Random Politics

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnnie
The Dude

Re: Random Politics

Post by Johnnie »

Was it this one?

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Indeed it was. Chuck was so proud of his rapid response.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Wonder if Jill's aware of those lyrics.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

This really was a shredding:

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Man. Ossoff fucked him up:

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Watch the senator repress a smirk when his challenger mentions the lengthening of his nose in attack ads to drive home the point that he is Jewish. Such a republican...
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

He had the look of a guy who is never confronted with his own shit.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:49 am He had the look of a guy who is never confronted with his own shit.
The uber-wealthy seldom are.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Jon Ossoff is a fucking boss. Holy shit.

He needs to be more widely known.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:07 pm Jon Ossoff is a fucking boss. Holy shit.

I'm really only aware of him because he was in a very contentious runoff election in my sister's congressional district in 2017. That was actually the last time I've seen my sister, and she mentioned at dinner that she was voting because she was sick of all Ossoff's phone calls and ads. I started to lose my shit, but my father lost his more so I sat back and egged him on. She is raising her kids somewhat religious (Judaism), so the nose lengthening probably hit home. I actually texted the debate clips to her this morning and her only response was "can he turn on my power?"
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:41 pm
sancarlos wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:31 pm
A_B wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:57 pm Company that we used for our expense reports sent out a global email to all users about voting for Biden. Apparently we cancelled them today.
Pro Biden or Con Biden?
Unabashedly and amazingly pro Biden.

Eta: amazing in its IDGAF attitude.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I kind of feel companies should steer clear of politics, unless their purpose is around some political cause. Is anyone going to be influenced by an email their expense company sent out? All you are doing is alienating people with different political views.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:41 pm I kind of feel companies should steer clear of politics, unless their purpose is around some political cause. Is anyone going to be influenced by an email their expense company sent out? All you are doing is alienating people with different political views.
The point of the email itself was that democracy itself is on the ballot. (i.e. this election isn't about "normal politics"). Which I think almost all of us here would have to agree with?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:36 pm
Johnnie wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:07 pm Jon Ossoff is a fucking boss. Holy shit.

I'm really only aware of him because he was in a very contentious runoff election in my sister's congressional district in 2017. That was actually the last time I've seen my sister, and she mentioned at dinner that she was voting because she was sick of all Ossoff's phone calls and ads. I started to lose my shit, but my father lost his more so I sat back and egged him on. She is raising her kids somewhat religious (Judaism), so the nose lengthening probably hit home. I actually texted the debate clips to her this morning and her only response was "can he turn on my power?"
Whoa, take that to the euphemism thread!
The Sybian wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:41 pm I kind of feel companies should steer clear of politics, unless their purpose is around some political cause. Is anyone going to be influenced by an email their expense company sent out? All you are doing is alienating people with different political views.
My friend who works for Raytheon said that in an "All Hands" meeting it was brought up that certain sectors are hit hard because of the economy and COVID, but the defense contract sector is largely safe. However, it was also noted that if Biden became president "that could change."

Highly inappropriate, but if you think the wars are going away overnight because a Democrat is president you're a fucking moron.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Companies would very much prefer you think like this while they funnel insane amounts of money to republican politicians.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I think companies have been taking political sides for pretty much ever. It's a lot different than telling your renters you're gong to double their rent if Biden wins.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:12 pm I think companies have been taking political sides for pretty much ever. It's a lot different than telling your renters you're gong to double their rent if Biden wins.
Yeah, I don't think there is anything illegal or unethical about what Expensify did (unlike your hypothetical landlord), I'm just saying I don't see the point. While almost everyone on this board (do we have ANY Trump supporters or neutrals?) agrees with the sentiment, I just personally wouldn't make the same business decision, because I don't think it's effective. Yes, I truly believe our democracy is at stake, but many Trump supporters believe Biden will destroy our country, steal our guns, shred the Constitution and impose Communism. If a Trump supporting CEO sent the identical email, we'd be calling him out, much like we did for Jack Nicklaus' letter. That said, I do see this as very different than the coal CEO who threatened employees they would lose their jobs if Hillary won.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:32 pm
A_B wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:12 pm I think companies have been taking political sides for pretty much ever. It's a lot different than telling your renters you're gong to double their rent if Biden wins.
Yeah, I don't think there is anything illegal or unethical about what Expensify did (unlike your hypothetical landlord), I'm just saying I don't see the point. While almost everyone on this board (do we have ANY Trump supporters or neutrals?) agrees with the sentiment, I just personally wouldn't make the same business decision, because I don't think it's effective. Yes, I truly believe our democracy is at stake, but many Trump supporters believe Biden will destroy our country, steal our guns, shred the Constitution and impose Communism. If a Trump supporting CEO sent the identical email, we'd be calling him out, much like we did for Jack Nicklaus' letter. That said, I do see this as very different than the coal CEO who threatened employees they would lose their jobs if Hillary won.
Oh no, that landlord isn't hypothetical.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:38 pm
Fort Morgan, Colorado. It's a tiny farm town out on the plains in the northeast quadrant of the state. G-d-forsaken place.

Funny thing - one of my best friends, a college roommate, has a daughter who married a dumbass yokel from Fort Morgan. My friend and his wife are Biden supporters and great people. But, both of his kids married into families who are loony toon right wing Qanon nut jobs. Unfortunately, his daughter has now joined the Trump cult, too, which upsets my friend a great deal.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:38 pm
Well that is some bullshit. I guess he could argue it isn't a threat, just letting people know "the dangers" of Biden winning, but that seems like an attempt to influence voting.
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Jesus. Ossoff almost literally murdered him. Perdue ducking the last scheduled debate.

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

As of last night, I am no longer friends with the best man from my wedding, but I can probably do without a Trump-supporting racist cop with a persecution complex in my life, anyway.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Sucks, but you've gotta do what's best for you.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:35 am As of last night, I am no longer friends with the best man from my wedding, but I can probably do without a Trump-supporting racist cop with a persecution complex in my life, anyway.
Sorry bud. People change and that sucks. Props to you for not letting that toxic shit in your life anymore.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Sorry, DSafe. Once I can have a voice again online I'll be Trump shaming whoever I'm friends with on Facebook just so I can disconnect from them.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Yeah, sorry DSafe, but it happens. One of my wife's cousins in St. Louis, a guy I've always really liked, has been papering the Facebook walls lately with shared bullshit from Glenn Beck, Laura Ingraham, and others of that crowd. Sheesh. Unfriended him this morning.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I know it's tough, DSafe. This is going to be pretty harsh... If a person isn't really educated or that intelligent, and they're Trump supporters, I get it. They're easy marks. I don't necessarily hold that against them.

But if a person has it on the ball, or has some level of intellectual sophistication, and they're still Trump supporters? That says to me that their system of values is so warped that I can't possibly be friends with that person.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

So many people have gotten by on "don't let politics affect friendships" for so long that this is a good step forward. Politics of bigotry and sexism and oppression should bleed into personal relationships; if they want that life then let them associate with fellow shitheads and Qanon-ers.

(The problem, to date, is that for the most part people are neutral and forced disassociation also isolates you from the larger group.)
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

For me it was the child separation at the border. I first stated my vehement opposition to it back in the summer of 2017 when it first came out. I would think that anyone with a set of values, no matter where on the aisle of immigration one lies, would say "ok, we shouldn't be doing this with kids". But then on some corners I was accused of "virtue signaling" (which I frankly don't know what it means and care not to look it up) which made me think "what the fuck is wrong with you people?".

Anyone who had a full-throated defense of that policy is a piece of garbage. Fuck 'em. To me, true best friends are like kidneys. You need one. Two is ideal. More than that is superfluous.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I have an old high school friend who is currently a mid-level software engineer for some company in Orlando. They do contract work for the military, and he has the appropriate level of security clearance. He's held that clearance for probably 15 years.

He was on his FB wall earlier this past week complaining about how FB deleted a message he tried to send to two of his friends. The message contained an attachment and in it he described how the media was shielding Biden from this damaging information contained in this article or video or whatever the file was. His friends all joined in on the bitch-fest about how FB is restricting his free speech, and one of them posted a video that may or may not have been a deep fake, purportedly of Hunter Biden doing drugs or engaged in sexual activity.

The hilarious notion that the deletion of suspicious files and the messages they were loaded into on a private company's servers aside, I asked him via instant messenger if he still had an active security clearance, and that if he thought complaining about that in a post on his FB wall would survive a potential audit of his security clearance, and if he would revel in the notion of having to explain himself to his superiors.

After some back and forth about what constitutes a potential suspension or revocation of a security clearance (I told him that social media activity is absolutely fair game in evaluating one's clearance), he barked at me, "you're the same bleeding fucking heart you always were!" But he deleted the post from his wall. So I guess I got through to him? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Noli Timere Messorem
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

L-Jam3 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:48 am I know it's tough, DSafe. This is going to be pretty harsh... If a person isn't really educated or that intelligent, and they're Trump supporters, I get it. They're easy marks. I don't necessarily hold that against them.

But if a person has it on the ball, or has some level of intellectual sophistication, and they're still Trump supporters? That says to me that their system of values is so warped that I can't possibly be friends with that person.
He just went full cop, to be honest. He's a former jock and stubborn guy who has to win every argument, so it's no surprise that he is enjoying the authoritarianism currently going on. I should have known years ago when he first met my mom and step-dad's very friendly former dog and he approached him palm down to assert dominance. I rarely spoke to him, so it wasn't generally an issue, but started to stick in my craw over the last four months as I was trying to help advise his son through the college recruiting process.

The thing that set him off was when I read from an article explaining Obama made the policy allowing for exceptions for certain football players from service academies to postpone their mandatory military enrollment. He had claimed Trump did it (he originally reversed Obama's decision, then flipped again).

After stating he was vehemently against Black Lives Matter, I told him that probably wasn't the greatest idea for his son, who will end up finding himself in a very small minority in the locker room, especially as almost certainly the smallest person. The phone call ended very shortly after that.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Enoch, I flat out stopped posting on Facebook the day after the election 4 years ago and systematically went through deleting everything because Trump supporters (well, replicable at large) are the type of sleezebag lowlifes that will happily parade their political opinions in uniform (despite it being illegal to do so as active military) turning off anyone from interacting with them.

However, if you're even the slightest bit Democrat they will cry bloody murder that you are breaking the rules.

I'm not losing my retirement because I work around hypocrites with a persecution complex and the bed to exact a vendetta.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:33 pm Enoch, I flat out stopped posting on Facebook the day after the election 4 years ago and systematically went through deleting everything because Trump supporters (well, replicable at large) are the type of sleezebag lowlifes that will happily parade their political opinions in uniform (despite it being illegal to do so as active military) turning off anyone from interacting with them.

However, if you're even the slightest bit Democrat they will cry bloody murder that you are breaking the rules.

I'm not losing my retirement because I work around hypocrites with a persecution complex and the bed to exact a vendetta.
That was probably the wisest thing to do, particularly if you saw that type of behavior in people. I hadn't even thought about that - where some guy might weaponize his clearance against him. I was just telling an old friend to wake the fuck up and smell the roses.
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

He just left The Ringer the other day...

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Nice.

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

👀

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Man it's exhausting having a debate with 3 friends in trying to convey that the Electoral College is such bullshit when deciding who the president is.

The defense they wouldn't get off of was "So basically the most populated areas (LA, Chicago, Houston, New York...etc) will determine the president and a place like Wyoming gets reduced considerably."

Me: "What do you think Congress is for? The president is only 1/3 of power. And if there are 230 million voters and only 25% are in those areas, the rest of the country is still going to vote."

"But Wyoming."

An hour plus later and it's like, wtf.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:56 am Man it's exhausting having a debate with 3 friends in trying to convey that the Electoral College is such bullshit when deciding who the president is.

The defense they wouldn't get off of was "So basically the most populated areas (LA, Chicago, Houston, New York...etc) will determine the president and a place like Wyoming gets reduced considerably."

Me: "What do you think Congress is for? The president is only 1/3 of power. And if there are 230 million voters and only 25% are in those areas, the rest of the country is still going to vote."

"But Wyoming."

An hour plus later and it's like, wtf.
Also, the Electoral College already makes Wyoming powerless. No one campaigns there. It’s three EVs are taken as a given for the Rs.

There are millions of conservative Republican voters in California. If the election were by popular vote, their votes would count for the first time in 30 years.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.