Random Politics

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Re: Random Politics

Post by Nonlinear FC »

brian wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:17 am
All that said, I mostly agree with the premise that if Texas is legitimately in play then Trump is in trouble. Hell, the fact that the GOP might have to spend tens of millions of dollars there just to ensure a win there could be a good thing as far as diverting resources away from other swing states as long as the Democrats aren't wasting resources there that could be used elsewhere.
This is the drum I've been banging. It's not necessarily that we're going to win Tejas, it's that if the GOP has to spend money there... That is a MASSIVELY expensive state to have to put resources into.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

The video clip of the first one is a doozy.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

“I MEANT GAY KIDS. BLACK KIDS. Fat kids? Fuck it.”
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I know that one shouldn't use negative stereotyping, but is it okay to be just a bit ageist?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Pruitt wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:28 am I know that one shouldn't use negative stereotyping, but is it okay to be just a bit ageist?
Biden absolutely seems like he’s lost a step. He was always gaffe-prone but my memory of 2008 and 2012 is that he seemed much sharper during those campaign cycles. The same could be said of Trump. He was always a megalomaniacal racist asshole, but his statements from earlier decades are much more coherent. And we’re probably going to have one of those two as President until at least 2025. Good times!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Joe K wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:02 am
Pruitt wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:28 am I know that one shouldn't use negative stereotyping, but is it okay to be just a bit ageist?
Biden absolutely seems like he’s lost a step. He was always gaffe-prone but my memory of 2008 and 2012 is that he seemed much sharper during those campaign cycles. The same could be said of Trump. He was always a megalomaniacal racist asshole, but his statements from earlier decades are much more coherent. And we’re probably going to have one of those two as President until at least 2025. Good times!
Robert Mugabe approves.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I... actually don't get that joke. Are we going to have runaway inflation?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

L-Jam3 wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:34 am I... actually don't get that joke. Are we going to have runaway inflation?
Just a reference to age and infirmities.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Well, Stephen Ross is fucked. Cancelled my Blink membership.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:49 am Well, Stephen Ross is fucked. Cancelled my Blink membership.
Shit, really??? Dammit.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Yeah, I'm protesting Equinox and Soul Cycle too by having never been there in the first place.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:37 pm Yeah, I'm protesting Equinox and Soul Cycle too by having never been there in the first place.
My friend said, "I wish I had a Soul Cycle membership so I could quit!"
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

After this story from WaPo:

TheBirminghamBear from Reddit with a very poignant observation and analysis again:
Because what they're all finding out is that the protection extended to Trump by congressional Republicans does not extend to his idiot supporters. Trump gets to be insulated through money and a legion of sycophants editing and curating the media he sees to constantly protect his exceedingly fragile ego. He gets a legion of congressional Republicans that know he's a complete and utter imbecile, but in the interest of preserving their power eagerly and publicly defend his imbecility, his hate and stupidity. Trump lives in a painstakingly crafted bubble whose entire purpose is protecting him from the glaring reality that he's racist loser with no mental capacity to do the job he never deserved in the first place.

But the Trump supporter out in the streets has no such protection. He feels the disgust and loathing of his fellow countrymen. And that's powerful.

One of the single greatest forces acting on people in a society is the consensus and norms of their peers.

That is why you *cannot* let up. Do *not* let Trump and Republicans normalize his racism, xenophobia, and hate.

These norms can spread like a virus. We, the majority, are the herd immunity. We rebuff and make them ashamed to speak their viral hatred in person. And that is good. We cannot let them normalize this. We cannot let them be comfortable in their vile, horrid hate and racism.

I don't know you, but you - whoever you are - you have much more power than you think. When you interact in real life with a Trump supporter, when you shame them for espousing hate, it may *seem* as though you get nowhere. That Trump supporter may be boisterous and prideful in his hate and anger, may seem unrepentant, but the disgust on the face of a peer does have a strong effect on them. They will remember it, and it will erode their resolve.

I can't tell you who the best candidate for President is. But the one thing I can assure you - what we have on our side - is that Trump and the rhetoric and ideology of the Republicans is *wrong*. It is wrong for society, bad for humanity. It will lead to a culture that is poorer, sicker, more deprived of love and happiness and joy. It is a cancer in the body politic.

Look at the stories we see. Trump throws tantrums every other day when met with the resistance to his revolting ideas. Trump supporters are afraid to speak their hate aloud and in public. The administration is seeking an *executive order* just to suppress the overwhelming majority opinion on line that their ideas are vile and sick.

The illusion provided by their occupation of power can seem omnipotent, but Trump and the Republicans are far, far weaker than they seem, and they know it. And it *terrifies* them.

Trump has allowed these disgusting ideas to wriggle out of the rotted logs on the floor of our country. But now they're finding they burn in the light. They thought their Imbecile Jesus had blanketed the sky in darkness for them to thrive, but he did not. We are not going anywhere, and there are a hell of a lot more of us than there are of them. They have cheated and lied and waited in the dark and in patience to scrabble together the power they have now, but do not confuse that with legitimacy. The government is nothing but the consensus of the people and they do *not* have our consensus merely because they can steal seats through hostile foreign interference and gerrymandering. We do not have to respect them and we do not have to allow them to exist through another election cycle. We choose.

So don't stop. Don't let up. Do not let trolls or loud jackasses in pickup trucks waving confederate flags get one moment of peace from our vocal condemnation of their ideas.

This is our society. Our culture. It is one of freedom for all men - an ideal that may not ever be achieved but must *always be striven towards*. One of the freedom for every person to pursue happiness. And at the core of the ideology of Republicans is the *antithesis* of that. Their ideology is one of a hierarchy of men, and not even one built on merit, but built on inheritance - the inheritance of money, the inheritance of privelege, the inheritance of a better skin color and better ancestry, the inheritance of entitlement merely from being born one place and not another. Like most of what they do, their fixation on "merit" is projection - they don't want to have to earn or work for anything. They want respect for their gender, privilege for their race and birthplace, and most importantly, they want *respect* and *acceptance*.

That is their sickness. That is at the core of everything they think and everything they do. Reject them. Reject them everywhere you see them, everywhere you meet them. No one whose ideology is based upon denying another human being their fundamental humanity merely because they were born with blacker skin or to poorer people in a poorer country deserves any respect, and they deserve no peaceful night's sleep without seeing and hearing the revulsion and condemnation of our many voices.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Thanks Johnnie.

That reddit post made me feel better than I have in months.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Twitter is acting like 7th grade me right now. Yo, TurdRyan! Where you at?

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Not since the glory days of Dick Trickle and Gay Brewer...
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

My buddy's father-in-law is named Dick Stump.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/12/busi ... ydCIT3TWqO

Nothing particularly new in this, but it’s an interesting read from a reporter who agreed to speak with Epstein “on background,” then decided that agreement lapsed with his death. Epstein told the reporter he had dirt on powerful people and offered him dinner with Woody Allen and Steve Bannon. He also claimed to be in regular context with MBS.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Oh good.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Will be a good test of Russian irony to see if they assign him a win with 74.9% of the vote.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Steve King is at it again...

Rep. Steve King Says Humanity Wouldn’t Exist Without Rape, Incest
Rep. Steve King (R-IA) on Wednesday defended his position to ban abortions for victims of rape or incest by saying both things have been vital to maintaining the human population.

“What if we went back through all the family trees and just pulled out anyone who was a product of rape or incest? Would there be any population of the world left if we did that?” King told the Westside Conservative Club in Iowa. “Considering all the wars and all the rapes and pillages that happened throughout all these different nations, I know that I can't say that I was not a part of a product of that,” he added .

The Des Moines Register reported King was defending his decision not to allow exceptions for rape and incest victims in anti-abortion legislation he previously introduced in Congress.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Quite an argument to make.

Makes me want to have Mongolian BBQ for dinner tonight.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

How on earth are we here at this point in 2019?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

If you think about it, no matter how much 'progress' is made throughout humanity, those with power and money give fuckall about the rest of us.

Technology, science, etc... Doesn't matter. Human depravity doesn't just evaporate because we're comparatively more comfortable than in previous eras.

If anything it just evolves with the time.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

So I guess I missed it in high school or whatever, but can anyone give me the elevator pitch lesson on why the US supports Israel so much? Just to have an ally in the middle east?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

A_B wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:58 am So I guess I missed it in high school or whatever, but can anyone give me the elevator pitch lesson on why the US supports Israel so much? Just to have an ally in the middle east?
Well, yeah, for one thing Israel has traditionally been a check against both Muslim radicalism in the region and also a key ally during the Cold War to check Soviet ambitions (primarily in Syria... USSR pumped a shit ton of money into Syria in the late 70s and 80s.)

We've also pumped a bunch of arms sales through Israel to places we couldn't directly support, most notably South Africa (apartheid era), Iran (Shah era) and Nicaragua (contra era).

Then you get into the weird fucking shit with the Christian right wing, that sees the gathering of Jews in the Holy Land as the sign that Jesus is coming back to save the world... or some such nonsense.

And just generally, there is a weird guilt-driven thing with liberals who feel like Israel and the Jews were driven from their homes in Europe and therefore they can do no wrong in protecting their sovereignty, the rights of Palestinians and other minorities in the vicinity be damned.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Can't really stress enough on that second point. Arms sales is a HUGE driver in terms of Washington money/support. They dwarf the influence of AIPAC in terms of lobbying $$.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Yeah, that sums it up. I went to Reddit's "Explain like I'm 5" subreddit and did a search. This past covers it. There are also other posts that get into details (like the Christian stuff) as well.

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Thanks, guys!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:40 am
A_B wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:58 am So I guess I missed it in high school or whatever, but can anyone give me the elevator pitch lesson on why the US supports Israel so much? Just to have an ally in the middle east?
Well, yeah, for one thing Israel has traditionally been a check against both Muslim radicalism in the region and also a key ally during the Cold War to check Soviet ambitions (primarily in Syria... USSR pumped a shit ton of money into Syria in the late 70s and 80s.)

We've also pumped a bunch of arms sales through Israel to places we couldn't directly support, most notably South Africa (apartheid era), Iran (Shah era) and Nicaragua (contra era).

Then you get into the weird fucking shit with the Christian right wing, that sees the gathering of Jews in the Holy Land as the sign that Jesus is coming back to save the world... or some such nonsense.

And just generally, there is a weird guilt-driven thing with liberals who feel like Israel and the Jews were driven from their homes in Europe and therefore they can do no wrong in protecting their sovereignty, the rights of Palestinians and other minorities in the vicinity be damned.
Egypt was also a Soviet client state.

Not sure that the Holocaust guilt plays a part any more - certainly into the 80s it did.

but now you've got big donors and mega-lobbyists pushing Israel's interests.

I was raised to be a supporter of Israel, and it used to be a lot easier when it was a secular state surrounded by strong enemies.

But the rise of the religious right in that country makes it pretty damn hard. My Israeli relatives and the people i've worked with are what you'd call "Tel Aviv" Israelis. As different from the Haredim and other Orthodox right wingers as San Francisco liberals are from rural Kansans.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Well, obviously. Since people realize the right’s utter horseshit the more a person is educated, it makes sense the GOP endeavors to demonize college and keep people, especially whites, dumb.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

L-Jam3 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:20 am Well, obviously. Since people realize the right’s utter horseshit the more a person is educated, it makes sense the GOP endeavors to demonize college and keep people, especially whites, dumb.
Given that increased education correlated with increased wealth, and that increased wealth correlates with support for the GOP, I don’t think this is necessarily what’s going on. Rather, based on the article it seems like Republicans have bought into the whole snowflakes/safe spaces/trigger warnings hysteria and think that you can’t even use gendered pronouns on college campuses anymore.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

That's too big picture. The present day power benefits from a dumber general population, not encouraging more to join them in wealth (and esp not joining them via merit versus nepotism).
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

ETA: It’s kind of a pet peeve of mine when people characterize GOP voters as dumb, uneducated white rubes, because I think it misdiagnoses the problem. Plenty of GOP voters and Trump supporters are educated and affluent. They know that much of what Trump is saying is nonsense but they don’t care because they just want lower taxes. I’d guess that the Democratic Party is actually significantly more reliant on support from less educated voters than the GOP is.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Joe K wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:23 am ETA: It’s kind of a pet peeve of mine when people characterize GOP voters as dumb, uneducated white rubes, because I think it misdiagnoses the problem. Plenty of GOP voters and Trump supporters are educated and affluent. They know that much of what Trump is saying is nonsense but they don’t care because they just want lower taxes. I’d guess that the Democratic Party is actually significantly more reliant on support from less educated voters than the GOP is.
I still think the majority of GOP voters nationwide are less educated than Dem voters and care less about tax policy even than they do the GOP reliance on wedge issues like race, abortion, feminism, guns, etc.

The voters Joe is talking about are people who make six figures+ a year and only care about their bottom line financially. Those people exist, but they're not the reason the GOP rolls to huge wins in places like Oklahoma, North Dakota and West Virginia.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

Joe K wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:19 am
L-Jam3 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:20 am Well, obviously. Since people realize the right’s utter horseshit the more a person is educated, it makes sense the GOP endeavors to demonize college and keep people, especially whites, dumb.
Given that increased education correlated with increased wealth, and that increased wealth correlates with support for the GOP, I don’t think this is necessarily what’s going on. Rather, based on the article it seems like Republicans have bought into the whole snowflakes/safe spaces/trigger warnings hysteria and think that you can’t even use gendered pronouns on college campuses anymore.
There is a lot of money in trades too. There is such a need for trades workers that one could move up quickly if willing to move states or work overtime.

The abundance of useless degrees is becoming a problem as college graduates have debt and exoectations but very low job prospects.
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I'd guess over 90% of the executive wings of American corporate offices vote republican. And while they don't make up the majority of votes, they make up a really significant portion of the financial donations to republican PACs and candidates. That helps them roll to wins in uneducated rural areas.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

brian wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:25 am
Joe K wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:23 am ETA: It’s kind of a pet peeve of mine when people characterize GOP voters as dumb, uneducated white rubes, because I think it misdiagnoses the problem. Plenty of GOP voters and Trump supporters are educated and affluent. They know that much of what Trump is saying is nonsense but they don’t care because they just want lower taxes. I’d guess that the Democratic Party is actually significantly more reliant on support from less educated voters than the GOP is.
I still think the majority of GOP voters nationwide are less educated than Dem voters and care less about tax policy even than they do the GOP reliance on wedge issues like race, abortion, feminism, guns, etc.

The voters Joe is talking about are people who make six figures+ a year and only care about their bottom line financially. Those people exist, but they're not the reason the GOP rolls to huge wins in places like Oklahoma, North Dakota and West Virginia.
The GOP certainly dominates rural, heavily white states for various reasons. But I was also thinking about the urban/suburban political split that exists throughout the country. To use just one example, the GOP is getting a lot more support from people in West St. Louis County with big homes and multiple degrees than they are in the poor parts of the city. Obviously race/racism is a huge factor in the urban/suburban dynamic. But at least in all the states I’ve lived in (NY, CT, MA, MO), there are a lot more Republicans in the affluent suburbs than in more working class areas.
degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

Once people go to the suburbs, they dont help the cities anymore.

Social programs? Infrastructure?

Fuck that. They are too worried about their neighbours greener grass.
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..