Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

rass
The Dude

Re: Random Politics

Post by rass »

rass wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:40 am
tennbengal wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:11 am
Johnnie wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:08 am That seems premature.
Does it? He's up and the absentees that are out are from the county that favors him.
I'll admit I hadn't at all paid attention to *where* the district in question is located in PA. My maternal grandparents were from Elizabeth, and my mom grew up in Mount Oliver. My ancestral homelands!
And I think I was looking at a future (court mandated) map, not current. Great grandfather did work at coal and steel mills in Cannonsburg, though.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

This was a no-lose situation.. Well, if Lamb had been slaughtered (sorry), it would've been bad. But when I looked at the results at 10p and it was pretty much a dead heat, I slept well. Either way, this is a district Dems hadn't realistically challenged for well over a decade.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

This will be hilarious if true because Trump will have to clumsily distance himself from it and will in turn make it much more noticeable.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:22 am This was a no-lose situation.. Well, if Lamb had been slaughtered (sorry), it would've been bad. But when I looked at the results at 10p and it was pretty much a dead heat, I slept well. Either way, this is a district Dems hadn't realistically challenged for well over a decade.
I agree. This is a tie. The Dem wins the seat (probably), and that's good for some laughs, but the big point is that even after the cut cut cut tax cut bill, the Republicans are still a dozen points behind normal. I read something yesterday saying that this district was considered R+11, and there are 140 congressional districts that are less Republican than this one. So if things hold in November, the blue wave could be a reality.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Optics matter. Winning the seat beats narrowly losing the seat - even if the latter still would portend bad things for the Repubs in 2018. If Lamb has indeed won, kills spin and talking points on the right.
Last edited by tennbengal on Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Just a few factoids that line up for a Blue Wave in November:

* - Trump won this district by 20 points.

* - This has been a conservative, locked down district since 2003 (15 years)

* - Cook had this as a +R11 district. To put that into context, I just popped over there, and counted over 50 "Solid Republicans" that are +R11 or lower. And, obviously, I'm not getting into the Toss Up, Lean Republican and Likely Republican districts which are typically much closer to even.

=-=-=-=-=

You will see all sorts of excuses or dismissal of these results from the GOP. Murphy stepped down due to scandal, Saccone was a weak candidate, etc. blah blah and bullshit.

This is a stunner, no other way for it to be processed. Just another in a string of special election bellwethers.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:02 am
You will see all sorts of excuses or dismissal of these results from the GOP. Murphy stepped down due to scandal, Saccone was a weak candidate, etc. blah blah and bullshit.

This is a stunner, no other way for it to be processed. Just another in a string of special election bellwethers.
CNN's black female Republican commentator was talking about how the race being close is a testament to Trump's popularity, because Lamb was way ahead in the polls prior to Trump's rally. I'm pretty sure she isn't a Trump lackey and has bashed Trump before, but I guess the GOP spin is more important. If Saccone pulls it out, the GOP will declare this a huge victory, and say it proves Dems are delusional, the MSM is biased, and polls are meaningless and biased towards Dems.

ETA: Looks like Fox and the GOP are declaring a Lamb victory a win for Republicans, since Lamb ran on a Republican platform, proving America prefers Republican policies.
Last edited by The Sybian on Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Don't want to break up the discussion too much, but today I got to sit in the audience for a briefing/town hall by the Secretary of Defense. It was awesome. Unfortunately I didn't get to get a picture with him though.

So his call sign when transiting is "The Principal." That was funny to hear the announcer say "Ok, please make sure you're in your seats in the next 5 minutes and don't move afterward. The Principal will be arriving shortly." For a moment I was like "Wait...is Mattis not coming?" Then I realized that's just how he's referred to.

He talked for a good 40 minutes. He's very calm and you can tell he's very intelligent. He's casually dropping war knowledge from experience and the history he's read to all of us but not making himself sound smarter than you. He was everything Trump isn't. He's quoting Churchill. He's speaking about when he was a colonel in the Pentagon when Clinton went after Milosevic. He dropped the Lewis & Clark Expedition when it came to mixing races and ethnicities for military operations. He said that no matter who you are, where you came from, what race you were, whether you believed in a god or not, you're in the military and a volunteer at that and you've decided to take a risk by joining. Everyone around you can be counted on because that's what the American military does. He even alone about always being around coalition forces in every operation he's been in too. He's also very determined to give Afghanistan back. He brought up the Russian occupation and an acknowledgement that this war has gone on too long and that a need to leave these people alone. They've seen too much. I mean, the dude was incredible.

He even had jokes that he'd drop here and there. Even the one about himself where he was like "I served proudly for over 40 years and after a few years of being a civilian I failed at retirement because here I am again serving again." Even the part about meeting Trump and being interviewed he was like "We disagreed 3 times in the first 20 minutes and when it was over I was like 'Well, I failed that. See ya. I'm headed back to Stanford.'"

Had I known there would be a Q&A I would have solicited questions from you guys. All the ones I could think of were political. The only one I could possibly muster would have been "What's been the most difficult transition going from a 4 star general to SecDef in this particular climate?" But that seems lame. The questions he did take from everyone weren't bad. One about a Space Corp, another about paratrooper utilization, one about Israel and Palestine, one about capturing enemies for Intel instead of just killing them..etc. Even one about cyber warfare that was answered head on and sounded as though everything else we're hearing on the news isn't even real. He didn't call out Russia by name but acknowledged election tampering. Weird, I know.

The dumbest one he took was about arming teachers in schools. Yes, some fucking Army guy made me and others audibly groan and facepalm. But he answered it somewhat fairly and very apolitical. He said he fears that our country is slowly becoming unglued and divided, but we as the military need to be the standard for others to follow. That it's tragic when things occur and we need to come to resolutions to prevent them, but we need to listen to each other. That we should be able to fiercely disagree but "go to the bar and have a root beer afterward" without hating each other. He couldn't delve into personal opinions because that would be an unfair lane as SecDef. He has to respect each party and give the same answers to them either way. But he was heartbroken that Americans would do something like that.

All in all, it was refreshing to see someone with more than half a brain cell in this administration speak eloquently and intelligently on things. On a certain level it drives me fucking nuts that I'll see the TVs in the chow hall on any news channel and it's hysteria and mania about everything. But then you sit for an hour in a clamshell, non permanent tent in Afghanistan with a smart dude talking and you're like "What world am I living in? What's real right now?"

I truly feel that Mattis realized this president was a fucking moonbat and cut short his retirement to make sure the Department of Defense didn't go under while everything else burned to the ground. And for that I'm fortunate.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:20 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:02 am

CNN's black female Republican commentator was talking about how the race being close is a testament to Trump's popularity, because Lamb was way ahead in the polls prior to Trump's rally. I'm pretty sure she isn't a Trump lackey and has bashed Trump before, but I guess the GOP spin is more important. If Saccone pulls it out, the GOP will declare this a huge victory, and say it proves Dems are delusional, the MSM is biased, and polls are meaningless and biased towards Dems.

ETA: Looks like Fox and the GOP are declaring a Lamb victory a win for Republicans, since Lamb ran on a Republican platform, proving America prefers Republican policies.
If the Republicans started running on Lamb's pro-union, pro-Obamacare, pro-choice, anti-tax-cut-for-the-rich platform, I could live with that.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:32 am Don't want to break up the discussion too much, but today I got to sit in the audience for a briefing/town hall by the Secretary of Defense. It was awesome. Unfortunately I didn't get to get a picture with him though.

So his call sign when transiting is "The Principal." That was funny to hear the announcer say "Ok, please make sure you're in your seats in the next 5 minutes and don't move afterward. The Principal will be arriving shortly." For a moment I was like "Wait...is Mattis not coming?" Then I realized that's just how he's referred to.

He talked for a good 40 minutes. He's very calm and you can tell he's very intelligent. He's casually dropping war knowledge from experience and the history he's read to all of us but not making himself sound smarter than you. He was everything Trump isn't. He's quoting Churchill. He's speaking about when he was a colonel in the Pentagon when Clinton went after Milosevic. He dropped the Lewis & Clark Expedition when it came to mixing races and ethnicities for military operations. He said that no matter who you are, where you came from, what race you were, whether you believed in a god or not, you're in the military and a volunteer at that and you've decided to take a risk by joining. Everyone around you can be counted on because that's what the American military does. He even alone about always being around coalition forces in every operation he's been in too. He's also very determined to give Afghanistan back. He brought up the Russian occupation and an acknowledgement that this war has gone on too long and that a need to leave these people alone. They've seen too much. I mean, the dude was incredible.

He even had jokes that he'd drop here and there. Even the one about himself where he was like "I served proudly for over 40 years and after a few years of being a civilian I failed at retirement because here I am again serving again." Even the part about meeting Trump and being interviewed he was like "We disagreed 3 times in the first 20 minutes and when it was over I was like 'Well, I failed that. See ya. I'm headed back to Stanford.'"

Had I known there would be a Q&A I would have solicited questions from you guys. All the ones I could think of were political. The only one I could possibly muster would have been "What's been the most difficult transition going from a 4 star general to SecDef in this particular climate?" But that seems lame. The questions he did take from everyone weren't bad. One about a Space Corp, another about paratrooper utilization, one about Israel and Palestine, one about capturing enemies for Intel instead of just killing them..etc. Even one about cyber warfare that was answered head on and sounded as though everything else we're hearing on the news isn't even real. He didn't call out Russia by name but acknowledged election tampering. Weird, I know.

The dumbest one he took was about arming teachers in schools. Yes, some fucking Army guy made me and others audibly groan and facepalm. But he answered it somewhat fairly and very apolitical. He said he fears that our country is slowly becoming unglued and divided, but we as the military need to be the standard for others to follow. That it's tragic when things occur and we need to come to resolutions to prevent them, but we need to listen to each other. That we should be able to fiercely disagree but "go to the bar and have a root beer afterward" without hating each other. He couldn't delve into personal opinions because that would be an unfair lane as SecDef. He has to respect each party and give the same answers to them either way. But he was heartbroken that Americans would do something like that.

All in all, it was refreshing to see someone with more than half a brain cell in this administration speak eloquently and intelligently on things. On a certain level it drives me fucking nuts that I'll see the TVs in the chow hall on any news channel and it's hysteria and mania about everything. But then you sit for an hour in a clamshell, non permanent tent in Afghanistan with a smart dude talking and you're like "What world am I living in? What's real right now?"

I truly feel that Mattis realized this president was a fucking moonbat and cut short his retirement to make sure the Department of Defense didn't go under while everything else burned to the ground. And for that I'm fortunate.
Thanks for posting this. He sounds like a guy I’d like to have a glass of scotch with. As to the bolded, can you expand on what you meant? Is he alluding to the fact it’s much worse than the media’s reporting? Cuz all the long-form I read about Russia and their cyber efforts suggest that.
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

How do I explain it...basically, in my opinion, the media is just this round the clock dopamine hit for paranoid people. There is probably some exaggeration and embellishment on behalf of keeping eyeballs glued to the TV.

What's actually happening is real with a threat and adversaries...But probably not necessarily the end of the world stuff that you're you're being told. Like, and I felt this way with news on social media, there's this helpless feeling when you're reading headlines that were actively doing nothing and Russia is just pulling all the strings.

The way Mattis explained it makes us look competent and actively combating the threat. He alluded to a concerted multinational effort to combat cyber attacks. This included involving Intel agencies and getting money from Congress for such things.

I hope I explained that well. I'm bad at that stuff sometimes.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:02 pm How do I explain it...basically, in my opinion, the media is just this round the clock dopamine hit for paranoid people. There is probably some exaggeration and embellishment on behalf of keeping eyeballs glued to the TV.

What's actually happening is real with a threat and adversaries...But probably not necessarily the end of the world stuff that you're you're being told. Like, and I felt this way with news on social media, there's this helpless feeling when you're reading headlines that were actively doing nothing and Russia is just pulling all the strings.

The way Mattis explained it makes us look competent and actively combating the threat. He alluded to a concerted multinational effort to combat cyber attacks. This included involving Intel agencies and getting money from Congress for such things.

OK. I'm assuming he acknowledges Russian (and others) weaponization of the internet goes way beyond our election (bots deployed to tilt towards particular candidates on social media platforms, etc). Because there are stories that do not get significant traction here because they're affecting Estonia, Ukraine, NATO, etc. The I-IC has been huge in monitoring bad-actor activities. Here's to the back channels in the community remaining open, because our sitting POTUS just undermined Teresa May after she publicly condemned Russia for an attack on English soil.

So long as he has pretend keys so to speak in regards to the IC.
Noli Timere Messorem
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:02 pm How do I explain it...basically, in my opinion, the media is just this round the clock dopamine hit for paranoid people. There is probably some exaggeration and embellishment on behalf of keeping eyeballs glued to the TV.

Did you listen to the last Hardcore History Addendum where Carlin interviews Merrill McPeak? I could listen to intelligent military discussion for hours.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:20 am ETA: Looks like Fox and the GOP are declaring a Lamb victory a win for Republicans, since Lamb ran on a Republican platform, proving America prefers Republican policies.
Yes, lots of Republicans stand on the victory platform and openly thank organized labor for making it all possible.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

EnochRoot wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:24 pm

OK. I'm assuming he acknowledges Russian (and others) weaponization of the internet goes way beyond our election (bots deployed to tilt towards particular candidates on social media platforms, etc). Because there are stories that do not get significant traction here because they're affecting Estonia, Ukraine, NATO, etc. The I-IC has been huge in monitoring bad-actor activities. Here's to the back channels in the community remaining open, because our sitting POTUS just undermined Teresa May after she publicly condemned Russia for an attack on English soil.

So long as he has pretend keys so to speak in regards to the IC.
Yes, this sounds about right. He spoke as if there is this infrastructure to combat the problem despite everything going on.

My fingers are crossed that this is so.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

P.D.X. wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:28 pm

Did you listen to the last Hardcore History Addendum where Carlin interviews Merrill McPeak? I could listen to intelligent military discussion for hours.
And his interview on Zero Blog Thirty. The complete way military people being interviewed answer questions is amazing. Plus the casual dropping of literal combat experience to embolden points being made simply crushes any possible "Yea, but..." response.

And it's funny too about McPeak. Dude was amazing as everything but Chief of Staff of the Air Force. He altered the culture from being a military service to being a professional business. It went top down too. Changed uniforms and rules. Made the fighter pilot the be all end all prima donna career field. I'll have to chat with some older folks, but his name was a bad word when I first came in.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:34 pm
Can’t alienate yer base and all that.
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I wonder if you could do the same thing with MSNBC? CNN spent a ton of time proving it wasn't in the bag for Obama, so there's almost zero chance with them.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:21 pm I wonder if you could do the same thing with MSNBC? CNN spent a ton of time proving it wasn't in the bag for Obama, so there's almost zero chance with them.
I bet you could find 100x the tape of MSNBC criticizing Obama or Obama policies as you could Fox doing the same for Trump (maybe 500x if you excluded Shep Smith).
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:02 am Just a few factoids that line up for a Blue Wave in November:

* - Trump won this district by 20 points.

* - This has been a conservative, locked down district since 2003 (15 years)

* - Cook had this as a +R11 district. To put that into context, I just popped over there, and counted over 50 "Solid Republicans" that are +R11 or lower. And, obviously, I'm not getting into the Toss Up, Lean Republican and Likely Republican districts which are typically much closer to even.

=-=-=-=-=

This feels like it happened last month.

One other really important thing to note: Trump pushed the steel tariffs specifically to be timed ahead of this election.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:56 pm
And they would defend it by saying Trump is different, because he the greatest negotiator of all-time. He is a deal maker, while Obama would just naively give away everything to Kim and get nothing in return.

I think negotiating and a willingness to communicate is always good, but I am terrified of Trump talking to anyone on behalf of the country. Under normal conditions, I'd say it is a matter of you trust your guy to negotiate, but not a President you don't like, but not only does Trump have zero knowledge or understanding of diplomacy, but he has no advisors at the moment, the State Dept is completely understaffed and not given information. We still don't have an ambassador in South Korea, so Ivanka is handling it! Fuck, Bush was a moron and an embarrassment, but at least he had a fully staffed State Department and intelligent advisors in place. Trump is going to walk in, and if Kim says some nice things about him and offers to put Trump's name in gold letters on a building, Trump will fork over our nuclear weapons.

Anyways, my point is that the MSM is critical of Trump's ability to negotiate, but I doubt they will be criticizing the concept of negotiating with North Korea.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

They are going to use the same protocol they laid out for Rodman. And it will work.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

If the meeting does happen, watch Kim roll out the red carpet and give Trump gifts and have a military parade in his honor and by the end of the trip, Trump will have allowed North Korea to annex Alaska.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE.

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

John Oliver is the best.

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Haven't watched the clip yet, but yes, John Oliver is the absolute best.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/19/politics ... index.html
http://people.com/politics/john-oliver- ... -real-one/

In case folks don't get around to the clip, Oliver is selling a book about a gay bunny, spoofing Pence's book about their bunny Marlon Bundo.

Oliver's book sold out in a couple of days and is outselling the Pence book. (natch)
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

An absolutely fantastic bit of work by Oliver and his crew.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Looks like the GOP candidate for Manchin's Senate seat in West Virginia is likely going to be...wait for it...a guy who spent a year in federal prison after one of his coal mines exploded and killed 29 people.

Make America Great Again, indeed. It's like 1910 all up in this bitch!
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Look, he's a job creator.

sorry
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I have a hard time believing that the Stockholm Syndrome in the GOP is so bad that someone who was responsible for killing 29 coal miners in a coal mining state would be so warmly embraced almost solely because he's anti-union, but I don't know if I'm capable of being surprised any more.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

That guy is a shithole.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I'm gonna go ahead and just take ABBA's word for it.

(Isn't this the guy that was "suing" John Oliver?)
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:25 pm I'm gonna go ahead and just take ABBA's word for it.

Not that guy.

This Guy

But the coal industry already owns that state. I wouldn;t bet against him.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

University of Wisconsin campus pushes plan to drop 13 majors — including English, history and philosophy

What I found most alarming was this...
The plan to cut the liberal arts and humanities majors (see full list below) is in line with a failed attempt by Republican Gov. Scott Walker in 2015 to secretly change the mission of the respected university system — known as the Wisconsin Idea and embedded in the state code — by removing words that commanded the university to “search for truth” and “improve the human condition” and replacing them with “meet the state’s workforce needs.”
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:33 am University of Wisconsin campus pushes plan to drop 13 majors — including English, history and philosophy

The plan to cut the liberal arts and humanities majors (see full list below) is in line with a failed attempt by Republican Gov. Scott Walker in 2015 to secretly change the mission of the respected university system — known as the Wisconsin Idea and embedded in the state code — by removing words that commanded the university to “search for truth” and “improve the human condition” and replacing them with “meet the state’s workforce needs.”
Can their AAU membership be revoked as a result of this? And if that happens, will they lose their Big Ten membership? Asking for a friend.
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:41 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:25 pm I'm gonna go ahead and just take ABBA's word for it.

Not that guy.

This Guy

But the coal industry already owns that state. I wouldn;t bet against him.

That guy's a shithole, too.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:33 am University of Wisconsin campus pushes plan to drop 13 majors — including English, history and philosophy

That is shocking, even for these assholes. Must remove Liberal Arts, because it has the word "Liberal" in it? They should remove all sciences, too, and replace it with Christian studies. Sure, it's a government school, but it's OK because we are a Christian Nation, and the Constitution demands we put Christianity above all other religions and before the rule of law.
-Pruitt