Netflix Suggestions?

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Netflix Suggestions?

Post by A_B »

Nonlinear FC wrote:
Jerloma wrote:The Blacklist is well worth your time.

Seconded. Spader carries that show and I like that Alda is a villain.

I'm back in on this picking it up halfway through last year. I think it is entertaining, but it has some incredible loopholes that I just have to accept and try not to dwell on.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Weatherfrog
Maude Lebowski

Post by Weatherfrog »

The Sybian wrote:
And to tie that threadjack back into the topic, if you haven't seen 6 Feet Under, I'd highly recommend. Not sure if Netflix shows HBO series, but anything can be found for free on the internet.
Amazon Prime has most of the HBO series streaming for free. I don't know about 6 feet under, but The Wire, Sopranos, Rome, Boardwalk Empire--they are all there.

I have started watching The Sopranos. I've never seen it. I do not love it, but I get why it was such a big deal 10 years ago. It clearly set the stage for all the other great shows we are currently enjoying.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Weatherfrog wrote:
The Sybian wrote:
And to tie that threadjack back into the topic, if you haven't seen 6 Feet Under, I'd highly recommend. Not sure if Netflix shows HBO series, but anything can be found for free on the internet.
Amazon Prime has most of the HBO series streaming for free. I don't know about 6 feet under, but The Wire, Sopranos, Rome, Boardwalk Empire--they are all there.

I have started watching The Sopranos. I've never seen it. I do not love it, but I get why it was such a big deal 10 years ago. It clearly set the stage for all the other great shows we are currently enjoying.
Just finished the Sopranos for the first time, and I think I had the same attitude about it that you do. However, the more I watched it, the more I liked it. Watched the first episode of 6 Feet Under; not sure if I should continue with it.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

EdRomero wrote: Just finished the Sopranos for the first time, and I think I had the same attitude about it that you do. However, the more I watched it, the more I liked it. Watched the first episode of 6 Feet Under; not sure if I should continue with it.
I loved Six Feet Under. Maybe it helped being in the darkest time of my life, because it is a damned dark show, but it is incredibly good. Great acting, extremely deep character development, and the final season really wrapped shit up beautifully. The final episode is the best series finale I've ever seen. Strange thing is, I taped in (VHS!) and it took me 3 years to finally watch it. Mostly, I think I just didn't want it to end. A friend and coworker harassed me throughout the period to watch so they could discuss. It is the only time I ever cried because of a TV show or movie. Rainn Wilson is in for a season, and his portrayal of his character is so damned good.

Interesting take on the Sopranos. I could totally see that. It was so revolutionary at the time, but so many shows are shot in a similar way now. Kind of liking watching Pulp Fiction now.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Finally started Trailer Park Boys last night. Only 3-4 episodes in but I'm loving it. Absolutely hilarious and unique.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

As they usually do before a Bond movie comes out, a bunch are currently on Netflix. No Dr. NO though :(
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Jerloma wrote:Finally started Trailer Park Boys last night. Only 3-4 episodes in but I'm loving it. Absolutely hilarious and unique.

Enjoy the ride!

Smokes, now.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Mankind: The Story Of All Of Us is well worth your time.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Second to Mankind. James Brolin has a surprisingly fantastic narrating voice.

Also never thought of the impact of vulcanized rubber before seeing that.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Jerloma wrote:
The Sybian wrote:
Jerloma wrote:Black Fish is a documentary worth your time. Sea World is pretty much the worst place in the country.
Actually caught about an hour of that. Holy shit was that disturbing. I really hope it was an exaggerated hit piece with interviews of disgruntled former employees, but even taking that into consideration, it was still horrible. Made me feel guilty for going there as a kid. I feel bad for the animals at zoos, but dolphins and whales are so much more intelligent and presumably cognizant of their conditions.
You gotta see the end. The autopsy report on the girl who died in 2010 would make Jack the Ripper blush. Sea World fucking blamed the dead girl for having a pony tail and said it wasn't an act of aggression and somehow that passed in court. That whale (dolphin to be pedantic) killed two people and barely killed a few more and it's still performing to this day.

Powerful movie, which has had a huge impact on the company.

http://www.ibtimes.com/can-seaworld-rec ... be-1751189" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not the greatest article, but it gives you some idea of how devastating this has been for the company.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I haven't started to turn against The Blacklist, but as mentioned up-thread, they are really pushing it in terms of loopholes.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

L-Jam3 wrote:Second to Mankind. James Brolin has a surprisingly fantastic narrating voice.

He does.

I'm only on the 2nd episode but I've learned so much already. Like I had no idea how important fire was in our brains becoming so big or things you don’t even think about, like how much we owe to wolves. We only became this unstoppable predator when we started taming and teaming up with wolves.
Hoosier
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Hoosier »

Black Mirror. Cool anthology series.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Jerloma wrote:
L-Jam3 wrote:Second to Mankind. James Brolin has a surprisingly fantastic narrating voice.

He does.

I'm only on the 2nd episode but I've learned so much already. Like I had no idea how important fire was in our brains becoming so big or things you don’t even think about, like how much we owe to wolves. We only became this unstoppable predator when we started taming and teaming up with wolves.
Watched EP. 1 last night. Pretty solid. (And not shocking at all that it only has 2 stars.)
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

How hot is the chick who invented agriculture?
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I am in, and so are you.

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Blocked at work, but I can only assume that is the awesomeness that is Wet Hot American Summer?
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Giff wrote:Blocked at work, but I can only assume that is the awesomeness that is Wet Hot American Summer?
Indeed.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

And Introducing: Jon Hamm
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Not overly ashamed to admit that the Gilmore Girls might be more than just a straw on a camel's back.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote:Not overly ashamed to admit that the Gilmore Girls might be more than just a straw on a camel's back.
Ha, saw this today and hoped my wife would have the same thought. Full House wasn't enough, even with my daughter's love of Full House.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Okay so I am a Netflix disc subscriber. I do not do streaming as I want to get new releases and don't mind throwing a disc in and returning it by mail. I am also cheap and on the 2 disc at a time plan. So I have appeared to hit an amazing Netflix bug. Every time I return a disc they send me 2 in its place. I have had this happen as a special occasion a few times in the past but never in succession and never more than 1 bonus disc. I am currently up to 5 and will see what happens tomorrow when the next one gets back to their distribution center.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

They've been sending us extras lately too. We have the three disc plan and were up to 5 recently.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

The Detectorists is quite good if you're into the quirky/wry British thing. Has that skinny dude from the original Office and Harry Potter in it. Only 6 episodes so not a huge commitment.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

P.D.X. wrote:The Detectorists is quite good if you're into the quirky/wry British thing. Has that skinny dude from the original Office and Harry Potter in it. Only 6 episodes so not a huge commitment.
Think I'll check that out.

If you like British, check out W1A. Top notch comedy. So far, 9 episodes, and they have all had laugh out loud moments. Satirical and very funny.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Making a Murderer is awesome so far, 4 episodes in.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Giff wrote:Making a Murderer is awesome so far, 4 episodes in.

I'm getting annoyed with The Internet because it keeps trying to throw spoilers at me on this show. I guess people are tracking down and harassing some of the folks on the prosecution side of things. I'm up through episode 5 and I can see why that might be the case.

When you look at the last 3 or 4 years, the number of stories that highlight the unethical and incestuous relationship between judges, prosecutors and law enforcement really makes you question our system of justice.

/soapbox
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Hundred year Old Man Who Climbed Out The Window and Disappeared was a lot of fun.

Well made, entertaining movie all the way through.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Making a Murderer might need its own thread. The "mainstream media" has now picked up the trail, which will likely cause the same second/third bounce for the show over the next couple of weeks.

What is going to start turning up more and more are things that don't play very well for Steven Avery and Brendan Dassey. While some of the information that wasn't in the documentary comes from Brendan's false confessions, other circumstantial stuff doesn't play very well for Steven in particular.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Nonlinear FC wrote:Making a Murderer might need its own thread. The "mainstream media" has now picked up the trail, which will likely cause the same second/third bounce for the show over the next couple of weeks.

What is going to start turning up more and more are things that don't play very well for Steven Avery and Brendan Dassey. While some of the information that wasn't in the documentary comes from Brendan's false confessions, other circumstantial stuff doesn't play very well for Steven in particular.
Really fizzled for me about episode 6. And reading stuff on internet that is pretty damning for Avery at least.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Turbo Kid

I've watched this a couple of times and can't decide if it's actually a good movie, but it is a lot of fun. Nice twist on the post-apololyptic genre.

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Not on Netflix (I think), but the wife and I started Togetherness last night. I enjoyed the pilot, and I really like the fact that the show is only 30 minutes.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Great show. Assume you heard the bad news that this season (2) is its last?
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I did hear it was cancelled before we started watching. It's kind of liberating knowing that we know it will be over after a certain # of episodes. We don't need to fret about whether it will stay around or not. Also, Catastrophe season 2 starts on Saturday. We loved season 1.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

brian wrote:Great show. Assume you heard the bad news that this season (2) is its last?
One more episode. Tough to see a happy ending for all involved (unless Amanda Peet decides to let me father her child.)

I lost it when Michelle head-butted (blonde) Katie Aselton.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

devilfluff wrote:
AB_skin_test wrote:Longmire also got some love from a critic I usually like. I'd have to dig that up to remember who it was though.
I really like Longmire. I don't watch much non-SciFi or car-related TV, so that may or may not be useful to you.
I was doing my usual Netflix thing - an hour of searching and then shutting it down (Canadian Netflix not as good as your version), and I decided to try the pilot of "Longmire."

Really liked it. Serious without being too dark, and really well-acted and structured. Will definitely be returning to the series.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

BBC's Life Stories is fantastic. Some of the best nature doc work I've seen.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Watched first episode of last chance u. Will check out the rest. Worth watching.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Pruitt wrote:
devilfluff wrote:
AB_skin_test wrote:Longmire also got some love from a critic I usually like. I'd have to dig that up to remember who it was though.
I really like Longmire. I don't watch much non-SciFi or car-related TV, so that may or may not be useful to you.
I was doing my usual Netflix thing - an hour of searching and then shutting it down (Canadian Netflix not as good as your version), and I decided to try the pilot of "Longmire."

Really liked it. Serious without being too dark, and really well-acted and structured. Will definitely be returning to the series.
Have you ever read the books? They're great.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I'm going to order a couple this very evening.