Random Politics

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, DaveInSeattle, rass

Johnnie
The Dude
Posts: 12073
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: ABQ, BITCH!

Re: Random Politics

Post by Johnnie » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:39 am

If I were better prepared, maybe I would've gotten around to mentioning that just because a city in California has a lot of people doesn't mean that they are all liberals. 3 on 1 debates are hard enough when I can't even make a point and the topic changes.

But the premise of all their notions was "conservatives better, we need a baked in advantage because America is so liberal."

That's not even a fair base to even start a discussion.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.

User avatar
L-Jam3
Donny
Posts: 2789
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:43 am

Re: Random Politics

Post by L-Jam3 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:56 am

Just simply ask them if they'd be cool with it if Trump won the national vote but lost the electoral college vote.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Andre "The Hawk" Dawson with 438.

Johnnie
The Dude
Posts: 12073
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: ABQ, BITCH!

Re: Random Politics

Post by Johnnie » Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:04 pm

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.

Johnnie
The Dude
Posts: 12073
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: ABQ, BITCH!

Re: Random Politics

Post by Johnnie » Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:04 pm

L-Jam3 wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:56 am
Just simply ask them if they'd be cool with it if Trump won the national vote but lost the electoral college vote.
I'll have to do that next time.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.

Johnnie
The Dude
Posts: 12073
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: ABQ, BITCH!

Re: Random Politics

Post by Johnnie » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:06 am

Wait, what?

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.

User avatar
Nonlinear FC
The Dude
Posts: 6348
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:09 pm

Re: Random Politics

Post by Nonlinear FC » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:13 am

Never has a thread title matched a post more than this one.

WTF.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 21989
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: El lugar de ser
Contact:

Re: Random Politics

Post by brian » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:14 am


User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 16524
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Random Politics

Post by Pruitt » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:24 am

brian wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:14 am
Oh my!

Add to the fact that Limbaugh will be worm meat soon, and that is so delicious.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."

P.D.X.
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3770
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:31 pm

Re: Random Politics

Post by P.D.X. » Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:16 am

Pruitt wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:24 am
Add to the fact that Limbaugh will be worm meat soon, and that is so delicious.
phrasing

P.D.X.
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3770
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:31 pm

Re: Random Politics

Post by P.D.X. » Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:50 pm

Finally looked at the local measures. We're getting wolves!

Johnnie
The Dude
Posts: 12073
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: ABQ, BITCH!

Re: Random Politics

Post by Johnnie » Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:44 pm



Image
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.

Johnnie
The Dude
Posts: 12073
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: ABQ, BITCH!

Re: Random Politics

Post by Johnnie » Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:04 pm

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.

User avatar
EnochRoot
Donny
Posts: 2837
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: Random Politics

Post by EnochRoot » Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:37 pm

Johnnie wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:04 pm
Par for the course, he insisted on a face to face meeting.

Johnnie
The Dude
Posts: 12073
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: ABQ, BITCH!

Re: Random Politics

Post by Johnnie » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:37 am

I've never seen this. It's hilarious.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.

Johnnie
The Dude
Posts: 12073
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: ABQ, BITCH!

Re: Random Politics

Post by Johnnie » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:50 am

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 21989
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: El lugar de ser
Contact:

Re: Random Politics

Post by brian » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:46 am

This has the potential for some serious comedy.


User avatar
Nonlinear FC
The Dude
Posts: 6348
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:09 pm

Re: Random Politics

Post by Nonlinear FC » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:48 am

brian wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:46 am
This has the potential for some serious comedy.

You know, in all my barely contained anxiety, I was pretty optimistic Biden would win. But I wasn't really able to focus on what that might look like.

I anticipated that Trump would further undermine the office (and himself, mostly) by bitching about losing. But my brain wasn't really ready for much more than that.

If what we're seeing this week is any indication, the GOP is going to be shredded by the Trumpists.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 21989
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: El lugar de ser
Contact:

Re: Random Politics

Post by brian » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:50 am

Everything Trump touches dies.

User avatar
Steve of phpBB
The Dude
Posts: 5290
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:44 am

Re: Random Politics

Post by Steve of phpBB » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:51 am

Nonlinear FC wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:48 am
If what we're seeing this week is any indication, the GOP is going to be shredded by the Trumpists.
We can only hope. My fear is that the GOP has already lost the never-Trumpers, so everyone who is left will get behind whoever ends up speaking for the deplorables.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.

User avatar
Nonlinear FC
The Dude
Posts: 6348
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:09 pm

Re: Random Politics

Post by Nonlinear FC » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:54 am

Steve of phpBB wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:51 am
Nonlinear FC wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:48 am
If what we're seeing this week is any indication, the GOP is going to be shredded by the Trumpists.
We can only hope. My fear is that the GOP has already lost the never-Trumpers, so everyone who is left will get behind whoever ends up speaking for the deplorables.
And at that point, I'll trot out my old chestnut: That's not a sustainable path in the mid- and long-term for a national party. The demographics are working against the GOP if they try to play straight to the White Woe is Me constituency.

The one thing the GOP has had over the Dems for decades is an extremely easy to rally (and control) patch of voting blocs. If that starts to crumble, they are fucked.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.

User avatar
Steve of phpBB
The Dude
Posts: 5290
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:44 am

Re: Random Politics

Post by Steve of phpBB » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:01 am

Nonlinear FC wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:54 am
Steve of phpBB wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:51 am
Nonlinear FC wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:48 am
If what we're seeing this week is any indication, the GOP is going to be shredded by the Trumpists.
We can only hope. My fear is that the GOP has already lost the never-Trumpers, so everyone who is left will get behind whoever ends up speaking for the deplorables.
And at that point, I'll trot out my old chestnut: That's not a sustainable path in the mid- and long-term for a national party. The demographics are working against the GOP if they try to play straight to the White Woe is Me constituency.

The one thing the GOP has had over the Dems for decades is an extremely easy to rally (and control) patch of voting blocs. If that starts to crumble, they are fucked.
Maybe. But if the public focus stays on the (mostly justified) grievances of Blacks, I think you'll see more Latinos and Asians coming down on the "white" side of the divide and go Republican. I think it's quite likely that's a big part of what happened last week.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.

User avatar
The Sybian
The Dude
Posts: 12593
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:36 am
Location: Working in the Crap Part of Jersey

Re: Random Politics

Post by The Sybian » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:06 am

Steve of phpBB wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:51 am
Nonlinear FC wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:48 am
If what we're seeing this week is any indication, the GOP is going to be shredded by the Trumpists.
We can only hope. My fear is that the GOP has already lost the never-Trumpers, so everyone who is left will get behind whoever ends up speaking for the deplorables.
I don't see how the Trumpers and Never-Trumpers can coexist unless Trump disappears. I think the GOP would be wise to remove all Trump influence as soon as he leaves office and pretend it never happened. They can't outright condemn Trump or the past 4 years, just slip it into the memory hole and hope they don't lose Trumpers. I think they can do this by stoking fear through lies of Biden's Radical Leftist agenda. Let the Never-Trumpers believe they are retaking the Party without the Trumpers feeling like they need to leave the Party. I just don't see Trump letting go of the spotlight or the millions of worshippers. Both for his ego and for the cash trough they provide. While I would love for Trump to disappear and never have to hear from him again, I'd also love to see the GOP have a reckoning for allowing the monster to take over the Party. It'll be fascinating to see how this all pans out, but for some reason, the GOP are always able to land on their feet and double down on the cheating, lying and horrible behavior and rebuild a base.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 21989
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: El lugar de ser
Contact:

Re: Random Politics

Post by brian » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:10 am

The Sybian wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:06 am
Steve of phpBB wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:51 am
Nonlinear FC wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:48 am
If what we're seeing this week is any indication, the GOP is going to be shredded by the Trumpists.
We can only hope. My fear is that the GOP has already lost the never-Trumpers, so everyone who is left will get behind whoever ends up speaking for the deplorables.
I don't see how the Trumpers and Never-Trumpers can coexist unless Trump disappears. I think the GOP would be wise to remove all Trump influence as soon as he leaves office and pretend it never happened. They can't outright condemn Trump or the past 4 years, just slip it into the memory hole and hope they don't lose Trumpers. I think they can do this by stoking fear through lies of Biden's Radical Leftist agenda. Let the Never-Trumpers believe they are retaking the Party without the Trumpers feeling like they need to leave the Party. I just don't see Trump letting go of the spotlight or the millions of worshippers. Both for his ego and for the cash trough they provide. While I would love for Trump to disappear and never have to hear from him again, I'd also love to see the GOP have a reckoning for allowing the monster to take over the Party. It'll be fascinating to see how this all pans out, but for some reason, the GOP are always able to land on their feet and double down on the cheating, lying and horrible behavior and rebuild a base.
Part I bolded is because they have a 24-hour propaganda network that will shamelessly lie for them to promote whatever narrative they want.

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 21989
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: El lugar de ser
Contact:

Re: Random Politics

Post by brian » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:18 am


Johnnie
The Dude
Posts: 12073
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: ABQ, BITCH!

Re: Random Politics

Post by Johnnie » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:21 am

brian wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:50 am
Everything Trump touches dies.
I read Rick Wilson's book by this name. It was ok.

And I didn't pay a cent for it.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.

User avatar
The Sybian
The Dude
Posts: 12593
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:36 am
Location: Working in the Crap Part of Jersey

Re: Random Politics

Post by The Sybian » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:21 am

brian wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:10 am


Part I bolded is because they have a 24-hour propaganda network that will shamelessly lie for them to promote whatever narrative they want.
Yes, and convinced their viewers that everyone who disagrees is lying and pushing a false narrative to help the Dems.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 20269
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: Random Politics

Post by mister d » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:34 am

Steve of phpBB wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:51 am
Nonlinear FC wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:48 am
If what we're seeing this week is any indication, the GOP is going to be shredded by the Trumpists.
We can only hope. My fear is that the GOP has already lost the never-Trumpers, so everyone who is left will get behind whoever ends up speaking for the deplorables.
If we've learned anything its that the Dems will bend over backwards to court this group via policy while depending on everything left to give them their margins.
rass wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:20 am
I'm definitely known as "the boy who cried penis" in town.

User avatar
Rush2112
The Dude
Posts: 6184
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:35 pm
Location: Cyrus X-1
Contact:

Re: Random Politics

Post by Rush2112 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:49 pm

I was browsing Reddit last night and saw a link to this Russian book:https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundat ... eopolitics

Scary how much of that plan has been put into action: "Russia should use its special services within the borders of the United States to fuel instability and separatism, for instance, provoke "Afro-American racists". Russia should "introduce geopolitical disorder into internal American activity, encouraging all kinds of separatism and ethnic, social and racial conflicts, actively supporting all dissident movements – extremist, racist, and sectarian groups, thus destabilizing internal political processes in the U.S. It would also make sense simultaneously to support isolationist tendencies in American politics".
"If you're into power let's go down to my van, because Red Barchetta through a 10 gigawatt pre-amp is-wait... pleassee tell me you're into Rush...."

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 21989
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: El lugar de ser
Contact:

Re: Random Politics

Post by brian » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:14 pm


psunate77
Bunny Lebowski
Posts: 565
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:41 am

Re: Random Politics

Post by psunate77 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:05 pm


User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 21989
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: El lugar de ser
Contact:

Re: Random Politics

Post by brian » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:13 pm

Really good interview with John Fetterman. Have to say I've been really impressed with him these last few weeks and he hits the nail on the head several times in this interview. With Toomey retiring in 2022, I'd have to put Fetterman as the odds-on favorite to be the next junior senator from PA.

Johnnie
The Dude
Posts: 12073
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: ABQ, BITCH!

Re: Random Politics

Post by Johnnie » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:35 pm



I think Pelosi retires in 2022, right? Either way, she's probably done.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 21989
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: El lugar de ser
Contact:

Re: Random Politics

Post by brian » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:55 pm

Redistricting will play a role and the effects of that can be measured and assumed somewhat, but I think it's a bad idea to assume what's going to happen in an election two years from now where Trump will not be on the ballot.

Historically the assumption would be the Dems will lose some seats, but there will be a lot of Senate seats in play for them and I don't think past history is going to be any guide for the next decade or two in national politics.

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 16874
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Random Politics

Post by A_B » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:33 am

The wife just accidentally called you. “Accidentally”. Sorry

User avatar
Giff
The Dude
Posts: 6546
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:26 pm

Re: Random Politics

Post by Giff » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:24 am

brian wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:13 pm
Really good interview with John Fetterman. Have to say I've been really impressed with him these last few weeks and he hits the nail on the head several times in this interview. With Toomey retiring in 2022, I'd have to put Fetterman as the odds-on favorite to be the next junior senator from PA.
This guy should be the face of the party.
Muh.

User avatar
govmentchedda
The Dude
Posts: 8228
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:36 pm

Re: Random Politics

Post by govmentchedda » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:47 am

Giff wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:24 am
brian wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:13 pm
Really good interview with John Fetterman. Have to say I've been really impressed with him these last few weeks and he hits the nail on the head several times in this interview. With Toomey retiring in 2022, I'd have to put Fetterman as the odds-on favorite to be the next junior senator from PA.
This guy should be the face of the party.
Braddock, stand up!
I took a two hour nap and cried during parks and Rec. it was awesome and terrifying.

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 16874
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Random Politics

Post by A_B » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:49 pm

The crazy Qanon lady used "my body, my choice" when discussing masks. Wonder where she stands on abortion?
The wife just accidentally called you. “Accidentally”. Sorry

User avatar
Steve of phpBB
The Dude
Posts: 5290
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:44 am

Re: Random Politics

Post by Steve of phpBB » Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:03 pm

A_B wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:33 am
I dunno. Didn't AOC also say something like that a few months ago, which conservatives jumped on as proof that she was stupid?

I don't really want to slam someone for not remembering that that three "branches" of government are different from the three bodies involved in the legislative process.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 16874
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Random Politics

Post by A_B » Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:05 pm

I think it's a fair criticism of anyone in one of the branches, and the way this is phrased doesn't leave much room for "I Misspoke" so much as a fundamental misunderstanding.
The wife just accidentally called you. “Accidentally”. Sorry

User avatar
cerrano
The Big Lebowski
Posts: 1181
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:16 pm

Re: Random Politics

Post by cerrano » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:13 pm

Steve of phpBB wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:03 pm
A_B wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:33 am
I dunno. Didn't AOC also say something like that a few months ago, which conservatives jumped on as proof that she was stupid?

I don't really want to slam someone for not remembering that that three "branches" of government are different from the three bodies involved in the legislative process.
Why should we expect more exactitude about basic civics knowledge from someone who has been elected to one of those bodies? Give Senator Dipshit a break!

eta: or what AB said
"i'm just a middle-aged black woman trying to get into the senate."

Post Reply