Random Politics

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Pruitt
The Dude

Re: Random Politics

Post by Pruitt »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:15 pm
mister d wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:28 pm Republicans can’t harm the troops because republicans love the troops. Factual.
Big facts.

Also, this is a big deal.

I don't know - not a big deal to the Caucus, they'll probably be happy not to have to hold their tongues any more.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Lol. Also that comment has 61x Reddit Platinum, 41x Reddit Gold, and 16x Reddit Silver. I don't remember the last time I've seen a comment or post gilded that much.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:27 am

Lol. Also that comment has 61x Reddit Platinum, 41x Reddit Gold, and 16x Reddit Silver. I don't remember the last time I've seen a comment or post gilded that much.
What was it? Apparently so mean the mods removed it
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

BSF21 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:09 am
Johnnie wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:27 am

What was it? Apparently so mean the mods removed it
"Finally Senator McConnell brings a motion to the floor."

I knew I should have screenshot it.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Would have been better a few inches in whichever direction moves the injury to above his neck.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:56 am Would have been better a few inches in whichever direction moves the injury to above his neck.
Would have been beautiful.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Oh, this is just dandy.

ETA:

This too.

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"Blood and honour" would be a good slogan for these maggots.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This tweet triggered the fuck out of the right:

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:24 am This tweet triggered the fuck out of the right:

Name and shame!

Love it.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

mister d wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:25 pm There's always going to be people whose full personalities are shaped by bigotry and are obvious garbage, but for all the other "regular person" Trump cheerleaders, the bottom falls out when there are ramifications beyond the debate. Counting on it not affecting anything else is imperative to them keeping at it.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

It’s absurd that people (including supposedly nonpartisan journalists) are complaining that Castro “doxxed” these donors. The whole reason that campaign donations are public information is because it’s in the public interest to know who is giving money to pols. There’s nothing new about that. For years one of the first things that came up if you Googled my name was that I gave money to Obama in 2008.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Far more than they rely on the red hats, they rely on the quiet support of those people who know enough to be embarrassed.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Joe K wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:52 am It’s absurd that people (including supposedly nonpartisan journalists) are complaining that Castro “doxxed” these donors. The whole reason that campaign donations are public information is because it’s in the public interest to know who is giving money to pols. There’s nothing new about that. For years one of the first things that came up if you Googled my name was that I gave money to Obama in 2008.
I laughed at all the allegations of "doxxing," it's fucking public information! Might as well give out phone numbers listed in the white pages.

mister d wrote:Far more than they rely on the red hats, they rely on the quiet support of those people who know enough to be embarrassed.
Love this line. Also love hearing idiots in red hats boast that Trump is completely self-funded, while wearing a hat purchased on Trump's campaign site! Fucking morons. Trump started collecting campaign donations for 2020 before his inauguration FFS!
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

mister d wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:12 am Far more than they rely on the red hats, they rely on the quiet support of those people who know enough to be embarrassed.
And if suddenly, they lost a significant part of their customer base via boycotts, then who knows?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yup. Those two groups agree on hate/apathy and self-interest, but not on the ordering.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Two good quotes in relation to this, both alluded to in comments above that sum it up:

1) That's why they wear hoods at rallies.

2) Ever notice how the poor are proud to announce their support, but the rich are embarrassed?

Ultimately, this needs to constantly happen. Like when the Parkland kids listed advertisers of Fox News after one of the umpteenth shitty comments from Laura Ingaham.

Also, all the info is pulled from here: www.opensecrets.org

ETA:

If I'm Joaquin Castro right now I'm trolling the fuck out of every person bitching and moaning right now.

In response to Dana Loesch: "Just consider this the Raised Middle Finger of Truth." with crying laughing emojis.

In response to Maggie Haberman: "I did more investigative journalism in 12 seconds on Open Secrets than you have your entire career, MAGA Haberman. Where's my Pulitzer?"

In response to Erick Erickson: "I see you've taken time away from worrying about Mayor Pete's bedroom activities to concern yourself with something that actually matters. Good job!"

In response to Mark Davis who called this a "terroristic threat," a photo of Inigo Montoya with the famous phrase "You Keep Using That Word, I Do Not Think It Means What You Think It Means."

And so on.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

There are few things I enjoy greater in my professional and online life than using an adversary's words against him. Especially people who use the same phrases all the time.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Hey guys, maybe this is what'll sink me.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Joe K wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:52 am It’s absurd that people (including supposedly nonpartisan journalists) are complaining that Castro “doxxed” these donors. The whole reason that campaign donations are public information is because it’s in the public interest to know who is giving money to pols. There’s nothing new about that. For years one of the first things that came up if you Googled my name was that I gave money to Obama in 2008.
Exactly. I'm proud to share who I've donated to (though as a public official (of sorts)) I have to be a little careful in being overly vocal and public about it.

But, yeah, I gave money to about a dozen hot spot campaigns in 2018 and have no problem with anyone knowing.

Why, if Trump is such a great person/politician, is it such a big issue that people be made aware of these people's donation history. Fuck that shit.

Your vote is, by law, private. But you're a damn dummy if you don't understand that your donations are not.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Yeah, the only benefit of trying to make it look like this was something devious is to convince people who don't know better that it was devious.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I went down a rabbit hole of looking up donations for people I know today. The FEC website is pretty easy to use.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:57 pm
Exactly. I'm proud to share who I've donated to (though as a public official (of sorts)) I have to be a little careful in being overly vocal and public about it.

But, yeah, I gave money to about a dozen hot spot campaigns in 2018 and have no problem with anyone knowing.

Why, if Trump is such a great person/politician, is it such a big issue that people be made aware of these people's donation history. Fuck that shit.

Your vote is, by law, private. But you're a damn dummy if you don't understand that your donations are not.
Amen.

If you are embarrassed about who you donate to, than what's the big deal?

Also, these are the fuckers who wallow in the filth and who use lies, distortions and whatever other synonyms you can think of. Funny how throwing truth in their face makes them scream "foul."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The "Fuck Your Feelings" people are upset that public records show their support for their "Fuck Your Feelings" candidate.

'Murica!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This is great. Dude is trending right now.

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kack?s=09

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:52 pm This is great. Dude is trending right now.

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kack?s=09

Love that guy!

Also - don;t you hate when people prove stereotypes? See the super big gulp of pepsi (1,000 calories worth) being held by the harpy's mate?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I mean, it could be diet Pepsi.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:18 pm I mean, it could be diet Pepsi.
The choice of a new generation...

Of mouth breathers
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:14 pm

Also - don;t you hate when people prove stereotypes? See the super big gulp of pepsi (1,000 calories worth) being held by the harpy's mate?
That was my biggest takeaway. OTOH, you get an extra 50 oz of poison for 10 cents more. You'd be an idiot NOT to super big gulp it!

The Rights Sanctuary City talking points drive me nuts, because it is just factually backwards (but I have a right to my opinion!). Being a sanctuary city is actually following the laws, because ICE and the Federal government are demanding local law enforcement do the work that only specific agencies in the Federal government are authorized to perform. I'm sure if I calmly explained it to that MAGA-hatted woman she would listen, understand, and agree.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The Chapo Trap House subreddit was quarantined.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:14 pm The Chapo Trap House subreddit was quarantined.
Why?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:08 pm
Pruitt wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:14 pm

That was my biggest takeaway. OTOH, you get an extra 50 oz of poison for 10 cents more. You'd be an idiot NOT to super big gulp it!

The Rights Sanctuary City talking points drive me nuts, because it is just factually backwards (but I have a right to my opinion!). Being a sanctuary city is actually following the laws, because ICE and the Federal government are demanding local law enforcement do the work that only specific agencies in the Federal government are authorized to perform. I'm sure if I calmly explained it to that MAGA-hatted woman she would listen, understand, and agree.
I have a VERY unfair rule that if you are over the age of, say, 22 and you are buying anything over Big Gulp size, you are a mouthbreather.

I used to PUMMEL super big gulps. At a certain point, that just started getting me feeling sick. If I need that much caffeine, I'll get a coffee. If I'm that thirsty, buy a Gatorade or water or something.

To the point that now, I often don't finish a 16 oz bottle in one sitting.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I don't drink a whole lot of soda that doesn't have bourbon in it, but for a long car ride I'll get the biggest cup they have no question.

Granted, I get gatorade as often as soda, but I am an east KY boy and I gotta do the dew from time to time.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

A_B wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:42 am I don't drink a whole lot of soda that doesn't have bourbon in it, but for a long car ride I'll get the biggest cup they have no question.

Granted, I get gatorade as often as soda, but I am an east KY boy and I gotta do the dew from time to time.
A couple of weeks ago my wife and I took trip down to Marion, VA (a few more miles and we would've been in NW North Carolina.)

I got a chuckle about the number of gas stations (many shuttered) that had Mountain Dew signage prominently displayed. It was odd.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:31 am
Johnnie wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:14 pm The Chapo Trap House subreddit was quarantined.
Why?
"Inciting violence" or some shit. It's ridiculous.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I enjoy a Super Big Gulp from time to time (usually Coke Zero, though sometimes Diet Mountain Dew depending upon availability) and won't apologize for it.

More important, here's an analysis of why Texas might be in play for the Democratic candidate in 2020.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

That's why the DNC needs to put a horse's head under Beto's sheets to help convince him to drop out and run for Cornyn's seat.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:29 am That's why the DNC needs to put a horse's head under Beto's sheets to help convince him to drop out and run for Cornyn's seat.
Agreed, though one of the Castro brothers might provide a pretty decent boost to that part of the ticket as well. There's an argument to be made that Beto at the top of the ticket and Joaquin running against Cornyn might enough to turn Texas blue (for 2020 at least), so I'm not ready to dismiss Beto's swing at the big job just yet*. But he'd have time to file to run for the Senate seat if he didn't finish in the top two in one of the four February primaries (NH, IA, NV, SC).

*He can't come out and say it, but this is the nuclear bomb of electoral politics. I realize life doesn't work like this, but if you knew that Beto would beat Trump in Texas but one of the other candidates *might* beat him there, then almost any argument you could make in favor of any other Democratic candidate is immediately void. I get there are policy differences and whatnot, but anyone should trade what would be an almost 99 percent chance of Trump losing the entire election for the uncertainly involved in having to run the table in the upper Midwest, especially if Beto's coattails led to Cornyn losing his seat and probably flipping the Senate.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Even if Beto and/or Castro were on the ticket, I can’t imagine any scenario where Texas is a decisive state In the 2020 Presidential Election. Any scenario where Texas is legitimately in play would likely be a landslide for the Democratic candidate, with that person sweeping the Midwest, Florida and North Carolina. I’d much rather see the Democratic ticket pour everything into the upper Midwest, Virginia, Florida and North Carolina rather than trying to flip red states. The colossal mistake that the Clinton campaign made was spending lots of resources on red states like Arizona instead of just protecting the must-win states that Obama won twice.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

That's probably true, but not necessarily. The argument from the article is that Texas is changing so quickly that it's not really hewing to demographic trends politically in other states or moving in lockstep with the national trendlines. This happens from time to time and isn't necessarily proof of a long-term trend like we've seen in California moving from a state that Bush won in 1988 to now where the idea of almost any Republican winning California is completely laughable.

If you look at the performance of the GOP in the suburbs nationally for the 2018 midterm election, that adds fuel to the fire that the red state with the largest collection of suburbia in the country could be in play. The article goes to great lengths to point out that Trump's strengths tend to play best in those upper Midwest states and might actually be holding him back in places like Texas and Georgia.

All that said, I mostly agree with the premise that if Texas is legitimately in play then Trump is in trouble. Hell, the fact that the GOP might have to spend tens of millions of dollars there just to ensure a win there could be a good thing as far as diverting resources away from other swing states as long as the Democrats aren't wasting resources there that could be used elsewhere.