Random Politics

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Re: Random Politics

Post by psunate77 »

Any Swampers from Arizona wanna explain who this idiot is?

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

psunate77 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:52 pm
brian wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:51 pm If he was a Democrat he would have been executed by now.
Just like Ted Kennedy
I took a forensics class in high school. We all had to present a report on a serial killer. There weren't enough to go around, so I was assigned Ted Kennedy. [Ironically, I now live in the hometown of his victim, Mary Jo Kopechne].
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yup, it was weird when we lived there because she was actually born in Wilkes Barre, like my wife.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

psunate77 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:54 pm Any Swampers from Arizona wanna explain who this idiot is?

Arizona has some fucking whacked politicians? I don't really need to explain much more than that.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

"Congressman Andy Bigot (R-AZ) ..."

Bet I'm the first to make that joke ever.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Ron Johnson was 1 of 8 Congress assholes to go to Russia on the 4th of July in 2018.

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/p ... h-of-july/

The fact that no one has gotten to the bottom of this pisses me off.
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

Herschel Walker possibly running for Georgia Senate seat vs Warnock?

Please tell me he won't have a chance..
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I like this guy.

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

I love when congressional staff start acting like middle schoolers...
https://www.businessinsider.com/ted-cru ... Insider%29

add this to the flag fight in the hallway and this is really showing why our leaders are children.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Well, the thing about the Senate gym is that, unless they changed it up, only Senators are allowed to use it.

Which makes it 1000x better, IMO.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:33 am Well, the thing about the Senate gym is that, unless they changed it up, only Senators are allowed to use it.

Which makes it 1000x better, IMO.
As Al Franken wrote in his book: ""Here's the thing you have to understand about Ted Cruz, I like Ted Cruz more than most of my other colleagues like Ted Cruz. And I hate Ted Cruz."

And, as further evidence as to why everyone hates Ted Cruz:

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Christ...what an asshole...

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

How many fascists does it take to insult a man, his wife and his father?

One.

Cruz is a like one of those "husbands" from a cuckold video.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So McConnell says that Trump is morally responsible for the attack on the capital. Then Trump trashes McConnell. Then McConnell says that he would support Trump for president if he’s the Republican nominee.

Can you say “Stockholm syndrome”?

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Pruitt wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:27 pm How many fascists does it take to insult a man, his wife and his father?

One.

Cruz is a like one of those "husbands" from a cuckold video.
The whole Republican party were the true cucks. They let Donald Trump waddle in and fuck their party while they cried in the corner and jerked off. This flag was probably hanging on the wall:

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Oh look...its the Republican Rising Star...

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I know this isn't a new topic, but I hadn't really read up on what happened at OSU.

Sure isn't a good article for Jim Jordan. Holy shit.

https://www.esquire.com/sports/a3512004 ... ual-abuse/
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Republicans don't have shame. And they don't cede political power because people are mad at their pasts.

We're a couple months removed from a bunch of Republican Congress members voting to overturn a free and fair election when there was an attempted insurrection that happened at the Capitol egged on by Republicans earlier in the day.

A better country would've removed these traitors and tried them in front of a jury of their peers.

But no one seems keen to pursuing that.

I honestly don't care about Republican scandals anymore because there is no justice. America is a boring dystopia.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

It's funny how the right thinks liberals are a bunch of pedos while the longest serving speaker ever was republican and a child molester. Then Jim Jordan. I'm starting to think the P in GOP stands for projection.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:59 am It's funny how the right thinks liberals are a bunch of pedos while the longest serving speaker ever was republican and a child molester. Then Jim Jordan. I'm starting to think the P in GOP stands for projection.
This is why their #1 mission at the moment is fighting "Cancel Culture." Hell, it was the theme of CPAC. They rip the Left for wanting to remove evil, racists, misogynists, anti-Semites, rapists, etc... from positions of power, and stand behind people like Trump, Roy Moore, the Proud Boys, current day literal Nazis, etc... yet they are still freaking out about the need to cancel Kaepernick, who hasn't been on a team in 4 years, and want to destroy every Dem who faces an allegation from one person with an ax to grind and little supporting evidence.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:33 pmRepublicans don't have shame. And they don't cede political power because people are mad at their pasts.
Have the Dems actually ceded political power because of a scandal recently? I can think of Katie Hill, but have there been any others?

Al Franken was pushed to resign - but he was replaced by a Democrat.

The blackface scandal didn't lead to any resignations in Virginia.

On the other side of the coin, the Republicans stuck with Roy Moore, and he lost his seat. (Though I don't know if any Doug Jones cast any deciding votes during his three years in office, so maybe that didn't matter.)
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:50 pm
Johnnie wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:33 pmRepublicans don't have shame. And they don't cede political power because people are mad at their pasts.
Have the Dems actually ceded political power because of a scandal recently? I can think of Katie Hill, but have there been any others?

Al Franken was pushed to resign - but he was replaced by a Democrat.

The blackface scandal didn't lead to any resignations in Virginia.

On the other side of the coin, the Republicans stuck with Roy Moore, and he lost his seat. (Though I don't know if any Doug Jones cast any deciding votes during his three years in office, so maybe that didn't matter.)
Those are setbacks, not the ceding of political power.

Despite having no majorities anywhere and there being a slew of bills on the horizon for voter suppression across states, the GOP is still weilding their political power. And they are relishing that not all Democrats are in board with overly democratic policies.

147 GOP folks in Congress voted to overturn a free and fair election. Hawley and Cruz are still allowed to do their jobs.

They cannot be shamed to give up what they have. Political scandals only have liberal slants these days.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Interesting how the right wing media machine has shifted into cancel culture overdrive once it was apparent Trump would not, in fact be able to overthrow the United States Government.

It's all bad faith bullshit. The vacuousness of it all is what attracts such quality people like Cawthorn and Hawley in the first place. Oh and the Q loving sycophants that have been elected to congress. Can't forget those sweethearts.
Noli Timere Messorem
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

EnochRoot wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:19 pm Interesting how the right wing media machine has shifted into cancel culture overdrive once it was apparent Trump would not, in fact be able to overthrow the United States Government.

It's all bad faith bullshit. The vacuousness of it all is what attracts such quality people like Cawthorn and Hawley in the first place. Oh and the Q loving sycophants that have been elected to congress. Can't forget those sweethearts.
Part of it is they need to go on the attack now that they aren't in power, and what can they really attack Biden on at this point? It's just funny that after 4 years of the focus being on all of the heinous actions of Trump, two impeachments, a coup attempt, trying to overthrow the entire democratic process and a litany of crimes... and the Right are freaking out (or pretending to freak out about) Mr. Potato Head and a warning labels on the Muppet Show, both decisions by private companies.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

This is a fun one. Idaho State Rep appealing to his colleagues to turn down a federal grant to assist early education. I love the anchor's signoff.

-Pruitt
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:50 pm This is a fun one. Idaho State Rep appealing to his colleagues to turn down a federal grant to assist early education. I love the anchor's signoff.

Oh I'm sending this one down to my dad in FL. He'll love it.
Noli Timere Messorem
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

AOC is right here.. Shit like this is why the Dems will lose in 2022.
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

Adam Schiff just said on Chris Hayes if Dems don't pass a voting rights Act, Repubs will control everything for the next 10 years +..

I agree, but seems like lying and being pussies could cost the dems just as much.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I think that the hyper speed of the news cycle and people's reactions have sped up to a ridiculous level.

The new administration has been in power for 7 weeks and some are already saying that the Dems are finished.

Deep breaths...
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Joe Biden got 7 million more votes than Trump. However, he really only won by 43,000.

Based off redistricting alone Republicans are going to gain in the House next year.

Meanwhile, Joe Manchin would rather be a cunt.

Sorry I can't be more optimistic.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

An alternate framing would be they’ve spent almost two months debating whether a shitty $2,000 or a shittier $1,400 should be sent to a lot of people or to less people. It was central to their campaign and now they’ve made it a negative no matter what.
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:11 am Joe Biden got 7 million more votes than Trump. However, he really only won by 43,000.

Based off redistricting alone Republicans are going to gain in the House next year.

Meanwhile, Joe Manchin would rather be a cunt.

Sorry I can't be more optimistic.
After this COVID bill gets passed, I wouldn’t be shocked if Manchin makes Mitch majority leader again.
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:56 am I think that the hyper speed of the news cycle and people's reactions have sped up to a ridiculous level.

The new administration has been in power for 7 weeks and some are already saying that the Dems are finished.

Deep breaths...
With voter suppression laws, SCOTUS huge conservatives, and Dems being pussies and not wanting to play hard ball it’s likely if Dems lose control they are not getting it back. Repubs will pass more laws to make it impossible for them to lose control.

Biden rating is high cause he has done a great job on the vaccine and moving it up, but that will wear off. I see more and more on Twitter talk about lack of 2k checks, Biden saying no to 50k student loans erased cause he wants to be fair and work with Repubs who want nothing to do with him.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

mister d wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:33 am An alternate framing would be they’ve spent almost two months debating whether a shitty $2,000 or a shittier $1,400 should be sent to a lot of people or to less people.
It's ok to lament their failure on the stimulus checks and acknowledge that there's been quite a few other things to deal with in the last 2 months.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I was assured during the Tanden nonsense that this administration isn't limited in the number of things they can do at once.

The fact of the matter is regardless of what I think was or is feasible to have done it by now, I don't believe its really a priority. Just like I don't believe the $15 minimum wage is. I do think vaccine distribution has been and their actions prove it. (And like you said, its early. In six months, I'll update with legislative action I think they actually cared about enough to fight for.)
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

I dunno, D. I think you misspelled "Senate Dems agreed on a package yesterday providing direct payments to 280 million Americans, plus extending expanded unemployment benefits for five months, broadening health insurance subsidy eligibility and a increasing subsidy spending by 29 percent, and providing $1 trillion in additional relief. Noted trash humans and smarmy centrists Joe Manchin, Kyrsten Sinema, Dianne Feinstein, Kamala Harris, and Joe Biden are each expected to cast a decisive vote for the bill, which would represent the second-largest relief package in American history, with the only bigger one being the Cares Act that the Democrats forced through a year ago. No Republicans are expected to vote for the package.

Also yesterday, the Democrats in the House passed both a major policing reform bill and a major voting rights bill, again over lockstep Republican opposition."
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I don’t think we’re saying much different, just a different level of being impressed. Ignoring that nothing is done yet and assuming what we know now is what passes soon, it’s less than promised in terms of dollars and total recipients and they stripped out the piece that would have provided lasting economic gains for the working class.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:54 am I don’t think we’re saying much different, just a different level of being impressed. Ignoring that nothing is done yet and assuming what we know now is what passes soon, it’s less than promised in terms of dollars and total recipients and they stripped out the piece that would have provided lasting economic gains for the working class.
Sure, the glass could be 90 percent full, or it could be 10 percent empty.

And obviously you aren't going to be impressed. You've made it clear that you won't be impressed by anything that involves political compromise. By definition, getting a majority to vote for *any* bill involves political compromise.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The checks themselves are 70%. Start there, keep subtracting.