Google Reader

Post by Shirley »

Totally Kafkaesque
Rush2112
The Dude

Re: Google Reader

Post by Rush2112 »

Indeed. iGoogle and now Reader.

Two of their most useful products gone away.

(Plus they are removing ad removal apps from Google Play.)
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Travzilla Beta
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Travzilla Beta »

Ugh. I suppose I can see how RSS might be dying off, but I still have Reader open all day, and I'm not sure what the alternative is to follow a bunch of different blogs and stuff in one place, other than just moving to a different feed reader (I guess I'll check out Feedly that was mentioned in the wired link, unless there are other suggestions)
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I don't really get why RSS is dying off (if it really is). Was it replaced by something and I missed it?

Is the idea that I have to use Twitter to follow a bunch of blogs/sites? If so, that's bullshit.
Totally Kafkaesque
howard test2
Jackie Treehorn

Post by howard test2 »

i've never used rss, and never thought much about it.

why and how do you guys use it?
"…and, you ground into a World Series ending double play"
bryan
Jackie Treehorn

Post by bryan »

howard test2 wrote:i've never used rss, and never thought much about it.

why and how do you guys use it?
Mostly for viewing new posts on a website or blog. I use my e-mail client, but I get a notification of a new post similar to how you'd be notified of an e-mail. Then I can either choose to read the article or not.
admin
Maude Lebowski

Post by admin »

I thought Google had already killed the reader.
timgod99X
Jackie Treehorn

Post by timgod99X »

I never got into using RSS either. What I've been doing for the last several years is doing a pass through my twitter feed in the morning, opening any columns, stories or whatever that seem interesting and then clipping it to my Evernote notebook.

Then, as they day goes on, going to the notebook and reading the articles from there when I have time, adding anything new that hits twitter. This way I have stuff saved somewhere for later if I don't have time to read it.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

timgod99X wrote:I never got into using RSS either. What I've been doing for the last several years is doing a pass through my twitter feed in the morning, opening any columns, stories or whatever that seem interesting and then clipping it to my Evernote notebook.

Then, as they day goes on, going to the notebook and reading the articles from there when I have time, adding anything new that hits twitter. This way I have stuff saved somewhere for later if I don't have time to read it.
An rss reader is a lot easier than that.

For those that have never used one, it's a great way to aggregate content from a bunch of different sites into one view. You don't have to go to every blog or news site you like - their content comes to you. Often, ad free as well. Some sites include full content in their rss feeds, meaning you never have to actually go to their site. Others include only snippets, so you can see if you're interested and then click through.

Like Brian said, it's kind of like an email inbox, but with web content.

It's how I read up on ACC news (I subscribe to 10-12 ACC sites), plus tech sites, Grantland, LinkedIn updates (getting too busy these days, so I mostly just Mark All Read), etc.
Totally Kafkaesque
timgod99X
Jackie Treehorn

Post by timgod99X »

I think I remember trying that before, but feeling that I was missing stuff if I didn't read up quick enough, as it would get pushed down the feed. This way, if I can't get to something that day, I have it to read on a Saturday morning with my coffee.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

timgod99X wrote:I think I remember trying that before, but feeling that I was missing stuff if I didn't read up quick enough, as it would get pushed down the feed. This way, if I can't get to something that day, I have it to read on a Saturday morning with my coffee.
With Google Reader or Feedly (the reader I use on my iOS devices and will switch to on my computer when Google goes away), you can star articles to read later or send them off to a clipping service. I'm guessing you can get them into Evernote.
Totally Kafkaesque
temporassy
Jackie Treehorn

Post by temporassy »

I've been using Netvibes for years. It was the first one I tried, and I liked it enough that I stuck with it so I'm not sure what I features I might be missing from other readers.

ETA: Nice list of alternative readers
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

howard test2 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:15 pm ...you...
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.