Random Politics

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: Random Politics

Post by The Sybian »

What a shame, he seemed like such a great guy. Funny how all the "I'm going to expose corruption and clean up government" guys are the most corrupt. Drain the Swamp!

An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I know it sounds ridiculous but I think Beto has a real chance. Like he might only be 3 to 1 or so against at this point. Blah blah blah flawed candidate Roy Moore but if a D can win in Alabama, anything is possible. Latinos are mobilizing and the black vote has always been soft in Texas for various reasons (some legit) but they might turnout as well.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:35 pm What a shame, he seemed like such a great guy. Funny how all the "I'm going to expose corruption and clean up government" guys are the most corrupt. Drain the Swamp!

the go-to defense in this has been how the prosecutor has Soros ties, so ... yeah, things are going well in the Missouri GOP

feels like you're losing if you're immediately going with the Soros card
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

brian wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:31 am

I know it sounds ridiculous but I think Beto has a real chance. Like he might only be 3 to 1 or so against at this point. Blah blah blah flawed candidate Roy Moore but if a D can win in Alabama, anything is possible. Latinos are mobilizing and the black vote has always been soft in Texas for various reasons (some legit) but they might turnout as well.
Ted's primary challenger did an AMA. He received the Dallas Morning News endorsement last week.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Brontoburglar wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:06 pmfeels like you're losing if you're immediately going with the Soros card
The first time I ever heard this dude's name out was from a Breitshart conspiracy theorist.

And to be honest, I still I have no idea who he is. But if he's the billionaire that props up the Democratic party what's the difference between him and the Mercers, the Koch brothers, Murdoch, and Sheldon Adelson on the right?
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Johnnie wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:14 pmBut if he's the billionaire that props up the Democratic party what's the difference between him and the Mercers, the Koch brothers, Murdoch, and Sheldon Adelson on the right?
He's Jewish.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

That, and Republicans are abject fucking hypocrites.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:37 pm
Johnnie wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:14 pmBut if he's the billionaire that props up the Democratic party what's the difference between him and the Mercers, the Koch brothers, Murdoch, and Sheldon Adelson on the right?
He's Jewish.
Ohhhh. Globalist cuck. I get it now.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

He's Jewish.
Far less Jewish than Adelson. But you know, Adelson is the right kind of Jew for these folks - a soulless money-grubber.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:56 am
He's Jewish.
Far less Jewish than Adelson. But you know, Adelson is the right kind of Jew for these folks - a soulless money-grubber.

He Jewish, but sort of anti-Jewishness...and not a fan of Israel.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Brontoburglar wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:35 pm
A_B wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:17 pm So...did Missouri's governor just get arrested?
based on the indictment they totally got the hard drive where he transferred the pic
update: list of items in discovery was released last night. No. 10 of 13 is the picture.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:52 am
A_B wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:17 pm So...did Missouri's governor just get arrested?
based on the indictment they totally got the hard drive where he transferred the pic
update: list of items in discovery was released last night. No. 10 of 13 is the picture.
update: he has hired a lobbyist to lobby the legislature against impeaching him

(that commercial a page back starts with "“Too long Missouri has been run by career politicians, owned by corrupt consultants, high-paid lobbyists, and special interests.”)

ETA: this is a good link on how fucked he is http://www.kansascity.com/opinion/opn-c ... 92849.html
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:39 am
Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:52 am
update: he has hired a lobbyist to lobby the legislature against impeaching him

(that commercial a page back starts with "“Too long Missouri has been run by career politicians, owned by corrupt consultants, high-paid lobbyists, and special interests.”)

ETA: this is a good link on how fucked he is http://www.kansascity.com/opinion/opn-c ... 92849.html
Wow! I'm no lawyer, but those arguments are what you'd expect from a belligerent drunk at 3 a.m. and not from a legal team with a strong case.
Greitens’ lawyers also say the woman couldn’t expect privacy in the now-famous basement. “One cannot have an expectation of privacy in a common area of another person’s home,” they argue.

“In such a place,” they continue, “there is an obvious expectation that one would be viewed by the person she is visiting, or even recorded on devices used for routine security.”

Wow. I don’t know about you, but I don’t automatically assume I’m being watched by hidden cameras in someone else’s living room.

But the reasoning is appalling for another reason. It suggests that taking pictures and videos is fine in Missouri, even without consent, if someone has sexual activity in a “common area” inside a private home. That can’t be what lawmakers intended.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

TX primaries see major spike in DEM turnout.

Reckoning.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics ... ng-turnout
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:46 pm TX primaries see major spike in DEM turnout.

Reckoning.

I don't know anything about Beto O'Rourke, but I hope he is a good candidate. He is bringing in a shocking amount of money, and I read that he is drawing huge crowds. I don't know how much of this is Beto earning it versus Ted Cruz being a vile, heinous POS and people are willing to rally around anyone. I'm thrilled to see the turnout and donations, I just hope Beto isn't a a lightweight or hiding skeletons and ready to crash and burn. If this is a close race, I'm curious to see if the GOP rallies to support Cruz, because losing a seat in Texas would be monumental, or if they half ass the support, because even Republicans can't stand Ted Cruz.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Regardless of how they feel about Cruz it will be scorched earth to keep the seat. The Texas and national GOP might assume (not incorrectly) that if a statewide seat in Texas goes blue it might never go back to the GOP. Texas is a timebomb waiting to go off in the GOP's face and sooner or later it's going to blow up, but it could happen sooner with the right sequence of events (like say, an unlikable incumbent; a buffoonish GOP president who insults Latinos at every turn; an intelligent, experienced, amiable Democratic challenger. Something like that.)
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Whoa! Mike Huckabee forced to resign from Country Music Association Charity Board after one day, due to backlash against Huckabee's anti-gay opinions. Look at this quote:
What a terrible disappointment to see (the CMA Foundation’s) mission clouded by the decision to align with someone who so frequently engages in the language of racism, sexism, and bigotry,” Whitney Pastorek, a CMA member and manager of the popular country band Sugarland, wrote to the association prior to Huckabee’s resignation.

“While Gov. Huckabee’s tenure in Arkansas may have resulted in valuable education reform over a decade ago, I find his choice to spend the past ten years profiting off messages of exclusion and hatred (not to mention the gun lobby) to be disqualifying,”
Damn, Huckabee is too inflammatory for the country music community because he is homophobic, racists and pro-gun? Maybe things are changing.
-Pruitt
Moreta
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Moreta »

The Michigan gubernatorial race is terrifying me. It should be a win for Democrats; Blue wave and all that, plus the current Republican administration poisoning a whole city. However, there’s a Democratic primary battle brewing between a far left male progressive and a more mainstream female candidate. The progressive also happens to be Muslim, and there have already been questions about his residency (he taught at Columbia within the time he would have been required to be a Michigan resident to run this year).

I don’t know if Abdul El-Sayed can win a general election in a Michigan, especially with residency issues hanging over him. And I don’t know if Gretchen Whitmer has enough of what the base wants to drive turnout.

Ugh.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:34 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:46 pm TX primaries see major spike in DEM turnout.

Reckoning.

I don't know anything about Beto O'Rourke, but I hope he is a good candidate. He is bringing in a shocking amount of money, and I read that he is drawing huge crowds. I don't know how much of this is Beto earning it versus Ted Cruz being a vile, heinous POS and people are willing to rally around anyone. I'm thrilled to see the turnout and donations, I just hope Beto isn't a a lightweight or hiding skeletons and ready to crash and burn. If this is a close race, I'm curious to see if the GOP rallies to support Cruz, because losing a seat in Texas would be monumental, or if they half ass the support, because even Republicans can't stand Ted Cruz.
He's one of the guys I gave some money to awhile ago, so I'm getting a steady stream of stuff from him.

Real. Deal. He's earnest and accessible. Only issue is if he has enough gravitas.

But is he a real threat? Fuck yeah he is. And please know that I don't throw bullshit around, despite how I know I am coming across to some of the doom and gloom folks. There are weak candidate and people with issues and I'll be right there saying where it's a problem. This guy is for real.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:44 pm Whoa! Mike Huckabee forced to resign from Country Music Association Charity Board after one day, due to backlash against Huckabee's anti-gay opinions. Look at this quote:
What a terrible disappointment to see (the CMA Foundation’s) mission clouded by the decision to align with someone who so frequently engages in the language of racism, sexism, and bigotry,” Whitney Pastorek, a CMA member and manager of the popular country band Sugarland, wrote to the association prior to Huckabee’s resignation.

“While Gov. Huckabee’s tenure in Arkansas may have resulted in valuable education reform over a decade ago, I find his choice to spend the past ten years profiting off messages of exclusion and hatred (not to mention the gun lobby) to be disqualifying,”
Damn, Huckabee is too inflammatory for the country music community because he is homophobic, racists and pro-gun? Maybe things are changing.
Kind of apropos of... something tangential? I'm watching the latest iteration of Queer Eye for the Straight Guy and I encourage you guys to check it out. The first two episodes are about making over GA rednecks and it is really moving, not just that these guys are so open to the experience, but how open those around them are, too.

Pretty cool, even if very limited in scope in terms of the needle moving on this issue.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

On Beto, the Pod Save America guys had him on before and they have an upcoming Texas tour in 4 cities. Expect him to be a guest again.

On Huckabee, it probably doesn't help things that his daughter is the fucking president's press secretary. And there was a massacre at a country music festival recently in Las Vegas. Sooooo, I'm sure his opinion follows the standard GOP talking points (although I cannot find a source for my assumption).
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:09 am On Beto, the Pod Save America guys had him on before and they have an upcoming Texas tour in 4 cities. Expect him to be a guest again.

On Huckabee, it probably doesn't help things that his daughter is the fucking president's press secretary. And there was a massacre at a country music festival recently in Las Vegas. Sooooo, I'm sure his opinion follows the standard GOP talking points (although I cannot find a source for my assumption).
His opinions are far worse than the standard GOP talking points. He takes an extreme Christian Fundamentalist view, and actively works to hold back gay rights. He made a show of walking out of the jail with the Kentucky clerk who refused to sign gay marriage licences, he lead a campaign fighting transgendered bathroom rights by having the Duggar's record a robocall with horrible lies essentially saying voting yes guarantees all children will be raped by gay men. The list goes on, but he is far worse than the standard GOP.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Beto's great, but the race I'm surprised doesn't get more play is WI-01.

You've got a non-zero chance that a sitting Speaker of the House will be voted out of office by an ironworker. If that's not rife with symbolism and ultimately the race the midterms will (hopefully) be remembered by then I don't know what is.

And before you pooh-pooh Bryce's chances remember it was only 52-47 Romney in 2012 and 53-42 Trump in 2016 (Obama actually carried it in 2008). Swinging the district 12 points with the way things have been going (and with Ryan as an avatar of the neutered, ineffectual GOP Congress) it's probably not a longshot.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Randy Bryce was on Pod Save America too. He's awesome. And he's a veteran. They talk about him as well. I'm very clued into the goings on of the Iron Stache. Missed with the rumor that Ryan ispossibly retiring, and it's intriguing.

Problem is even as of yesterday (or today still, I'm 11.5 hours ahead right now), the mainstream media refers to both as "Democratic challengers."

Like on NPR, for example.

Edit:

Teen Vogue (yes them. They employ Lauren Duca who went on Tucker Carlson and got completely insulted because she stood up for herself) uses Beto's name in a headline:

Ted Cruz Challenger Beto O'Rourke Is Out to Change Texas Politics
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:38 pm Beto's great, but the race I'm surprised doesn't get more play is WI-01.

You've got a non-zero chance that a sitting Speaker of the House will be voted out of office by an ironworker. If that's not rife with symbolism and ultimately the race the midterms will (hopefully) be remembered by then I don't know what is.

And before you pooh-pooh Bryce's chances remember it was only 52-47 Romney in 2012 and 53-42 Trump in 2016 (Obama actually carried it in 2008). Swinging the district 12 points with the way things have been going (and with Ryan as an avatar of the neutered, ineffectual GOP Congress) it's probably not a longshot.
I've seen more of the Iron Stache than any other candidate. He seems like the real deal, and has the populist bent that could attract the type of Republicans that fell for Trump's act, but are smart enough to realize Trump is an idiot with no interest in helping them.
-Pruitt
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:51 pm Randy Bryce was on Pod Save America too. He's awesome. And he's a veteran. They talk about him as well. I'm very clued into the goings on of the Iron Stache. Missed with the rumor that Ryan ispossibly retiring, and it's intriguing.

Problem is even as of yesterday (or today still, I'm 11.5 hours ahead right now), the mainstream media refers to both as "Democratic challengers."

Like on NPR, for example.

Edit:

Teen Vogue (yes them. They employ Lauren Duca who went on Tucker Carlson and got completely insulted because she stood up for herself) uses Beto's name in a headline:

Ted Cruz Challenger Beto O'Rourke Is Out to Change Texas Politics
CNN has somebody tagging along with Beto the last few days on the trail, just ran a 3 or 4 minute feature segment on the guy.
Moreta
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Moreta »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:10 am
Huh. My mom must have gotten arrested with Randy Bryce. She’s collecting quite a list of co-arrestees.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

What a cool mom!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

P.D.X. wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:37 pm Steve needs to get on the phone again.
Name the highway after the guy who will be responsible for destroying it.

Fuck man, maybe Marx was right
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:39 pm

God, what a fucking disgrace. And these morons have the gall to say that Trump shrunk the monuments because he cares so much about the working folks in Southern Utah. Yeah, I'm sure that's it.

I am friends with a lawyer who represents the counties and resource extractors down there, and he had a credible explanation for why it made sense to shrink Bears Ears, and part of Grand Staircase too. The areas with artifacts that need protecting can be (and are) protected under regular BLM management, and the publicity that comes with a monument designation actually leads to more destruction because more people go there. My problem with his explanation is that while I would trust *his* judgment and good faith on the issue, there is no way I can trust the judgment of the people making the decisions.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:45 am
Pruitt wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:39 pm

God, what a fucking disgrace. And these morons have the gall to say that Trump shrunk the monuments because he cares so much about the working folks in Southern Utah. Yeah, I'm sure that's it.

I am friends with a lawyer who represents the counties and resource extractors down there, and he had a credible explanation for why it made sense to shrink Bears Ears, and part of Grand Staircase too. The areas with artifacts that need protecting can be (and are) protected under regular BLM management, and the publicity that comes with a monument designation actually leads to more destruction because more people go there. My problem with his explanation is that while I would trust *his* judgment and good faith on the issue, there is no way I can trust the judgment of the people making the decisions.
Yeah, I'd have a lot more faith in their wisdom if these dirtbags like Zinke didn't also then turn around and talk about getting rid of the BLM and nonsense like that.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Is there a legitimate argument against globalism or is it just to keep us away from icky brown people?
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

P.D.X. wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:24 pm Is there a legitimate argument against globalism or is it just to keep us away from icky brown people?
Depends on how it's defined, but I think there's definitely an argument that our country is better off if it's more difficult for corporations to ship jobs overseas where they can pay dirt for wages and face no liability for worker deaths, pollution, etc.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:30 pm
P.D.X. wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:24 pm Is there a legitimate argument against globalism or is it just to keep us away from icky brown people?
Depends on how it's defined, but I think there's definitely an argument that our country is better off if it's more difficult for corporations to ship jobs overseas where they can pay dirt for wages and face no liability for worker deaths, pollution, etc.
How do they square that with being pro- free markets?
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

P.D.X. wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:43 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:30 pm
How do they square that with being pro- free markets?
Maybe I'm missing something, but I think the "pro-free markets" folks are the globalists, and vice versa.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Isn't a common right wing stance to be both for free markets and be anti-globalist?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

P.D.X. wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:28 pm Isn't a common right wing stance to be both for free markets and be anti-globalist?
Yeah, that's something I've never been able to square, but the truth is being a right-winger these days requires all kind of intellectual dishonestly and mobius-strip type logic to be "tough on crime" and "OK with molesting 14-year-old girls".
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

brian wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:30 pm
P.D.X. wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:28 pm Isn't a common right wing stance to be both for free markets and be anti-globalist?
Yeah, that's something I've never been able to square, but the truth is being a right-winger these days requires all kind of intellectual dishonestly and mobius-strip type logic to be "tough on crime" and "OK with molesting 14-year-old girls".
It depends on which right wingers you're talking about. The money-first right wingers say they are for free markets (they aren't) and are globalist, and don't say much about immigration because they favor it (it makes them money).

The white nationalist right wingers are anti-globalist and anti-immigrant (duh), but I don't know how much they talk about free markets, except when using it as a cudgel against liberalism (civil rights laws).

Basically no one is really in favor of free markets, like no one is really in favor of states' rights. It's all about the substantive issue.