Random Politics

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, DaveInSeattle, rass

tennbengal
The Dude
Posts: 7893
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:07 pm

Re: Random Politics

Post by tennbengal » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:59 pm

Jesus, Mitt, switch to IND and caucus with the Dems. For fuckssake.

User avatar
Steve of phpBB
The Dude
Posts: 5612
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:44 am

Re: Random Politics

Post by Steve of phpBB » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:36 am

tennbengal wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:59 pm
Jesus, Mitt, switch to IND and caucus with the Dems. For fuckssake.
Except that he’s a hard-core Republican.

He’s had no problem helping the GOP pack the courts during the lame duck session, or putting Barrett on the court after the GOP refused to consider Garland.

Romney actually appears to take his oath of office more seriously than most modern Rs. And he’s obviously embarrassed by Trump and Trumpism. But there’s no way he’d help the Dems install pro-choice judges, or raise taxes on the rich to expand or improve health care access, or impose stricter environmental or social regulations to fight climate change.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.

tennbengal
The Dude
Posts: 7893
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:07 pm

Re: Random Politics

Post by tennbengal » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:59 am

His dad would have. Maybe every time he gets yelled at and attacked, the idea might grow.

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 16781
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Random Politics

Post by Pruitt » Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:46 am

Those videos were kind of funny - a metaphor for the Republican party as a whole.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 20812
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: Random Politics

Post by mister d » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:37 am

tennbengal wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:59 am
His dad would have. Maybe every time he gets yelled at and attacked, the idea might grow.
Pro-Biden comment: If there's a moderate policy the Dems want to pass, Biden being in office will make it easier for a few long-term Republicans to defect over.
Steve of phpBB wrote:What are they going to do, though. Storm Congress? The Department of Justice building?

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 17298
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Random Politics

Post by A_B » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:37 am

mister d wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:37 am
tennbengal wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:59 am
His dad would have. Maybe every time he gets yelled at and attacked, the idea might grow.
Pro-Biden comment: If there's a moderate policy the Dems want to pass, Biden being in office will make it easier for a few long-term Republicans to defect over.
And look who finally figured it all out.
This "Whoa, Nelly" is brought to you by Nelly's Organic candy bars. Tastes like the good stuff, without the bad stuff. Whoa, Nelly!

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 20812
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: Random Politics

Post by mister d » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:46 am

Yes, the year-long plan of a senate split then leveraging Biden's friendship with fellow centrists to pass the "Please Don't Reinstate the Three-Fifths Compromise Act" by a 50-48 margin (Romney and Murkowski abstain) has come to fruition. The master strategists in the party have done it again.
Steve of phpBB wrote:What are they going to do, though. Storm Congress? The Department of Justice building?

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 17298
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Random Politics

Post by A_B » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:46 am

mister d wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:46 am
Yes, the year-long plan of a senate split then leveraging Biden's friendship with fellow centrists to pass the "Please Don't Reinstate the Three-Fifths Compromise Act" by a 50-48 margin (Romney and Murkowski abstain) has come to fruition.
Not in those exact terms, but...yes?
This "Whoa, Nelly" is brought to you by Nelly's Organic candy bars. Tastes like the good stuff, without the bad stuff. Whoa, Nelly!

User avatar
Steve of phpBB
The Dude
Posts: 5612
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:44 am

Re: Random Politics

Post by Steve of phpBB » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:29 am

mister d wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:46 am
Yes, the year-long plan of a senate split then leveraging Biden's friendship with fellow centrists to pass the "Please Don't Reinstate the Three-Fifths Compromise Act" by a 50-48 margin (Romney and Murkowski abstain) has come to fruition. The master strategists in the party have done it again.
And of course a key part of that Dem plan was having Jonny Isakson resign his Senate seat in 2019 for health reasons.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.

User avatar
DSafetyGuy
The Dude
Posts: 5891
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:29 pm
Location: Behind the high school

Re: Random Politics

Post by DSafetyGuy » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:38 pm

Ran an errand a little bit ago and in a parking lot at the traffic light on the edge of our suburb nearest Syracuse was a man in front of a pick-up truck flying the Onondaga Nation flag and a homemade banner stating "defund white supremacy".
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 20812
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: Random Politics

Post by mister d » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:52 pm

Last night I passed a sign with a huge peach and an exclamation point and the senate win 24 hours earlier was so far from my mind I didn't even realize what it meant until later on.
Steve of phpBB wrote:What are they going to do, though. Storm Congress? The Department of Justice building?

User avatar
L-Jam3
Donny
Posts: 2885
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:43 am

Re: Random Politics

Post by L-Jam3 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:53 pm

They were big Ty Cobb fans?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Andre "The Hawk" Dawson with 438.

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 17298
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Random Politics

Post by A_B » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:12 pm

That someone had a phat juicy ass?
This "Whoa, Nelly" is brought to you by Nelly's Organic candy bars. Tastes like the good stuff, without the bad stuff. Whoa, Nelly!

Johnnie
The Dude
Posts: 12309
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: ABQ, BITCH!

Re: Random Politics

Post by Johnnie » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:52 pm

That they were just looking for an eggplant emoji to get with?
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.

User avatar
Giff
The Dude
Posts: 6659
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:26 pm

Re: Random Politics

Post by Giff » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:58 pm

Huge Allman Brothers fans?
Muh.

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 20812
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: Random Politics

Post by mister d » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:13 pm

Fellas, if you read a little closer I mentioned the reason in my post! The Senate win!
Steve of phpBB wrote:What are they going to do, though. Storm Congress? The Department of Justice building?

User avatar
The Sybian
The Dude
Posts: 12900
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:36 am
Location: Working in the Crap Part of Jersey

Re: Random Politics

Post by The Sybian » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:18 pm

DSafetyGuy wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:38 pm
Ran an errand a little bit ago and in a parking lot at the traffic light on the edge of our suburb nearest Syracuse was a man in front of a pick-up truck flying the Onondaga Nation flag and a homemade banner stating "defund white supremacy".
Speaking of Syracuse, I thought of you yesterday while watching F is for Family and Rosie called Syracuse "the filthy ballsack of the East Coast."
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt

User avatar
DSafetyGuy
The Dude
Posts: 5891
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:29 pm
Location: Behind the high school

Re: Random Politics

Post by DSafetyGuy » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:25 pm

The Sybian wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:18 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:38 pm
Ran an errand a little bit ago and in a parking lot at the traffic light on the edge of our suburb nearest Syracuse was a man in front of a pick-up truck flying the Onondaga Nation flag and a homemade banner stating "defund white supremacy".
Speaking of Syracuse, I thought of you yesterday while watching F is for Family and Rosie called Syracuse "the filthy ballsack of the East Coast."
They speak so well of the city.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”

User avatar
The Sybian
The Dude
Posts: 12900
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:36 am
Location: Working in the Crap Part of Jersey

Re: Random Politics

Post by The Sybian » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:33 pm

DSafetyGuy wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:25 pm
The Sybian wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:18 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:38 pm
Ran an errand a little bit ago and in a parking lot at the traffic light on the edge of our suburb nearest Syracuse was a man in front of a pick-up truck flying the Onondaga Nation flag and a homemade banner stating "defund white supremacy".
Speaking of Syracuse, I thought of you yesterday while watching F is for Family and Rosie called Syracuse "the filthy ballsack of the East Coast."
They speak so well of the city.
I heard they are going to write a backstory explaining why Rosie hates Syracuse so much. Not that you need a reason beyond going there.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt

User avatar
sancarlos
The Dude
Posts: 12346
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:46 pm
Location: NorCal via Colorado

Re: Random Politics

Post by sancarlos » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:03 pm

The Sybian wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:33 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:25 pm
The Sybian wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:18 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:38 pm
Ran an errand a little bit ago and in a parking lot at the traffic light on the edge of our suburb nearest Syracuse was a man in front of a pick-up truck flying the Onondaga Nation flag and a homemade banner stating "defund white supremacy".
Speaking of Syracuse, I thought of you yesterday while watching F is for Family and Rosie called Syracuse "the filthy ballsack of the East Coast."
They speak so well of the city.
I heard they are going to write a backstory explaining why Rosie hates Syracuse so much. Not that you need a reason beyond going there.
DSafe wrote:I liked living in Chicago, but the winter weather was just a little too nice. So, let's try Syracuse.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian

I never shoulda punched that horse. - AB

User avatar
DSafetyGuy
The Dude
Posts: 5891
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:29 pm
Location: Behind the high school

Re: Random Politics

Post by DSafetyGuy » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:52 pm

You joke, but I laughed at how the city of Minneapolis dealt with snow when I was there for three weeks in January a few years ago. And -22 wind chill is not a big deal when you do a reasonably decent job preparing for it.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”

User avatar
sancarlos
The Dude
Posts: 12346
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:46 pm
Location: NorCal via Colorado

Re: Random Politics

Post by sancarlos » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:27 pm

DSafetyGuy wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:52 pm
-22 wind chill is not a big deal when you do a reasonably decent job preparing for it.
And, if you don't, you die!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian

I never shoulda punched that horse. - AB

User avatar
Steve of phpBB
The Dude
Posts: 5612
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:44 am

Re: Random Politics

Post by Steve of phpBB » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:34 pm

sancarlos wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:27 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:52 pm
-22 wind chill is not a big deal when you do a reasonably decent job preparing for it.
And, if you don't, you die!
Yeah, extreme cold is the kind of problem that takes care of itself.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.

User avatar
sancarlos
The Dude
Posts: 12346
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:46 pm
Location: NorCal via Colorado

Re: Random Politics

Post by sancarlos » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:49 pm

I had no idea that Clarence Thomas’s wife is a prominent conspiracy-theory posting right-wing nutjob.

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian

I never shoulda punched that horse. - AB

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 22285
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: El lugar de ser
Contact:

Re: Random Politics

Post by brian » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:56 pm

More good news today.


tennbengal
The Dude
Posts: 7893
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:07 pm

Re: Random Politics

Post by tennbengal » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:34 pm

brian wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:56 pm
More good news today.

LIKE

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 20812
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: Random Politics

Post by mister d » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:24 pm

Wonder if Biden will intervene on Snyder's behalf ...
Steve of phpBB wrote:What are they going to do, though. Storm Congress? The Department of Justice building?

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 22285
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: El lugar de ser
Contact:

Re: Random Politics

Post by brian » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:28 pm

mister d wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:24 pm
Wonder if Biden will intervene on Snyder's behalf ...
Not if he wants to win Michigan in 2024 he won't. Snyder is arguably the most hated person in the state, I was kind of surprised Biden accepted his endorsement.

User avatar
sancarlos
The Dude
Posts: 12346
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:46 pm
Location: NorCal via Colorado

Re: Random Politics

Post by sancarlos » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:57 pm

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian

I never shoulda punched that horse. - AB

User avatar
The Sybian
The Dude
Posts: 12900
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:36 am
Location: Working in the Crap Part of Jersey

Re: Random Politics

Post by The Sybian » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:29 pm

sancarlos wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:57 pm
Best first sentence in any article, and it didn’t let up. Great read.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt

User avatar
Rex
The Dude
Posts: 5240
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:10 pm

Re: Random Politics

Post by Rex » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:17 pm


User avatar
Steve of phpBB
The Dude
Posts: 5612
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:44 am

Re: Random Politics

Post by Steve of phpBB » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:31 pm

Rex wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:17 pm
Yeah from what I'm reading this is basically a scam to shield their assets from the NY AG, Letitia James.

They're "reincorporating" in Texas. I'm guessing they have minimal assets so they can just wash them through a bankruptcy process and come out clean.

However, if they have any big creditors (including the NY AG), those creditors will have a right to dig into exactly what the NRA has done with its money the past several years and claw back any voidable transfers.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.

Johnnie
The Dude
Posts: 12309
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: ABQ, BITCH!

Re: Random Politics

Post by Johnnie » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:33 am

Why not "New Yang City"?

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.

User avatar
DaveInSeattle
The Dude
Posts: 5155
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:51 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Random Politics

Post by DaveInSeattle » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:09 pm

This story about the W.Va lawmaker that was arrested after being at the 1/6 Riot:

Before he stormed the Capitol, ex-W.Va. lawmaker harassed women at an abortion clinic
Derrick Evans walked with his phone out in front of him, camera facing forward, as he advanced on the patient in the abortion clinic parking lot. Surrounding the car, clinic volunteers tried to shield the patient with umbrellas and their own bodies. It was no use: On this February morning in 2019, Evans captured the patient on Facebook live, streaming to tens of thousands of followers.

“You will not do this in secret in West Virginia,” Evans said. He wore a “Make America Great Again” hat, as he did every week when he protested outside the Women’s Health Center, the only abortion clinic left in the state.

Evans was a fixture at the clinic for much of 2019, with a reputation for harassment so severe that the clinic erected a 10-foot fence to deter him. A volunteer escort obtained a restraining order against him, accusing him of stalking her. When Evans was around — often accompanied by dozens of supporters — women would cry in the waiting room, said clinic patient Hunter Crites, afraid they’d be identified and screamed at as soon as they stepped outside.
Jesus...what an asshole.

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 20812
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: Random Politics

Post by mister d » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:39 pm

With shit like this, I always feel like well placed sprinklers could do a lot of good.
Steve of phpBB wrote:What are they going to do, though. Storm Congress? The Department of Justice building?

User avatar
The Sybian
The Dude
Posts: 12900
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:36 am
Location: Working in the Crap Part of Jersey

Re: Random Politics

Post by The Sybian » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:17 pm

DaveInSeattle wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:09 pm
This story about the W.Va lawmaker that was arrested after being at the 1/6 Riot:

Before he stormed the Capitol, ex-W.Va. lawmaker harassed women at an abortion clinic
Derrick Evans walked with his phone out in front of him, camera facing forward, as he advanced on the patient in the abortion clinic parking lot. Surrounding the car, clinic volunteers tried to shield the patient with umbrellas and their own bodies. It was no use: On this February morning in 2019, Evans captured the patient on Facebook live, streaming to tens of thousands of followers.

“You will not do this in secret in West Virginia,” Evans said. He wore a “Make America Great Again” hat, as he did every week when he protested outside the Women’s Health Center, the only abortion clinic left in the state.

Evans was a fixture at the clinic for much of 2019, with a reputation for harassment so severe that the clinic erected a 10-foot fence to deter him. A volunteer escort obtained a restraining order against him, accusing him of stalking her. When Evans was around — often accompanied by dozens of supporters — women would cry in the waiting room, said clinic patient Hunter Crites, afraid they’d be identified and screamed at as soon as they stepped outside.
Jesus...what an asshole.
But his grandma said he is a good boy.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt

User avatar
DaveInSeattle
The Dude
Posts: 5155
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:51 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Random Politics

Post by DaveInSeattle » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:48 pm

The Sybian wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:17 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:09 pm
This story about the W.Va lawmaker that was arrested after being at the 1/6 Riot:

Before he stormed the Capitol, ex-W.Va. lawmaker harassed women at an abortion clinic
Derrick Evans walked with his phone out in front of him, camera facing forward, as he advanced on the patient in the abortion clinic parking lot. Surrounding the car, clinic volunteers tried to shield the patient with umbrellas and their own bodies. It was no use: On this February morning in 2019, Evans captured the patient on Facebook live, streaming to tens of thousands of followers.

“You will not do this in secret in West Virginia,” Evans said. He wore a “Make America Great Again” hat, as he did every week when he protested outside the Women’s Health Center, the only abortion clinic left in the state.

Evans was a fixture at the clinic for much of 2019, with a reputation for harassment so severe that the clinic erected a 10-foot fence to deter him. A volunteer escort obtained a restraining order against him, accusing him of stalking her. When Evans was around — often accompanied by dozens of supporters — women would cry in the waiting room, said clinic patient Hunter Crites, afraid they’d be identified and screamed at as soon as they stepped outside.
Jesus...what an asshole.
But his grandma said he is a good boy.
In West Virginia, it's "Me-Maw"

User avatar
govmentchedda
The Dude
Posts: 8462
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:36 pm

Re: Random Politics

Post by govmentchedda » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:54 pm

DaveInSeattle wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:48 pm
The Sybian wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:17 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:09 pm
This story about the W.Va lawmaker that was arrested after being at the 1/6 Riot:

Before he stormed the Capitol, ex-W.Va. lawmaker harassed women at an abortion clinic
Derrick Evans walked with his phone out in front of him, camera facing forward, as he advanced on the patient in the abortion clinic parking lot. Surrounding the car, clinic volunteers tried to shield the patient with umbrellas and their own bodies. It was no use: On this February morning in 2019, Evans captured the patient on Facebook live, streaming to tens of thousands of followers.

“You will not do this in secret in West Virginia,” Evans said. He wore a “Make America Great Again” hat, as he did every week when he protested outside the Women’s Health Center, the only abortion clinic left in the state.

Evans was a fixture at the clinic for much of 2019, with a reputation for harassment so severe that the clinic erected a 10-foot fence to deter him. A volunteer escort obtained a restraining order against him, accusing him of stalking her. When Evans was around — often accompanied by dozens of supporters — women would cry in the waiting room, said clinic patient Hunter Crites, afraid they’d be identified and screamed at as soon as they stepped outside.
Jesus...what an asshole.
But his grandma said he is a good boy.
In West Virginia, it's "Me-Maw"
Hahaha. Yep. That's what my cousins called my grandmother.
I took a two hour nap and cried during parks and Rec. it was awesome and terrifying.

psunate77
Jesus Quintana
Posts: 739
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:41 am

Re: Random Politics

Post by psunate77 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:32 pm



Pretty obvious that Boebert is going to have to answer for some tweets she made and tours she gave.. I don't expect her or Greene to serve their full terms.

Post Reply