Netflix Suggestions?

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Re: Netflix Suggestions?

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Also: Bat Shit Crazy
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:28 pm Also: Bat Shit Crazy
I think she took that Scientology stuff to a whole other plane.

A faction of writers / producers along with Kelsey Grammer started up Frasier after Cheers ended (and you get the feeling during Cheers' final season they were plotting Frasier's exit of Boston due to the demise of his relationship with Lilith)...Anyhoo, I remember the fact the only regular (living) cast member of Cheers to not have at least a single appearance on Frasier was in fact, Kirstie Alley's 'Rebecca Howe' character. When she was once asked about that, she said "Well, the show's about a psychiatrist, and as I scientologist I don't believe in that sort of thing." Either Peter Casey or David Lee responded along the lines of, "her beliefs had nothing to do with our considerations..."*

* She did get a reference on Frasier. When Sam Malone stopped in on Frasier for pre-marital advice, Frasier asks how Rebecca and Don (Tom Berenger) was doing. He explains that Tom actually became a millionaire by inventing some type of plumbing gadget.

"And Rebecca?"

"She's back at the bar."

"Oh? She's managing again?"

"No. He left her. She's just...back at the bar."

Which is a fun way of flipping her the middle finger, I suppose. (A little less dark as the way they killed off Jay Thomas' Eddie Lebec character for his comments about working with Rhea Pealman...Her kid sister, Heidi wrote episodes for Cheers)...
Noli Timere Messorem
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Not sure if this should go in Movies... I didn't see Wind River when it was out in theaters, but it popped up on Netflix recently.

It has some slight issues with pacing and I guess I've seen enough movies about native americans (plus Longmire) to kind of want them to get that part of the storytelling out of the way.

but, overall, highly recommend. I liked how they got through some of the trickier bits of exposition, and Holy Shit is it worth sticking through the first half of the movie. Not that it's bad... It's mostly kind of soul-crushing, with a few pockets of stoic humor to pull you through.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:09 pm Run, do not walk...

The Mortified series is FUCKING AMAZING. Just, guys, win at life and watch this series. If the first episode about sex makes things weird with your wife, skip it. The next two are some of the most entertaining and endearing thins I've experienced over the last bunch of years.
Watched the first episode. I loved the Bon Jovi story.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

rass wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:53 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:09 pm Run, do not walk...

The Mortified series is FUCKING AMAZING. Just, guys, win at life and watch this series. If the first episode about sex makes things weird with your wife, skip it. The next two are some of the most entertaining and endearing thins I've experienced over the last bunch of years.
Watched the first episode. I loved the Bon Jovi story.

It gets even better, stick with it.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Man, Canadian Netflix sucks. "Mortified" isn;t on it.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:46 pm Man, Canadian Netflix sucks. "Mortified" isn;t on it.
Do you have access to Dirty Money? The Canadian maple syrup episode is supposed to be good. Or had it been censored by the man?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

rass wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:14 pm
Pruitt wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:46 pm Man, Canadian Netflix sucks. "Mortified" isn;t on it.
Do you have access to Dirty Money? The Canadian maple syrup episode is supposed to be good. Or had it been censored by the man?
Ha! I'll watch it. I remember that story.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Listening to the Bon Jovi story at work and had to pause it to collect my shit.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Netflix picked up the Monty Python catalog + some new python content
http://www.businessinsider.com/netflix- ... log-2018-3
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Great news for Pruitt, Degen and That French Guy!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Sam Peckinpaugh's "Salad Days"

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Any of you folks start in on this documentary called Wild, Wild Country?

https://www.gq.com/story/wild-wild-coun ... needed/amp

Apparently it's a ginormous hit and I'm seeing it in multiple places when I'm poking around the internet.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I have trouble binge watching a great show, so I only just finished Episode 5 of Season 1 of Peaky Blinders, and it was the best hour of drama I've seen since Breaking Bad. Absolutely riveting.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I Don't Feel At Home In This World Anymore got some amazing reviews, so I tried to watch it tonight.

Nothing terrible or offensive about it, but 45 minutes in, I realized that I could not care less about the characters or the plot.

So instead switched to Chelsea Perretti's comedy special from a few years ago. Very funny.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

If you like smart assed shoot-em-ups, you'll love Free Fire with Armie Hammer and Cillian Murphy.

Very clever but too much gunfire for me.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Johnnie wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:26 am Any of you folks start in on this documentary called Wild, Wild Country?

Apparently it's a ginormous hit and I'm seeing it in multiple places when I'm poking around the internet.
To the point that they spoofed in on SNL this weekend. Now I have to watch it.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

My kids suggested we watch 'Black Mirror'. We've watched two episodes so far. First one we saw was really good...second one (the pig-fucking one) not so much.

We do like that its an anthology series, so we don't have to keep track of characters and plot lines.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:39 am My kids suggested we watch 'Black Mirror'. We've watched two episodes so far. First one we saw was really good...second one (the pig-fucking one) not so much.

We do like that its an anthology series, so we don't have to keep track of characters and plot lines.
I thought the pig-fucking one was great.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Giff wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:07 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:39 am My kids suggested we watch 'Black Mirror'. We've watched two episodes so far. First one we saw was really good...second one (the pig-fucking one) not so much.

I thought the pig-fucking one was great.

I guess I wasn't really prepared for it, or in the mood to process it.. I dunno, it really turned me off to the show.

Then I went back (after a lot folks here kept singing its praises) and was like, "whoa," and binged right through all 4 seasons. There are 2 or 3 episodes that are some of my favorite TV watching from over the last 5 years or so. (If I was making a top 10 list, throwing in GoT and Stranger Things, etc.)
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:06 am
Johnnie wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:26 am Any of you folks start in on this documentary called Wild, Wild Country?

To the point that they spoofed in on SNL this weekend. Now I have to watch it.
Holy shit.

I know I'd read a longform article about this at some point in the distant past, but geezus, what a shitshow.

Fascinating, to be sure.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:32 amHoly shit.

I know I'd read a longform article about this at some point in the distant past, but geezus, what a shitshow.

Fascinating, to be sure.
Was it this 20-parter that surfaced at Longform last week?
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I doubt it? Just the timing of when the story originally broke makes me feel like what I read was a "hey, remember the crazy shit that happened 10 years ago?" type of article.

But thanks for those links!

As good as the documentary is, they are leaving a ton of questions unanswered, rather inexplicably IMO. The hotel is bombed, they cover how that altered Sheela and the commune, but they don't even touch any kind of investigation into who did it. Just one of dozens of examples.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:40 pm
sancarlos wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:29 pm Most of you kids won't be interested, but for those of us old enough to remember The National Lampoon magazine, I'd recommend A Futile and Stupid Gesture, starring Will Forte, which is a biography of founder Doug Kenney and the rise and fall of the magazine. Back in the late 70s/very early 80s, a couple close friends and I thought that was great literature.
I saw it a couple days ago and it was OK. Definitely worthwhile for Netflix but it wasn’t as good as the documentary on the Lampoon (Drunk Stoned Brilliant Dead) which spends a lot of time on Kinney of course. That should also be on Netflix.
Just watched Futile and Stupid Gesture and I have to agree that the documentary was a lot better.

I also loved the Lampoon - the High School Yearbook is one of the greatest things ever written, but just past the halfway point of the movie, I got sick of seeing Doug Kenney. He came across as an asshole. By the end, I didn't give a shit about him.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:31 pm
brian wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:40 pm
sancarlos wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:29 pm Most of you kids won't be interested, but for those of us old enough to remember The National Lampoon magazine, I'd recommend A Futile and Stupid Gesture, starring Will Forte, which is a biography of founder Doug Kenney and the rise and fall of the magazine. Back in the late 70s/very early 80s, a couple close friends and I thought that was great literature.
I saw it a couple days ago and it was OK. Definitely worthwhile for Netflix but it wasn’t as good as the documentary on the Lampoon (Drunk Stoned Brilliant Dead) which spends a lot of time on Kinney of course. That should also be on Netflix.
Just watched Futile and Stupid Gesture and I have to agree that the documentary was a lot better.

I also loved the Lampoon - the High School Yearbook is one of the greatest things ever written, but just past the halfway point of the movie, I got sick of seeing Doug Kenney. He came across as an asshole. By the end, I didn't give a shit about him.
Yeah, Drunk Stoned Brilliant Dead is the better of the two.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Adam Sandler's The Week Of has a couple of absolutely hilarious scenes, and if it was a half hour shorter would have been great.

but it's not, so it isn't.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

We watched The Ballad of Lefty Brown last night on Amazon Prime. Essentially a throw away movie, but it was a fun enough 2 hours to riff on with my brother visiting from Florida.
Noli Timere Messorem
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

You're going to think I'm nuts, but (even though I didn't see the movie) I found the first three episodes of Boss Baby to be very funny indeed.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Anyone watching the Lost in Space reboot?

I'm digging it... I'm around Ep8 or so.

My only issue is that Parker Posey's portrayal of Dr. Smith is just sociopathic. I have no issue re-imagining characters, and truth be told, I HATED Dr. Smith in the original series... to the point of not liking the show at times.

It's just that they've recaptured that essence of unlikability without any of the (almost) redeeming humor that guy brought to the role. Which is weird, because we all know Parker can be funny as shit in subtle ways when asked to do so.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

^^^Liked the first episode.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 3:44 pm Anyone watching the Lost in Space reboot?

I'm digging it... I'm around Ep8 or so.

My only issue is that Parker Posey's portrayal of Dr. Smith is just sociopathic. I have no issue re-imagining characters, and truth be told, I HATED Dr. Smith in the original series... to the point of not liking the show at times.

It's just that they've recaptured that essence of unlikability without any of the (almost) redeeming humor that guy brought to the role. Which is weird, because we all know Parker can be funny as shit in subtle ways when asked to do so.
Yes, and see Josie and the Pussycats, any of you who haven't already. Criminally underrated movie.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Just watched John Mulaney: Kid Gorgeous at Radio City.

It’s a fantastic way to kill an hour. My wife and I were in stitches at a couple points...
Noli Timere Messorem
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 3:44 pmIt's just that they've recaptured that essence of unlikability without any of the (almost) redeeming humor that guy brought to the role. Which is weird, because we all know Parker can be funny as shit in subtle ways when asked to do so.
Unlikeable and funny

Totally Kafkaesque
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Mavericks is an English series focusing on the "Mavericks:" of sports. The first two about soccer players were good, and the darts one is great.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

EnochRoot wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 11:25 am Just watched John Mulaney: Kid Gorgeous at Radio City.

It’s a fantastic way to kill an hour. My wife and I were in stitches at a couple points...
We watched it last night, too. Funny stuff.

I loved how he got slyly got political (Trump), without being overtly so.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 12:23 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 11:25 am Just watched John Mulaney: Kid Gorgeous at Radio City.

Loved this show. I'm not a huge stand up fan, but he's just great.

The bits about the English Degree and entering "the gross age" hit way too close to home.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Really excited to watch that. We caught one of his specials on Sirius when we were driving to Colorado a couple years ago and we became instant fans.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Loving Vincent is absolutely stunning.

Very slow, very touching.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Pruitt wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 6:23 pm

The bits about the English Degree and entering "the gross age" hit way too close to home.
That point where you start to talk through your burps? Yeah. Guilty.
Noli Timere Messorem
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

EnochRoot wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 9:56 pm
Pruitt wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 6:23 pm

That point where you start to talk through your burps? Yeah. Guilty.
Mulaney is at the top of his stand up game. I don't think this one was quite as tight as "New In Town" but a very funny set none the less.

We watched the new Ali Wong special last night. Very parent and female-centric but I still laughed my ass off. Something about her delivery and facial expressions just speak to my funny bone.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."