Random Politics

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Re: Random Politics

Post by HaulCitgo »

Interesting. Someone has to own a factory to break down that kind of weight. Need some machinery to deal with it.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

This is gonna hurt someone a little, make no mistake about it. (And it's weird the sheer amount that were in this one shipment -- generally speaking they try to spread the shipments across multiple methods of delivery to ensure as much makes it through as possible), but generally the cartels expect to lose about 10 to 20 percent of the product before it makes it to the States. For example, by some estimates about 5 to 10 percent of all truck traffic over the US/Mexico border contains drugs.

The buried/untold story about this particular seizure is why the cartels felt so comfortable making such a large shipment. Makes me think there's more to the story not being reported like perhaps some kind of smuggling operation involving Customs was also uncovered (and not reported to potentially save lives).

So as far as that goes maybe there are some Philly-area residents in danger of being whacked.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Was this part of your move to South America research?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

EdRomero wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:03 pm Was this part of your move to South America research?
Drug cartels are a particular point of interest, mostly Mexico, but I've dabbled in reading some about South America.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:44 pm

The buried/untold story about this particular seizure is why the cartels felt so comfortable making such a large shipment. Makes me think there's more to the story not being reported like perhaps some kind of smuggling operation involving Customs was also uncovered (and not reported to potentially save lives).

This was my first thought. No way they were sending that much product at one time unless they were damned sure the container wasn't getting checked. They either have someone at CBP on the payroll, and even then, I don't know how one person could orchestrate a specific container not being checked, and I can't imagine you could pay off an entire team without someone turning them in. My other thought was they shipped through a company with CTPAT status (shipping companies can get certified as trustworthy and get their containers through faster), or from a foreign port where containers are inspected prior to shipping, then tagged with electronic equipment that notifies Customs if the seal is broken. But even then, it's inspected by US CBP inspectors. I'm bummed, because my last source for inside info recently left the Agency, so I won't get any inside scoop.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:57 pm

...They either have someone at CBP on the payroll, and even then, I don't know how one person could orchestrate a specific container not being checked, and I can't imagine you could pay off an entire team without someone turning them in...
I’d question the Phanatic.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:03 pm

...They either have someone at CBP on the payroll, and even then, I don't know how one person could orchestrate a specific container not being checked, and I can't imagine you could pay off an entire team without someone turning them in...
Gritty, dude.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:50 pm

Gritty, dude.
You’ll never catch Gritty. Because he’s fucking innocent.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Excellent trolling by Jerry Nadler when he kept calling Hope Hicks "Ms. Lewandowski" repeatedly.

She got mad, but womp womp. Whatever.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

A_B wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:52 pm

Gritty, dude.
Sounds like they're out to get him.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Gritty, dude.
Nice Bottle Rocket reference. Well done. 10 Swamp points.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Why is something called a Marianne Williamson even running for president in the first place?

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

brian wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:58 pm

Gritty, dude.
Nice Bottle Rocket reference. Well done. 10 Swamp points.
Which is a GnR reference.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Whadda know? Learn something new every day.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Threats from militia provoke shutdown at Oregon capitol, a day after GOP lawmakers fled

This is completely fucked up.
Sen. Brian Boquist, one of the Republicans currently on the lam, sent a warning to state police Wednesday.

“Send bachelors and come heavily armed,” Boquist said. “I’m not going to be a political prisoner in the state of Oregon. It’s just that simple.”
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Prosecutors Say Rep. Hunter Used Campaign Donations To Cheat On His Wife
Justice Department prosecutors alleged on Monday that Rep. Duncan Hunter (R-CA) used campaign contributions to have multiple extramarital affairs, including a $1,000 ski vacation with a female lobbyist.

According to the court filing, Hunter started using the campaign funds to “carry out a series of intimate relationships” with five women soon after he first entered office in 2009.

The first woman (“Individual 14”) was a lobbyist. For about three years, Hunter dipped into his campaign contributions to pay for a couple’s ski getaway (which cost more than $1,000), a road trip to Virginia Beach, and hotel stays, according to prosecutors.

After their relationship ended in 2012, the GOP lawmaker allegedly carried out affairs with four other women until at least 2016–at his donors’ expense.

Hunter’s donors unwittingly paid for his dinner dates, vacations, and Uber rides with the women, according to the DOJ. In several instances, the filing said, the Uber rides were from the woman’s residence after they engaged in “intimate personal activities.”

Hunter and his wife Margaret were co-indicted in August 2018 for misusing $250,000 in campaign funds and covering up the alleged fraud. They both pleaded not guilty, and the congressman tried to point the blame at his wife during a Fox News interview.

A little less than a year later, Margaret Hunter switched her plea to guilty and agreed to cooperate with prosecutors.
Hmm...just can't imagine what might have convinced her to flip on her husband....
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:04 pm Prosecutors Say Rep. Hunter Used Campaign Donations To Cheat On His Wife
Justice Department prosecutors alleged on Monday that Rep. Duncan Hunter (R-CA) used campaign contributions to have multiple extramarital affairs, including a $1,000 ski vacation with a female lobbyist.

According to the court filing, Hunter started using the campaign funds to “carry out a series of intimate relationships” with five women soon after he first entered office in 2009.

The first woman (“Individual 14”) was a lobbyist. For about three years, Hunter dipped into his campaign contributions to pay for a couple’s ski getaway (which cost more than $1,000), a road trip to Virginia Beach, and hotel stays, according to prosecutors.

After their relationship ended in 2012, the GOP lawmaker allegedly carried out affairs with four other women until at least 2016–at his donors’ expense.

Hunter’s donors unwittingly paid for his dinner dates, vacations, and Uber rides with the women, according to the DOJ. In several instances, the filing said, the Uber rides were from the woman’s residence after they engaged in “intimate personal activities.”

Hunter and his wife Margaret were co-indicted in August 2018 for misusing $250,000 in campaign funds and covering up the alleged fraud. They both pleaded not guilty, and the congressman tried to point the blame at his wife during a Fox News interview.

A little less than a year later, Margaret Hunter switched her plea to guilty and agreed to cooperate with prosecutors.
Hmm...just can't imagine what might have convinced her to flip on her husband....
Fucking crazy story... I wonder if there is any remedy for his donors to get their money back.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:56 pm Let’s Check In on Those Oregon Republicans Who Fled the Capital, Shall We?

State senators in Oregon are fucking nuts.
They aren't the only ones.

Honest to God, what the fuck kind of nonsense?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

And in a 5-4 SCOTUS ruling, gerrymandering is A-OK!
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:55 am And in a 5-4 SCOTUS ruling, gerrymandering is A-OK!
Yet another example why ...

... is wrong when comparing today's Republicans with today's centrist Democrats.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

We're talking about the same centrist Dems who were in power through Garland and Kavanaugh? Its not simply "they vote too corporate at times", its that the cede all power and oversight to the same end.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I used the Spiderman meme for Biden & Trump, but Democrats didn't seem to fight tooth and nail to get a Supreme Court seat filled when Scalia died. So as long as the ruling wealthy class is in power, who cares, right?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:36 pm I used the Spiderman meme for Biden & Trump, but Democrats didn't seem to fight tooth and nail to get a Supreme Court seat filled when Scalia died. So as long as the ruling wealthy class is in power, who cares, right?
Were they supposed to literally kill Republican senators? Enlighten us as to what you would have done.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Literally kill? No. But even if Clinton won, they were going to hold that seat open through her term according to McCain.

So literally do something other than sit on their thumbs? Sure. If it came to violence, honestly, so fucking be it.

The GOP is actively subverting the Constitution, but whatever.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:22 pm We're talking about the same centrist Dems who were in power through Garland and Kavanaugh?
We're talking about the centrist Dems who were in the minority through Garland and Gorsuch and Kavanaugh, yes. The ones who filibustered Gorsuch and with one or maybe two exceptions unanimously voted against both Gorsuch and Kavanaugh.

If Bernie Sanders had a way to make 48 be a bigger number than 52, then he definitely should've won the nomination in 2016.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:42 pmBut even if Clinton won, they were going to hold that seat open through her term according to McCain.
Yeah, you did have a couple of Republican senators idly speculate a couple of times about keeping the seat open, but there's no way they would've actually refused to allow the seat to be filled for four more years. (And even if they had, there would be a 4-4 split that would have affirmed favorable appellate court rulings.)

But that's not really the point. The fact is that if you really are claiming that there's no real difference between having Trump appointing federal judges and Clinton or Biden appointing federal judges, then (a) you're a fucking moron, and (b) I hope that at least you appreciate the privilege you have to not really have to care about the millions of people who do suffer because of the differences.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

As if Joe Biden is actually going to get to appoint judges.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:27 pm As if Joe Biden is actually going to get to appoint judges.
Well, if he's President, he'll appoint judges. Even if the Dems don't get a majority in the Senate. There's no way the entire Republican senate will just refuse to allow judges for an entire term.

(They might not be liberal firebrands, but they will be a hell of a lot better than what the Republicans are doing.)

And if the Dems don't get a majority in the Senate, then any stuff about Bernie or Warren or whoever won't matter very much. Though I think Warren and Harris would both be excellent at overseeing the federal bureaucracy.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:07 pmYeah, you did have a couple of Republican senators idly speculate a couple of times about keeping the seat open, but there's no way they would've actually refused to allow the seat to be filled for four more years.
You've seen what's happened the last 2.5 years and don't believe McConnell would have obstructed all the way through to prevent a left-leaning justice?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:33 pmThere's no way the entire Republican senate will just refuse to allow judges for an entire term.
Bookmarking
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:35 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:07 pmYeah, you did have a couple of Republican senators idly speculate a couple of times about keeping the seat open, but there's no way they would've actually refused to allow the seat to be filled for four more years.
You've seen what's happened the last 2.5 years and don't believe McConnell would have obstructed all the way through to prevent a left-leaning justice?
I'm saying that at some point, two of the 52 Republican senators would have bailed on him and voted for someone like Merrick Garland. But even if they didn't, affirming favorable decisions by a 4-4 tie (assuming Kennedy stayed on the bench) would be vastly better than reversing those decisions by a 5-4 margin.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I thought this was coming, but Tommy Tuberville is running against Doug Jones in Alabama.

Edit: Excuse me..in the Republican primary.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

A_B wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:45 pm I thought this was coming, but Tommy Tuberville is running against Doug Jones in Alabama.

Edit: Excuse me..in the Republican primary.
Tommy Tubs vs. Roy Moore. Get excited.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:33 pm There's no way the entire Republican senate will just refuse to allow judges for an entire term.
Wanna bet? Never underestimate the evilness of Mitch McConnell.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

It's not the evilness of McConnell, it's the political reality that enough senators trying to save their asses in Purple or turning Purple states would bail on McConnell if they tried something as preposterous as simply refusing to appoint judges for 4 years. He was able to get away with Garland because there was a slim connection to a valid point about an upcoming election. (don't argue with me, don't be that stupid about what I just wrote.)

There's literally no justification that would sit well with the vast majority of Americans (not the 30 percent Fox News watching mouth breathers) over that kind of bullshit.

Sometimes you guys really lean too far into the sky is falling stuff, man.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

It would take 4 Republican senators to oust McConnell right now and throw him from his fucking leadership position.

The entire Republican party has circled the wagons and decided that they will hold the power until they are removed from office -- and only violently.

Save all of your bullshit.

Trump is the patsy of the GOP. McConnell is the most evil mother fucker on the planet and he's got the most perfect smokescreen ever creating scandal after scandal shielding him. He gets to be the shadow president.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:41 pm Trump is the patsy of the GOP. McConnell is the most evil mother fucker on the planet and he's got the most perfect smokescreen ever creating scandal after scandal shielding him. He gets to be the shadow president.
This is pretty much where we are.
Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:10 pm It's not the evilness of McConnell...
Yes, yes it is.
Noli Timere Messorem