Netflix Suggestions?

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

duff
Donny

Re: Netflix Suggestions?

Post by duff »

EnochRoot wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:49 am Then again, I found Stranger Things to be stupid. So file my opinion accordingly.
I love Arrested Development, but I agree with you on Stranger Things.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

duff wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:53 am
EnochRoot wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:49 am Then again, I found Stranger Things to be stupid. So file my opinion accordingly.
I love Arrested Development, but I agree with you on Stranger Things.
I agree with Duff.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Hot Take: Arrested Development is... fine.

I'm not one to react negatively to overhype, but I'm deep into S2 and it's just... fine.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:08 pm Hot Take: Arrested Development is... fine.

I'm not one to react negatively to overhype, but I'm deep into S2 and it's just... fine.
One things about rating shows from days of yore. It's impossible to put your viewing experience into the context of what it was like at the time. Back in the TV stone age when Arrested Development was new, it was unlike anything else on TV. It was so refreshing for its time. It's style has been imitated by other shows, so now it doesn't have the impact on a viewer it used to have. Kind of like when a kid nowadays listens to the Beatles or the Stones, and says such and such new band plays that kind of music and does it better.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:08 pm Hot Take: Arrested Development is... fine.

I've seen about a half dozen episode, and agree that it's... fine.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Pruitt wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:48 pm

I've seen about a half dozen episode, and agree that it's... fine.
Same boat. I watched the first few episodes years back and didn't hate it, but I didn't get why so many raved over it.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

San Carlos nailed it. No one else was doing that meta stuff then.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:26 pm San Carlos nailed it. No one else was doing that meta stuff then.
And the absurdity and fast paced I acknowledged jokes thrown in. The witty play in words. There is so much there, and it was such a departure from anything else on TV. Shows like Parks and Rec, 30 Rock, Good Place and so many others have followed, that it doesn’t seem so ground breaking or bizarre if you are watching it for the first time now. I still love it, but I think part of it is the nostalgia aspect. If I was seeing it for the first time now, I wouldn’t like it nearly as much. Yes, it’s too much of everything, but that’s the point.

I watched the first season of Stranger Things. It was ok. I liked it, but I haven’t even considered watching season 2. My sons friends were all obsessed.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

No offense, but I'm pretty capable of going back and watching "ground-breaking" shows and recognizing that it's "out there" and factoring that into my viewing experience.

I ABSOLUTELY see that the show was different and all that. And I will ABSOLUTELY give it points for being a different flavor.

But it's just not that funny. Sorry, not sorry. Hits the same notes over and over and over.

/asshole
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

But, I fully acknowledge that it's kind of bullshit to critique it retroactively.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:56 am No offense, but I'm pretty capable of going back and watching "ground-breaking" shows and recognizing that it's "out there" and factoring that into my viewing experience.

I ABSOLUTELY see that the show was different and all that. And I will ABSOLUTELY give it points for being a different flavor.

But it's just not that funny. Sorry, not sorry. Hits the same notes over and over and over.

/asshole
Feel same.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

BSF21 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:47 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:56 am No offense, but I'm pretty capable of ... "ground-breaking" sh...it's ...

I ABSOLUTELY ... sh...i...t and all that. And I will ABSOLUTELY give it points for being ...r...

...unny. Sorry, ... s...Hits ... over and over and over.

/asshole
Feel same.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

God almighty that makes me laugh every time!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

I'm not sharing anymore I thought this was a safe space.

(that was A+ work)

Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

kim's convenience is fun. we started watching that during the rain delay last night
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

They Shall Not Grow Old is incredible.

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Not sure if this should go to the netflix, or soccer, or some other place...
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

He was so great. Probably my first favorite soccer player. Once the US was out of US94, I adopted Italy as my favorite team, based greatly on Baggio.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:34 pm Even though I have no interest in motor sports, I've gotten sucked into the 'Formula 1: Drive to survive'. I've got one episode left of season 1, and its really interesting.

Bronto: From watching this, it seems like every race just has an enormous cock-up in the first turn after the start. Why don't they do a rolling start like Indy Car or Nascar? Just tradition?
This show has completely captured me. I definitely feel like watching more F1.
Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Post by Tom 1860 »

So Terriers was never available on UK Netflix, but is now on Star within Disney +

Is this still highly recommended?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

My god yes.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

govmentchedda wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:45 am My god yes.
Seconded.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

govmentchedda wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:44 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:34 pm Even though I have no interest in motor sports, I've gotten sucked into the 'Formula 1: Drive to survive'. I've got one episode left of season 1, and its really interesting.

Bronto: From watching this, it seems like every race just has an enormous cock-up in the first turn after the start. Why don't they do a rolling start like Indy Car or Nascar? Just tradition?
Just started it and really enjoying it.

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

BSF21 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:22 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:44 pm

Just started it and really enjoying it.
As noted on the VRRRROOOMMMM thread, that show got me, my daughter and wife all into the sport to varying degrees. I even went out and bought the (very difficult) PS4 game.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Watching BlackAF. Really enjoying it so far. It's a fake reality show starring Kenya Barris playing himself and actors playing his family. If you are doing that, might as well cast Rashida Jones as your wife, right? I love the vehicle they used to frame the show, one of his daughters is directing the reality show, or more like a documentary, so they alternate between being behind the camera and occasionally showing from behind the scenes, or the daughter directing the cameramen. It has a similar feel to Curb, but it's actually funny and not painfully awkward at all times. And did I mention Rashida Jones?
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:23 am Watching BlackAF. Really enjoying it so far. It's a fake reality show starring Kenya Barris playing himself and actors playing his family. If you are doing that, might as well cast Rashida Jones as your wife, right? I love the vehicle they used to frame the show, one of his daughters is directing the reality show, or more like a documentary, so they alternate between being behind the camera and occasionally showing from behind the scenes, or the daughter directing the cameramen. It has a similar feel to Curb, but it's actually funny and not painfully awkward at all times. And did I mention Rashida Jones?
We've discussed it here before and yes, it's really good. The next-to-last episode when they (very mild spoiler here, but just in case)
[+] spoiler
go to Fiji together as a family and had a bit when Kenya is talking about how he feels like actual Africans are judging him for being the ancestors of "one of the ones that got caught" had me laughing out loud harder than anything in years.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:27 am
The Sybian wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:23 am Watching BlackAF. Really enjoying it so far. It's a fake reality show starring Kenya Barris playing himself and actors playing his family. If you are doing that, might as well cast Rashida Jones as your wife, right? I love the vehicle they used to frame the show, one of his daughters is directing the reality show, or more like a documentary, so they alternate between being behind the camera and occasionally showing from behind the scenes, or the daughter directing the cameramen. It has a similar feel to Curb, but it's actually funny and not painfully awkward at all times. And did I mention Rashida Jones?
We've discussed it here before and yes, it's really good. The next-to-last episode when they (very mild spoiler here, but just in case)
[+] spoiler
go to Fiji together as a family and had a bit when Kenya is talking about how he feels like actual Africans are judging him for being the ancestors of "one of the ones that got caught" had me laughing out loud harder than anything in years.
Barris either has very little ego, or his insecurities are off the charts, as the show so far is all about him looking like a fool while worrying about looking like a fool, which makes him do foolish things.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, it was great. Not sure how a second season will hold up as it really seemed to finish the cycle all in one year.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I started watching 'Murder Among The Mormons' yesterday morning.

Its pretty strange...I was living in Salt Lake when all that went down (I remember there was slew of White Salamander costumes for Halloween one year), and its crazy seeing all the news reports with anchors and hosts that I totally remember.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:30 pm I started watching 'Murder Among The Mormons' yesterday morning.

Its pretty strange...I was living in Salt Lake when all that went down (I remember there was slew of White Salamander costumes for Halloween one year), and its crazy seeing all the news reports with anchors and hosts that I totally remember.
How is that? I know the guy who prosecuted Hoffman fairly well, plus I've used the document guy as an expert witness to prove a forgery. So I want to watch it, but not if it's too annoying with stuff about the Mormons.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Watched that also. We moved out of Utah in 84, so I had never even heard of these events until this doc. But yeah, I had the same reaction to the newspeople.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:39 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:30 pm I started watching 'Murder Among The Mormons' yesterday morning.

How is that? I know the guy who prosecuted Hoffman fairly well, plus I've used the document guy as an expert witness to prove a forgery. So I want to watch it, but not if it's too annoying with stuff about the Mormons.
So far its pretty good...I've only watched 1 1/2 episodes so far.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I really, really liked it. Same as most docs these days they could have easily cut it down into a really good two-hour movie, but it's not padded out as egregious as most these days.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Brontoburglar wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:12 pm kim's convenience is fun. we started watching that during the rain delay last night
very much love these korean canadians
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:23 pm I really, really liked it. Same as most docs these days they could have easily cut it down into a really good two-hour movie, but it's not padded out as egregious as most these days.
I’m an episode in and looking forward to finishing it.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:50 pm
sancarlos wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:27 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:41 pm We watched the remake of 'Rebecca' on Saturday night. And it looked great...with a good cast (Armie Hammer, Kristen Scott Thomas, and Lily James). But wow...was it bad. Stick to original with Laurence Olivier and Joan Fontaine (and directed by Hitchcock).
Good to know. The original old one is excellent.

Also, We greatly enjoyed The Queen’s Gambit
I watched the first episode of gambit about a month ago with the woman and we were not hooked. Started second today and that was probably the best episode of drama tv I’ve seen this year. So we ended up finishing two more episodes. Not sure where it’s going but digging it now that I got past the dourness of first episode.
We watched this last week and while I really like it I have to say it's one of the more predictable shows I've ever seen. (At least, if you've ever seen a sports movie.)
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:26 am
EnochRoot wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:15 pm Damn - love me some Boosh. Stupid, ‘Young Ones’ type humor. Gets me every time.
I was told the, um, thing on the beer I drank last night looked like Old Gregg, and now I've gone down a Mighty Boosh rabbit hole.
crippled.jpg
crippled.jpg (69.58 KiB) Viewed 555 times
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

After movie night, watched "Relaxing Old Footage With Joe Pera" on HBOMax and it's brilliant. Almost like a lost episode of "Joe Pera Talks To You".

If I had a few million bucks, I'd go to Joe Pera and tell him I'll produce anything he wants to make. There needs to be more shows like Joe Pera Talks To You.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I trust Rian Johnson, but not sure if I trust him that much. Wow.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:17 pm After movie night, watched "Relaxing Old Footage With Joe Pera" on HBOMax and it's brilliant. Almost like a lost episode of "Joe Pera Talks To You".

If I had a few million bucks, I'd go to Joe Pera and tell him I'll produce anything he wants to make. There needs to be more shows like Joe Pera Talks To You.
Loved that.

If you are in the mood for something stupid and crude, Eric Andre's "Bad Trips" has a couple of scenes that made it hard for me to breathe. (My wife wet her pants)