
•Cautioned about growing pothole on Constitution Avenue
•Bunch of shit about hope and healing
•Five minutes spent ripping apart Sen. Orrin Hatch’s voting record
•Concluded remarks to sound of members on both sides of aisle openly weeping, hugging each other, and apologizing for wrongdoings Image

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

howard
Karl Hungus

Popin'. Ain't. Easy.

Post by howard »

I think this thread needs to be renamed. 'cause it ain't easy.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I can't with this fucking guy. Everyone's lost their god damned minds. I have little hope for humanity.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Fuck. I need an "s" at the end of that for the ... game to work.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Jerloma wrote:I can't…fuck…Everyone. I have…hope for hum…
(i'm not good at this.)

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I love this so hard and you should too. A little background…The Pope addressed the UN on Friday and Shakira came on right after him. Now, Shakira isn’t just a pretty face and a voice, she’s the Colombian ambassador for UNICEF. She’s very passionate about children’s rights and she’s one of the people who use their fame and money to try to leave the world a better place. She’s just a remarkable human by any standard you choose to measure. She's also a genius.

So the Pope has really pissed off a lot of the victims of his church’s pederasty ring and their advocates on this tour. Every time, he talks about it, he frames it as how hard it’s been on the church and how courageous all of these implicated bishops have been in dealing with this PR scandal. He keeps congratulating these Bishops and pretending like it's over even though he hasn't done a thing. It’s maddening. A report just came out last week that pedophile priests from here are being relocated to South America, and specifically, Colombia.

Then there’s also the issue of the RCC’s policies on giving women control over their reproductive systems largely contributing to the overpopulation and poverty problems in the world.

Now she already admits to having lost her religion but still, most people in that situation singing in front of the Pope would have sang something that paid some sort of deference to him or his church. Of course, doing that would just put a bigger halo around the church and be a slap in the face for those that she advocates for. So not only did she not do that; she did this…

Drop the motherfucking mic.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Makes sense that she'd think the Pope spoke with her - because doesn't Jesus do it all the time?

People really should do a better job of vetting their heroes.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Although, Staver also said that 100,000 people in Peru held a rally for her. It is absolutely mind-numbing that he didn't have the foresight to see that people would be able to verify that.

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Pales in comparison to the time half a million people gathered in Central Park for the "Ben Roethlisberger is a Piece of Shit and Everyone Who Roots for Him is Also Garbage" rally.

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Yeah, see...nothing.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

That's a Counting Crows concert and you know it
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Jerloma wrote:Although, Staver also said that 100,000 people in Peru held a rally for her. It is absolutely mind-numbing that he didn't have the foresight to see that people would be able to verify that.

Wow - doesn't telling bald-faced lies go against some sort of Christian teaching?

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/k ... rayer-hoax
The law firm initially copped to one mistake. While the caption shown at the Values Voter Summit said the photo was taken in Lima, Liberty Counsel said in its Monday press release the photo actually was taken at a soccer stadium in Northern Peru.
Even though there's evidence that this particular rally took place last year...
“We have no reason to puff the Kim Davis story," Staver said in the press release. "Her name has become known around the world. The people in Peru were very much aware of Kim Davis because her story was broadcast on a variety of media. However, the photograph was an honest mistake."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I'm more than willing to accept that her lawyers are gullible idiots that just took the word of some Peruvian official and ran with it.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote:I'm more than willing to accept that her lawyers are gullible idiots that just took the word of some Peruvian official and ran with it.
I've been going back and forth on that one. You'd think attorneys would be smart enough to spend 10 minutes verifying the picture and story, OTOH, they completely misrepresent the Constitution, the law and just about everything they publicly stated. The Right's MO is to misrepresent facts or bombard the media with completely falsified stories and move on to the next thing before the story is proved false. By the time the truth comes out, their minions don't hear it or don't care, because they are terrified that Obama is importing Ebola to wipe out the entire US population. It's possible Liberty Counsel planned on having a couple more days before the Peru story was proven fake. I'm leaning towards Liberty Counsel being handed a picture and being told it showed support for their cause, and they were so excited they ran with it without giving it any thought. You have to be pretty deluded to see the picture and believe it was Peruvians gathering to support a County Clerk in Kentucky.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

But we've seen enough examples of lawyers in high-profile cases acting more like PR shills than officers of the court.

Why give them the benefit of the doubt when the entire premise of the photo - that Kim Davis is such huge news in Peru that 100,000 people would come to a stadium to pray for her - is ridiculous? 15 seconds of research would disprove it.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Pope Francis also told Kim Davis, “Stay strong. He held out his hands and asked Kim to pray for him. Kim held his hands and said, “I will. Please pray for me,” and the Pope said he would. The two embraced.
Worst Harlequin novel ever.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

What if the pope did meet w/ Kim Davis but called her the c-word?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Doesn't really pass the sniff test. The pope is busy enough, it's hard to imagine he could care enough about gay marriage to meet with someone who practices a brand of Christianity that most Catholics consider akin to voodoo.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

brian wrote:Doesn't really pass the sniff test. The pope is busy enough, it's hard to imagine he could care enough about gay marriage to meet with someone who practices a brand of Christianity that most Catholics consider akin to voodoo.
Wait, the people who think the cracker turns into the carpenter think that the people who don't think that the cracker turns into the carpenter are practicing voodoo?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote:Doesn't really pass the sniff test. The pope is busy enough, it's hard to imagine he could care enough about gay marriage to meet with someone who practices a brand of Christianity that most Catholics consider akin to voodoo.
Ewww... something about "sniff" in relation to Kim Davis makes me feel sick.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

mister d wrote:What if the pope did meet w/ Kim Davis but called her the c-word?
That was my thought too. Then I imagined her telling the press that it was a wonderful meeting filled with blessings, followed by the ol' Papal Hidden Camera Footage Rebuttal
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I guess I'm just having a hard time understanding why anyone would be surprised that the Pope would support her. Surely they're aware that they share the same views on marriage equality. Is it because they thought the Pope would support church/state separation? On what grounds? He runs the most theocratic state in the world.