Random Politics

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnnie
The Dude

Re: Random Politics

Post by Johnnie »

Latest and greatest anti-Constitution thought by this fuck:

This is why McConnell has all the fucking power.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:10 pmIt's not the evilness of McConnell, it's the political reality that enough senators trying to save their asses in Purple or turning Purple states would bail on McConnell if they tried something as preposterous as simply refusing to appoint judges for 4 years.
I don't understand how many unprecedented and indecent things have to happen before precedent and decency are no longer presented as near-future salves. We're past anything resembling bipartisan cooperation* and probably, as Johnnie alluded to, peaceful transitions of power.

* And self-preservation is synonymous with falling in line.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Switching gears, if you want to watch an hour long takedown of Ben Shapiro:

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:10 pm There's literally no justification that would sit well with the vast majority of Americans (not the 30 percent Fox News watching mouth breathers) over that kind of bullshit.
Again...wanna bet?

Republican Senators were fully ready to wait 4 more years to appoint a Scalia successor if Hillary had won. McConnell was already slow-walking Obama's appointments to create as many openings for the next GOP President as possible.

And look at what they are doing in the states...Oh, we lost a governor's race? Fine, we'll strip the governors office of power before things turn over.

Or look at Oregon, where Republicans ran away and hid rather then let a climate change bill come to a vote.
Sometimes you guys really lean too far into the sky is falling stuff, man.
I'm more of the 'not leaning too far' camp...
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

The House opened an ethics investigation against Matt Gaetz for his February 26th Tweet of: “Hey @MichaelCohen212 – Do your wife & father-in-law know about your girlfriends? Maybe tonight would be a good time for that chat. I wonder if she’ll remain faithful when you’re in prison. She’s about to learn a lot…”

Why the fuck does it take 4 months to investigate a public post that was all over the news and clearly threatening a witness before he testified in Congress? It should have taken a matter of hours, not months.

Gaetz' response, he called this part of a “coordinated effort to go after people like me, people like Kellyanne Conway, who are effective advocates for a transformational president.”

In what fucking world is it the job of a Congressman to act as an advocate for the President?!?!? You are supposed to be a check on Presidential power, you fuck bootlicking POS!
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

It's disgusting. The corruption in plain sight reality we live in is complete bullshit.

Luckily for those doing this, we're fed well and completely petrified of losing our jobs because a huge segment of America is a paycheck from financial ruin.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

With one tweet, AOC went at Ivanka, Sarah Sanders, and Meghan McCain. She's the fucking best.

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Roughly half the border patrol agents in the country are in a "secret" Facebook group where they post mysogynistic, racist and offensive content and celebrate migrant deaths. In addition to threatening violence against Latina lawmakers including AOC (of course).
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The Marines had a Facebook group with a bunch of disgusting people like that.

I'm not sure of the fallout, but I know the DoD stepped up and re-energized sexual apathy awareness training across the services and put out there that those associated would be in severe terrible.

So this doesn't shock me in the least.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

ICE is the worst of the worst, already.
Noli Timere Messorem
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:05 pm With one tweet, AOC went at Ivanka, Sarah Sanders, and Meghan McCain. She's the fucking best.

Absolutely love this image in the comments:

-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:05 pm With one tweet, AOC went at Ivanka, Sarah Sanders, and Meghan McCain. She's the fucking best.

Ivanka playing Diplomacy Barbie has unleashed some awesome photoshops...

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Oooooh. Nice. I saw the one pic in the other thread posted by Pruitt. Also good.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I had to double-check to make sure this wasn't from The Onion. Fascinating article.

In an astonishing turn, George Soros and Charles Koch team up to end US ‘forever war’ policy
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:36 pm I had to double-check to make sure this wasn't from The Onion. Fascinating article.

In an astonishing turn, George Soros and Charles Koch team up to end US ‘forever war’ policy
Guaranteed that a lot of Koch's vassals are wondering if they should keep playing the Soros/Jew Banker conspiracy card.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

Pruitt wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:23 am Uh Oh!

Merde hitting the fan in Spain.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Baloney wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:55 am
Pruitt wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:23 am Uh Oh!

Merde hitting the fan in Spain.
Look at that t-shirt on the MEP.

What a shit show that legislative body must be.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Justin Amash leaving GOP.

Quixotic as fuck, but history will probably treat him kindly for being one of the lone voices of reason in the GOP.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Justin Amash left the GOP.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I'll put it here too so Rush won't come in and fuck everything up...Amy McGrath to challenge McConnell.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Fuck, that's good. She got my vote.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Throw her a few bucks. Makes the soul feel good. Skip your $5 starbucks or something.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:10 am Throw her a few bucks. Makes the soul feel good. Skip your $5 starbucks or something.
I'll donate some money like I did for Beto, but running against McConnell she's not going to have any issues raising money. Kentucky is going to be wall-to-wall political ads from June through November next year.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:14 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:10 am Throw her a few bucks. Makes the soul feel good. Skip your $5 starbucks or something.
I'll donate some money like I did for Beto, but running against McConnell she's not going to have any issues raising money. Kentucky is going to be wall-to-wall political ads from June through November next year.
She may get money, but can she get votes? Do people in Kentucky actually like McConnell?
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The Governor's race this fall will give some hint, but Bevin has his own issues that go across party lines more.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I'd put McGrath's odds at about 7-to-1. Not likely, but not impossible. Trump is not insanely popular in KY like he is in some southern states. McConnell has his own negatives and the GOP governor there (like AB said) has his own issues. It's always gonna be an uphill slog for a Dem in Kentucky, but if there was ever a chance to defeat a sitting Senate Majority Leader in a red/southern state this is probably it.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

There's also a lot of national strategy that goes into this. When you fuck with a guy like McConnell enough, it takes him off the phones raising national money or for tough races the GOP is worried about in purple states. Beto didn't win in TX, but he helped pull a TON more resources than the RNC wanted to burn. That has a ripple effect. For years, the Dems were under this same pressure, and it produced the massive swing in statewide elections that we just clawed back from 2018.

Give a few bucks here and there. The momentum in these high profile cases has a multiplying effect. That's why I kept giving to Beto and a few other races (Georgia and Doug Jones, specifically).
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

You have got to be kidding me. Pelosi’s fear of ever going after Republicans is astounding.

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Doesn't impeaching Acosta let Trump off the hook for appointing him in the first place? They can spin it as the "Dems continuing to go after Trump and his people" but if they leave him in the position, the public pressure for Trump to fire him or force his resignation as the Epstein thing heats up (hopefully) will come down fully on Trump.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I'm just resigned to the fact that the only way Trump or any of his cabinet get forced out is with him losing in 2020.

Establishment Democrats care more about harming the progressives within their party than harming Republicans in any way, shape, or form because of political calculus.

They would rather deal with the current administration than any administration where the party shifts left. Status Quo benefits establishment Democrats.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

brian wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:11 pm Doesn't impeaching Acosta let Trump off the hook for appointing him in the first place? They can spin it as the "Dems continuing to go after Trump and his people" but if they leave him in the position, the public pressure for Trump to fire him or force his resignation as the Epstein thing heats up (hopefully) will come down fully on Trump.
I don’t see how “we’re going to ask nicely but do nothing” is a more favorable political stance for he Democratic Party than the House majority using its Constitutionally granted impeachment power to hold Acosta accountable.

Also, this is a pretty significant bit of reporting that came out today:

I’ve seen rumors for a while that Acosta gave Epstein a pass because Epstein was an agent collecting blackmail material for one or more intelligence agencies. But this is the first time I’ve seen it reported this directly.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

If that's true I hope Epstein sings like a canary.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Joe K wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:51 pm You have got to be kidding me. Pelosi’s fear of ever going after Republicans is astounding.

If I never hear Pelosi's name again it will be too soon. She's as much a part of the problem as established Repubs.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

There's a lot of conspiracy theories out there about Epstein.

He's essentially a honey pot blackmail operation for someone else, and always has been, etc.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

brian wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:46 am I'd put McGrath's odds at about 7-to-1. Not likely, but not impossible. Trump is not insanely popular in KY like he is in some southern states. McConnell has his own negatives and the GOP governor there (like AB said) has his own issues. It's always gonna be an uphill slog for a Dem in Kentucky, but if there was ever a chance to defeat a sitting Senate Majority Leader in a red/southern state this is probably it.
FWIW, Nate Silver agrees with me.

L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Just a general thought that's been rattling around in my head recently. Politicians stereotypically seem to have some pretty negative qualities such as deceit, cowardice (Pelosi), grifting and corruption, and being totally out of touch with their constituents. It seems like this has been the stereotype completely throughout history (although it seems like the Founding Fathers get a pass somehow). Is it that the job of a politicians brings out these in them, or are people with these traits just naturally drawn to politics?

I've been thinking this because I have had a longer-term inclination to enter the political arena, even just locally, once I get a few ducks in my life in a row. I'm not going to suggest I'm a perfect person by any means; I'm human and have skeletons just like anyone else, but I try doing the right thing. I can accept that it'd be a long shot as I'm not particularly charismatic in such a way to garner moneyed donors. I'm also a fairly private person, and I don't tend to open up the true me to all but a very select few. I just feel like fighting like hell for people is something that brings me real joy. That's one of the few things about being a lawyer I genuinely like. I don't know man, like I said just some marbles rolling around in my melon.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.