Random Politics

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnnie
The Dude

Re: Random Politics

Post by Johnnie »

This entire charade is so fucking frustrating. It reminds me again and again that people intentionally jump to the most politically advantageous angle and exploit it for gain when there's no there there.

Muslim woman criticizes Israel? ANTI SEMITISM. HOW DARE SHE. Nevermind the antisemitism coming from inside the White House and throughout the GOP base. The brown not Christian woman said something I don't like! It's the Lenten season! Christ is watching!

And this is on a broad, sweeping scale. People face this kind of direct "miscommunication" daily on smaller scales. Say something where context is completely misrepresented and a person gets extremely angry over words? BURN THAT PERSON NOW. I'VE BEEN INSULTED.

I fucking hate America sometimes.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

EdRomero wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:27 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:23 am

This is really a great example of what a lot of you guys rail about in terms of why we lose to the GOP so frequently. Absolutely outrageous that so many are calling her comments anti-Semitic. Criticizing Israel, specifically Netenyahu's Israel, is absolutely warranted and the knee-jerk reactions of so many in this country is dumbfounding.
Especially when much of the criticism is coming from Republicans who looked the other way when their colleagues were aligning themselves with people who call themselves Nazis.
I’ll second (third?) these posts and add that for Pelosi and the House leadership to even think about a resolution condemning Omar at the same time she is being subject to horrific Islamophobic smears and terroristic threats from GOP politicians is infuriating.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

This is really a great example of what a lot of you guys rail about in terms of why we lose to the GOP so frequently. Absolutely outrageous that so many are calling her comments anti-Semitic. Criticizing Israel, specifically Netenyahu's Israel, is absolutely warranted and the knee-jerk reactions of so many in this country is dumbfounding.
There are so many Jews who hate Netanyahu and the way he has given everything to the lunatic fringe in order to stay in power. It is appalling how the Democrats have bought into the AIPAC narrative.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:42 am

There are so many Jews who hate Netanyahu and the way he has given everything to the lunatic fringe in order to stay in power. It is appalling how the Democrats have bought into the AIPAC narrative.
And, look, I went and really looked at what Omar has said over the years and recently and frankly, it's problematic. She has danced around, depending on the audience about the boycott issue, and she's been pretty soft (at times) about promoting a 2-state solution (spending a bunch of time painting Israel as a rough equivalent to S. Africa.)

She had a chance to get out front and lead on this issue, speaking truth to power but being a positive voice for an actual peaceful resolution. She didn't do that. She's a freshman and hopefully she learns.

But FFS, the House Dems are fucking morons on this. Like I said, you close the doors, you shout it out, you squash it, you emerge from the room united.

A fucking floor vote. Idiots.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:39 pm
Pruitt wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:42 am

And, look, I went and really looked at what Omar has said over the years and recently and frankly, it's problematic. She has danced around, depending on the audience about the boycott issue, and she's been pretty soft (at times) about promoting a 2-state solution (spending a bunch of time painting Israel as a rough equivalent to S. Africa.)

She had a chance to get out front and lead on this issue, speaking truth to power but being a positive voice for an actual peaceful resolution. She didn't do that. She's a freshman and hopefully she learns.

But FFS, the House Dems are fucking morons on this. Like I said, you close the doors, you shout it out, you squash it, you emerge from the room united.

A fucking floor vote. Idiots.
Exactly. Keep it in house.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I'm just surprised the Democrats haven't publicly chastised the most anti-Semitic institution of them all: The Israel Attorney General's office!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:26 pm I'm just surprised the Democrats haven't publicly chastised the most anti-Semitic institution of them all: The Israel Attorney General's office!
Who does Netanyahu remind you of?

Not sure who borrowed from the other's handbook first, Trump or him.

While trump cozies up to autocrats from around the world, Netanyahu does the same - with the particularly galling twist that he includes openly anti-semitic regimes in his list of friends of Israel.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:53 pm
Johnnie wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:26 pm I'm just surprised the Democrats haven't publicly chastised the most anti-Semitic institution of them all: The Israel Attorney General's office!
Who does Netanyahu remind you of?

Not sure who borrowed from the other's handbook first, Trump or him.
I don’t know about Trump, but Netanyahu has been very close to the Kushner family for decades now (see below), all of which renders the idea of Jared leading Middle East policy even more of a joke.

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Lowlifes, every single one of them.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

After all that 23 Republicans voting against the resolution, which will be the main story (and then the whole thing forgotten). I guess the lesson is never ever underestimate the stupidity of the House GOP caucus.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

brian wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:58 pm After all that 23 Republicans voting against the resolution, which will be the main story (and then the whole thing forgotten). I guess the lesson is never ever underestimate the stupidity of the House GOP caucus.
I think this is the most important thing - none of this will matter because no one is going to ever think about it again.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Kinda like how a hand full of Republicans went to Russia on the 4th of July and no one made a peep? Yeah.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This is bold.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

She later added Apple as well to the list.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Amazon, Google and Facebook I absolutely understand.

Apple? Not so much.
Noli Timere Messorem
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

EnochRoot wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:08 pm Amazon, Google and Facebook I absolutely understand.

Apple? Not so much.
Apple makes sense because of how much money they have stored overseas, but I'll grant that they exert a lot less influence and power over everyday Americans than Amazon, Google and Facebook do.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

brian wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:22 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:08 pm Amazon, Google and Facebook I absolutely understand.

Apple? Not so much.
Apple makes sense because of how much money they have stored overseas, but I'll grant that they exert a lot less influence and power over everyday Americans than Amazon, Google and Facebook do.
Having a lot of money isn't really a legal justification for breaking up a company. That requires their having significant market power so that they are immune from normal competition.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

That's where I was going with that.

Though, if she were to rant about how insufferable iTunes is, then I could probably be made to carry a torch.
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Meghan McCain is the final boss in a video game where you have to argue with insufferable privileged white girls who literally can't even.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:17 pm Meghan McCain is the final boss in a video game where you have to argue with insufferable privileged white girls who literally can't even.
I love this line so much.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:17 pm Meghan McCain is the final boss in a video game where you have to argue with insufferable privileged white girls who literally can't even.
The Final Becky?
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:44 am
The Final Becky?
Yes. And her two hench-beckies, the ones you face before getting to her, are Kat Timpf and Tomi Lahren.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Rand Paul wants to give me and all veterans of the GWOT $2,500 as a 'victory bonus' for serving.

"That can buy a damn lot of Copenhagen, Bud Light, Monster energy drinks, and like 3 payments on my new Camaro," said every E4 and below.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I just made the mistake of looking at Meghan McCain's Twitter.

What. A. Fucking. Cess. Pool.

The tweets and retweets of conservative America strawmanning and misrepresenting the fuck out of these 'anti semitic' comments is an abomination.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Why we need to ridicule and not enable hucksters like Dan Crenshaw:

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Patches is not very bright.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Good piece here on Howard Schultz and his relationship with his alma mater (Northern Michigan University). This was a story I was expecting to come out sooner or later since it's the thing that Yoopers are most likely to discuss where Schultz is concerned, but it's also telling that the one place where Schultz's message would be likely to resonate is a place that is rural, but which has historically voted blue only to switch to supporting the GOP over the last couple of decades (there are a lot of these places in the Midwest) and they absolutely fucking loathe Schultz.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

And Over The Cliff They Go...

Hard Brexit ? Soft Brexit?

No one knows - deadline day is the 29th.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

brian wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:46 pm Good piece here on Howard Schultz and his relationship with his alma mater (Northern Michigan University). This was a story I was expecting to come out sooner or later since it's the thing that Yoopers are most likely to discuss where Schultz is concerned, but it's also telling that the one place where Schultz's message would be likely to resonate is a place that is rural, but which has historically voted blue only to switch to supporting the GOP over the last couple of decades (there are a lot of these places in the Midwest) and they absolutely fucking loathe Schultz.
Read that his morning. Schultz is a tool bag.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:39 am And Over The Cliff They Go...

May's deal soundly rejected - nearly 2/3 of the Commons votes against.

God, did those guys fuck themselves up bad.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:26 pm
Pruitt wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:39 am And Over The Cliff They Go...

May's deal soundly rejected - nearly 2/3 of the Commons votes against.

God, did those guys fuck themselves up bad.
3 years to come up with nothing. And the stakes couldn't be much higher.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Without knowing too much about UK politics, what are the repercussions if the House of Commons and the government just chooses to ignore the referendum and refuses to implement Brexit?

I suspect the government would be dissolved and new elections held, but then the issue falls on the new government at that point, which would probably be elected with the mandate to reject Brexit. Seems like they've discovered the hard way how minority rule actually works like we have here.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:40 pm Without knowing too much about UK politics, what are the repercussions if the House of Commons and the government just chooses to ignore the referendum and refuses to implement Brexit?

I suspect the government would be dissolved and new elections held, but then the issue falls on the new government at that point, which would probably be elected with the mandate to reject Brexit. Seems like they've discovered the hard way how minority rule actually works like we have here.
The last election they had in 2017 was supposed to give the Tories the big majority. Like just about everything else that Theresa May has touched, it failed.

At least Corbyn has finally come out in favour of a second referendum... which means that the only leader in the UK who rivals Theresa May for being hated and not trusted will have to be elected in order to get a 2nd referendum.

And if there is another election, I figure there's no way the Conservatives keep May as their leader. Which would mean a further leadership campaign. Meanwhile, the E.U. is under no obligation to make life easy for the U.K. Would they just tear up all agreements on March 29? (Doubtful, but still...)

It is a political disaster of titanic proportions. This piece sums up the situation nicely.

It’s Five Minutes to Midnight in the U.K.

ETA: From the Guardian:
She (May) said the government would table a motion, so that MPs can debate on Wednesday whether the UK should leave the EU without a deal on 29 March, and that she would offer her MPs a free vote on that decision.

There will then be another vote on Thursday, on whether to request an extension to article 50.

It seems inconceivable that the MPs would vote to leave the EU without any agreements in place. But so, so much of what has happened over there would have seemed inconceivable 4 years ago.
Last edited by Pruitt on Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

brian wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:40 pm Without knowing too much about UK politics, what are the repercussions if the House of Commons and the government just chooses to ignore the referendum and refuses to implement Brexit?

Is there anything to "implement"? I think the UK formally initiated the withdrawal process (Article 50) two years ago, and unless an alternate deal is reached, or every EU state agrees otherwise, the EU treaties automatically cease to apply to the UK on March 29.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:46 am Netanyahu's Depths
Great article. These are the telling excerpts, to me:
Rotem Sela, a popular Israeli model and actress, wrote on Instagram, “Dear god, there are also Arab citizens in this country. When the hell will someone in this government convey to the public that Israel is a state of all its citizens and that all people were created equal.” Sela’s comment might have passed mostly unnoticed, had Netanyahu not taken the bait. But he did, responding “Dear Rotem, an important correction: Israel is not a state of all its citizens. According to the nation-state law we passed, Israel is the nation-state of the Jewish people — and not anyone else.” ...

Asked about his claim in a famed speech at Bar Ilan University that he supported the idea of a two-state solution, Netanyahu said this week, without hesitation, that he would never have agreed to it.
So if Netanyahu does not support the two-state solution and believes that “Israel is not a state of all its citizens,” then where does that leave him? The obvious answer is a permanent occupation and apartheid state. We know Trump supports this but I would like to see every Presidential candidate asked to address these comments. I think that’s a moral imperative, given the scope of the US’s financial and military support for Israel.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Netanyahu has thrown his lot in with some extreme, and I mean EXTREME, parties.

Piece of shit could and should be in jail within the year.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Joe K wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:28 am So if Netanyahu does not support the two-state solution and believes that “Israel is not a state of all its citizens,” then where does that leave him? The obvious answer is a permanent occupation and apartheid state. We know Trump supports this but I would like to see every Presidential candidate asked to address these comments. I think that’s a moral imperative, given the scope of the US’s financial and military support for Israel.
The only alternative to permanent occupation and apartheid is ethnic cleansing.