Random Politics

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: Random Politics

Post by mister d »

Just to point out, there really isn't a ton of difference between Cruz going to Cancun while Texas is in crisis and congress taking a vacation while the country is in crisis and relief remains on hold. The optics are clearly worse with his dopey ass on a plane, but effectively the same.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Can we start placing bets on what his public statement is gonna look like? Here's my prediction: He'll go on with either Tucker Carlson or Sean Hannity, and say something about how his wife and daughters had already planned the vacation, and insisted on going, and he had always planned on just going with them for one night, and then getting back to help the people of Texas, and that its all the Lib/Dem's fault for making a big deal about it.

Meanwhile...the Senator that Texas could have had:

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:16 am Just to point out, there really isn't a ton of difference between Cruz going to Cancun while Texas is in crisis and congress taking a vacation while the country is in crisis and relief remains on hold. The optics are clearly worse with his dopey ass on a plane, but effectively the same.
Part of the reason for Congressional recesses is to allow Congressmen to go home and deal with Constituents in person.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Unless they're going to be giving state funded aide, I'm pretty sure whatever they might be doing in person would be secondary in terms of both need and promises?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:38 am
mister d wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:16 am Just to point out, there really isn't a ton of difference between Cruz going to Cancun while Texas is in crisis and congress taking a vacation while the country is in crisis and relief remains on hold. The optics are clearly worse with his dopey ass on a plane, but effectively the same.
Part of the reason for Congressional recesses is to allow Congressmen to go home and deal with Constituents in person.
You mean raise money and campaign. They can have virtual meetings with constituents from DC while still being in session.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

This story is gonna keep getting worse:

Pretty sure that the Houston PD has better things to do.

And I'm not near smart enough to wrap my head around this spin:

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Cruz is going to be disappointed to learn there are Mexicans in Mexico.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

brian wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:10 pm Cruz is going to be disappointed to learn there are Mexicans in Mexico.
Not where he's at. No more than his normal compliment of immigrant laborers on this side of the Big Beautiful Wall
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

To riff on a joke I saw here, whenever Laura Ingraham says something stupid, it can only be the second stupidest thing to ever come out of her mouth. The first will always be Dinesh D'Souza's cock.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

duff wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:42 am
You mean raise money and campaign. They can have virtual meetings with constituents from DC while still being in session.
Certainly part of their time will be spent raising money. That is an inevitability if you are a Senator.

But there is also important things that elected officials do that will be more effective in person. Not just meeting with constituents, but also local and state government leaders, etc.

Right now there's no Covid relief bill for the Senate to mark up because it's in the House. But to the extent certain Senators need to talk to others to work on other bills, they can do that virtually as well.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:39 pm
duff wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:42 am
Certainly part of their time will be spent raising money. That is an inevitability if you are a Senator.

But there is also important things that elected officials do that will be more effective in person. Not just meeting with constituents, but also local and state government leaders, etc.

Right now there's no Covid relief bill for the Senate to mark up because it's in the House. But to the extent certain Senators need to talk to others to work on other bills, they can do that virtually as well.
Junior Senator Mike Braun is here in Indiana. Guess what he is doing with constituents. Virtual open houses. Easily done from DC while working with other Senators to figure out a covid relief bill. Or anything else everyone needs. Working with other members of Congress is better use of their times right now then meeting with local and state government officials for their circle jerks and bukkake sessions.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

If the elites are squirreled away in their mansions and gated communities, then they're not taking away houses from poor people. It's the best thing they could be doing for them.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Give Cruz some credit, the man knows some things about escaping to the country south of where he is.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:19 am Can we start placing bets on what his public statement is gonna look like? Here's my prediction: He'll go on with either Tucker Carlson or Sean Hannity, and say something about how his wife and daughters had already planned the vacation, and insisted on going, and he had always planned on just going with them for one night, and then getting back to help the people of Texas, and that its all the Lib/Dem's fault for making a big deal about it.
Called it:

Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

"Dad, will you be a good dad and sit next to me and my friends on an airplane and then immediately leave again once we're in Mexico where it's safer for a girl like me and her aforementioned friends than an airplane?"
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

Ted Cruz is trash, but IMO he is still unbeatable in Texas.. Dems should be going after this crazed bitch.

Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

She looks like a Mii
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

YES! That's been bothering me for a while now and you nailed it.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

psunate77 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:24 pm
Holy Fuck.

That's typically a very senior/important position on a senatorial staff.

What a train wreck.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:58 pm
Holy Fuck.

What a train wreck.
[+] spoiler
Umm...you know she's a comedian, right?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Oh fuck.

I'm an idiot.

As always, I'll leave my stupidity up for the masses to see.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

I don't know if Cruz is unbeatable in Texas. He got 50.9% in 2018. But it doesn't really matter right now because he's not up for re-election again until 2024.

Boebert is up next year, of course. Three Dems have already announced against her.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:28 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:19 am Can we start placing bets on what his public statement is gonna look like? Here's my prediction: He'll go on with either Tucker Carlson or Sean Hannity, and say something about how his wife and daughters had already planned the vacation, and insisted on going, and he had always planned on just going with them for one night, and then getting back to help the people of Texas, and that its all the Lib/Dem's fault for making a big deal about it.
Called it:

Noli Timere Messorem
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Whatever argument you want to (try) and make about why he can do his job from anywhere (debatable), it is UNDENIABLE that the optics on this are incredibly bad.

This isn't the kind of thing Dems are immune to, as noted in this thread already, but the high and mighty and constantly critical (cruz) take a much bigger hit in public opinion when their hypocrisy is laid bare.

It doesn't hurt to repeat: In the middle of the pandemic and flying to Cancun is not a great look, on a number of fronts. But slap in the middle of the worst energy crisis in the state's history?

C'mon man. That's off the charts stupid.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

This is what it looks like to get owned by the libs.

A small part of me looks forward to Trump's 2-page statement ripping into Cruz this evening.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

But Pelosi went to a beauty salon under lockdown! She is the horrible one!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

And there's no way around the basis of it all: What's happening just doesn't matter to him, both in terms of feeling any effect and in terms of caring. And he's hardly unique.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:09 pm I don't know if Cruz is unbeatable in Texas. He got 50.9% in 2018. But it doesn't really matter right now because he's not up for re-election again until 2024.
Yeah, but Cruz thinks he's going to be running for President in 2024. Wonder if this fiasco will play into his decision on that.

And, just to ask: Where in the fuck are his staffers? Was there no one in his office who said 'Wait...this is a really fucking bad idea'?
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:05 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:09 pm I don't know if Cruz is unbeatable in Texas. He got 50.9% in 2018. But it doesn't really matter right now because he's not up for re-election again until 2024.
Yeah, but Cruz thinks he's going to be running for President in 2024. Wonder if this fiasco will play into his decision on that.

And, just to ask: Where in the fuck are his staffers? Was there no one in his office who said 'Wait...this is a really fucking bad idea'?
Are you operating under the impression that his staffers have room to object instead of merely being sycophants?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:05 pm

Which, given the earlier conversation we were having about power dynamics, says a lot about his operation.

I'm pretty sure some of staff resigned after Jan. 6.
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

duff wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:52 pm But Pelosi went to a beauty salon under lockdown! She is the horrible one!
Biden took his grand kids to Camp David and played video games with them.

DURING CORONA.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

psunate77 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:10 pm
duff wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:52 pm But Pelosi went to a beauty salon under lockdown! She is the horrible one!
Biden took his grand kids to Camp David and played video games with them.

DURING CORONA.
And Trump went to Maro Lago and played golf. What's your point? I know reading sarcasm can be hard. I should have put it in orange.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Gotta be ready in case your rights get violated during a zoom call.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

This dumb cunt has four kids.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:01 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:58 pm
Holy Fuck.

What a train wreck.
[+] spoiler
Umm...you know she's a comedian, right?
She's very, very attractive.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."