Netflix Suggestions?

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: Netflix Suggestions?

Post by The Sybian »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:27 pm It's a quirky show, part high school comedy movie, part British comedy series, but I feel like the characters have deeper layers to them, and are more compelling. Kind of the standard HS comedy tropes and characters, but done with a twist, and done better.
Just read an interview with the creator of the show, and I think she would approve of my description.

Laurie Nunn, show creator wrote:We all absolutely love the teen genre, particularly the John Hughes films of the 1980s so we really wanted to make the show have the feeling that it's an homage or that it has this nostalgic backdrop, but that we are talking about very contemporary, modern themes and storylines for the characters. So in a way we were also trying to take this tried and tested tropes of the genre and sort of flip them on their head and show a different perspective on it. I think those two things together and then with the Britishness just make it feel like it's its own thing.
I usually suck at critically writing about books, movies, etc... In school, I never picked up on symbolism or deeper shit, so this made me good.

Finished the series, and I really hope they make a second season.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:45 pm
The Sybian wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:27 pm It's a quirky show, part high school comedy movie, part British comedy series, but I feel like the characters have deeper layers to them, and are more compelling. Kind of the standard HS comedy tropes and characters, but done with a twist, and done better.
Just read an interview with the creator of the show, and I think she would approve of my description.

Laurie Nunn, show creator wrote:We all absolutely love the teen genre, particularly the John Hughes films of the 1980s so we really wanted to make the show have the feeling that it's an homage or that it has this nostalgic backdrop, but that we are talking about very contemporary, modern themes and storylines for the characters. So in a way we were also trying to take this tried and tested tropes of the genre and sort of flip them on their head and show a different perspective on it. I think those two things together and then with the Britishness just make it feel like it's its own thing.
I usually suck at critically writing about books, movies, etc... In school, I never picked up on symbolism or deeper shit, so this made me feel good.

Finished the series, and I really hope they make a second season.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Were your reports also riddled with lots of careless editing and formatting errors?

/being an asshole
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:55 pm Were your reports also riddled with lots of careless editing and formatting errors?

/being an asshole
Ha. Makes it harder for me to bash Trump for Tweets like "hamberders", but I'm not the President carrying out my agenda publicly.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The 4 episode "Fat/Salt/Acid/Heat" is really good.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:24 am The 4 episode "Fat/Salt/Acid/Heat" is really good.
Agreed. Watched Fat and Salt a few months back, and Acid yesterday on a flight.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:08 am
DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:24 am The 4 episode "Fat/Salt/Acid/Heat" is really good.
Agreed. Watched Fat and Salt a few months back, and Acid yesterday on a flight.
We watched Acid the other night, and really enjoyed it. And doubly so because we are heading to Merida/The Yucatan in a few weeks.

The Salt episode was interesting, but I kept thinking 'Whoa...that's a lot of salt"...
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I've started to cook a bit more, and one of the things that I've been surprised by is how much salt is added to pasta when cooking. Prior to recently, I'd been quite sparing with the salt in my pasta water.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:38 pm I've started to cook a bit more, and one of the things that I've been surprised by is how much salt is added to pasta when cooking. Prior to recently, I'd been quite sparing with the salt in my pasta water.
This should probably go in the confessions thread, but until last week, I have never cooked spaghetti (or apparently watched someone cook). Instead of displaying that ignorance to my wife and MIL, I googled it and that was something that really stood out to me.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:03 pm We watched Acid the other night, and really enjoyed it.
I'm reading through the book. Amusing that one of the illustrations titled "sources of acid" had among the bottles of vinegar and wine a little bottle labelled LSD.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Wife and I are watching a French series "Call My Agent"

Very entertaining - good characters, and an acidic look at the entertainment industry.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Anyone watch "You" yet? Very good and scary in a real world kind of way.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Jerloma wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:58 pm Anyone watch "You" yet? Very good and scary in a real world kind of way.
Watched the first episode while slightly high and found it disturbing, in a good way.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:32 pm Just watched The Bill Murray Chronicles on Netflix. Nice, quick fun movie about Bill Murray’s interactions with the general public.
Just saw this. Didn't realize "Bill Murray stories" were such a big urban legend phenomenon, but I easily accepted the premise and enjoyed the ride. Kind of a documentary on a whimsical premise. I'm sure I mentioned this years ago, but a high school buddy was a bottom tier PA on Royal Tenenbaums, and had frequent interactions with Bill Murray. Everything in this movie fit my friends stories. It's like whatever happens to a person going from regular to celebrity, Murray went the opposite direction. Like he has less ego, self importance or gravitas than a normal person, despite knowing people freak out over meeting him. I love the theory that he is trying to live life as though he is in a Second City sketch, just throwing himself in weird situations and "yes, and-ing" his way through to see what happens. I love the dude who told the cops he refuses to tell Bill Murray to stop playing tambourine, but invited the cop in to tell him.

Anyways, looking back, I don't recall my friend talking about anyone else on the set of Royal Tenenbaums, but he had a ton of Bill Murray just being a weird guy in the greatest way. He knew everyone's name and made a point to casually talk to everyone. My buddy was operating an elevator on set one day. Murray gets in, doesn't even look at him or say anything until they start to move. Then he says in a low monotone, "hey Rob, how are you liking this job?" Before my friend can answer, Murray dejectedly says, "yeah, I guess it must have it's ups and downs."
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Murray is Buddhist, or at least he really follows a lot of its tenets. He basically uses those interactions as a means of kind of centering himself and just connecting to people and giving them a gift of that memory.

The documentary is really wonderful.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:15 pm Murray is Buddhist, or at least he really follows a lot of its tenets.
So he's got that going for him.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

A Man Called Ove is excellent.

I figured that it was going to be a light-hearted romp about an old man (like The Hundred year Old Man Who Climbed Out The Window - which was also great)... but it's not.

It's really well acted, and wholly believable and while there are sweet, light-hearted scenes... it gets pretty damn dusty in a few spots - without being mawkish or obvious.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:33 pm A Man Called Ove is excellent.

I figured that it was going to be a light-hearted romp about an old man (like The Hundred year Old Man Who Climbed Out The Window - which was also great)... but it's not.

It's really well acted, and wholly believable and while there are sweet, light-hearted scenes... it gets pretty damn dusty in a few spots - without being mawkish or obvious.
It's a very good book too
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:39 am
Giff wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:10 am I keep hearing that about Roma.
The artistry on display is incredible.
I struggle a bit with black and white movies, but honestly that probably UPS the degree of difficulty in this day and age. It was very very well done.

THe lead actress was "blah" for me in the first half of the movie, but holy shit what a performance in the second half. It was her first movie, which may even help with the character she was portraying, but in hindsight, it was all played pretty well by her.
[+] spoiler
And I don't know if the birth scene and ocean scenes were single take. If not, it's the greatest editing I've seen in some time. I almost feel they HAD to be single takes, even if it isn't the first take, which...if so...then give the lady a friggin oscar already.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

A_B wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:58 pm
Pruitt wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:39 am
Giff wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:10 am I keep hearing that about Roma.
The artistry on display is incredible.
I struggle a bit with black and white movies, but honestly that probably UPS the degree of difficulty in this day and age. It was very very well done.

THe lead actress was "blah" for me in the first half of the movie, but holy shit what a performance in the second half. It was her first movie, which may even help with the character she was portraying, but in hindsight, it was all played pretty well by her.
[+] spoiler
And I don't know if the birth scene and ocean scenes were single take. If not, it's the greatest editing I've seen in some time. I almost feel they HAD to be single takes, even if it isn't the first take, which...if so...then give the lady a friggin oscar already.
[+] spoiler
I;d heard that the actress wasn't sure how the birthing scene was going to play out. So she was stunned at the still birth. Could be apocryphal, but she tore my heart out in that scene. The sequence from the moment they arrived in the furniture store until the end of the hospital scene was one of the most incredible things I have ever seen. And there were other unbelievable sequences - like when she went looking for Fermin in that shitty town where the paramilitaries were training.
I still am amazed at that movie.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

EdRomero wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:54 pm

Was gonna say this, too. Wife and I listened to it "on tape" during a road trip a few summers ago.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

[+] spoiler
Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:23 am
EdRomero wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:54 pm

Was gonna say this, too. Wife and I listened to it "on tape" during a road trip a few summers ago.
[+] spoiler
Watching the movie, my wife and I became convinced that Ove was on the spectrum. (Young Ove is very similar to our son in many ways) Was this touched upon in the book?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

[+] spoiler
It's never put out explicitly, but if you know anything about the spectrum (our son isn't on it, but he has ADHD and some other stuff that had us pretty attuned to issues) it's pretty clearly referencing them.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:48 am
[+] spoiler
It's never put out explicitly, but if you know anything about the spectrum (our son isn't on it, but he has ADHD and some other stuff that had us pretty attuned to issues) it's pretty clearly referencing them.
Yeah, I thought so.

Which added a depth to both the story and the portrayal of the main character.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Just watched The Two Killings of Same Cooke and really liked it. Now I'm gonna go down the Old Timey Music rabbit hole
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

EdRomero wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:26 am Just watched The Two Killings of Same Cooke and really liked it. Now I'm gonna go down the Old Timey Music rabbit hole
I'll definitely watch that.

Love Sam Cooke - one of the greatest voices ever.

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

At the wedding I was just at, I happened to sit at a table with a guy who work on the financial/production side of things at Netflix. 'Sunderland 'Til I Die' was one of his projects. I told him how much I enjoyed it and he said 'Yeah....it turned out a lot different then was planned'. Was supposed to be a 'Redemption' story, but it took a different turn.

I also asked him about a second season (I heard on the Guardian football podcast that its in the works), and he said he really couldn't talk about it at the moment.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I was looking forward to watching Hands Of Stone the Roberto Duran biopic.

Loved that era of boxing, and Duran's life was crazy.

I lasted 40 minutes. Nothing terrible about the movie, but just no need to spend another hour and a bit watching it.

Going to watch a couple of his brawls on YouTube.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Derry Girls is excellent. Funny as all hell.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:51 pm Derry Girls is excellent. Funny as all hell.
My wife started watching that. She had to turn on the subtitles.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Giff wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:36 am Big Mouth is so fucking great. I'm only three episodes into the new season, but I've cracked up non-stop.
Started watching last week. It's so funny. Yesterday's desecration of the flag of the great City of St. Louis can be directly traced to Big Mouth's jizz soaked antics.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Losers is a new series about famous and more obscure sports losers.

First episode about boxer Michael Bentt is good enough, but the second one about English soccer team Torquay United is just great.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:29 pm Losers is a new series about famous and more obscure sports losers.

First episode about boxer Michael Bentt is good enough, but the second one about English soccer team Torquay United is just great.
I wasn't very into the boxer, so I'm glad to hear subsequent episodes get better.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

"The Dawn Wall" is now on Netflix. Awesome documentary.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:49 am
Pruitt wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:29 pm Losers is a new series about famous and more obscure sports losers.

I wasn't very into the boxer, so I'm glad to hear subsequent episodes get better.
Yeah, the boxer's story started really well, but once Mickey Rourke showed up it became "meh."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Watched the first couple of episodes of Gommorah - an Italian crime show based on an incredible book and movie.

Whereas the original story was non-fiction, the series has set up a fictionalized crime world based on the Camorrah.

As tense as any crime movie I've seen in years.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I'm not sure why internet outlets are saying to watch Triple Frontier. I mean, the acting is ok. But the story is just fucking awful.

At about an hour in I was like "Is this shit over yet?" An there was still a little hour left. I slogged through it hoping for a twist ending, but nothing ever came. Just avoid it.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Queer Eye is probably the sweetest, nicest, most uplifting show out there.

What they did for the sisters who ran the BBQ joint was incredible.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

It's exactly what you expect it to be. Don't watch it with the kids.