Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Pruitt
The Dude

Re: Random Politics

Post by Pruitt »

Holy shit is the U.K. a mess.

Theresa May delays parliamentary vote on Brexit deal
As late as Monday morning, May’s cabinet ministers assured the public that the vote would not be delayed.
I'd short the pound right about now.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:13 am Holy shit is the U.K. a mess.

Theresa May delays parliamentary vote on Brexit deal
As late as Monday morning, May’s cabinet ministers assured the public that the vote would not be delayed.
I'd short the pound right about now.
Fucking embarrassing, fucking tories
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:31 am Daytime TV is subtly a disgusting conduit for GOP propaganda. During Thanksgiving I was visiting Phoenix. To have something on in the background while we eat breakfast and start prepping for the day we had Fox10 on.

You see the usual uplifting story, a local story, a man on the street story, weather.. Etc. Randomly thrown in was an anti-Mueller story (I think that Jacob Wohl thing) without context or anything. The Talking Head Robotic White Man had reported it with a "Would you believe that?" kind of voice. And then it just went into Black Friday shopping.

This morning I'm in San Antonio and in the lobby area of my hotel for breakfast I'm watching NBC4 and they are doing the same boring morning churn. Out of nowhere is a story about Jerome Corsi suing Mueller. Nothing about, oh, I don't know, Trump being an unindicted co-conspirator and "Individual 1."

These are the type of mind control things that get public perception to turn. It's sneaky and propagandist.
This is an enormous problem, especially with Sinclair Broadcasting moving into most media markets. I'll let John Oliver tell it in a much more entertaining and informative way than I can.

An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I know most of you guys know this, but Paul Ryan is a shit head of epic proportions.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics ... cits-trump
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I figured that, Syb. Especially knowing when the guy from Deadspin posted that one video of all the videos that went viral.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

CNN urges people to ignore climate change deniers they regularly feature on TV

Because CNN is in on the fix. They love being called Fake News. Jeff Zucker takes in money when CNN is a punching bag.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:57 am CNN urges people to ignore climate change deniers they regularly feature on TV

Because CNN is in on the fix. They love being called Fake News. Jeff Zucker takes in money when CNN is a punching bag.
Trump’s free advertising on CNN throughout 2016 was yet one of the many differences that threw the election.
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

EnochRoot wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:07 am
Johnnie wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:57 am CNN urges people to ignore climate change deniers they regularly feature on TV

Trump’s free advertising on CNN throughout 2016 was yet one of the many differences that threw the election.
It was low-key an exercise into how propaganda works. Bludgeon and bludgeon with messaging every day that this is ok and people end up getting used to thinking this is ok.

Last I checked (spoiler alert) He loved Big Brother afterall.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Awesome.

L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Because I read Dan Savage's column, especially in the mid-2000s, I can't see the name "Santorum" without chuckling.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The "definition" is still the top Google link.

If only that was brought up the other day to their CEO.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

FACTS

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

When Sheldon Adelson says jump, Donald Trump says "how high".

TL:DR version is that Adelson is adamantly against any form of online gambling, which this will ensure doesn't proliferate.

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Getting breaking news reports of RBG undergoing surgery for lung cancer

Fuck fuck fuck fuck.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Because we're living in the darkest timeline it's obvious RBG is gonna die in January 2020 and McConnell is gonna ram some insane rapist Jesus freak through the Senate even though it's an election year because of course that's what's gonna happen.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Wonder if Manchin is furiously trying to cash in his IOUs to get the president's wall funded. No purity tests for a "Dem" in WV.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

She's exactly who I want in a rep.

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Did I say this here or just talking with my mom? She's tremendous and the big tipping point will be her inevitable first screwup and how CNN/MSNBC covers it. She's already far past the point of proving her credibility so I'm hoping someone has a full catalog of every dipshit thing every other name in congress has said just in case they go the sensational "this is disqualifying" route.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:41 pm She's exactly who I want in a rep.

What am I missing? I don’t see anything that says they put the wall in.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

It says the Republicans approved $5.7B in spending when $5.7MM in Democrat spending on any of those other things listed would be labeled wasteful or impossible.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Right but in the end that bill got nixed. I missed the time stamp. I get now that it more about the sentiment than a bill being passed and signed. Carry on.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The Quiet Integrity of James Mattis
The president has not visited troops in combat zones. Mattis said he’d advised the president not to do so, that it was too dangerous. That excuse prevented the president from using the military as a political backdrop and associating it with his political choices. Nor have there been pictures of the president with troops deployed on the border. In these ways, Mattis did his best to shield the military from Trump.
Not only do troops never want DVs in a warzone because of the abundance of nonsensical cleanup and dog and pony show fuck-fuck games that would occur, but the point above is salient.

Hopefully this gets through the thick skulls of people (mostly liberals) calling Trump out for not going.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Man, these fools are so fucking afraid of her. They have to constantly make up stories about her being rich. And she keeps knocking them down.

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

My queen
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Not my first choice, but definitely in the top three or four if only for the fact that Trump absolutely is batshit obsessed with her.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

I think Warren is clearly among the best candidates from a policy standpoint. Among those who have been mentioned as likely candidates, she and Sanders are a cut above the rest when it comes to having a demonstrated commitment to addressing the effects of inequality and commitment to economic justice. I’m less confident in her foreign policy views, in part because it just hasn’t been as big of a priority for her. And I view Trump’s fixation with her as downside, not an upside. I am confident in her ability to win a battle of ideas with him, but less sure about how she’d hold up in a contest of personalities.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:47 amMy queen
No clue why. That said I pretty much dislike anyone with the ego necessary to run for president.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Unfair or not, there is so much vitriol against Warren, and not just by the crazy republicans; anti-trumpers hate her too. Even though she's so far away from Hillary on issues, she'll get the same treatment. There will be non stop coverage of the Indian issue while whatever bigger scandal about her opponent will be ignored.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

EdRomero wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:37 pm Unfair or not, there is so much vitriol against Warren, and not just by the crazy republicans; anti-trumpers hate her too. Even though she's so far away from Hillary on issues, she'll get the same treatment. There will be non stop coverage of the Indian issue while whatever bigger scandal about her opponent will be ignored.
(I can tell you why.)
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

HaulCitgo wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:32 pm
No clue why. That said I pretty much dislike anyone with the ego necessary to run for president.
I took a law school class from Warren 10 years ago before she decided to run for the Senate. She does have an ego, as do almost all successful people in any field, but it’s very different from that of most politicians. She treats people with respect — if anything, it can come off as overly formal — and certainly does not seem like she only cares about others as vehicles for her own ambition.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

HaulCitgo wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:32 pm
Essentially, for her willingness to hold big banks accountable, among other left and progressive positions.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I'd like to think is be just like her if I were a representative. But I'd be more vulgar.

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

EdRomero wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:37 pm Unfair or not, there is so much vitriol against Warren, and not just by the crazy republicans; anti-trumpers hate her too. Even though she's so far away from Hillary on issues, she'll get the same treatment. There will be non stop coverage of the Indian issue while whatever bigger scandal about her opponent will be ignored.
Yeah, very surprised at the vitriol my father and both inlaws have towards her. The Indian blood mischaracterized story definitely worked on my father. Joe Rogan is constantly mocking her for the miniscule percentage or Indian ancestry her 23 and Me results showed, but that completely misses the point. She told a story about how one of her grandparents was part Indian, and the family disavowed their courtship because of the tainted Indian blood. She never claimed status as an Indian tribe member, and despite Trump's lies, she didn't get hired at Harvard because of claiming minority status. At some point, Harvard boasted about her being a minority, but she and others in Harvard Law's administration at the time say she did not approve or consent to Harvard holding her out as a minority.

I was talking to a former student of hers recently, and man does this guy fucking hate her with a passion.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, my issue with Warren isn't that she did or didn't claim to be Native American, it's how she handled it once Trump got involved.

Her response should've been pretty much a concise distillation of what Syb just said and then move the fuck on. I don't have an issue with her doing the 23 and Me thing, for her own personal satisfaction, but publicly releasing it was about as dumb a move as I've seen politically in a long time.

That judgment really worries me and makes her a nonstarter in a battle with Trump. Don't get into the slop with a pig.
Last edited by Nonlinear FC on Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:16 pm Yeah, my issue with Warren is that she did or didn't claim to be Native American, it's how she handled it once Trump got involved.

Her response should've been pretty much a concise distillation of what Syb just said and then move the fuck on. I don't have an issue with her doing the 23 and Me thing, for her own personal satisfaction, but publicly releasing it was about as dumb a move as I've seen politically in a long time.

That judgment really worries me and makes her a nonstarter in a battle with Trump. Don't get into the slop with a pig.
Yep. She thought she could put it out there and kill the story, but Trump can always go lower, and he isn't constrained by facts or reality. He can always claim some batshit crazy thing and not get any splashback. Not sure how ti handle Trump, but flinging mud back at him won't move his base. While it might be fun to see someone hit back, they can only damage themselves.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:20 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:16 pm Yeah, my issue with Warren is that she did or didn't claim to be Native American, it's how she handled it once Trump got involved.

Yep. She thought she could put it out there and kill the story, but Trump can always go lower, and he isn't constrained by facts or reality. He can always claim some batshit crazy thing and not get any splashback. Not sure how ti handle Trump, but flinging mud back at him won't move his base. While it might be fun to see someone hit back, they can only damage themselves.
I've been thinking about this and the primaries and what the Dems need is the rough equivalent of a rabbit in track and horse racing terminology. Someone that sticks around as a lightly funded 3rd or 4th ranked candidate with no real chance or desire of winning, whose sole job is to just troll the fuck out of Trump. Just daily barrage of absolute mud slinging, facts and reality be damned (tho, really, all that they'd need to do is keep ticking off the stuff that is publicly available or that has been reported on, even if speculative.)

Stormy Daniels' lawyer was who I was hoping would be in the mix, but alas... Anyways, he's the type of guy I'm thinking of... Keep the "real" candidates out of the deep mud, allowing them to kind of stay above the fray until they have to engage later on.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:25 pm
The Sybian wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:20 pm

I've been thinking about this and the primaries and what the Dems need is the rough equivalent of a rabbit in track and horse racing terminology. Someone that sticks around as a lightly funded 3rd or 4th ranked candidate with no real chance or desire of winning, whose sole job is to just troll the fuck out of Trump. Just daily barrage of absolute mud slinging, facts and reality be damned (tho, really, all that they'd need to do is keep ticking off the stuff that is publicly available or that has been reported on, even if speculative.)

Stormy Daniels' lawyer was who I was hoping would be in the mix, but alas... Anyways, he's the type of guy I'm thinking of... Keep the "real" candidates out of the deep mud, allowing them to kind of stay above the fray until they have to engage later on.
Interesting idea, but anyone who hasn't turned on Trump at this point is going to. Ever. Well, at least not because of something a Dem primary longshot throws out there.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Mitt Romney: The president shapes the public character of the nation. Trump’s character falls short.

In other words:

Rick Wilson's take: Mitt Romney Is the Most Dangerous Man in Trump’s City of Lackeys

It's ok, but other than being very anti-Trump, he thinks that conservatism is still a viable position/political ideology. I don't buy it.

Romney is the next in line of Flake/Kasich/Sasse that's full of bluster, but ultimately falling in line.

Edit:

Charles Pierce calls out his bullshit.