Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Pruitt
The Dude

Re: Random Politics

Post by Pruitt »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:23 pm
Pruitt wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:22 pm
brian wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:14 pm Buy the Chapo Trap House book. Just trust me.
I have never heard of that.

Googled it and this is the first thing that came up.

I'm all in!
Ok, your post is the first I've heard of Chapo Trap House. And I was just reading something a minute ago about their podcast.

And I'm like..."Wait, what?"

Just downloaded their latest episode (number 240) and it's a McCainapalooza of hysterical filthy political talk. It's outstanding.

Gunna have to get that book.
Oh man - that is the perfect corrective to today's beatification!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:23 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:20 pm
Johnnie wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:07 am Also, there was this today:
The Racism Watch Dog account better respond with 'WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF!"
It did.
It is getting worse.
WaPo wrote:An assertion by a white gubernatorial candidate that Florida voters can't afford to "monkey this up" by voting for his black opponent was widely viewed as a "dog whistle" to rally racists.

If it were a dog whistle — and GOP candidate Ron DeSantis denies any racial intent against Democrat Andrew Gillum — then a jungle music-scored robo-call that has circulated in Florida is more akin to a bullhorn.

If nothing else, the minute-long audio clip is a clear sign of how quickly racism — subtle in some cases, overt in others — has entered the contest to determine who will lead Florida.

"Well, hello there,” the call begins as the sounds of drums and monkeys can be heard in the background, according to the New York Times. “I is Andrew Gillum."

"We Negroes . . . done made mud huts while white folk waste a bunch of time making their home out of wood an' stone."

The speaker goes on to say he'll pass a law letting African Americans evade arrest “if the Negro know fo' sho' he didn't do nothin'." ...
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:57 am
A_B wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:23 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:20 pm
Johnnie wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:07 am Also, there was this today:
The Racism Watch Dog account better respond with 'WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF!"
It did.
It is getting worse.
WaPo wrote:An assertion by a white gubernatorial candidate that Florida voters can't afford to "monkey this up" by voting for his black opponent was widely viewed as a "dog whistle" to rally racists.

If it were a dog whistle — and GOP candidate Ron DeSantis denies any racial intent against Democrat Andrew Gillum — then a jungle music-scored robo-call that has circulated in Florida is more akin to a bullhorn.

If nothing else, the minute-long audio clip is a clear sign of how quickly racism — subtle in some cases, overt in others — has entered the contest to determine who will lead Florida.

"Well, hello there,” the call begins as the sounds of drums and monkeys can be heard in the background, according to the New York Times. “I is Andrew Gillum."

"We Negroes . . . done made mud huts while white folk waste a bunch of time making their home out of wood an' stone."

The speaker goes on to say he'll pass a law letting African Americans evade arrest “if the Negro know fo' sho' he didn't do nothin'." ...
I unfriended a couple of guys (friends of a friend who went to school in Florida) who thought that the calls of racism at the first monkey comment were way out of line.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:23 pmFrankly, I'm surprised they didn't share this everywhere because OMG LANGUAGE!

Damn, I'm good. (You have to open the tweet fully to see the video for whatever reason.)

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:45 am
Johnnie wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:23 pmFrankly, I'm surprised they didn't share this everywhere because OMG LANGUAGE!

Damn, I'm good. (You have to open the tweet fully to see the video for whatever reason.)

Oh, shit. I was reading through some of the responses to Ted Cruz' tweets, and saw a familiar name. A law school classmate who is a State Rep in Texas representing a Dallas County district. Member of the Texas Freedom Caucus, he is a huge Cruz fanboy and his website and Twitter is filled with the worst of the extreme Right Wing talking points. I didn't really know the guy, but the few times I was around him, he made me really uncomfortable, and I had no idea why. He just gave off a creepy vibe. He looked really normal, good looking well dressed guy who seemed like he should have been popular, and he seemed normal when I talked to him, but nobody liked him and I never knew what was off about him. Seeing him trying to link himself with Cruz, I think he had a similar trying to pass as human MO as Cruz.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

And literal moments into the Kavanaugh hearing it's off the rails.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:35 am
Johnnie wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:45 am

Oh, shit. I was reading through some of the responses to Ted Cruz' tweets, and saw a familiar name. A law school classmate who is a State Rep in Texas representing a Dallas County district. Member of the Texas Freedom Caucus, he is a huge Cruz fanboy and his website and Twitter is filled with the worst of the extreme Right Wing talking points. I didn't really know the guy, but the few times I was around him, he made me really uncomfortable, and I had no idea why. He just gave off a creepy vibe. He looked really normal, good looking well dressed guy who seemed like he should have been popular, and he seemed normal when I talked to him, but nobody liked him and I never knew what was off about him. Seeing him trying to link himself with Cruz, I think he had a similar trying to pass as human MO as Cruz.

Guy I went through junior high and high school with was at one point the government house leader up here. One of the most powerful guys under Stephen harper, often the face of the government, known as an enforcer type.

You will not be surprised to learn that he was a complete loser and asshole in high school. Almost universally loathed.

The traditional political personality.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Sheldon Whitehouse laid the smackdown to Kavanaugh.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4746953/ ... rt-hearing
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Capuano is pretty progressive for a long-time incumbent. But his getting smoked in that district, where he has very deep roots and had been a shoo-in forever, is a pretty clear sign that Democratic voters are desperate for new blood and younger leadership.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yup. I have to assume that's one of the most progressive districts in the entire country so even Capuano staying on as a "pretty progressive" lifer wouldn't allow for any real party demographic shift. Its a good sign even though we'll hear later (from party allies and professional centrists) it actually a bad sign.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Alex Jones Ambushed Marco Rubio!!

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

It's legitimately scary to think these guys like Bannon and Alex Jones don't like Marco Rubio because he's not enough of a fascist Nazi, which really Rubio's pretty all-in on the worst parts of the GOP platform.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Roy Moore Suing Sacha Cohen and CBS

Does he really want this to go to trial?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:21 pm Roy Moore Suing Sacha Cohen and CBS

Does he really want this to go to trial?
Does Cohen have a made up lawyer character that will continue the charade? I'd love to see that happen.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Kamala Harris is such a bad ass.

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:56 am Kamala Harris is such a bad ass.

I don't know about this clip. I'm assuming she has some major ammo behind this question, and I'm thinking she knows Kavanaugh spoke with Marc Kasowitz, but then why not come out and say it? It comes across like she is badgering Kavanaugh and not directly asking what she wants to ask. If I was Kavanaugh, I'd be afraid of saying I never spoke with an attorney at one specific firm, then find out some guy I spoke with happens to work at that firm. Maybe Kavanaugh knows exactly what she was getting at and played dumb, but I felt like Harris asked a vague question looking to trap Kavanaugh on a technicality and accuse him of lying. Again, if she knew he spoke with someone at the firm, why not ask directly? I also think the screaming women in the back hurt the cause. Yes, it's a fucking sham that they are pushing Kavanaugh through without releasing his documents, but the screaming makes the protestors look like petulant children. I don't know what else people can do when Republicans hold all the power, but I think that plays into their hands and makes the well reasoned arguments get lumped in with screaming lunatics.
-Pruitt
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Also, Kasowitz’s firm is rather large which might explain Kavanaugh’s caution about giving a definitive answer. That’s why questions about large law firms sometimes come off as cheap “gotchas.” If a firm has hundreds or even thousands of attorneys, a conversation or connection with any one of those attorneys is hardly remarkable. Hell, Joe Lieberman now works for Kasowitz’s firm. But that doesn’t be mean anyone who spoke to Lieberman about Russia, Trump or Mueller should be under suspicion.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Judge looks too much like Jason Bateman from certain angles.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Joe K wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:34 pm Also, Kasowitz’s firm is rather large which might explain Kavanaugh’s caution about giving a definitive answer. That’s why questions about large law firms sometimes come off as cheap “gotchas.” If a firm has hundreds or even thousands of attorneys, a conversation or connection with any one of those attorneys is hardly remarkable. Hell, Joe Lieberman now works for Kasowitz’s firm. But that doesn’t be mean anyone who spoke to Lieberman about Russia, Trump or Mueller should be under suspicion.
Right. But if you just figured out a way to answer, shouldn’t he have been able to come up with some way to respond?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:28 pm
Joe K wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:34 pm Also, Kasowitz’s firm is rather large which might explain Kavanaugh’s caution about giving a definitive answer. That’s why questions about large law firms sometimes come off as cheap “gotchas.” If a firm has hundreds or even thousands of attorneys, a conversation or connection with any one of those attorneys is hardly remarkable. Hell, Joe Lieberman now works for Kasowitz’s firm. But that doesn’t be mean anyone who spoke to Lieberman about Russia, Trump or Mueller should be under suspicion.
Right. But if you just figured out a way to answer, shouldn’t he have been able to come up with some way to respond?
I think he did. He said he didn't think so, but without a list of names of who works for that firm, he didn't want to go on the record of saying he didn't speak to anyone who worked at the firm.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Maybe, but he sure didn’t seem confident inhis own answer. What the duck is happening here? Ain’t I the conservative? You lawyers are a weird bunch!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Not that hard to say a name unless you're hiding something.

He reacted in the most "oh fuck" manner I've seen an adult react to.

Given his history, he knows that Harris knows because Harris, seasoned lawyer she is, isn't going to ask a question she doesn't know the answer to.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:04 pm Maybe, but he sure didn’t seem confident inhis own answer. What the duck is happening here? Ain’t I the conservative? You lawyers are a weird bunch!
I'm trying to look at this from an unbiased perspective, and you know I am heavily biased against Kavanaugh. It's possible Kavanaugh knew exactly what Harris was getting at and was playing coy, but it's also possible Kavanaugh doesn't know what she is referring to, and he is afraid to say he never spoke with a lawyer from a specific firm, then have Harris spring on him that he spoke with some random guy who happens to be an attorney in Kasowitz' firm. They have maybe 300 lawyers and over 1000 employees in maybe 8 or 10 cities. It's very possible Kavanaugh had a conversation with a Kasowitz attorney without knowing the guy worked there. Like I said, if asked in a hearing if I spoke with an attorney from a specific law firm, I'd be afraid to say no even if I was sure I didn't. In the legal profession, it's impossible to know if you spoke to someone from a specific firm at some point, and that could have been a very cheap trap to make it seem like an intentional lie. This shit happens all the time, like when Trump hired Morgan Lewis, and the media went nuts that they won "Russian Law Firm of the Year." They are a huge international firm with over 2000 lawyers in 30 cities, and happen to have a Moscow office, like many major international law firms. The same shit happened with Khan, the Gold Star father, where they connected him to the Clintons and foreign governments because a firm he worked at 10 years prior now represented Hillary. I think it was Hogan and Hartson, which is one of the biggest law firms for government related issues.

I had the sense Harris was going to say Kavanaugh met with Marc Kasowitz, who personally represented Trump, and say, "you don't need a law firm directory to know what firm Marc Kasowitz works at." If that's what she had, why not name the attorney she had in mind? Now she created a great clip of her acting cunty towards Kavanaugh for apparently no reason, and it looks like partisan hackery. If she is planning on revealing this later in the hearing, the message will be totally lost, because most people who saw the first clip won't see the follow up, because most people are already bored of Kavanaugh and moved on to the NYTimes Op-Ed. People will remember her seemingly pointless attacks, but if there is something to it, that will be lost.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Semi-related -- can you imagine the reaction from the alt-right if this country somehow elects a BLACK WOMAN as the next president? They'll seriously just fucking riot and try to literally burn this country down.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:26 pm Judge looks too much like Jason Bateman from certain angles.
I think this guy nailed it actually.

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

brian wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:56 pm Semi-related -- can you imagine the reaction from the alt-right if this country somehow elects a BLACK WOMAN as the next president? They'll seriously just fucking riot and try to literally burn this country down.
Who's from Oakland and daughter of immigrant parents.

I'd like to see it.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

He looks like every dad that’s ever walked into a PGA SuperStore.

But really, he looks like John Edwards, before the fall.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This is interesting to me. If Susan Collins votes to confirm Kavanaugh, then there's going to be a serious chunk of money thrown at a Democratic challenger in 2020.

https://www.crowdpac.com/campaigns/3874 ... e-opponent

Up to $889k presently.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I wish it were "if he gets confirmed" rather than just her vote.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

NH’s newest House member is going to either be a black Republican or a gay Democrat. Only electing women to Congress is apparently played out. #postwoke
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

So how do you guys feel about this Kavanaugh accusation from when he was in high school? While I really doubt this woman is making it up, a 35-year-old accustion, seemingly made for the first time, and with no evidence ... just doesn't seem like much to go on.
Totally Kafkaesque
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I think it's fishy, but having said that, I feel that anything I say could be construed as being "victim shaming."

The fishiness comes from how Feinstein and others handled the accusation. Using it as a dramatic 11th hour attempt to torpedo Kavanaugh.

According to the New Yorker, she got the information in July, but only referred it to the FBI this past week?

So this woman who is making the accusation has repressed trauma and makes the courageous step of trying to speak out in a non-sensational Gloria Allred way and her accusation is sat on until it can be thrown on the table at the most dramatic possible moment? Shame.

I hate most Republican politicians with all the spite in my heart. But this move by Feinstein is reprehensible...
Sources who worked for other members of the Judiciary Committee said that they respected the need to protect the woman’s privacy, but that they didn’t understand why Feinstein had resisted answering legitimate questions about the allegation. “We couldn’t understand what their rationale is for not briefing members on this. This is all very weird,” one of the congressional sources said. Another added, “She’s had the letter since late July. And we all just found out about it.”
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Yeah, and the "quickly assembled" list of character-witness women from high school somehow got put together so quickly.

Both sides are covering themselves in the standard amount of glory on this one.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Shirley wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:30 pm So how do you guys feel about this Kavanaugh accusation from when he was in high school? While I really doubt this woman is making it up, a 35-year-old accustion, seemingly made for the first time, and with no evidence ... just doesn't seem like much to go on.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

With the way Republicans have played, I truthfully don't give a fuck.

After Franken, I'm glad the other side is finally doing objectively shady shit. The only thing I'm judging is the style points of it. This could've been smoother.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Shirley wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:30 pm So how do you guys feel about this Kavanaugh accusation from when he was in high school? While I really doubt this woman is making it up, a 35-year-old accustion, seemingly made for the first time, and with no evidence ... just doesn't seem like much to go on.
She's been talking to her therapist about it for years now...

California professor, writer of confidential Brett Kavanaugh letter, speaks out about her allegation of sexual assault
Speaking publicly for the first time, Ford said that one summer in the early 1980s, Kavanaugh and a friend — both “stumbling drunk,” Ford alleges — corralled her into a bedroom during a gathering of teenagers at a house in Montgomery County.

While his friend watched, she said, Kavanaugh pinned her to a bed on her back and groped her over her clothes, grinding his body against hers and clumsily attempting to pull off her one-piece bathing suit and the clothing she wore over it. When she tried to scream, she said, he put his hand over her mouth.

“I thought he might inadvertently kill me,” said Ford, now a 51-year-old research psychologist in northern California. “He was trying to attack me and remove my clothing.”
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Stay classy, Rafael.