Random Politics

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnnie
The Dude

Re: Random Politics

Post by Johnnie »

This dude cracks me up.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Watched a few seconds of Zuck's testimony. Dude looked scared shitless.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Him sitting in a booster seat is the funniest thing all month.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So, who is the lucky barber that has both Mark Davis and Mark Zuckerberg as clients?
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Mother fucker is a robot.

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:54 pm
I'm guessing the 10 of them were voting against the loosening of the sodomy laws (among humans). Because, you know, the gays.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:54 pm
Looks like that building belongs in the Cock and Ball Thread.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Sooo, how about that confirmation hearing for Federal Judge nominee Wendy Vitter (wife of supremely scummy Former Senator David Vitter)...

She can't say she believes the Supreme Court was correct in deciding Brown v. Board of Education? If anyone asks you if schools should have been desegregated, just say yes and move on. Fuck. 2 years ago, I wouldn't have thought it possible for a federal judicial nominee to refuse to say desegregation was good.

-Pruitt
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

She doesn’t want to piss off the base, Syb.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I actually think she has a point though. He could start her off with some easy ones like that to establish that she's willing to say she agrees and then switch to more controversial decisions where if she refuses to answer, she's giving away her position.

I wouldn't draw that line at Brown v. Board, but I get the argument.
Totally Kafkaesque
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, I have no context in terms of what folks have done in the past in her position, but on the face of it I don't think she's out of bounds here.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:09 pm Yeah, I have no context in terms of what folks have done in the past in her position, but on the face of it I don't think she's out of bounds here.
In Supreme Court nomination hearings, they always ask their opinions on specific cases. I can't say for sure they do this for all federal court nominees, but I don't think it's unusual. I get Shirley's point, and maybe she was just refusing to answer questions on any cases, and was clumsy in her wording. I didn't take it that way, I thought she was avoiding saying whether she believes in the Separate but Equal doctrine Brown overturned. Blumenthal was a federal prosecutor, so maybe he was setting her up to answer the easy ones, and pin her to answer tougher ones. I'll withhold judgment for now. What is worrisome is that she has appeared in only one federal court case in her 25 year career, and it was a 2 day trial.
-Pruitt
Avram
Brandt

Post by Avram »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:38 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:09 pm Yeah, I have no context in terms of what folks have done in the past in her position, but on the face of it I don't think she's out of bounds here.
In Supreme Court nomination hearings, they always ask their opinions on specific cases. I can't say for sure they do this for all federal court nominees, but I don't think it's unusual. I get Shirley's point, and maybe she was just refusing to answer questions on any cases, and was clumsy in her wording. I didn't take it that way, I thought she was avoiding saying whether she believes in the Separate but Equal doctrine Brown overturned. Blumenthal was a federal prosecutor, so maybe he was setting her up to answer the easy ones, and pin her to answer tougher ones. I'll withhold judgment for now. What is worrisome is that she has appeared in only one federal court case in her 25 year career, and it was a 2 day trial.
Looks like she is only marginally better than the guy they nominated who ahd never tried a case in court and couldn't answer questions a 1st year law student knows.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Can we get Bronto to comment on the MO governor? My god...there's no way he can survive this. Sounds like he should be under arrest for sexual assault.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Look at his tweeters.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

So you look at this comment (emphasis mine):
“I guarantee you somewhere today a child was physically harmed or ingested poison because they were home alone because a single parent didn’t have any money to take care of them. I’m offended by the idea that people so cavalierly and so flippantly disregarded what’s truly best for children.”
Then you look at his Wiki:
After their application to adopt a daughter from Kentucky's foster care system was denied because they already had five children, the Bevins adopted four children – between the ages of 2 and 10 – from Ethiopia in June 2012.
So...who's acting flippantly exactly?

And you gotta love a good non sequitur from a Republican!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Properly supporting the education system might also be good for children.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Rhat guy, man. I can’t really form thought right now.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

The questions these nominees get about cases like Brown strike me as political grandstanding and a complete waste of time. Assuming she is being nominated to a district judge post (which I could determine through 10 seconds of further reading up on this but no I am not doing that), I don't think very much of her caseload is going to implicate Brown. It is possible that a major desegregation case is filed in her district and ends up getting assigned to her, but it's much more likely that she'll spend most of her time on criminal cases and business matters. People's time would be a lot better used finding out the nominee's position on stuff like the Fourth Amendment, federal pleading standards, the rules of evidence, class certification, etc., because that is where district judges make law.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:23 pm Can we get Bronto to comment on the MO governor? My god...there's no way he can survive this. Sounds like he should be under arrest for sexual assault.
I now have a new most notorious classmate, replacing Tucker Max.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rex wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:06 pm

The questions these nominees get about cases like Brown strike me as political grandstanding and a complete waste of time. Assuming she is being nominated to a district judge post (which I could determine through 10 seconds of further reading up on this but no I am not doing that), I don't think very much of her caseload is going to implicate Brown. It is possible that a major desegregation case is filed in her district and ends up getting assigned to her, but it's much more likely that she'll spend most of her time on criminal cases and business matters. People's time would be a lot better used finding out the nominee's position on stuff like the Fourth Amendment, federal pleading standards, the rules of evidence, class certification, etc., because that is where district judges make law.
I get your point, but if a district court judge believes white people are inherently superior and shouldn't be forced to mix with black people, it might lead to some unjust rulings. I read the Wendy Vitter did some work attacking Planned Parenthood which she lied about on her submission to Congress, not sure if she is a noted racist or if Blumenthal had reason to expect she would refuse to admit Brown was a good decision.
-Pruitt
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:23 pm Can we get Bronto to comment on the MO governor? My god...there's no way he can survive this. Sounds like he should be under arrest for sexual assault.
Where to begin ...

Greitens ran on a platform similar to Trump's where he was an "outsider" that was going to "clean up" the state

And since he's been governor he's been investigated for using Confide, an encrypted app that deletes messages as they're viewed for official state business and his "veteran's charity" has also been thoroughly examined. That report by the Missouri House is expected to be released next week and by all accounts it's going to look awful for him (again).

OK, onto this shit, which is an admitted affair.

The ex-husband of the woman involved in this surreptitiously recorded her confession to the affair as they were in the middle of an estranged period. Missouri is a one-consent state so that's legal, even if it's not ethical.

The ex is the one who took the story and recording to a St. Louis TV station and said "hey this happened." So they did the investigating and found out it was true. In the midst of that, the investigation by authorities also begins into the alleged blackmail.

After the report is aired, Greitens is charged with felony invasion of privacy for allegedly taking a blackmail picture. We don't know the details of the incident other than he wanted to have sex with her and took a naked pic and allegedly threatened her until this week when the Missouri House committee (five Rs, two Ds ... lololol) releases its report based on interviews with the woman, her ex, her friend and other evidence-gathering.

You can read the report here. The TL;DR summation is as follows

- She cut his hair and had a crush on him. He doesn't come in for five months, randomly makes an appointment and starts to inappropriately touch her.

- She's conflicted now because she's thinking he likes her too. So they have this weird back and forth and he refuses to meet her in public. So he invites her to his house early on a Saturday morning before she goes to work.

- He allegedly pats her down before she comes in the house, checks to see if anyone is following her outside after she comes in the back door and also takes her phone. He then has her change into "comfortable clothes" because he thinks a "workout" is best for her. He's going to teach her how to do a pullup. (this made me squirm).

- She does because she's not sure what else to do. He tapes her hands to pullup rings and takes her shirt off. She's blindfolded, he spits water into her mouth ... and anyway, he takes a picture. She remembers seeing the flash and then the threat happens.

- She's allegedly bawling and knows everything is FUBAR. So he "comforts" her and takes her to the floor, apparently. As she's crying, she then says he sticks his dick in her face and makes her satisfy him before she goes to work.

- She's pissed but they continue to do this dance. He then allegedly slaps her multiple times -- once after she admits she's had sex with her estranged husband in the aftermath of his alleged sexual assault -- and they continue this warped and awful affair until she's had enough.

- Oh this is allegedly happening right at the time his second child entered the world.

- And last thing -- his lawyers are claiming she has admitted that she was "aroused" during the pullup incident so therefore her claims are illegitimate. OK, that's weird because he's not being charged criminally with sexual assault. Not sure what that has to do with being blackmailed.

Anyway... it's gross. He needs to resign.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Rex wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:08 pm
Any stories of note of your second-most notorious classmate?
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Brontoburglar wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:59 am
How much hubris does this guy have that he didn't immediately resign and try to disappear off the face of the earth when these allegations and evidence came to light?
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Pruitt wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:26 am
How much hubris does this guy have that he didn't immediately resign and try to disappear off the face of the earth when these allegations and evidence came to light?
he called it a "witch hunt" three times in his prebuttal statement before the house report was released and said there would be more allegations and accusations forthcoming that were false

there's some serious malignant narcissism going on here
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Brontoburglar wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:17 am
he called it a "witch hunt" three times in his prebuttal statement before the house report was released and said there would be more allegations and accusations forthcoming that were false

Came here to post the bolded. In order for him to slink off, he'd have to think he did something wrong.
Noli Timere Messorem
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

He also said that 'the facts will all come out when he's allowed to tell his side of the story'.

He refused to meet with the Legislative committee that wrote that report.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

lol u libtards never herd of innocent unless proven guilty i guess that only applies to minoritys and muslims.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:34 am
Rex wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:08 pm
Any stories of note of your second-most notorious classmate?
Tucker stopped hanging out with law students (or maybe the other way around) after about 3 weeks, so nothing more than trying to start fights that in retrospect should have happened.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I feel like we missed the boat when we didn't start a thread devoted entirely to Trump's cabinet.

This guy is in a window licking contest with Pruitt for worst cabinet secretary.

https://theslot.jezebel.com/ryan-zinke- ... 1825318126
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:17 pm Mother fucker is a robot.

Not for nothing, but I was watching something where Zuck's face came up on screen with my wife and daughter and I said "he seems like he's on the spectrum" as kind of a joke.

Both of them incredulously said, OF COURSE he is, like I was some kind of moron.

I guess that's a commonly held belief?
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

It is. I don't believe he has ever confirmed it, but it was widely unofficially reported when The Social Network came out. Not exactly fair, but from what I've heard, he's similar to that in real life.

That's why I didnt feel comfortable with the memes and mocking of his facial expressions the past week. Put any autistic guy in a room like that, with all eyes and cameras on him, and of course, he's going to be very uneasy and unnatural.
Totally Kafkaesque
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

update

the Republican AG who is running for Senate vs. McCaskill says Greitens likely committed a felony in releasing the donor names of his vets' charity for political fundraising purposes. the AG has referred the case to an StL prosecutor because he says he doesn't have the authority but supports the prosecutor's efforts in charging Greitens

Greitens responds by saying the prosecutor is a liberal funded by Soros
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:30 pm

update

the Republican AG who is running for Senate vs. McCaskill says Greitens likely committed a felony in releasing the donor names of his vets' charity for political fundraising purposes. the AG has referred the case to an StL prosecutor because he says he doesn't have the authority but supports the prosecutor's efforts in charging Greitens

Is it safe to say that buddy is having some sort of breakdown?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:31 pm
Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:30 pm

update

Is it safe to say that buddy is having some sort of breakdown?
These "trump-lites" have no shame. My governor is one as well. Feels emboldened to say and do whatever they want in the current climate. It's sickening.