Netflix Suggestions?

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: Netflix Suggestions?

Post by brian »

I don't think I can get over he just seems like every guy in high school/college who I hated. I believe you but I'm not a huge podcast guy anyway. I can appreciate that it sounds like he has some different, interesting people on at least and not the same 90-100 guys that are on every podcast everywhere.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

If you're not a big podcast guy, his show is going to be rough.

I listened to him for years and back what Syb says. But I just got burned out after awhile. I might go back now and try him again, it's been a good long break at this point.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

I can't stand Rogan. I appreciate everything isn't for everyone. He's a talented host but just not for me.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:28 pm I don't think I can get over he just seems like every guy in high school/college who I hated. I believe you but I'm not a huge podcast guy anyway. I can appreciate that it sounds like he has some different, interesting people on at least and not the same 90-100 guys that are on every podcast everywhere.
Oh, he has the same guys everyone else has on,too. I ignored his pod for years for similar reasons. I saw he was #1 most weeks, and chalked it up to being like Two and a Half Men or McDonalds, and figured a meathead appealing to the masses wasn't for me. Johnnie or maybe someone else linked to an episode with someone that interested me, so I listened, and I was absolutely shocked at who Rogan really is, and what his show is. But like Nonlinear said, if you don't generally like podcasts, you probably won't get through this show. A lot of the interviews are over 2 hours, sometimes over 3 hours. I used to just skip the fight analysis episodes, but I'm having to skip almost half of them now. I can't keep up, and while listening to a woman who gave up a big law firm job to become an expert in spear fishing might be interesting, I can only take so much.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I was just starting to give him a chance when he had Alex Jones on and seemed to buy in to Jones's crazy conspiracies, including the child-sex pizza parlor one. Fuck that. I stopped listening and haven't been terribly interesting in giving him another shot since.
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Rogan palling around with a bunch of alt-right assholes definitely is another reason I have no interest.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Shirley wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:29 pm I was just starting to give him a chance when he had Alex Jones on and seemed to buy in to Jones's crazy conspiracies, including the child-sex pizza parlor one. Fuck that. I stopped listening and haven't been terribly interesting in giving him another shot since.
He makes fun of Alex Jones all the time. He kind of let Jones talk, and they got Alex high and drunk, and Jones went so far off the deep end, Rogan just let him go. In a recent episode, he talked about how he recently called Alex because he was worried. He said Jones has gotten a lot crazier the past couple years, and Joe was concerned. Joe thinks 20 years of Alex Jones chasing down conspiracy theories and getting worked up over every tiny thing broke his brain. He said he became friends with Jones in 1998(?), and Jones was a different guy then. He knows Jones is out of his fucking mind.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giving a crazy person intent on hurting the parents of kids gunned down in their elementary school a loud megaphone for that craziness even if you’re gonna make fun of them the whole time isn’t the tiniest bit noble.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:39 pm
Shirley wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:29 pm I was just starting to give him a chance when he had Alex Jones on and seemed to buy in to Jones's crazy conspiracies, including the child-sex pizza parlor one. Fuck that. I stopped listening and haven't been terribly interesting in giving him another shot since.
He makes fun of Alex Jones all the time. He kind of let Jones talk, and they got Alex high and drunk, and Jones went so far off the deep end, Rogan just let him go. In a recent episode, he talked about how he recently called Alex because he was worried. He said Jones has gotten a lot crazier the past couple years, and Joe was concerned. Joe thinks 20 years of Alex Jones chasing down conspiracy theories and getting worked up over every tiny thing broke his brain. He said he became friends with Jones in 1998(?), and Jones was a different guy then. He knows Jones is out of his fucking mind.
He wasn't just letting him go. He had to slow Jones down so that his producer could go look up the crazy shit Jones was saying about secret pizza code words. And then Rogan and his producer agreed that the DNC emails did sound really weird and maybe there was some secret pizza-related code talk going on in there. And it didn't sound at all like they were just fucking with him.

I get that maybe Rogan likes or liked Jones at some point and that sometimes you have to just go along with the crazy shit your friends say, because they're your friends and maybe that's the best way to get them to shut up about it. But not when you're talking to a guy that famous and dangerous and not when you're doing it on your #1-rated podcast.
Totally Kafkaesque
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Shirley wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:29 pm
The Sybian wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:39 pm
He wasn't just letting him go. He had to slow Jones down so that his producer could go look up the crazy shit Jones was saying about secret pizza code words. And then Rogan and his producer agreed that the DNC emails did sound really weird and maybe there was some secret pizza-related code talk going on in there. And it didn't sound at all like they were just fucking with him.

I get that maybe Rogan likes or liked Jones at some point and that sometimes you have to just go along with the crazy shit your friends say, because they're your friends and maybe that's the best way to get them to shut up about it. But not when you're talking to a guy that famous and dangerous and not when you're doing it on your #1-rated podcast.
You know, I did let Rogan slide on this one. I refused to listen to the episode for a while, then saw a clip that intrigued me, and broke down and watched. You guys are right, it's irresponsible and wrong to give an asshole like that a platform. OTOH, showing what a raving lunatic he is and giving him the rope to make an ass of himself exposes him as a crackpot, but that wasn't the point of the episode. I don't think Joe expected Jones to go completely nuts, though. It does drive me nuts when Joe let's people say shit that isn't true, and he doesn't jump in to correct them. He does warn the audience that he isn't an expert on a lot of things, including politics, but there are times when you can tell he thinks the guest is full of shit, and he isn't confident enough in his knowledge to challenge them.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

If you've got kids (say 5-9), or if you like sweet yet creative animated shows, I highly, highly recommend Hilda. Very sweet, very well done - the sort of show that I wish had written for.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Fuck that! You can’t wait forever for the perfect job and just about
anyone would take the job that’s in front of them.
Really though, once you have kids you can’t be picky about your gig.
Thinking too much about your regrets helps no one.

Justifying your career choices is a first step to accepting them and to a little more
overall happiness. I’m sure you put plenty of care into your work, and choosing to
kill yourself because it isn’t perceived to be as “cool” as other series belittles
everything you worked so hard for, not to mention the efforts of the countless animators,
script-writers and others who worked with you!
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I appreciate the pep talk.

Believe me, if I wait for the "perfect jobs," I will rarely work. And the funny thing is, when they were young (up to 12 years old say) my kids thought I was cool because of what I did. Then came a number of years of eye rolling, and now that their friends think that what I do is cool, I am once again a guy with a cool gig.

Even if I write many shows that they have never seen.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I’d like to thank Rass for that pep talk too!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

New season of American Vandal is genius. The addition of the creepy veneration of elite high school athletes is genius. No idea how they do it
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Planning on watching whenever my postseason ends.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:02 pm New season of American Vandal is genius. The addition of the creepy veneration of elite high school athletes is genius. No idea how they do it
I loved the first season, but the second season was so much better. It was working on an extra 3 or 4 levels. I would get really into the documentary aspect, and kind of forget it was a movie about 2 goofy high school kids making a documentary. Then one of the kids would make a horrible attempt at a joke, and the fake doc would screech to a halt, and bring you back. In the end, the fully unravelled story was really fucking brilliant.
-Pruitt
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:22 pm
brian wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:02 pm New season of American Vandal is genius. The addition of the creepy veneration of elite high school athletes is genius. No idea how they do it
I loved the first season, but the second season was so much better. It was working on an extra 3 or 4 levels. I would get really into the documentary aspect, and kind of forget it was a movie about 2 goofy high school kids making a documentary. Then one of the kids would make a horrible attempt at a joke, and the fake doc would screech to a halt, and bring you back. In the end, the fully unravelled story was really fucking brilliant.
I haven't given this a chance because as it was presented to me, it's about someone who draws dicks on something. Sell me?

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

It's a Making of a Murderer/Serial style fake documentary about someone who draws dicks on something.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

BSF21 wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:20 amI haven't given this a chance because as it was presented to me, it's about someone who draws dicks on something. Sell me?
I don't think we would get along in real life.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

mister d wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:49 am
BSF21 wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:20 amI haven't given this a chance because as it was presented to me, it's about someone who draws dicks on something. Sell me?
Eh I'm not for everyone.

Seriously. It's a mockumentary? It's a comedy? It's a dark look into the subversive world of high schoolers drawing dicks on things?

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

BSF21 wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:57 am
Eh I'm not for everyone.

Seriously. It's a mockumentary? It's a comedy? It's a dark look into the subversive world of high schoolers drawing dicks on things?
Mockumentary comedy in the Serial vein. I'm hyped about season 2 now because season 1 was awesome.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Giff wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:07 am
Eh I'm not for everyone.

Mockumentary comedy in the Serial vein. I'm hyped about season 2 now because season 1 was awesome.
I never got into Serial, maybe that's why I don't get it. Enjoy kids!

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

rass wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:14 am Image

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Its really, really well done. If they broke character for even a second it would have ruined everything but they nailed it.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

mister d wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:39 am Its really, really well done. If they broke character for even a second it would have ruined everything but they nailed it.
I watched the first 4 episodes and stopped.

It just seemed to be getting tired... but these raves will have me re-examining it.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:22 pm
Yeah, I really, really, really wasn't expecting the ending to move me so much.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:46 am
mister d wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:39 am Its really, really well done. If they broke character for even a second it would have ruined everything but they nailed it.
I watched the first 4 episodes and stopped.

It just seemed to be getting tired... but these raves will have me re-examining it.
The first season was very good. The second season is leaps and bounds better. I think the better way to look at the show is not only as a "mockumentary" about those investigation type shows, which it is, but also as an examination of the stereotypes about high schoolers. Season Two takes this to an entirely new level as it takes on topics like bullying, race, class and (as mentioned before) the veneration of elite high school athletes but does it in such a sneaky way that you almost hardly realize they're doing it.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

BSF21 wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:10 am
Giff wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:07 am
Eh I'm not for everyone.

I never got into Serial, maybe that's why I don't get it. Enjoy kids!
Don't get so wrapped up in the Serial aspect. It's really just a very well done mockumentary, and they're mocking the burgeoning True Crime genre... So include Making of a Murderer and a whole slew of others.

The acting is (mostly) really good... The main suspect is just really endearing for some reason.

It's absolutely worth at least giving it a 1 or 2 episode spin. One of the best things on Netflix, no question. I don't know one person I've talked to about this series that hasn't loved it.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:06 am I think the better way to look at the show is not only as a "mockumentary" about those investigation type shows, which it is, but also as an examination of the stereotypes about high schoolers. Season Two takes this to an entirely new level as it takes on topics like bullying, race, class and (as mentioned before) the veneration of elite high school athletes but does it in such a sneaky way that you almost hardly realize they're doing it.
Great take. The mockumentary aspect is just a vehicle to drive the story, and it really is a good story, and the social commentary/character development. The best was when they introduced the star athlete, and showed how he believed he loved everyone, but was actually super condescending and mean. And the development of the athlete's best friend's motivations was really well done.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:25 am
brian wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:06 am I think the better way to look at the show is not only as a "mockumentary" about those investigation type shows, which it is, but also as an examination of the stereotypes about high schoolers. Season Two takes this to an entirely new level as it takes on topics like bullying, race, class and (as mentioned before) the veneration of elite high school athletes but does it in such a sneaky way that you almost hardly realize they're doing it.
Great take. The mockumentary aspect is just a vehicle to drive the story, and it really is a good story, and the social commentary/character development. The best was when they introduced the star athlete, and showed how he believed he loved everyone, but was actually super condescending and mean. And the development of the athlete's best friend's motivations was really well done.
And if that's not enough, it's like four hours full of poop jokes, which are never not funny.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Got really high and watching a documentary about Go of all things (The Surrounding Game) and it’s pretty awesome.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:03 pm Got really high and watching a documentary about Go of all things (The Surrounding Game) and it’s pretty awesome.
Got that one on My List. Wife's had some wine and will probably be asleep within the hour.

Think I'll try to watch it.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

It's not the drawing of dicks or some silly plot, BSF. It's the meticulous attention to detail in a specific form of production of a show where you can take a goofy plot of "someone spraypainted dicks on cars, but who?" and craft a story of twists, turns, mystery, and "oh shit" moments that makes you care about the innocence, guilt, and eventual justice of who is and is not at fault. This type of story telling is typically reserved for an issue as serious as murder (as has been noted), but it's used on a ridiculous premise and knocks it out of the park.

It's emotional manipulation at its finest. With dicks.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

I finally jumped on the American Vandal train and it's great...I'll watch the last episode of season 1 on the bus ride home today; I'll start season 2 tomorrow on my way to the airport.

It's laugh-out-loud funny in a few spots but overall I think it rivals South Park in it's satire and subtle humor...treating a stupid "crime" so serious while satirizing larger social & political structures. Can't wait to start season 2
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Somm was a really interesting documentary about guys trying to become "Master Sommeliers."

A look at an insane world that I had no idea even existed.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Pruitt wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:46 am Somm was a really interesting documentary about guys trying to become "Master Sommeliers."

Seemms like there was just a scandal about sommelier qualifications.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

govmentchedda wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:30 am
Pruitt wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:46 am Somm was a really interesting documentary about guys trying to become "Master Sommeliers."

Seemms like there was just a scandal about sommelier qualifications.
Yeah, we read about it after seeing the movie. Easy to see how the system could be corrupted.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Errementari: The Devil and The Blacksmith is pretty good.

A dark folk tale - in Basque - that is really well done.