Random Politics

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Re: Random Politics

Post by Steve of phpBB »

A_B wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:27 amFrom the article: "Skeptical members of Manchin's party have questioned the reasons for his opposition, especially after after a recent poll found that a majority of West Virginia voters support changing the filibuster rules and that 79% of the state's voters — including a large majority of Republicans — support the For the People Act."

In the second paragraph. You whiffed on this one, Steve in your rush to paint with a broad brush.
I've read that poll. It was put together by Represent Us, a left/liberal advocacy group who clearly favors the legislation and wanted to get a result that inflated its popularity among Manchin's voters.

The poll starts by listing the most generally popular parts of the bill and asks whether people favor those provisions. They all get 75 percent favorability, except for one - only 51 percent favor requiring states to use paper ballots. Then it presents three supposed "goals" of the legislation, again all worded very favorably (like "make sure elections are fair and honest" and "crack down on corruption" and "reduce the influence of big money and lobbyists").

Then it asks "from what you have heard about the For the People Act so far" (i.e., how we just described it), do you think your senators should vote yes.

This is known as "priming" and is known to have a big effect on poll results. https://www.surveymonkey.com/curiosity/ ... t-on-bias/

According to that poll, the person whom WV voters trust the most to provide them with information about the FTPA is Donald Trump. The group placing second highest in that poll is "veterans and members of the military in West Virginia." And only 55 percent even know what the filibuster is.

West Virginia voters are very, very conservative. (Only 17 percent identified as liberal or somewhat liberal, versus 49 percent conservative or somewhat conservative.) They want the Republican party to have power.

Edit: Here is that poll:
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yet another "I know what this poll really means and, surprise, it supports my stance". Crazy how this keeps happening.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:17 pm Yet another "I know what this poll really means and, surprise, it supports my stance". Crazy how this keeps happening.
Dude, c'mon. Do you really think 70 percent of West Virginia voters favor sweeping changes to national voting laws that strongly favor Democrats (and black and brown people) and rein in good clean white Christian Republicans?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Margin of error: As much as Steve needs to not have to alter his narrative
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Also you meant 79%, not 70%. ; )
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:34 pm Margin of error: As much as Steve needs to not have to alter his narrative
I think you have that backward. I'm not the one refusing to look at arguments critically and carefully just because I like what they say.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:35 pm Also you meant 79%, not 70%. ; )
That's the funny thing, I don't see 79% anywhere in that poll.

The first time the question is asked, after really being presented in a biased pro-FTPA way, there's 71 percent support. (This is Question 5.)

Then the poll presents some pro- and con- arguments, still in a biased pro-FTPA way, and the support drops to 57 percent. (Question 12.) But the release summarizing that poll doesn't even mention the 57 percent, even though that is the question presented after the respondents "have heard more about the For the People Act." And I don't recall Rachel Maddow talking or tweeting about the 57, only the 71 (which has somehow grown to 79).
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I guess whether its 57% or 71% or 79% doesn't matter since we both know all of those numbers fall under 50%.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:03 pm I guess whether its 57% or 71% or 79% doesn't matter since we both know all of those numbers fall under 50%.
Well, no.

The numbers on that poll are irrelevant because the poll is so biased and has so many red flags as to be worthless.

So we are left to look at other things. For example, we know WV is a very conservative pro-Republican white state that heavily supports Trump and the Republican Party. We know that the state has become more Republican over recent years as racial issues have become more salient. (McCain got 56%, Romney 62%, and Trump 69% both times.)

Is it possible that West Virginia voters, when presented with a full understanding of the For the People Act and its implications, would favor the Act?

Sure, it's possible.

But now, back to the question I asked and you didn't answer before: Do you believe that a strong majority of WV voters favor the For the People Act?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:24 pm
mister d wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:17 pm Yet another "I know what this poll really means and, surprise, it supports my stance". Crazy how this keeps happening.
Dude, c'mon. Do you really think 70 percent of West Virginia voters favor sweeping changes to national voting laws that strongly favor Democrats (and black and brown people) and rein in good clean white Christian Republicans?
This description of the law sounds like a GOP talking point about why these restrictive voting acts are necessary.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I don't know, man. 85% of these dumb mouthbreathing Trump lovers want ban politicians from enriching themselves with policy and 84% are against gerrymandering. It would seem to track.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Giff wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:34 pmThis description of the law sounds like a GOP talking point about why these restrictive voting acts are necessary.
That's exactly my point.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Johnnie wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:49 pm
God AOC is so fucking good at this.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

She likely has a team of people who vet & research all angles in order to respond in a timely fashion.

Fwiw, I'm guessing Joe Rogan does as well.
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

EnochRoot wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:53 pm She likely has a team of people who vet & research all angles in order to respond in a timely fashion.

In this day and age every congressional member should have a team of people to handle social strategy.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

A_B wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:54 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:53 pm She likely has a team of people who vet & research all angles in order to respond in a timely fashion.

In this day and age every congressional member should have a team of people to handle social strategy.
Oh no doubt. Some congresspeople figure it out better than others. Synergy is key.
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

They don't care and they deserve to lose:
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I can’t root for it because of the obvious short term damage and potential long term damage, but I’d like to see a simulation where Obamacare is repealed and whether that makes M4A more likely in the next decade or two.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I half want to run for Congress after I'm done with the military just so I could work with Ruben Gallego.

The other half is to be a cunt to Republicans on Twitter.

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

If he wanted to be subjected to useless crowd noise he would have stayed at that Colts game
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

ETTD
Noli Timere Messorem
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

EnochRoot wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:16 pmETTD
Sadly, not literally.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:43 pm
wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:53 am Someone I know very well is getting nominated by the White House for Senate confirmed position today. I have been refreshing the whitehouse.gov press releases constantly to see when it is public...and thinking of what opportunities I have to vandalize this person's wikipedia page (which does not exist yet).

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-roo ... -services/
Confirmation hearing on Thursday. It is a shame it took so long to get scheduled. I mean she is out of a job in August when Trump is reinstated.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Long story short:

Ethan (from H3) was continuing to wear a mask because of CDC suggestion. Crowder talked shit about it and challenged Ethan to a debate. Ethan isn't a debater and invited Sam Seder to debate instead (there's history with Crowder backing out from a debate with Seder from Politicon). Crowder backed out because his booker -- his father -- used Crowder's pregnant wife as an excuse, but was cool to reschedule the debate when Sam Seder went live the following Monday. Seder pretaped his show and was able to stream-bomb Ethan and Crowder's debate. What you see is his pants shitting reaction.

Liberal YouTube and Twitter is laughing at Crowder because he's a bitch.

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I don't understand any of that but figure it would be okay if they all get hit by a meteor?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:47 am I don't understand any of that but figure it would be okay if they all get hit by a meteor?
I don't know who Ethan is or what h3 is, but if he is a politic pundit, he is kind of a bitch for bringing on someone to debate for him. Steven Crowder is a failed comedian turned right wing political troll, and he is always a bitch, acting like a tough guy, punching down and trying to do Daily Show style man on the street interviews with Liberals and make them look bad, but he is just aggressive and bullying, not funny or letting the morons create the humor, which is what makes Daily Show pieces funny. Sam Seder cohosted a show on Air America with Jeannine Garafolo that I used to listen to. I think he has a youtube show now.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Life's too short for any of this.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Ethan isn't in the realm of being a political pundit and exactly why Crowder wants to debate him.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Johnnie wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:36 am Long story short:

Ethan (from H3) was continuing to wear a mask because of CDC suggestion. Crowder talked shit about it and challenged Ethan to a debate. Ethan isn't a debater and invited Sam Seder to debate instead (there's history with Crowder backing out from a debate with Seder from Politicon). Crowder backed out because his booker -- his father -- used Crowder's pregnant wife as an excuse, but was cool to reschedule the debate when Sam Seder went live the following Monday. Seder pretaped his show and was able to stream-bomb Ethan and Crowder's debate. What you see is his pants shitting reaction.

Liberal YouTube and Twitter is laughing at Crowder because he's a bitch.

You could just post the Youtube link for literal Youtube shows, you know?

Guys, Steven Crowder is a horrible, horrible, horrible human being. As Nazi as they come, so be careful with the moral equivalencies, here.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I absolutely could, but I doubt the board wants to watch the 48 minute clip from H3 directly or Hasan Piker interviewing Ethan or Vaush with his take that's an hour and twenty plus minutes or the various other links I could add.

So I figured I would find the 2 minute clip and give a quick backstory. Because, as you see, it's met with a giant 'meh' as it is.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I watched Hasan's reaction to it today. It's great.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Crowder asked Seder to take off his glasses to see the "Velveteen Rabbit buttons."

I had no idea what that meant, but it's next level antisemitism because Jewish people have "dark beady eyes" and the punk co-host mentioned something about "to see if you have a soul."

Like, my God. The anti Jewish undertones are the mainline of conservative thought while they always act like their Judeo-Christian bubble is under attack.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I don’t understand at least the last eight posts. No idea who these people are. So it’s on topic!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, call me when there's less talk about CROWDER and more talk about CHOWDER, amiright?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

A_B wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:40 pm I don’t understand at least the last eight posts. No idea who these people are. So it’s on topic!
Here's a good history and recap of the whole thing if you're mildly interested...