Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Re: Random Politics

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:05 am
Joe K wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:09 am
Pruitt wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:52 am I must say that considering the amount of very angry people with guns in the States, I am truly surprised that there hasn't been a shooting of a politician recently.
Scalise and Giffords?
I meant more recently.

You know, considering the absolute hatred people feel towards the last three presidents, you've got to figure the Secret Service does a pretty good job.
Yeah. I would love to hear about the potential attempts against Obama that the Secret Service stopped and kept quiet.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

So we're about 8 hours until the national media reports on Trump's STRONG AND UNEQUIVOCAL condemnation of what happened today at one of his authoritarian rallies, right?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

EnochRoot wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:15 am

Terrorism is coming to America, folks.
Um.

I am old enough to remember Oklahoma City. And abortion clinic bombings.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:42 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:15 am

Terrorism is coming to America, folks.
Um.

I am old enough to remember Oklahoma City. And abortion clinic bombings.
Yeah. I should’ve clarified that comment. Donald Trump is the worst president of all time, and we’ve not even begun to understand why that is.
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Can't wait to die right before hitting "Submit" on a post asking J-Lo if it counts as irony that the far right dipshits who spent decades in fear of terrorists are actually the ones who just set off the bomb I was hit by.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:37 pm So we're about 8 hours until the national media reports on Trump's STRONG AND UNEQUIVOCAL condemnation of what happened today at one of his authoritarian rallies, right?
Yup. When he mentions the Clintons, he'll egg on the "lock her up" chants. "And CNN [crowd boos]. Yes, fake news CNN had a bomb, I wish that one blew up, but I can't say that, right? Imagine that, if Enemy of the People Fake News CNN blew up... what a thing that would be, but they told me not to say that, but you people would like that, right? No more fake news CNN? It would be tremendous."
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Nah. He'll do that thing where the transcript says one thing but the mannerisms clearly say the other and the news will choose not to infer.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Yep.
"It was a terrible, terrible thing," the President said, his eyes rolled with sadness, as he repeatedly appeared to make cute invisible balloon animals near his pants.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Who knows if the story is even accurate, but the picture of the little girl in the caravan crying because she lost her stuffed animal just destroys me. Saw it yesterday then accidentally saw it again today.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:48 pm Who knows if the story is even accurate, but the picture of the little girl in the caravan crying because she lost her stuffed animal just destroys me. Saw it yesterday then accidentally saw it again today.
Just remind yourself she is a crisis actor paid for by George Soros.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:48 pm Who knows if the story is even accurate, but the picture of the little girl in the caravan crying because she lost her stuffed animal just destroys me. Saw it yesterday then accidentally saw it again today.
Yup. She's clearly a terrorist though.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Reports of voting machines in Georgia and Texas switching votes. Nice "democracy", America.

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:17 pm Reports of voting machines in Georgia and Texas switching votes. Nice "democracy", America.

It's a fucking joke.

Sorry - two years after an election where there were clear attempts to influence the election and no one, NO ONE, on either side made this an issue.

Nice democracy indeed. Stalin would have loved to have electronic voting machines.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Whoa.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Early vote totals are WAY up in most states. Nevada is on track to have more votes cast than in any election in its history (including presidential election years).

L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Yah mo votaz be there.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

By end of Saturday, more people had voted in El Paso than did in all of 2014.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'm just going to quietly point out that, assuming left turnout is higher and document-able, the only way to counter that would be to have or claim offsetting higher turnouts.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:43 pm I'm just going to quietly point out that, assuming left turnout is higher and document-able, the only way to counter that would be to have or claim offsetting higher turnouts.
Shit, all you have to do is screw up the voting machines and say, "The people have spoken!"
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

L-Jam3 wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:05 pm Yah mo votaz be there.
More votes in a non-presidental election year is unheard of, even with a growing population.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:55 pm
mister d wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:43 pm I'm just going to quietly point out that, assuming left turnout is higher and document-able, the only way to counter that would be to have or claim offsetting higher turnouts.
Shit, all you have to do is screw up the voting machines and say, "The people have spoken!"
In Nevada, the huge number of voters is from both parties, so here at least (other states may vary) the entire populace seems to be engaged. The good news is that the Clark County firewall of Dem voters keeps growing and growing and if it can get to about 45K by the end of early voting on Sunday then it's probably impossible for Heller to win (it's expected to be about 31K after today's voting).
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

brian wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:26 pm
L-Jam3 wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:05 pm Yah mo votaz be there.
More votes in a non-presidental election year is unheard of, even with a growing population.
That’s why Turd is the funniest person here. He never has to explain his jokes.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Is it a Michael McDonald joke?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Yup:

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

You guys have heard of Kyle Kulinski, right? For 30 the dude is really smart and aware of everything. He was on Rogan's podcast recently.

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The Green Party does something good for once.

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

There is a local congressional race (the district where Trump's NJ retreat is located which probably means nothing but is the sort of symbolic thing the media loves to make a big deal about) where long term GOP congressman Leonard Lance is in a tough race (my wife told me last week that I hung out socially with the Democratic challenger a couple of times years ago, back when he was still a firefighter and I didn't have kids and could hang out socially with adults) and I'm of course sick of the commercials but there is one in particular that I'm pissed I can't find because it ends with the goofiest shot of Lance and his wife staring at each other and then in unison turning to the camera to smile and he does this little head tilt and smile and makes me laugh every time I see it. Damn you Leonard Lance for not putting that one online!
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:29 am There is a local congressional race (the district where Trump's NJ retreat is located which probably means nothing but is the sort of symbolic thing the media loves to make a big deal about) where long term GOP congressman Leonard Lance is in a tough race (my wife told me last week that I hung out socially with the Democratic challenger a couple of times years ago, back when he was still a firefighter and I didn't have kids and could hang out socially with adults) and I'm of course sick of the commercials but there is one in particular that I'm pissed I can't find because it ends with the goofiest shot of Lance and his wife staring at each other and then in unison turning to the camera to smile and he does this little head tilt and smile and makes me laugh every time I see it. Damn you Leonard Lance for not putting that one online!
I live in that District (go Fighting 7th!), and both candidates commercials play constantly on youtube. My kids randomly act out the lines, and they have all of them memorized. "Tom Malinowski, bad on terrorism, bad for New Jersey." He seems like a slick Washington insider. I met him, and he was a total politician.

I hate Leonard Lance with a passion. He was trying to make a name for himself with disgusting Obama bashing. I'm sure I posted about it, but he authored and sponsored a bill to ban anyone from returning to the US who went into any of the ebola-ridden countries. He was on TV pushing the ebola fear mongering, blaming Obama and the Dems. I left a comment for him through his website, and to his credit, he actually called me to discuss. We talked for a long time, and he actually let me vent about how I thought he was playing partisan politics and stoking fears that the entire medical community said were bullshit. He calmly said he had a meeting with the CDC later that week, and he would have a better sense of the real danger. Full of shit, but he stood in and truly listened.

Very early in the Trump Presidency, Lance was all over the national cable news shows talking a good game about keeping Trump in check. Not sure what happened there, but he obviously hasn't. Interesting to see him go from a leading blatant partisan hack making shit up to attack Obama, to now running on a platform of being the most bipartisan Member of Congress. Shows what the impression of Trump is in the District he resides in over the summer. Marine One flies directly over my neighborhood, taking him from Newark Airport to Bedminster. Surprised how low it flies, along with 2 matching choppers, and how fucking loud it is.

ETA: I also have to give Lance props for continuing to hold Town Halls in the face of rabid constituents yelling at him. When tickets ran out to attend, he scheduled additional dates and broadcast live on the internet. When other GOP Congressmen cancelled and refused to hold town halls, Lance kept it going. Still, I would love to see someone finally push him out.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The way he writes "Vote!" at the end makes me pause.

Yesterday he wrote this:

"Vote your conscience!" makes me pause too.

Can you imagine if the same dude runs his account and Donald Trump's and this was all a simulation?

Oh, Cruz responded, btw:

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

A former director of the CIA smeared as a communist.

Sadly, fully believable.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Turnout in Clark County today being described as “ridiculous”. Sounds like Culinary Union and other unions in Las Vegas have been “saving” GOTV for today and tomorrow (the last two days of early voting) in an attempt to try and convince Republicans to not bother voting on Election Day. Totals won’t be available until tonight but Clark firewall might be 40K+ before Saturday.

TL;DR: Dean Heller’s career might well already be done.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Just after I posted saw this.

If this country is saved it will be in part to the stubborn persistence of organized labor to not be killed.

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

brian wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:39 pm If this country is saved it will be in part to the stubborn persistence of organized labor to not be killed.
Agreed. I posted about this a few months ago, but I was so impressed and encouraged by the way Missouri’s labor unions kicked some serious ass to defeat a “right to work” ballot initiative here. This is an increasingly red state and that proposal got destroyed due to the persistence of the unions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:23 pm Dude, what the fuck.

Brian Kemp’s Office Announces Investigation of Georgia Democratic Party
Typical. And if he wins, this "investigation" will disappear, never heard from again, while people will assume it was true.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I had an idea for a scam like this. Only sorry I didn't have the balls to go through with it.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

brian wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:24 pm

I had an idea for a scam like this. Only sorry I didn't have the balls to go through with it.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

brian wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:33 pm Turnout in Clark County today being described as “ridiculous”. Sounds like Culinary Union and other unions in Las Vegas have been “saving” GOTV for today and tomorrow (the last two days of early voting) in an attempt to try and convince Republicans to not bother voting on Election Day. Totals won’t be available until tonight but Clark firewall might be 40K+ before Saturday.

Let's fucking hope so. I was out canvassing for our local (doomed) Dem congressional candidate all weekend. Most people who answered their doors had already voted (by mail), so I'm not sure what I accomplished. But at the least, there is one Latina voter (who lived ten years in Puerto Rico) who didn't know who the candidates were. I told her we were the ones fighting Trump, and wrote down the address of her polling place. I hope she will follow through.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:13 pm
brian wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:33 pm Turnout in Clark County today being described as “ridiculous”. Sounds like Culinary Union and other unions in Las Vegas have been “saving” GOTV for today and tomorrow (the last two days of early voting) in an attempt to try and convince Republicans to not bother voting on Election Day. Totals won’t be available until tonight but Clark firewall might be 40K+ before Saturday.

Let's fucking hope so. I was out canvassing for our local (doomed) Dem congressional candidate all weekend. Most people who answered their doors had already voted (by mail), so I'm not sure what I accomplished. But at the least, there is one Latina voter (who lived ten years in Puerto Rico) who didn't know who the candidates were. I told her we were the ones fighting Trump, and wrote down the address of her polling place. I hope she will follow through.
Good for you for volunteering and getting out there. I've had at least 5 teams of people come to my door, all Dems. I saw a recent demographic, and my town is the most Conservative in the county. While there are slightly more registered Dems than Republicans, there are more unaffiliated registered voters than Republicans. I found that surprising. For some reason, the Town Council and Mayoral seat have only been filled by Republicans for about 20 years. The Dems are building steam every year, actually, I think a Dem won a seat on the Council last year. Anyways, a TC candidate same to my door last week. I know the guy, so it was pointless. Then yesterday while I raked my leaves, I was approached 3 times in less than an hour by volunteers telling me where my polling station is located. One on behalf of the Dem mayoral and TC candidates, one on behalf of the Congressional Rep, and one for the County Freeholder candidates. Then when I stepped out today, I had fliers from the Town Democrat Committee stating the polling location. Crazy, I have never seen anything like this.

Also crazy that the Republicans haven't sent anyone out, just a mailed flier bashing the Dem's mayoral candidate because she worked as a PAID LOBBYIST!?! Then it had some comments about the TC candidates that they say are outright lies. The fun part, the flier doesn't state who paid for it, which violates campaign finance laws. The Dem mayoral candidate submitted an open letter asking the Republicans to condemn the lies, and asking for the person/group responsible for the mailer to take responsibility, otherwise they will file a complaint with the Election Board. The Town FB forum is lighting up. See the fun you are missing, Mr. D?
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I love conservatives, man. Pete Davidson made fun of a few politicians on SNL.

And conservatives shit a chicken because he made fun of Dan Crenshaw because his sustained aneye injury was from an IED that went off during deployment. Hannity said everyone on SNL could go to hell.

But when Trump treats the widow of LaDavid Johnson like shit after a botched mission in Africa led to his death, crickets. Fuck these assholes.