My Fantasy Football League Needs One...

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

My Fantasy Football League Needs One...

Post by DSafetyGuy »

My long-time league is looking for a new owner, as we had one retire. If you're interested, here's the basics…

12 teams, 16-man roster, 9 players in active lineup (QB, 2RB, 2WR, RB/WR, TE, K, D/ST)

Two six-team divisions, top three in each division make playoffs, which run weeks 14-16. Division winners get byes in Week 14. East playoff champ faces West playoff champ for title in Week 16. East playoff runner-up faces West playoff runner-up for third place in Week 16.

$50 non-Swamp bucks with $300 for first, $120 for second, and $50.05 for third (the rest pays for CBS website)

You take over an existing roster, from which you keep any three players with no penalty. You can keep them for as many seasons as you like.

13-round snake draft on Sunday, August 25 at 9:00pm or 9:30pm Eastern

Non-PPR, 6 points for all TDs, yardage bonuses.

I am "co-commissioner" of the league and plan on having votes during the season about a switch to PPR and changing the draft to be "regular"

Let me know if interested or if you have any questions.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Sabo
The Dude

Re: My Fantasy Football League Needs One...

Post by Sabo »

I'm interested. Can you please post the roster we'd take over?

And is the draft online or offline?
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Huh, didn't think this would work. I may need one for my league as well. It's my law school league, been active since 1998, and we had someone drop out yesterday. It is a keeper league with some rules to keeping I can explain if anyone is interested. They would have to work with the team that is leaving, which is decent. Max 4 keepers, and players can only be kept for 3 years max (and this is our third year with this rule).

Scoring is standard PPR (half a point), no bonuses for anything. ESPN website, $100 buy in.

ETA: I like DSafe's point about not mentioning the keeper names.
Last edited by The Sybian on Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Sabo wrote:I'm interested. Can you please post the roster we'd take over?

And is the draft online or offline?
In the interest of fairness, when we have recruited new owners in the past, we have not informed the potential new owner of the roster because we are looking for someone for the long haul, not someone who would be swayed by strong keepers to try to swoop in and win, then quit after one year. I can say that there are definitely enough parts to work with (five guys worth considering as keepers and a top-six pick - it appears I did not due the lottery draft at the end of last season).

Draft is live online and commissioners have the ability to stop the draft clock, if necessary (we've had the occasional blip in the past).
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

I'll do it. Let me know the particulars about paying the league fees.

ETA: I've been looking to get in an NFL keeper league for a few years, so I'll be inclined to stick it out even if my keepers suck.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Sabo wrote:I'll do it. Let me know the particulars about paying the league fees.

ETA: I've been looking to get in an NFL keeper league for a few years, so I'll be inclined to stick it out even if my keepers suck.
You've just been cc'd on an email from me to the other commissioner that you're in, or at least the email I have for you from a couple years ago. Let me know if you don't get it.

We're pretty lax about paying for the league. Fees aren't due until November, but we start penalizing points for those who are late. Paypal or check, but that info will come.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

DSafetyGuy wrote:In the interest of fairness, when we have recruited new owners in the past, we have not informed the potential new owner of the roster because we are looking for someone for the long haul, not someone who would be swayed by strong keepers to try to swoop in and win, then quit after one year. I can say that there are definitely enough parts to work with (five guys worth considering as keepers and a top-six pick - it appears I did not due the lottery draft at the end of last season).
Gotta say I understand why this team is without an owner. Two obvious keepers and a whole bunch of mediocrity.

(Although, I LOL'd when I saw the dash through Titus Young's projected 2013 stats.)

For those who are curious, here's the roster:

QBs: Andy Dalton, Ben Roethlisberger
RBs: Doug Martin, Marcell Reece, Peyton Hillis, Mark Ingram, Maurice Jones-Drew
WR: Eric Decker, Greg Jennings, Vincent Jackson, Lance Moore, Titus Young
TE: Heath Miller
ST: Dallas, Detroit
K: Matt Prater
BuffloSoldier
Maude Lebowski

Post by BuffloSoldier »

Martin/MJD/Decker is a decent base.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

BuffloSoldier wrote:Martin/MJD/Decker is a decent base.
Seriously, that ain't bad at all. Martin is arguably the #3 pick, MJD is solid as a second RB, and the QBs are so deep this year I wouldn't worry about being able to draft a starter. I am a big fan of Vincent Jackson, too.
-Pruitt
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Yeah, at first glance, my two keepers would be Martin and Jackson. MJD's age and injury history scare me off a bit. Supposedly I have the third draft pick, but I don't know what the other keepers will be until Aug. 18. No idea if there will be any good RBs available at that draft slot.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

FYI my league is booked. Sorry to have to turn away the massive ground swell of interest.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The Sybian wrote:FYI my league is booked. Sorry to have to turn away the massive ground swell of interest.
MUTHERFUCKER.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

This league has been a MFer, but I mean that in a nice way.

Due to injuries/ineffectiveness/bad luck, I'm forced to start one of these three RBs. Advice on who to start would be appreciated:

Contestant 1: Donald Brown, RB, IND

Contestant 2: Bobby Rainey, RB, TB

Contestant 3: Mike Tolbert, RB, CAR

I'm inclined to go with Donald Brown since Trent Richardson has evolved into a steaming pile of mediocrity, but Rainey played well after Mike James broke his ankle. I'm thinking I should avoid playing any TB running backs since I've had Doug Martin (keeper) and Mike James (trade) go down. Tolbert's value is dropping now that Jonathan Stewart has made the Carolina RB spot a menage a trois of dudes.

For the none of you that are interested, I'm in third place with a 4-6 record, and I'm barely hanging on for a playoff spot. I've had the most points scored against me (averaging 109.7 points against), and I'm middle of the pack with points scored (averaging 93 ppg). The main thing I've had to learn is there is absolutely NO depth on the waiver wire. If you lose a stud player, you're fucked.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

We just had another guy leave, so I get to recycle the first thread of the post with some slight editing.
DSafetyGuy wrote:My long-time league is looking for a new owner, as we had one retire. If you're interested, here's the basics…

12 teams, 16-man roster, 9 players in active lineup (QB, 2RB, 2WR, RB/WR, TE, K, D/ST)

Two six-team divisions, top three in each division make playoffs, which run weeks 14-16. Division winners get byes in Week 14. East playoff champ faces West playoff champ for title in Week 16. East playoff runner-up faces West playoff runner-up for third place in Week 16.

Should smack-talking be an important part of fantasy football for you, Sabo and I are both in this division, so that's four head-to-head matchups with existing imaginary friends from the internet.

$50 non-Swamp bucks to enter with $300 for first, $120 for second, and $50.05 for third (the rest pays for CBS website)

You take over an existing roster, from which you keep any three players with no penalty. You can keep them for as many seasons as you like.

13-round snake draft LIKELY TO BE on Sunday, August 30 at 9:00pm or 9:30pm Eastern.

Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

I can honestly say this is one of the most fun fantasy leagues I've ever done. There's lots of good banter between teams, and one of the teams writes up a pregame betting guide for each match up that's pretty damn funny. This is a good way to gamble/lose/spend $50.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

You had me until CBS
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Can we see the roster first?
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Show me a roster and I may play.

Someone know a guy at CBS? That's the only reason you would use that right?
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Daaammmnnn y'all are KILLING CBS!!!
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Fuck it, I'm in. My #1 league seems to have died after the one year hiatus due to psychotic breakdown and freakout by one of the guys in the league. A college friend ran it, everyone went to HS together. We all lived in Hoboken together for 5 years. Lifelong friendships ended. I'm pissed, as it was an in-person draft and the only time I see any of these guys.

I miss the constant stream of trash talk, and the trashtalk in my law school league petered out years ago. Unlike all these other pussies, I'm willing to accept the team without seeing the crap I'm left with.
-Pruitt
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

The Sybian wrote:Fuck it, I'm in. My #1 league seems to have died after the one year hiatus due to psychotic breakdown and freakout by one of the guys in the league. A college friend ran it, everyone went to HS together. We all lived in Hoboken together for 5 years. Lifelong friendships ended. I'm pissed, as it was an in-person draft and the only time I see any of these guys.

I miss the constant stream of trash talk, and the trashtalk in my law school league petered out years ago. Unlike all these other pussies, I'm willing to accept the team without seeing the crap I'm left with.
I just looked at the roster. You'll have two bona fide keepers and an interesting decision on who to keep as your third keeper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I would say lowest Swampcrash score should get it, but I bought the whole sob story about his league disbanding.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote:I would say lowest Swampcrash score should get it, but I bought the whole sob story about his league disbanding.
Consider me the Lusitania survivor.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

That does suck though. I'm the commish of my league and we've had the same core of guys since 2002. I work hard every year to make sure everyone stays and shows up for the draft. I'd be pretty upset to see it disband.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote:That does suck though. I'm the commish of my league and we've had the same core of guys since 2002. I work hard every year to make sure everyone stays and shows up for the draft. I'd be pretty upset to see it disband.
More than just the league, I look forward to draft day every year. The draft is fun, huge draft board, pulling out the previous year's board and making fun of each other's picks, but more than that, I only see these guys once a year. My college roommate moved to Long Island, and our wives stopped planning get togethers, and we are too fucking lazy. Another guy moved to TN, another to Chicago. I also miss the league history, which is the reason we keep the league on CBS [/ducks for cover]. The stats go back to 2001, showing the utter dominance of my 2005 and 2012 teams.
-Pruitt
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Welcome, Sybian. Please PM me your preferred email address or just email me at my Swamp screen name at the google email service. The other co-commissioner, who will actually send out the league invitation to you, is on vacation this week, but you'll get the invite to join the website early next week.

In the meantime, here's the roster you are inheriting so you can start theorizing about your there keepers:

QB - Andrew Luck, Russell Wilson
RB - Steven Jackson, DeMarco Murray, Reggie Bush, Lance Dunbar, Lamar Miller
WR - Emmanuel Sanders, Roddy White, Larry Fitzgerald, Cecil Shorts
TE - Travis Kelce, Jason Witten
D/ST - Cardinals, Titans
K - Justin Tucker

The least you guys who asked about seeing the roster before committing could have done was copied Sabo's verbiage from upthread.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

DSafetyGuy wrote:Welcome, Sybian. Please PM me your preferred email address or just email me at my Swamp screen name at the google email service. The other co-commissioner, who will actually send out the league invitation to you, is on vacation this week, but you'll get the invite to join the website early next week.

In the meantime, here's the roster you are inheriting so you can start theorizing about your there keepers:

QB - Andrew Luck, Russell Wilson
RB - Steven Jackson, DeMarco Murray, Reggie Bush, Lance Dunbar, Lamar Miller
WR - Emmanuel Sanders, Roddy White, Larry Fitzgerald, Cecil Shorts
TE - Travis Kelce, Jason Witten
D/ST - Cardinals, Titans
K - Justin Tucker

The least you guys who asked about seeing the roster before committing could have done was copied Sabo's verbiage from upthread.
Well I replied before Sabo so that would have been difficult.

Congrats Syb, draft well and you should be in the hunt with those keeps

howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I apologize for knowing little about this stuff, but I'm wondering. Do you play both quarterbacks, or pick one each week? And do you keep both QBs? (I assume both are really good fantasy QBs since they are both really good irl.)
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

BSF21 wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:The least you guys who asked about seeing the roster before committing could have done was copied Sabo's verbiage from upthread.
Well I replied before Sabo so that would have been difficult.
Actually, Sabo replied first, almost two years ago.
howard wrote:I apologize for knowing little about this stuff, but I'm wondering. Do you play both quarterbacks, or pick one each week? And do you keep both QBs? (I assume both are really good fantasy QBs since they are both really good irl.)
Regular leagues, you pick one each week, so you would normally keep one strong QB. For example, our league weights QBs a little heavier than most leagues and there are usually 7-8 teams that keep a QB.

There is a format called "best ball" in which everyone on your team plays every week and the best possible scores count within the parameters of the lineup requirements. Some leagues that play this way have you draft an exceptionally large roster (maybe 30 spots) and have zero roster transactions after the draft. With the large roster and relatively normal size weekly lineup (say, 10 or 11 spots), pretty much everyone who ends up with "fantasy value" by the end of the season gets drafted. This enables owners to cover injuries, bye weeks, and so on (theoretically, anyway).
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Andrew Luck in a QB heavy league is a really nice player, especially with no limit on how long you can keep a player. That could be a 10 year keeper (now he is destined to suffer a career ending injury by Week 3). Luck and Murray are obvious keepers, but who I keep as the 3rd? I'm tempted to keep Wilson and try to trade him.

DSafe, are there trades prior to declaring keepers?
-Pruitt
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

The Sybian wrote:Andrew Luck in a QB heavy league is a really nice player, especially with no limit on how long you can keep a player. That could be a 10 year keeper (now he is destined to suffer a career ending injury by Week 3). Luck and Murray are obvious keepers, but who I keep as the 3rd? I'm tempted to keep Wilson and try to trade him.

IIRC, you can make trades before the draft. I wish I had something to offer you for Wilson, but I don't think you'll want anyone from my team. My team is bereft of talent.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

The Sybian wrote:Andrew Luck in a QB heavy league is a really nice player, especially with no limit on how long you can keep a player. That could be a 10 year keeper (now he is destined to suffer a career ending injury by Week 3). Luck and Murray are obvious keepers, but who I keep as the 3rd? I'm tempted to keep Wilson and try to trade him.

Yes, you can trade prior to the draft. And my ears are open on Wilson....
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

We just had another guy leave, so I get to recycle the first/fourteenth thread of the post with some slight editing.
DSafetyGuy wrote:My long-time league is looking for a new owner, as we had one retire. If you're interested, here's the basics…

Should smack-talking be an important part of fantasy football for you, Sabo, Sybian, and I are all in this division, so that's six head-to-head matchups with existing imaginary friends from the internet.

$50 non-Swamp bucks to enter with $300 for first, $120 for second, and $50.05 for third (the rest pays for CBS website)

13-round snake draft LIKELY TO BE on Sunday, August 28 at 9:00pm or 9:30pm Eastern.

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I vouch for this league. It's worth it for the weekly gambling lines with well written, humorous reasons and recaps after the game.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I'm in.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Should you have another drop, I might throw my hat in. I just hate CBS.

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Giff wrote:I'm in.
Just sent you a PM.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Giff, until we get the official invite out to you, here's the roster you are taking over. Three keepers out of this group:

QB - Drew Brees, Brian Hoyer
RB - LeSean McCoy, Charles Sims, Melvin Gordon, Theo Riddick
WR - Doug Baldwin, Eric Decker, Randall Cobb, Michael Floyd, James Jones, Torrey Smith
TE - Coby Fleener, Jordan Reed
D/ST - Packers
K - Chandler Catanzaro
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Well hoyer for sure. LOL.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Andrew luck fucked me in my keeper league last year.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.