Random Politics

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: Random Politics

Post by mister d »

Texas is all sorts of stupid and right now most politicians could fuck a child on live TV and the outrage would be shouted down as "cancel culture".
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:27 am Texas is all sorts of stupid and right now most politicians could fuck a child on live TV and the outrage would be shouted down as "cancel culture".
Yes! After the Access Hollywood tape, there is no such thing as a moment that can end a Republican. And Trump has topped that dozens of times over. There is nothing a member of the GOP can do (other than doing the right thing in an impeachment) that the rest of the GOP won't rally behind and excuse.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

Biden telling Desantis to fuck off..

EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Texas, Land of Wind & Lies.
However, that changed around a day after the severity of the disaster became apparent. Republican politicians and right-wing media, not content with run-of-the-mill blame-shifting, have coalesced around a malicious falsehood instead — the claim that wind and solar power caused the collapse of the Texas power grid, and that radical environmentalists are somehow responsible for the fact that millions of people are freezing in the dark, even though conservative Republicans have run the state for a generation.

This isn’t normal political malfeasance. It’s the energy-policy equivalent of claiming that the Jan. 6 insurrection was a false-flag Antifa operation — raw denial of reality, not just to escape accountability, but to demonize one’s opponents. And it’s another indicator of the moral and intellectual collapse of American conservatism.
It’s also true that extreme cold forced some of the state’s insufficiently winterized wind turbines to shut down, but as I said, this was happening to Texas energy sources across the board, with the worst problems involving natural gas.

Why, then, the all-out effort to falsely place the blame on wind power?

The incentives are obvious. Attacking wind power is a way for both elected officials and free-market ideologues to dodge responsibility for botched deregulation; it’s a way to please fossil fuel interests, which give the vast bulk of their political contributions to Republicans; and since progressives tend to favor renewable energy, it’s a way to own the libs. And it all dovetails with climate change denial.

But why do they think they can get away with such an obvious lie? The answer, surely, is that those peddling the lie know that they’re operating in a post-truth political landscape. When two-thirds of Republicans believe that Antifa was involved in the assault on the Capitol, selling the base a bogus narrative about the Texas electricity disaster is practically child’s play.

And if you’re expecting any change in the policies that helped cause this disaster, don’t count on it — at least as long as Texas remains Republican. Given everything else we’ve seen, the best bet is that demonization of wind power, not a realistic understanding of what actually happened, will rule policy going forward.
Noli Timere Messorem
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

What the Fuck?? Is DeSantis really this bad?

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Dude, he left his dog alone?!?

What the fuck. I don't even have a dog and this is infuriating.

He might actually get got because being a dog owner is bipartisan.

(His dog is named - I shit you not - Snowflake.)

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:06 pm Dude, he left his dog alone?!?

I'm gonna have to give him the benefit of the doubt on this because I doubt he was just gonna leave his dog at home for four days with no one to take care of it.

We used to leave our dog at home because that's where they were comfortable but we had a doggy door so they could go in and out at will and if we didn't have someone actually staying there housesitting like one of our friend's teen kids or my buddy Chad, we'd at least have one of the teen kids coming over twice a day to hang out with them and replace their food and water. I assume at minimum they had setup the latter.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Not that strange except... it's in a winter storm where power/heat is in flux and houses are literally freezing.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

It's not like he left the dog stranded in a sewer, guys.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

P.D.X. wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:28 pm Not that strange except... it's in a winter storm where power/heat is in flux and houses are literally freezing.
Sure, I'm just saying I'm pretty sure there was someone in Houston who was taking care of the dog one way or another. If they lost power at the Cruz household I'm sure the caretaker would have taken Snowflake to their house or something. I could be wrong of course, but I doubt the plan was to just let the dog fend for itself for four days.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I really try to avoid politics with my mom, but I want to throw this AOC stuff in her face so badly.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:13 pm
So apparently Neera Tanden's nomination is going to be sunk by Joe Manchin?

That's pretty funny.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Right vote, wrong reason, also this:

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I hadn't even thought of this angle that would keep this story in the mainstream:

Cruz family’s Cancun trip rattles their private school

Parents demand enforcement of quarantine rules that will keep the senator’s children out of class.

This dude needs to quit politics and move somewhere else.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:06 pm Dude, he left his dog alone?!?

No way in hell the Cruz family doesn't have a nice quiet underpaid Latina woman cleaning the house and taking care of the pooch.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Virginia G.O.P. Voted on Its Future. The Losers Reject the Results.

Meet the new G.O.P. - trying to keep the Gubernatorial nomination away from a raving lunatic.
There is little establishment support for Ms. Chase, who last month was censured by her State Senate colleagues and stripped of committee assignments after she called the rioters at the Capitol “patriots.” She has recently been required to sit in a plexiglass box after refusing to wear a mask during Senate sessions. Ms. Chase has called it her “square of freedom.”
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

My wife is heading to Richmond in a week. I really want a photo of the still broken windows of VAGOPHQ.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

Not that it's going to start a mass exodus or anything, but noteworthy nonetheless, Arkansas State Senator Jim Hendren leaving the GOP to go independent.
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

I hope this isn't true, but how can you trust the Secret Service now?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Yeah - that sure seems like an unimpeachable source.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This is such a great 'Fuck You' to Ted Cruz.

L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Aidy Bryant was pretty great as Cruz on SNL...

psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

L-Jam3 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:31 pm
By 2024 all this will be forgotten..
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

psunate77 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:27 pm
If any candidate going against Cruz, including the Republicans running for President, let him forget this they should be sued for political malpractice.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:50 pm
psunate77 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:27 pm
If any candidate going against Cruz, including the Republicans running for President, let him forget this they should be sued for political malpractice.
OTOH, he will do and say so many horrible things between now and 2024, this may be down the list.
-Pruitt
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

Perdue is out for 2022, looks like it will most likely be Collins vs Warnock. Unless Collins runs for Governor.

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Critics slam Sen. Ron Johnson for unfounded claim that ‘fake Trump protesters’ led riots
Johnson claimed that the “great majority” of protesters had a “jovial, friendly, earnest demeanor” and blamed the violence that turned deadly on “plainclothes militants, agent provocateurs, fake Trump protesters, and disciplined uniformed column of attackers.”
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:19 am Critics slam Sen. Ron Johnson for unfounded claim that ‘fake Trump protesters’ led riots
Johnson claimed that the “great majority” of protesters had a “jovial, friendly, earnest demeanor” and blamed the violence that turned deadly on “plainclothes militants, agent provocateurs, fake Trump protesters, and disciplined uniformed column of attackers.”
Ah...The modern day GOP argumentum a mala fide, or argument from bad faith.
Noli Timere Messorem
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I get they wouldn't do it because they don't want to risk losing access, but it'd be nice once in a while if reporters made pushed back more. Such as "Senator, we all saw and heard video of the Capitol attack. Where are you getting the evidence of your claim that they were false Trump supporters?" And if he says he heard it somewhere, keep pressing. Then simply repeat it back. "So Senator, you are claiming that counter the video evidence we all saw, some guy somewhere told you that he heard the protestors were really fake Trump supporters. Do I have that correct?"
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

L-Jam3 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:04 am I get they wouldn't do it because they don't want to risk losing access, but it'd be nice once in a while if reporters made pushed back more. Such as "Senator, we all saw and heard video of the Capitol attack. Where are you getting the evidence of your claim that they were false Trump supporters?" And if he says he heard it somewhere, keep pressing. Then simply repeat it back. "So Senator, you are claiming that counter the video evidence we all saw, some guy somewhere told you that he heard the protestors were really fake Trump supporters. Do I have that correct?"
I read that he named the website where he got the information, and it was some far Right nutjob site I never heard of. I did not independently confirm. I do wonder if the insurrectionists are insulted by being labelled as Antifa.
-Pruitt
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

"Senator, I am personally not familiar with that website. Your constituents and the taxpayers who pay yours and your staff's salary would like to know whether you confirmed that claim with a more well-known source such as the AP, Reuters, or the Wall Street Journal? And if not, do you implicitly believe everything you read that's published on the internet?"
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Seriously, though. These Republican motherfuckers are soft. Keep them on the defensive, and they'll fold faster than the Flash on laundry day. And if they get angry and flip the fuck out, well, cameras don't lie.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:37 am I did not independently confirm. I do wonder if the insurrectionists are insulted by being labelled as Antifa.
There have been accounts that they're pissed that antifa is getting credit for their little revolution.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

L-Jam3 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:35 am they'll fold faster than the Flash on laundry day.
Stealing the shit out of that.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Virginia GOP decides to double down on the nutty...

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Why isn't this guy in jail?

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

If he was a Democrat he would have been executed by now.
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

brian wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:51 pm If he was a Democrat he would have been executed by now.
Just like Ted Kennedy