Temporary Pope Resigned, Now A New Temporary Pope Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Keg
The Big Lebowski

Re: Temporary Pope Resigned, Now A New Temporary Pope Thread

Post by Keg »

J-Lo, do you have any documentation about the church being against protecting the environment?

FWIW, my church mentions protecting the environment during the Prayer of the Faithful every week. We also have recycling, energy saving and clean-up programs. This is a new criticism of the church I had not heard of before...
My only fear of death is coming back to this b1tch reincarnated
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Temporary J-Lo wrote:All I'm saying is that if you don't literally believe that the dude that blinked the universe into existence sent a human manifestation of himself to this speck of dust in order to have himself sacrificed to himself to appease himself so that he could forgive humans for the sinful way in which he created them, and his physical body would literally rise up to heaven, where he sits by his dad who is also him to judge humanity...if you don't believe that...in no meaningful way are you a Christian. You're just a person calling yourself a Christian in order to reap the social advantages that come with being a Christian in this country.
That is certainly one way to look at Christianity. Though I do not think your description of "Who is a Christian" is much better than Scottie's description of Who is an Environmentalist. Nor do I think you are any more qualified to decide who gets to be called "Christian" any more than Scottie is to decide who are the real environmentalists.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I can without doubt declare with absolute certainty that you are all queers.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
howard test2
Jackie Treehorn

Post by howard test2 »

Grasspenis wrote:Nah, Jerlomes and Le Scot.
yeah, i wasn't sure who you meant.

the motivation is essential to understand reality of human behavior. the motivation behind the environmental movement, and the save the earth 2.0 climate change movement is, to a huge extent, cash profit.

j-lo at one point, posits 'how can you be against slowing down AGW''? because saving the earth is not the motive. making a fuckton of money is the motive. otherwise, goldman would not be involved. i guarantee goldman and lots of other folks pushing this agenda cynically don't care about AGW.

i consider this relevant to the heart of their discussion, hence i include it.

now, leave me alone. i'm watching that penn and teller episode, i haven't seen it in years. it is great, those guys are great.
"…and, you ground into a World Series ending double play"
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Pretty much everything involved with global warming is cash based. The carbon credit idea, though, was manufactured, so that makes it worse. I guess.

I don't know, I really don't give the slightest fuck about the environment.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
bryan
Jackie Treehorn

Post by bryan »

That was pretty interesting. I took two things away from that. One, I'm going to stop recycling paper and two, I'm going to keep all my aluminum cans myself and sell that shiz because I'm tired of people rolling through my subdivision taking that shit from my curb.
howard test2
Jackie Treehorn

Post by howard test2 »

i don't have the freedom to make that choice. the city of new york will fine me personally (even though i live in an apartment building). the escalating fine schedule is large enough that i am coerced into compliance.

obamacare, on the other hand, the fines are lower than the price of the insurance. i'm sure they will catch on, but slowly.
testy boxcar
Maude Lebowski

Post by testy boxcar »

GREEN WEEK on NBC was the final straw in me believing in saving the environment. i still recycle cause i'm not gonna listen to a fucking magician about ANYTHING.

Magic is stupid.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Temporary J-Lo wrote:Even despite the number, it's not even necessarily accurate. Corporate greed and money are the main reason for GW denial. They just use the anti-scientific stance of the religious right as pawns.
Still laughing at this confused muddle.

Because the pro-AGW movement is not corporate-driven, right 'loma? It is humanity, well-informed and compassionate, eyes wide open and sophisticatedly benevolent, rising up out of the goodness of our hearts to rescue a dying planet. Right? You believe that?

You are a seagull. You came into a conversation, squawk squawk squawk, shit all over it and then flew off in your own direction.

My point is a very simple one. Environmentalism is a religion. You can squawk about AGW all you want with the surface-scratching knowledge you gained from mocking Free Republic geniuses, it simply isn't relevant to my point. You've missed it, it's lost on you, I'm done with you.

Next time you start a thread about how much you hate obsessive and intolerant blind-faith driven organizations, I'll come in and hijack your thread, taking it off in an insanely different direction than whatever point you were making. Would only be fair, right? What goes around. Nah, I won't do that for the simple reason that it is uncivilized, pathetic and just plain stupid.
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
Johnny Hotcakes
Brandt

Post by Johnny Hotcakes »

Le Scottie wrote:
You are a seagull. You came into a conversation, squawk squawk squawk, shit all over it and then flew off in your own direction.
This is a fantastic line. I am definitely stealing it for personal use on family, friends, and co-workers.
Popin' ain't easy
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

pony_keg wrote:J-Lo, do you have any documentation about the church being against protecting the environment?

FWIW, my church mentions protecting the environment during the Prayer of the Faithful every week. We also have recycling, energy saving and clean-up programs. This is a new criticism of the church I had not heard of before...
I mean, there is no "the church" as far as I'm concerned. I don't expect churches or even people within the same church to have a united stance on anything. We're all people with different experiences that lead to different worldviews. I'm speaking specifically of the rather loud minority of people that we commonly call the religious right. The cult of Falwell and Robertson if you will. The people trying to get fairy tales taught in science classrooms and the people trying to oppress certain minorities because of some ancient text that has no relevance in today's society. So in other words, I don't think calling yourself a Christian automatically makes you anti-science, but I think people who are anti-science very much tend to be religious and in this country usually Christian. I also happen to think those people are being used as pawns by big oil. I have no doubt that there are religious people and even entire churches that are pro-science and also do good work in those areas though.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Because the pro-AGW movement is not corporate-driven, right 'loma? It is humanity, well-informed and compassionate, eyes wide open and sophisticatedly benevolent, rising up out of the goodness of our hearts to rescue a dying planet. Right? You believe that?
No, and I also don't believe in people telling others how to live their life but I do trust the evidence for man-caused GW and I think it would be kind of cool if we moved in a better direction energy-wise. If you don't want to eschew plastic bags or styrofoam cups, so be it. Anyone telling you that you have to, I agree is an asshole.

But not religious.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Steve of phpBB wrote:
Temporary J-Lo wrote:All I'm saying is that if you don't literally believe that the dude that blinked the universe into existence sent a human manifestation of himself to this speck of dust in order to have himself sacrificed to himself to appease himself so that he could forgive humans for the sinful way in which he created them, and his physical body would literally rise up to heaven, where he sits by his dad who is also him to judge humanity...if you don't believe that...in no meaningful way are you a Christian. You're just a person calling yourself a Christian in order to reap the social advantages that come with being a Christian in this country.
That is certainly one way to look at Christianity. Though I do not think your description of "Who is a Christian" is much better than Scottie's description of Who is an Environmentalist. Nor do I think you are any more qualified to decide who gets to be called "Christian" any more than Scottie is to decide who are the real environmentalists.
I'm not the arbiter of what people can call themselves. Knock yourselves out. It's just that words have meaning. That's sort of how language works. Hey...I'm an architect! See how easy that is when words don't mean anything?
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

howard test2 wrote:
Grasspenis wrote:Were they talking about the carbon offsets market or whatever it is? If so, yeah, that's stupid, but I thought they were discussing basically who is more fanatical about the cause, Bible bangers or tree-chained hippies.
you mean penn and teller? they were talking about recycling.

I've got a major quibble with this video and its that they only spent about fifteen seconds on the fact that recycling metal is actually a MASSIVE win win for everybody. Yes, most all other recycling is worthless, but metal and specifically aluminum are far far far cheaper to recycle than to produce from ore. Because that fact was inconvenient for their takedown of a gewgaw they wash over it and that pisses me off. I don't expect most viewers to be as attentive as Brian and Howard.
howard test2
Jackie Treehorn

Post by howard test2 »

i don't take their show, or that particular episode, as gospel. they are 1) entertainers in the process of entertaining, and 2) taking a biased position. i do not hold them to a very high standard for balance, objectivity, or anything else. i am happy they are a discouraging word, backed with tons of fact, against something that 'everyone knows'.

there are plenty of benefits of recycling that they downplay or ignore. perhaps even enough benefit to justify $8 billion a year. the bigger message is how millions have their thoughts, feelings, and behavior manipulated, by and for bullshit, in varying degrees.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

And Penn Jillette is hardly a leftist, Howard. If he leans in any direction, it's absolutely the other way.
howard test2
Jackie Treehorn

Post by howard test2 »

Temporary J-Lo wrote:And Penn Jillette is hardly a leftist, Howard. If he leans in any direction, it's absolutely the other way.
really? i got the impression he was left with a taste of libertarian. maybe i got that reversed. here is a snip from an interview a few years back:
http://www.askmen.com/celebs/interview_ ... rview.html
Q: What do you think will happen in the next U.S. election?

There is not a choice between Bush and Kerry. There is this whole perversion that there is a two-party system, [but] Kerry and Bush are identical in every single way. You have a lot of other choices. The idea that there is a difference between Bush and Kerry is just crazy talk. In the last election, I don't know anyone who voted for Bush or voted for Gore, all I do know is people who voted against Bush or against Gore. I think you have to tell the truth as you see it, when it's time to vote you have to vote for who you think is the best
hmm. sounds like my kind of guy.
Last edited by howard test2 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
howard test2
Jackie Treehorn

Post by howard test2 »

here is some more. i always thought he was a sensible guy.

Given the recent election and Jillette’s self-proclaimed libertarianism, I asked what he would like to see come from a second-term Obama administration. “Being a libertarian, I am very happy there will be a sense of social freedom,” said Jillette. “I wish that Obama would embrace that more, and be more respectful to people who want to smoke marijuana. I wish he would be more respectful to the state, and state’s rights like Colorado, and the other states that voted for that and not go after marijuana, but Obama giggles about dope smoking and doing cocaine, but still seems thrilled to send people to prison for that.

“I hasten to add that I have never had a sip of alcohol in my life,” he added, “and never a puff of marijuana, but I do believe that freedom matters and that should be everyone’s right. I wish he were more open and more accepting of people who are different like gays and so on. I wish he was not using the Patriot Act and having kill lists and detaining people without trials.”

Jillette went on to say that he would like to see the formation of a new political movement in the United States. “I wish we had a peace movement in this country. I wish there were somebody voicing publicly and aggressively that we should be killing many, many, many, fewer people. All that being said, America will come together much more now that the election is over. I wish we had a candidate that was a peace candidate because Obama and Romney were identical on war and foreign policy. I wish we had a candidate that was for more freedom because Obama and Romney were identical in all of that.”

Election night brought speculation that the United States was slowly embracing libertarianism; that victories for recreational marijuana and gay marriage symbolized a potential shift toward a libertarian direction of personal freedom. Jillette remains unconvinced.

“I just don’t know. I don’t know. People still seem to think that they should vote themselves money. They seem to think there is stuff which they think is the government’s job, when it’s really the individual’s job. You have to be careful as a libertarian because you can sound very Republican. I don’t want people who are in poverty, in pain, or suffering, to suffer because it’s for their own good and they can pull themselves up by their bootstraps. I want to help them. I want us all to help them. I just don’t want to use guns to do it.”
Last edited by howard test2 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

howard test2 wrote:really? i got the impression he was left with a taste of libertarian.
Penn Jillette is a Libertarian. That is to say he is a conservative. He's a conservative that doesn't buy into AGW which, on Planet Jerloma, unquestionably makes him a corporate-funded lunatic kook.

Which, of course, he is anything but.
howard test2
Jackie Treehorn

Post by howard test2 »

nice five minute filibuster from penn, "why i am a libertarian".

libertarian ideas, many of which i hold dear, are so drastically misused and mischaracterized by the gop and the dems, i am hesitant to try to discuss them. because they violate political dogma, and make people uncomfortable, they get mangled. even the idea that there are different flavors of libertarian views is widely ignored. but, since we stumbled onto the subject, here ya go.

these are conservative ideas, by and large, like barry goldwater/sandra o'connor conservative. (and much of reagan's rhetoric; but not his actual actions.)

eta: oh, and cato institute used to be the real deal. but in recent years (decade, maybe?) they have moved strongly toward corporatism. they crank out a wide range of work and views, but more crap in recent years, from my perspective. they were against the iraq war, at least. and ayn rand hated them.
Last edited by howard test2 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Actually, I don't think the fact that he leans right is a detriment. I like him because he extends the idea of small government beyond simply keeping taxes low. He extends to not telling us who we can fuck and what we can do with our bodies. It's an intellectually honest position. If I didn't hate labels so much, I'd probably even be call myself a libertarian. He's wrong about GW, methinks though.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Le Scottie wrote:
howard test2 wrote:really? i got the impression he was left with a taste of libertarian.
Penn Jillette is a Libertarian. That is to say he is a conservative. He's a conservative that doesn't buy into AGW which, on Planet Jerloma, unquestionably makes him a corporate-funded lunatic kook.

Which, of course, he is anything but.
I will fucking cut you.
Johnny Hotcakes
Brandt

Personally, I hope Francis has a short reign so that we can do this all over again soon.
Popin' ain't easy
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

TWILTS.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Johnny Hotcakes
Brandt

Popin' ain't easy.
Popin' ain't easy
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Zlax46 wrote:Popin' ain't easy.
If only Joey RAtz read the Swamp before accepting the post, he wouldn't have left the Church in this position.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Since there's no angry religious apostate thread started by Jerloma yet, I thought I'd post this little nugget here:

Suspended Connecticut priest admits to meth charge
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Wearing a beige prison jumpsuit and sporting a goatee and close-cropped hair, Wallin acknowledged in court that the drug operation involved nearly four pounds of methamphetamine.
Apparently his glasses and porkpie hat were confiscated.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Sabo wrote:Since there's no angry religious apostate thread started by Jerloma yet, I thought I'd post this little nugget here:

Suspected Connecticut priest admits to meth charge

Hey mate...this place is crawling with heathens. I agree though...someone needs to step the fuck up.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

The Pope apparently exorcised some kid in a wheelchair the other day.

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I hate the Catholic Church almost as much as you do and I suspect there are people -- even those really high up, possibly even the Pope himself -- who still believe in exorcism, but even I have to say I don't think there's anyway they'd perform one with cameras around.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I don't know why this is even a story. Demons and the devil and casting them out are just as much a part of catholic belief system as is the holy trinity. If you believe all the other stuff, then you believe in the possibility of possession and the potential success of exorcism. It's in his job description.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

brian wrote:I hate the Catholic Church almost as much as you do and I suspect there are people -- even those really high up, possibly even the Pope himself -- who still believe in exorcism, but even I have to say I don't think there's anyway they'd perform one with cameras around.
Sure they would. It's just another faith-basd magic trick. No different than turning wine into blood with cameras around.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Jerloma wrote:The Pope apparently exorcised some kid in a wheelchair the other day.
Nah, he's just putting his hands on the kid and praying. Or pretending to pray. Or whatever they do. You can tell it's not a real exorcism because the kid's head didn't turn 360° and then puke on him.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Scottie wrote:
Jerloma wrote:The Pope apparently exorcised some kid in a wheelchair the other day.
Nah, he's just putting his hands on the kid and praying. Or pretending to pray. Or whatever they do. You can tell it's not a real exorcism because the kid's head didn't turn 360° and then puke on him.
No but that would have been awesome.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Scottie wrote:
Yeah, why did someone think that was an exorcism? It looked pretty benign to me.
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

You ever think it could have just been a lesser demon, shirley?

Jeez.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

AB_skin_test wrote:You ever think it could have just been a lesser demon, shirley?

Jeez.
If Ronnie James Dio didn't sing about them, I don't know them.
Totally Kafkaesque
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Richard Pryor guest hosted SNL, and they did an exorcist skit. "Your mother sews socks that smell!"
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »