Netflix Suggestions?

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: Netflix Suggestions?

Post by brian »

I really, really, like Mulaney's TV writing. Just about every show he's written for I love, especially stuff like Documentary Now, but I just don't like his standup for some reason. C'est la vie.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I just binged through Safe over the weeked through last night. Harlan Coben written/produced and starring Michael C. Hall from Six Feet Under. Murder mystery with tons and tons of plot twists... Though not so convoluted that if you're paying a fair amount of attention, it's not annoying. (Dumb people should just steer clear, but I'm not talking to those folks here.)

I really liked it. Hall's British accent had me wondering if he was American or not, though I'm sure Brits would take issue with various aspects.

Felt like a Coben page-turner.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Avram
Brandt

Post by Avram »

Fauda season 2 returns Friday. Season 1 was outstanding
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

We've been away for about 5 years and now we're back and are there a lot less music docs (or maybe docs in general)?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 2:21 pm We've been away for about 5 years and now we're back and are there a lot less music docs (or maybe docs in general)?
I don't really know the answer to your question, but I do know trying to find something not produced by Netflix is a fucking mess. If I don't know EXACTLY what I want to watch I usually don't even bother.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I watched The Almighty Johnsons a few years ago on regular TV.

A well done show - Norse Gods living in present day New Zealand. Avoids most of the cliches of the genre.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

The new Steve Martin / Martin Short special is worthy of your time. Wife and I laughed throughout it.
Noli Timere Messorem
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Break with Michelle Wolf needs some retooling.

Just its first episode, and you can see what her strengths are, but it was pretty lame.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I guess this is a pretty dated suggestion at this point, but I "stumbled upon" a show called "Southcliffe" over the weekend. Wowsers.

It's VERY dark, told in a "time-hop" fashion... I guess there's a name for that genre... Think of Westworld or the movie Crash... About a mass shooting event in a small town in England.

I won't go too much further, but it's a pretty deep dive into grief. I won't say I enjoyed it, but I was highly entertained.

I think my only beef is how they end it. And, well, there were times where I just fast forwarded though some pretty lengthy grieving/losing's ones shit scenes. Chalk that up to my kind of binge watching it and being a little "Ok, I get it."

The cast is amazing and it's just really well done from all the technical sides of things (as much as I grasp that stuff in the moment.)
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Pruitt wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 9:06 pm The Break with Michelle Wolf needs some retooling.

Just its first episode, and you can see what her strengths are, but it was pretty lame.

Watched the 3rd episode - And oh, it is really bad.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Just watched the latest season of Bojack. Holy fuck, the last 2 episodes pulled the bizarreness of the whole season together, and it was unbelievably deep. The entire family history and backstory of Bojack's mother's life... actually made you feel sympathetic not only for Bojack as to why he is so fucked up, but you even felt bad for his horrendous evil mother. His Grandfather is sneakily the greatest character.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:16 pm Just watched the latest season of Bojack. Holy fuck, the last 2 episodes pulled the bizarreness of the whole season together, and it was unbelievably deep. The entire family history and backstory of Bojack's mother's life... actually made you feel sympathetic not only for Bojack as to why he is so fucked up, but you even felt bad for his horrendous evil mother. His Grandfather is sneakily the greatest character.
Such a great show. I finished it a couple weeks ago and definitely teared up at the very end.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Was Big Mouth mentioned in this thread? Because you should watch it.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:42 am
The Sybian wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:16 pm Just watched the latest season of Bojack. Holy fuck, the last 2 episodes pulled the bizarreness of the whole season together, and it was unbelievably deep. The entire family history and backstory of Bojack's mother's life... actually made you feel sympathetic not only for Bojack as to why he is so fucked up, but you even felt bad for his horrendous evil mother. His Grandfather is sneakily the greatest character.
Such a great show. I finished it a couple weeks ago and definitely teared up at the very end.
Throughout this season, I was thinking it lost a step, mostly because the Mr. Peanutbutter story was too drawn out. I loved the episode where Bojack stays in Michigan, but the others were just OK. But man, when it all tied together. Fuck, you don't expect that level of a deep emotional journey in a cartoon with half the characters being anthropomorphized animals and just plain silliness.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I'll admit, I cried at the very end of the last episode. That was a great moment.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

I’m pretty late I’m sure, but Peaky Blinders is enjoyable.

Fauda is also enjoyable.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Glow has entered the "whatever - watch it because wife likes it" territory. 4 episodes into season 2 and the quirkiness factor is gone and hasn't been replaced by much that is interesting.

Although watching Betty Gilpin in a leotard is not without its charms.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Queer Eye is totally awesome.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

It is a riot.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:42 pm Glow has entered the "whatever - watch it because wife likes it" territory. 4 episodes into season 2 and the quirkiness factor is gone and hasn't been replaced by much that is interesting.

I like GLOW. Not as much as Season 1, but it is pretty good. Maron makes me laugh.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The interesting/compelling thing about this version of Queer Eye is how heart warming some of the episodes have been.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

bfj wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:41 pm
Pruitt wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:42 pm Glow has entered the "whatever - watch it because wife likes it" territory. 4 episodes into season 2 and the quirkiness factor is gone and hasn't been replaced by much that is interesting.

I like GLOW. Not as much as Season 1, but it is pretty good. Maron makes me laugh.
I wrote too soon.

the last few episodes of Season 2 were just great. And different in tone.
[+] spoiler
The few scenes where Bash's unrequited Gay love was revealed to have died of "pneumonia" (A.I.D.S) I found very touching. We asked our 19 year old daughter about it, and the A.I.D.S. reality went way over her head. But for old folks like us...
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"El Ministerio del Tiempo" a Spanish series involving time travel is really good.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Just watched Jim Jefferies special, and it was fantastic. Watching by myself, I still laughed out loud several times. I feel like he is so consistent in everything he does. I've seen all his specials, random clips of his standup, tons of interviews, his current show, Legit... He just always hits. I feel like he is just being himself, and nothing is an act. I had a hard time wording this in a way that didn't sound like an insult, that he is onenote or something, but I mean it as a compliment.

He spent 5 minutes talking about his depression. I don't want to step on the joke, but in a sick and dark way, he actually put a lot of shit in perspective, and I think this view really will help. It's dark and stupid, but I actually like the view and took something from it. And his Scotland story is fucking gold. Sick, dark gold.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:23 pm
bfj wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:41 pm

I wrote too soon.

the last few episodes of Season 2 were just great. And different in tone.
[+] spoiler
The few scenes where Bash's unrequited Gay love was revealed to have died of "pneumonia" (A.I.D.S) I found very touching. We asked our 19 year old daughter about it, and the A.I.D.S. reality went way over her head. But for old folks like us...
I read this post immediately after watching the the last episode before Season 2 turned. I was thinking it was just OK, and lost interest.Decided to keep watching, and damn, it got soooo good in different ways. Each episode was completely different in tone and plot focus. The episode that was completely done as if it was showing a full episode of the Glow show, including fake commercials done in an early 80s style was fucking great. Just finished the season, and all the plot lines are good. Now I'm pissed I need to wait a year for the next batch.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Sybian wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:14 pm Just watched Jim Jefferies special, and it was fantastic. Watching by myself, I still laughed out loud several times. I feel like he is so consistent in everything he does. I've seen all his specials, random clips of his standup, tons of interviews, his current show, Legit... He just always hits. I feel like he is just being himself, and nothing is an act. I had a hard time wording this in a way that didn't sound like an insult, that he is onenote or something, but I mean it as a compliment.

He spent 5 minutes talking about his depression. I don't want to step on the joke, but in a sick and dark way, he actually put a lot of shit in perspective, and I think this view really will help. It's dark and stupid, but I actually like the view and took something from it. And his Scotland story is fucking gold. Sick, dark gold.
I've got a different opinion.

The first half was excellent, but...
[+] spoiler
The lengthy piece about the party with Mariah Carey was terrible. Like a story to be told during a talk show. I was so bored by teh end of it that I called it a night before the depression talk.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:50 am
The Sybian wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:14 pm Just watched Jim Jefferies special, and it was fantastic. Watching by myself, I still laughed out loud several times. I feel like he is so consistent in everything he does. I've seen all his specials, random clips of his standup, tons of interviews, his current show, Legit... He just always hits. I feel like he is just being himself, and nothing is an act. I had a hard time wording this in a way that didn't sound like an insult, that he is onenote or something, but I mean it as a compliment.

I've got a different opinion.

The first half was excellent, but...
[+] spoiler
The lengthy piece about the party with Mariah Carey was terrible. Like a story to be told during a talk show. I was so bored by teh end of it that I called it a night before the depression talk.
That's a valid point. I've heard him tell the Mariah Carey story in a completely different way, and it was much better the first time.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Pruitt wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 7:39 pm I watched The Almighty Johnsons a few years ago on regular TV.

A well done show - Norse Gods living in present day New Zealand. Avoids most of the cliches of the genre.
I have to watch more of that. Watched a few episodes and really enjoyed. Then got out of tv for a bit.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Forgive me if I missed the discussion about this somewhere else. Did anyone else watch Peaky Blinders? Thoughts? I really liked the show and thought Tom Hardy as Alfie, the orthodox Jewish gangster was amazing.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

bfj wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:42 pm Forgive me if I missed the discussion about this somewhere else. Did anyone else watch Peaky Blinders? Thoughts? I really liked the show and thought Tom Hardy as Alfie, the orthodox Jewish gangster was amazing.
Yeah, it pops up occasionally. I want to try and go back and watch... We watched that show before we had the forethought to put on subtitles. I found it VERY hard to follow.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

bfj wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:42 pm Forgive me if I missed the discussion about this somewhere else. Did anyone else watch Peaky Blinders? Thoughts? I really liked the show and thought Tom Hardy as Alfie, the orthodox Jewish gangster was amazing.
I thought it was great. Characters are well developed, good story and I think the scenery/setting adds to the experience. I was a little nervous b/c the distribution was owned by the Weinstein company but I think issues have been settled so we'll still get the next season.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

GoodKarma wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:24 pm
I thought it was great. Characters are well developed, good story and I think the scenery/setting adds to the experience. I was a little nervous b/c the distribution was owned by the Weinstein company but I think issues have been settled so we'll still get the next season.

They settled and took Weinstein's name off of the credits and they are free for the next season.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:18 pm
Yeah, it pops up occasionally. I want to try and go back and watch... We watched that show before we had the forethought to put on subtitles. I found it VERY hard to follow.
No doubt. Subtitles make it waaaay easier to understand what they are saying.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I've seen Season 1 and the first episode of Season 2. All excellent. Sam Neill is insanely good.

I think Tom Hardy is in the next episode (which I will be watching post-haste.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:47 pm I've seen Season 1 and the first episode of Season 2. All excellent. Sam Neill is insanely good.

I think Tom Hardy is in the next episode (which I will be watching post-haste.
His (Neill’s) accent wore on me after a while, but he was a great character.

My wife is getting sick of me saying that things need to be done “BY ORDER OF THE PEAKY FUCKING BLINDERS”.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Oh Season 2 Episode 2 is a masterclass in writing. So much detail, new story arcs, old ones paying off... and none of it seemed forced or filled with unnecessary explanation.

What a show...
[+] spoiler
And the end when Polly arrives home after a walk of shame to see her son... priceless.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Jim Jeffries new special on Netflix is awesome.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Enjoying Yellowstone. I mean, Benny's in it for cryin' out loud. And Cowboy Costner is better than any other Costner, IMO.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:39 am Enjoying Yellowstone. I mean, Benny's in it for cryin' out loud. And Cowboy Costner is better than any other Costner, IMO.
Ryan Bingham is in it too.