Netflix Suggestions?

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Re: Netflix Suggestions?

Post by TT2.0 »

Pruitt wrote:
govmentchedda wrote:And a shitload of other reports of him being skeevey as fuck, to be fair.

And officially coming out after this? That is one of the sleaziest moves imaginable.

Maybe Im on the wrong side of this, but let me take a stab at defending Kevin Spacey a little bit. From my (admittedly limited) understanding, he didnt actually have sex with a 14 year old or assault him, he just hit on him. I agree that coming out as gay in his apology was shitty and sleazy, no arguement that as a deflection it was crappy. That being said, he didnt actually rape a kid, statutorily or otgerwise. He also isnt denying that it happened, just saying he doesnt remember. Basically I read his statement as him saying "Im sorry. I dont remember the incident but i drink all the time back then and ive done shitty things so im sorry this happened, i dont remember it but it sounds like me and im sorry if my advances hurt this kid, im not that guy anymore and im going to be honest about things ive kept private in the past".

as far as it goes, what else can he really say? especially if he doesnt remember hittinh on someone at a party three decades ago? besides not coming out as gay which i admit was shitty, what could he have said that people would not rip him apart for? hes not denying it, hes apologizing, what else can he do? i guess id feel different if he actually slept with the kid...but i dont understand what he was supposed to say if it wasnt that
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

We have a weird need to see everything as forgivable.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

mister d wrote:We have a weird need to see everything as forgivable.

i dont get why its an unforgiveable thing if nothing happened?
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

TT2.0 wrote:
Pruitt wrote:
govmentchedda wrote:And a shitload of other reports of him being skeevey as fuck, to be fair.

And officially coming out after this? That is one of the sleaziest moves imaginable.

Maybe Im on the wrong side of this, but let me take a stab at defending Kevin Spacey a little bit. From my (admittedly limited) understanding, he didnt actually have sex with a 14 year old or assault him, he just hit on him. I agree that coming out as gay in his apology was shitty and sleazy, no arguement that as a deflection it was crappy. That being said, he didnt actually rape a kid, statutorily or otgerwise. He also isnt denying that it happened, just saying he doesnt remember. Basically I read his statement as him saying "Im sorry. I dont remember the incident but i drink all the time back then and ive done shitty things so im sorry this happened, i dont remember it but it sounds like me and im sorry if my advances hurt this kid, im not that guy anymore and im going to be honest about things ive kept private in the past".

as far as it goes, what else can he really say? especially if he doesnt remember hittinh on someone at a party three decades ago? besides not coming out as gay which i admit was shitty, what could he have said that people would not rip him apart for? hes not denying it, hes apologizing, what else can he do? i guess id feel different if he actually slept with the kid...but i dont understand what he was supposed to say if it wasnt that

1) No need for details here - but when an adult male tries to force sex on a teenager, damage occurs. True, not a full blown rape, but it's a disgusting thing to do, and no amount of claiming to be drunk can forgive it.

2) What really grates is his using this moment to come out of the closet. Is it because of some sudden sincere need to admit the truth? Some misguided effort at deflection? Too, too many people will connect the two revelations.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Finished Stranger Things 2. Really, really liked it, more than the first season even.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote:Finished Stranger Things 2. Really, really liked it, more than the first season even.

Is Stranger Things kid appropriate? It's been on the top of my list for a while, and my son mentioned his friends watched it. He is 11, and less emotionally mature when it comes to what I think he could handle. Not sure if it is scarey or otherwise inappropriate.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

The Sybian wrote:
tennbengal wrote:Finished Stranger Things 2. Really, really liked it, more than the first season even.

Is Stranger Things kid appropriate? It's been on the top of my list for a while, and my son mentioned his friends watched it. He is 11, and less emotionally mature when it comes to what I think he could handle. Not sure if it is scarey or otherwise inappropriate.

Not 11. At least in my opinion. I wouldn't let my 11 year old daughter watch it. I would think 14+ would be more appropriate. That is for season 1. I haven't watched season 2. Just be expected to be disappointed. It did not live up to the hype that surrounded it.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

You're the best judge of your son's maturity level. It's definitely not for kids under 10. And the 13-15 year olds in this season are swearing now. So, maybe? I'd have watched this in 6th grade, personally.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The Sybian wrote:

I would have had no problem with my 11-year-old watching it, but ymmv. Not much sex, no nudity, some swearing, and the real issues come from the dread as much as from gore.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

It's a solid PG-13 imho.

I was also a bit underwhelmed. Just wasn't enough in the storyline to explain why shit was happening. I did enjoy the final episode though and appreciate all the callbacks to 80's movies (ET, Aliens, etc.).
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I think a less mature 11 is probably going to be hit with some nightmares. I mean

[+] spoiler
sean astin being devoured by the devil dogs comes quickly to mind. lots of others that us olds don't flinch at anymore would fuck with a kid not used to that stuff.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I totally thought The Mist was a SyFy retread... Discovered it was an NO last night and watched it with the wife. Loved it.

I mean, it's very much a S. King production with his typical array of good, bad and in-between characters. I love that, but it was a little predictable in the pilot. Curious to see how it evolves.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Agree that your ST2 spoiler was was about the goriest the show has gone.

Also:

[+] spoiler
http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/spike-pulls-the-plug-on-stephen-kings-the-mist
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

She won't admit it, but I think some of it freaked out my 17 year-old and affected her sleep.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Thanks for the feedback. I'll have to watch it before letting him. Some swearing I can handle him seeing, but I think he'll get freaked out by gore. When he was 7, he was freaked out by the Berenstain Bears episode where Sis was visited by Envy in her dream. My daughter was 4 or 5, and thought it was hilarious.

-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Kids are weird. My oldest is afraid of his own shadow, and my youngest is ready for the octagon.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote:Kids are weird. My oldest is afraid of his own shadow, and my youngest is ready for the octagon.

This one was hilarious. He was shrieking and screaming like he witnessed a murder. I ran upstairs, saw what they were watching, and tried not to laugh. My daughter kept laughing at the show, and it took 2 hours to calm him down, and he had nightmares for several days. He was terrified of Little Red Riding Hood when he was little. His Kindergarten teacher thought he was joking when she read it, because he freaked out so badly. Somehow I have a doll that was my sisters. It is Little Red, you flip the dress over, and the Grandmother/Wolf is on the opposite side. My son saw it when he was 4 or 5, and freaked the fuck out. I'm thinking Stranger Things is a a hard no.

Meanwhile, my wife still has nightmares if she sees something scary on TV. I was watching Mindhunter last night, and my wife walked in right as they got into a car accident. She was screaming at me, telling me I'd have nightmares watching a car accident show. Didn't bother to tell her the show is about studying serial killers to understand their psychology and why they kill.

Enjoying Mindhunter 3 eps in. I was obsessed with the FBI Behavioral Analysis Unit in college, wrote a thesis paper on criminal profiling, and even got to interview the head of the profiling unit of the NYPD. I was gungho on making that a career path, until I read the memoir of John Douglas, one of the founders of the BAU, and saw how it completely fucked him up. The main character in Mindhunter is loosely based on Douglas. A lot of the character and plot is based on reality, and the conversations they have with the killers is based on reality, but they used fictional characters I'm assuming to give them some creative license.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The Sybian wrote:Thanks for the feedback. I'll have to watch it before letting him. Some swearing I can handle him seeing, but I think he'll get freaked out by gore. When he was 7, he was freaked out by the Berenstain Bears episode where Sis was visited by Envy in her dream. My daughter was 4 or 5, and thought it was hilarious.

Holy shit, dude. Exact same. Trying to explain that idiom to a 5 year old is impossible; you go from calming the freak out to trying to explain why someone would turn “green” if they were jealous. Fuck those bears.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Also felt like a worthy sig change.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

mister d wrote:
The Sybian wrote:Thanks for the feedback. I'll have to watch it before letting him. Some swearing I can handle him seeing, but I think he'll get freaked out by gore. When he was 7, he was freaked out by the Berenstain Bears episode where Sis was visited by Envy in her dream. My daughter was 4 or 5, and thought it was hilarious.

Holy shit, dude. Exact same. Trying to explain that idiom to a 5 year old is impossible; you go from calming the freak out to trying to explain why someone would turn “green” if they were jealous. Fuck those bears.

I know the guy who wrote that episode. Want his home address?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

govmentchedda wrote:Terriers
Terriers
Terriers
Terriers
Freaks and Geeks
Terriers
Terriers

Apparently leaving Netflix next month if you haven't watched it yet...
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Avram
Brandt

Post by Avram »

With the announcement of its return in Israel New Years Eve, I eagerly await season 2 of Fauda
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

rass wrote:
govmentchedda wrote:Terriers
Terriers
Terriers
Terriers
Freaks and Geeks
Terriers
Terriers

Apparently leaving Netflix next month if you haven't watched it yet...

All 11 seasons of Always Sunny In Philadelphia leaving Netflix as well.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Ice Guardians is a great watch if it hasn't been thrown out before. I'm not looking through 11 pages of shit.

Watch it. It good. Fin.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

9 is fantastic. Probably my favorite of the Pixar-style films.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qApXdc1WPY
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Is there a legitimate reason for Netflix to remove shows and reduce viewing options? I'm sure they have plenty of bandwidth, so the only reason I can think of is that it increases the likelihood that you'll view their new options.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote:Is there a legitimate reason for Netflix to remove shows and reduce viewing options? I'm sure they have plenty of bandwidth, so the only reason I can think of is that it increases the likelihood that you'll view their new options.

A lot of times it's the studios that pull their content when a contract expires. A lot of Fox stuff is coming off because I think they are going to try their own streaming service.

Netflix would like to keep them, but they're probably just as happy to feature the stuff they're making more prominently as well.
Last edited by A_B on Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Rights fees. If Netflix doesn't want to pay whatever the It's Always Sunny people want for the right to keep streaming it, then it goes away.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

sancarlos wrote:Is there a legitimate reason for Netflix to remove shows and reduce viewing options? I'm sure they have plenty of bandwidth, so the only reason I can think of is that it increases the likelihood that you'll view their new options.

They have to license content and those licenses expire. Not that there's not some self-serving angle, but that's generally why shows/movies come and go.

ETA: triple jinx
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I think it has to do with the rights fees.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Sooo, rights fees? Yes or no?
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I think Netflix has to update their account to enable 3rd party hosting.
Noli Timere Messorem
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

HIGHLY recommend relatively new original series, Godless.

Amazing cast taking on a kind of dark twist on the Western.

7 episode mini-series that the wife and I blasted through over the weekend, finishing up last night.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I have seen a number of bizarre Japanese and Korean series on Netflix - I just love when things are intentionally over the top.

This series is so, so completely strange that I really wish that weed was legal already.

Unlike anything you've ever seen - what makes it even funnier is that the guy is obsessed with desserts. Incomprehensible - clearly loyal to its roots as a manga.

https://www.netflix.com/ca/title/80175348
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

The Trip to Spain is up. Doesn't disappoint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTvy8ab1NSo
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Not here yet...

Can't wait though, the previous two series were excellent.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

You really brightened my day with that news, PDX.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote:Anyone else checking out Ozark?

REALLY good show starring Jason Bateman and Laura Linney. I hadn't heard anything about this show and it just popped up and now I'm hooked. 5 episodes in, having started on Friday.

Blew through Ozark in 3 days. Holy fuck, this show is amazing. So many twists and turns, and almost every character should be despised, and yet you kind of understand them, and maybe even like them at times. Except Jason Bateman, you can't help but love Bateman in everything, even when he is doing despicable things. This is just so opposite of what you expect from a Jason Bateman show, and he directed 4 of the episodes. I really hope they have a second season, but in another way, it was just such a beautifully horrific show, it might be better left unsullied.

One downside, Ruth, the semi-evil 19 year old trailer trash girl looks a lot like a girl on my soccer team.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

If you are looking for a christmas show, check out "A Very Murray Christmas" from a few years ago. Bill Murray, Paul Schaffer, David Johanson, Jenny Lewis (from Rilo Kiley), Phoenix, George Clooney. Miley Cyrus manages to show up and not be completely annoying. Good stuff, only 1 hour long.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The Sybian wrote:
Nonlinear FC wrote:Anyone else checking out Ozark?

REALLY good show starring Jason Bateman and Laura Linney. I hadn't heard anything about this show and it just popped up and now I'm hooked. 5 episodes in, having started on Friday.

Blew through Ozark in 3 days. Holy fuck, this show is amazing. So many twists and turns, and almost every character should be despised, and yet you kind of understand them, and maybe even like them at times. Except Jason Bateman, you can't help but love Bateman in everything, even when he is doing despicable things. This is just so opposite of what you expect from a Jason Bateman show, and he directed 4 of the episodes. I really hope they have a second season, but in another way, it was just such a beautifully horrific show, it might be better left unsullied.

One downside, Ruth, the semi-evil 19 year old trailer trash girl looks a lot like a girl on my soccer team.

I don't know if it's on Netflix, but if you want a dark ass Bateman movie/performance, stop what you're doing and go watch Bad Words. Awesome movie.