Kinglandia

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Gunpowder
The Dude

Re: Kinglandia

Post by Gunpowder »

brian wrote:Another sanctimonious ass. Not like Burfict pistol-whipped someone on the field. It was a dirty hit and he earned his penalty and suspension but come the fuck on with the "what about the children?" bullshit.

It is really off-putting to me when people call these guys thugs. Were Night Train Lane and Deacon Jones and Jack Lambert thugs?

Thugs are shooting people in the streets, or hell, ripping off clueless cities with shitty bonds for municipal improvement projects. They aren't guys going a bit beyond the line in a game that when played perfectly appropriately leaves a large majority of the players with permanent brain and physical damage.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

In King's defense, he's the one person I'd believe if he said he didn't know what "thug" was code word for. Probably heard the other guys using it and took it totally at face value.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

mister d wrote:In King's defense, he's the one person I'd believe if he said he didn't know what "thug" was code word for. Probably heard the other guys using it and took it totally at face value.

I don't even know if he used it, I was speaking more generally. I agree with you and that probably applies to a lot of people who use it but it still rubs me the wrong way.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

First, people complain that America is soft and everyone is a gaping vagina.

Then in the same breath they complain about thugs making dirty hits.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

"These players today are a bunch of fucking pussies ... my wife has already said she won't let my son play in high school."
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Peter King gets the vapors over the silliest things...
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

mister d wrote:I bet he believed in Santa until college.
My main concern with this is that it infers he stopped believing.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

I bet 19th-century Indian murder cultists really resent the casual use of "Thug."
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I wish we could get a pic of FMcB taking a swig! Then it would be a BD.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Guy wrote a story about Peter King because he got to drive him around Super Bowl week.
“Part of what I think about is, ‘Should I do something else?’ ‘Should I try some other thing?’

“Maybe, ‘Should I try to do more television than I’ve done?’”

“There are times when I say, ‘This has become a monster and I really should sort of scale back,’” he says of the column. He pulls all-nighters every Sunday evening during the NFL season, finishing his MMQB column in the wee hours. King does most of his reporting on the phone from New York. He spends a month each summer visiting NFL training camps, and says he travels about twice a month during the regular season for reporting. He watches most NFL games on Sundays from NBC’s studio in Stamford, Conn.

The column consumes his thoughts. He says, “Part of me says it’s just way too much work.”

He is thinking out loud now.

“It is too much work, and it is a real weight on my shoulders every week, but when I finish writing (the column), I feel like this is sort of a good contribution to people’s intelligence about pro football.”

King mentions other reporting challenges he finds alluring. He says he told his wife Ann that he might like to cover the 2020 presidential election.

“I don’t know if I could be any good at it,” he tells me as we approach Napa, “but I think it would be fun.”

King then talks about his dream of covering a full major league baseball season.

I wonder how many times King has written a story about a star free agent looking for his next big contract. Now, he is the star free agent. Covering baseball or politics, he wouldn’t have the personal history or access that he’s got in the NFL, America’s most popular professional game.

Later, shifting again, he says there is a chance he might move to NBC full-time, bringing his NFL column to NBC’s web site and doing more television work for the network.

Listening, I wonder if it’s the fatigue of a long season that has him talking about leaving SI for new challenges, or if it’s just Peter King being Peter King, and asking himself tough questions.

I reached Sports Illustrated Executive Editor Jon Wertheim. He declined to comment on King’s future.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Peter King is forever 15 years old.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Too much work! The guy gets paid 7 figures to generate drivel every week, and he has the nerve to complain about how its "too much work".

And he thinks covering a Presidential campaign would be "fun"? Ask any political reporter who has to schlep around Iowa or New Hampshire every 4 years, listening to a candidate's standard stump speech 10 times a day how much "fun" it is.

Jesus...talk about out of touch.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

DaveInSeattle wrote:Too much work! The guy gets paid 7 figures to generate drivel every week, and he has the nerve to complain about how its "too much work".

And he thinks covering a Presidential campaign would be "fun"? Ask any political reporter who has to schlep around Iowa or New Hampshire every 4 years, listening to a candidate's standard stump speech 10 times a day how much "fun" it is.

Jesus...talk about out of touch.
When you're at the point where you can go do something else and not worry about money, it's OK to wonder if you're working too much.

It's also OK to want to try something different, as people's definitions of "fun" differ.

Though you may not realize those things if you're out of touch.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Huge difference between working too much and it being too much work. King said the latter.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

mister d wrote:Huge difference between working too much and it being too much work. King said the latter.
I'm not going to sit here and defend King, but I also wonder if that sentence also encompassed his site and the responsibilities with it.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I admit that part of responding was to see if you would.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

“... when I finish writing (the column), I feel like this is sort of a good contribution to people’s intelligence about pro football.”
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Today's MMQB had an interesting thing about Marshawn Lynch:
This exchange between former Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch and L. Jon Wertheim, executive editor of Sports Illustrated:

Wertheim: “Everybody I’ve spoken to about you has referenced your financial savvy. What’s the source of that?”

Lynch: “You ate cereal before?”

Wertheim: “I’ve eaten cereal.”

Lynch: “Alright. Have you ever had a roach in your cereal before?”

Wertheim: “No.”

Lynch: “You haven’t, right?”

Wertheim: “I have not.”

Lynch: “If you came from eatin’ cereal with roaches in it before, Dawg . . . Feel what I’m sayin’? You wouldn’t want to do that again, right? Once you’ve seen the lowest of the low, you don’t want to go back.”
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

MMQB vs Breitbart

(and the referenced article on the multinational effort to get back Brady's jersey was actually pretty interesting)
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

rass wrote:MMQB vs Breitbart

(and the referenced article on the multinational effort to get back Brady's jersey was actually pretty interesting)
Boy how times have changed (and, has it really been 10 months since a post in this thread?)

Used to be that Fatty McB was a favorite Swamp whipping boy. (My very first Swamp post was a dig at him). Now, the first post in this thread in 10 months calls to our attention his doing something admirable, in standing up to assholes/bad "journalists". Weird.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

sancarlos wrote: Used to be that Fatty McB was a favorite Swamp whipping boy. (My very first Swamp post was a dig at him). Now, the first post in this thread in 10 months calls to our attention his doing something admirable, in standing up to assholes/bad "journalists". Weird.
Well, to be fair, I haven't looked at the MMQB in probably at least a year, so Fatty McB has fallen off my radar.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DaveInSeattle wrote:
sancarlos wrote: Used to be that Fatty McB was a favorite Swamp whipping boy. (My very first Swamp post was a dig at him). Now, the first post in this thread in 10 months calls to our attention his doing something admirable, in standing up to assholes/bad "journalists". Weird.
Well, to be fair, I haven't looked at the MMQB in probably at least a year, so Fatty McB has fallen off my radar.
Same. And I used to read Drew Magary's weekly fisking of MMQB and that's gone now too, so I haven't read it in any form in like a couple of years.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

brian wrote:
DaveInSeattle wrote:
Same. And I used to read Drew Magary's weekly fisking of MMQB and that's gone now too, so I haven't read it in any form in like a couple of years.
Was that Drew or someone else? But I miss that, too.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Was in KSK. You're right though, might not have been him. Whoever it was was hysterical though.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I found incorrect information in the article, too, but I didn't start going all #AlternativeFacts on everyone.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

FACTOID THAT MAY INTEREST ONLY ME
Dick Hammer, the late grandfather of Sam Darnold, once played the Marlboro Man in print ads and billboards across the United States.

The Marlboro Man is one of the most famous images in advertising history. Several ruggedly handsome men played the part in the seventies and eighties in the ads. They were shown smoking a Marlboro cigarette and wearing a Cowboy hat.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

FACTOID THAT MAY INTEREST ONLY ME
Dick Hammer
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Leaving SI.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Too latte
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

He was on WFAN last week and his take on the mortality of the NFL sounded waaaaaaay closer to mine than I expected.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

He’s a baseball pussy too
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I bet he believed Adam Jones.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 4:32 pm He was on WFAN last week and his take on the mortality of the NFL sounded waaaaaaay closer to mine than I expected.
Shocked you would share an opinion with a liberal, beer swilling, middle-aged white guy from a upper class North Jersey suburb.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

He lives in Montclair???
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Wait, is he following me around but a little bit cooler? Boston instead of Somerville, Montclair over SO.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I’m kind of surprised he’s siding with the football player over the baseball player.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

God I fucking hate Jack Morris.