Random Politics

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Re: Random Politics

Post by HaulCitgo »

I'ma go with regrets and dead presidents. Possibly the most overrated reaper in hip hop history
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

sancarlos wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 6:58 pm
This law is just asking to be challenged. Have an teacher in Houston in a primarily black high school teach it to fuck around and find out.

ETA: First of all, I doubt this law is written well enough to survive a challenge on vagueness. A challenge could be a teacher instructing on redlining. I’m sure there’s a redlined neighborhood in Houston or Dallas. I would love to see some big-haired Texas nouveau-riche broad challenging this teacher that it’s illegal to teach that there was a concentrated structural effort to keep blacks out of certain neighborhoods.

And speaking of redlining, I consider myself an intelligent, well-read, socially conscious person. And yet, I never knew of redlining until about 4 years ago on the Stuff You Missed In History Class podcast. I was completely dumbfounded that such a damaging and insidious campaign never even got a mention in my schooling.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

HaulCitgo wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 8:53 pm I'ma go with regrets and dead presidents. Possibly the most overrated reaper in hip hop history
Possibly? Jay-Z sucks, and his wife is worse. They’re embarrassing(ly rich).
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I’m suprised Yang didn’t say “Ain’t No” but also include the third word in the title.

(Right answer is “22 Twos” or the original version of “Dead Presidents” that name checks Sebastian Telfair.)
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

That's two NYT interviews in a row where Yang has been asked a question, then hemmed and hawed about the answer, and repeated the question back. The last time he got some arcane number exactly right. It was something like how many homeless people are in NYC, and the answer was 8,765, and he nailed it exactly, after going through the same long ass deliberate response.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 8:48 pm I’m beyond fuckin’ tired with the NYC election and it isn’t for like 87 more months. NYC survived Giuliani, Bloomberg and DeBlasio just fine. I’m not sure the job really matters.
I’m sick of it already, but mayor makes a huge impact and a lot of minorities didn’t survive as a direct result of Giuliani’s policing policies.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Dark ...
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I'm sure this will get nothing but serious and well meaning reports...
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Well if this isn't an attempt to subvert the military and plant the seeds to get them on board for the next insurrection I don't know what is.

This is frightening. And it goes to Ol' One Eye and Mr. No Quarter? What the fuck.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Johnnie wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 8:35 pm Well if this isn't an attempt to subvert the military and plant the seeds to get them on board for the next insurrection I don't know what is.
Its also a pretty sneaky way to build up their mailing lists, I'm sure.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

"Someone keeps stealing my Back the Blue eyepatch!"
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Hope for our future. Valedictorian speech from a Texas high schooler railing against the unconscionable anti-abortion law passed in Texas. It takes 30 seconds to get going, but this girl crushed it!

-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Chills.

Surprised they let her finish.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

George P. Bush is running for attorney general in Texas — and courting Trump

Talk about slimy - this is Jeb Bush's son, and...
Trump had particular derision for Bush’s father, Jeb Bush, nicknaming him “Low Energy Jeb” as they jockeyed for the 2016 Republican presidential nomination. In 2015, Trump took aim at George P. Bush’s mother as well: He tweeted that Jeb Bush “has to like the Mexican Illegals because of his wife,” who immigrated from Mexico.
Yet this pos is selling these...

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I bet Jeb told him to do it. Republicans have no shame and Trump cucked the party, so in order to maintain power they need to be the political remora they are.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:26 am I bet Jeb told him to do it. Republicans have no shame and Trump cucked the party, so in order to maintain power they need to be the political remora they are.
Beyond the insanity of putting out a campaign beer cozy that insults your entire family, it's saying Trump only supports you because you like him. Nothing good about you or your qualifications or politics, just that the Narcissist in Chief only likes people who say nice things about him; and that's all it takes for this shocking shallow husk of a man to support a politician is that they said nice things about him. Seriously, that is the fucking leader of the Republican Party today.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

At this point Biden just needs to appeal straight to West Virginia voters with promises of federal money to their state if their representative gets his head out of his ass.

I'm totally cool with making WV great again if it means the rest of the country gets lifted too.

Edit: Manchin won 290k votes to 271k. 24k went to a third candidate. You telling me Biden can't appeal to some of them?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

“Sadly not a single Democrat is supporting the ‘White Guys Can Rape Once Per Year Act’ which is why I, in the spirit of bipartisanship, am throwing my full support behind it.”
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Louie Gohmert fighting hard to take back his crown as the dumbest member of Congress from Ron Johnson and MTG.

-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I know black lives matter is awesome. but they are not The Eternals. Or are they?

Oh, wait. Bureau of Land Management.
Last edited by tennbengal on Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

This seems like a job for SPACE FORCE.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

#NeverForget

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:25 pm #NeverForget

I am speechless. At least Louis Gohmert seemed sober.
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Tom Cotton is trash with his stupid WhIsTlEbLoWeRs.

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Nothing more bipartisan than abandoning your voting base to appease corporate donors.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:32 am Nothing more bipartisan than abandoning your voting base to appease corporate donors.
Manchin's voting base is a bunch of West Virginians who generally vote Republican. He's not abandoning them.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:12 am
mister d wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:32 am Nothing more bipartisan than abandoning your voting base to appease corporate donors.
Manchin's voting base is a bunch of West Virginians who generally vote Republican. He's not abandoning them.
So what changed in the last 2 years there to make him not support a bill he originally co-sponsored?
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Giff wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:48 am
So what changed in the last 2 years there to make him not support a bill he originally co-sponsored?
The bill has a chance to become reality now. And partisanship and partisan rancor has increased on both sides.

To be clear, I think Manchin is an idiot if he really believes that the voting rights bill is any more partisan than the voter suppression efforts it is designed to address, or that any bipartisan reform is possible, or that keeping the filibuster promotes democracy or incentivizes compromise. But he's always been that way, so there's no reason to think there's anything suspicious about his resistance now.

And he's certainly not abandoning his voting base. The problem isn't Manchin so much as its' West Virginia and a dozen states just like it.

With Feinstein or some of the other deadwood, that's not an excuse. But Manchin might possibly score the highest in the entire Senate when it comes to being more liberal than his state.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:56 am Manchin might possibly score the highest in the entire Senate when it comes to being more liberal than his state.
Jon Tester of Montana might be in the running for that honor as well.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:23 am
Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:56 am Manchin might possibly score the highest in the entire Senate when it comes to being more liberal than his state.
Jon Tester of Montana might be in the running for that honor as well.
Good point.

Maybe Sherrod Brown, too? Ohio isn't as conservative as WV or MT, but Brown is farther left.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:56 am
Giff wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:48 am
The bill has a chance to become reality now. And partisanship and partisan rancor has increased on both sides.

To be clear, I think Manchin is an idiot if he really believes that the voting rights bill is any more partisan than the voter suppression efforts it is designed to address, or that any bipartisan reform is possible, or that keeping the filibuster promotes democracy or incentivizes compromise. But he's always been that way, so there's no reason to think there's anything suspicious about his resistance now.

And he's certainly not abandoning his voting base. The problem isn't Manchin so much as its' West Virginia and a dozen states just like it.

With Feinstein or some of the other deadwood, that's not an excuse. But Manchin might possibly score the highest in the entire Senate when it comes to being more liberal than his state.
From the article: "Skeptical members of Manchin's party have questioned the reasons for his opposition, especially after after a recent poll found that a majority of West Virginia voters support changing the filibuster rules and that 79% of the state's voters — including a large majority of Republicans — support the For the People Act."

In the second paragraph. You whiffed on this one, Steve in your rush to paint with a broad brush.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.