Netflix Suggestions?

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: Netflix Suggestions?

Post by The Sybian »

I was looking for a short, quirky British show, and gave The End of the F***ing World a go. Holy fuck is it dark and depressing, but really good. I think 10 episodes and some were 15-20 minutes long, so I watched it in 2 sittings. It was different and kept me riveted. Not much comedy to it, but a few moments.

After hearing Nick Kroll on Rogan's podcast talking about Big Mouth, I started watching it. It's an animated show about kids going through puberty, ramping up the awkwardness to 11. Kroll made a comment about liking animation because they couldn't make the same jokes with child actors that they can with cartoons. Umm, if you've seen the show, that is a huge understatement. Imaging making real kids act these scenes out is disturbing. It's weird as fuck, but I'm liking it. They will need to work hard to keep it from getting stale, but the Maurice the Hormone Monster is one of the greatest characters ever. The unfiltered perverted piece of the adolescent brain that constantly tries to encourage Mullaney's character to do sick shit.

An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Love that show.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:15 pmLove that show.
It is so horrendously cringeworthy, and I can't stop watching. Maurice throwing out Howard Stern taglines out of nowhere killed me. My son is 12, so he is about to go through all this shit, yet completely oblivious. I'm so tempted to make him watch, so I don't have to explain anything. On the plus side, it'll be a cinch for his future therapist to pinpoint exactly where all his psychological problems started.
-Pruitt
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

I'm a bigger fan of the gym teacher's hormone monster. Season 2 is wonderful.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

EdRomero wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:49 pm I'm a bigger fan of the gym teacher's hormone monster. Season 2 is wonderful.
Heh, just watched the episode where they skip school and go to New York, and the gym teacher is at Patrick Ewing's brew pub. Yeah, he is hilarious.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Maya Rudolph kills in that too.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:31 pm Maya Rudolph kills in that too.
I love the credits. Jon Hamm voices a plate of scallops. Kristin Wiig voiced "talking vagina."
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I just read Netflix is not renewing American Vandal.

Really curious what that is all about.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:17 pm I just read Netflix is not renewing American Vandal.

I think that's their 3rd fairly high profile cancellation in the last few weeks (along with Iron Fist, Luke Cage). Unless this has already been happening with shows I haven't heard of, I wonder if there is a change of strategy occurring.

They also announced there will be just one more season of Orange is the New Black (which makes sense based on the story) and House of Cards (which makes sense for Spacey), but it still seems early to make the decisions.

Or it could be as simple as declining numbers for all of these shows, which isn't public info I believe.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Or maybe they want to clear space for all the new shows they have in the pipeline?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

They don’t own American Vandal and that’s always a consideration in these things.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

EdRomero wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:44 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:17 pm I just read Netflix is not renewing American Vandal.

I think that's their 3rd fairly high profile cancellation in the last few weeks (along with Iron Fist, Luke Cage). Unless this has already been happening with shows I haven't heard of, I wonder if there is a change of strategy occurring.

They also announced there will be just one more season of Orange is the New Black (which makes sense based on the story) and House of Cards (which makes sense for Spacey), but it still seems early to make the decisions.

Or it could be as simple as declining numbers for all of these shows, which isn't public info I believe.
Were iron fist and Luke cage high profile? I generally knew about them but not as much as vandal. May be me of course.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

brian wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:54 pm They don’t own American Vandal and that’s always a consideration in these things.
This is what I've read.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

A_B wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:56 pm
EdRomero wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:44 pm

Were iron fist and Luke cage high profile? I generally knew about them but not as much as vandal. May be me of course.
I thought so because of the comic book connection, but I have no idea. There could be a bunch of more successful shows that I don't know about because they're not promoted to me. The only show I know young people are obsessed with is The Office.

I think Brian's point about who owns it is really important.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The marvel stuff may be related to Disney and their impending streaming service.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj.

I'm like 5 minutes in and this show is fucking awesome. The stand up plus the interactive screen behind him is like nothing I've ever seen. The production quality is top notch.

There are 32(!) episodes this season. First 2 on Netflix now.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Netflix announces there will be a BoJack Horseman season 6 next fall.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:09 pm Netflix announces there will be a BoJack Horseman season 6 next fall.
That makes me happy.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Bert Kreischer's stand up special 'Secret Time' is pretty damn funny. The ending story about being a wise ass at a basketball camp with Ralph Sampson is fantastic.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:10 am Bert Kreischer's stand up special 'Secret Time' is pretty damn funny. The ending story about being a wise ass at a basketball camp with Ralph Sampson is fantastic.
We've watched it 5 times since 9/1. The pajamas story makes us cry each time.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Johnnie wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:25 am Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj.

I'm like 5 minutes in and this show is fucking awesome. The stand up plus the interactive screen behind him is like nothing I've ever seen. The production quality is top notch.

Yoooooooo. Fellas...

Johnnie is very much on point. Can't recommend this show enough. Brilliantly done from an "asian" perspective.

Not gonna beg, but holy shit is this show worth your time.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:33 pm
Johnnie wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:25 am Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj.

Yoooooooo. Fellas...

Johnnie is very much on point. Can't recommend this show enough. Brilliantly done from an "asian" perspective.

Not gonna beg, but holy shit is this show worth your time.
I'm definitely in. I love Hasan Minhaj. I liked him on the Daily Show, but after hearing him on Preet Bharara's podcast and seeing his standup special, I love him.

In other Netflix news, I'm sure people have mentioned Fauda, but holy fuck does this show bring it. It's like The Wire set in Palestine. Even though the creator of the show and lead star served in the undercover Israeli force depicted in the show, they really don't make either side look like the good guys. The realness of the depiction of the Palestinian resistance leaders/terrorists and their families makes you understand the motivation for committing acts of terror. And fuck, the Israelis keep swooping in and kidnapping, killing and torturing them, so yeah, I get why they resort to terror when they have no power and are oppressed. On the flip side, you can understand why the Israeli's are so desperate to capture or kill the terrorist leaders.

What really sucks for the Israelis, and is the brilliance of Islamic extremism, is that the terrorists are all hoping to be killed by Israelis, so they can be martyrs in the afterlife and their lives and given hero status in memoriam.

The show can be a bit clunky or over the top at times, but there are some incredibly powerful scenes. They end most episodes with an oh fuck moment, and the next episode instantly jumps into the oh fuck moment with the emotions revved up. Tough to stop after an episode. The other interesting thing is the Arabic lines are subtitled, while the Hebrew lines are dubbed into English, and not well. The Israeli soldiers blend in as Palestinians, so they are fluent, and jump from subtitled Arabic to dubbed English. It's a bit weird.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I looked at that show, but the subtitles and dubbing threw me off.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Really enjoying Wanderlust as of late. About 5 episodes in and it’s as good of a BBC show as I’ve seen in a while. Toni Collette is great.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

New documentary about Orson Welles “lost” masterpiece (“They’ll Love Me When I’m Dead”) is pretty awesome if you’re a film geek. Seeing Welles, John Huston, Peter Bogdanavitch, Dennis Hopper and others on home movies is pretty wild for some reason.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The Family Guy bit last week about Netflix comedy specials was pretty funny.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The Night Comes for Us was great, if you like hyper-violet Asian action movies with dizzying (in a good way) camera work where the plot is a loose excuse to set up some incredible fight scenes.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Avram wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:47 pm Not Netflix but The Marvelous Mrs Maisel is an outstanding show
Just got the Amazon prime yesterday and watched the first three episodes.

Outstanding show - so much fun.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Adam Sandler’s new standup special is pretty good?

It is. Pretty sure anyone whoever found him funny would agree.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Watched the first episode of Dogs...
[+] spoiler
After checking online to see if any dogs dies in the show - apparently none do. However...
It is quite emotional. Kids and therapy dogs.

Very well done.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:26 pm
Avram wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:47 pm Not Netflix but The Marvelous Mrs Maisel is an outstanding show
Just got the Amazon prime yesterday and watched the first three episodes.

Outstanding show - so much fun.
It's a great show, no doubt. Love everything about it. But you need to watch Man in the High Castle!
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Not Neflix, and its been out a while, but I powered through 'Barry' over the last 2 days. What a show. Who knew that Bill Hader could be so serious, and downright frightening. And Henry Winkler is great in it...
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:39 am Not Neflix, and its been out a while, but I powered through 'Barry' over the last 2 days. What a show. Who knew that Bill Hader could be so serious, and downright frightening. And Henry Winkler is great in it...
The scene in the car, man. Holy shit. "WHY'D YOU HAVE TO SAY THAT?!?!?"
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

So...Sick Note is pretty fucking fun.
Noli Timere Messorem
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A couple great stand up comedy shows. The Degenerates, 6 raunchy comedians each have a 30 minute episode. Saved Joey Diaz for last, but watched the first 5. Big Jay Oakerson and Brad Williams (the dwarf) were both fantastic, Yamaneika Saunders was OK, but she was just trying too hard to be dirty, Christina P was good, but her voices drive me nuts, and Liza Treyger you can just skip.

Watched the first two episodes of Dave Attell and Jeff Ross' "Bumping Mics." Such a different type of stand up show, chock full of A-list comedians, relatives and random audience members brought into the act. I feel like Attell and especially Ross' styles are the bridge between the old days and today, especially for NY Jewish comedy. That's not even taking into account Ross' self appointed role as the historian of comedy.
-Pruitt
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

I'm about half way through season 2 of Making a Murder and I'm not sure I'm gonna make it. Basic pattern is a few minutes of interesting legal stuff, followed by 20 minutes of moronic family talk, few minutes of something interesting..then watching Avery's parents walking really slowly, then watching them order food in a drive through, and then lots and lots of old family photos and plenty of shots of that beautiful Wisconsin scenery. A good editor should have cut the run time of this season in half. Maybe I shouldn't have watched American Vandal first --love how they threw in some quick episodes.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

We quit after three episodes I think.

Partly because after season one it got a lot media attention and we were familiar with a lot of the general ideas of not the specifics
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Finally caught up with 'Ballad of Buster Scruggs'. Pretty damn good, even if was a bit lightweight for the Coens.

Who could have guessed that I needed to see Tom Waits playing a grizzled old prospector, but I did.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:05 pm Finally caught up with 'Ballad of Buster Scruggs'. Pretty damn good, even if was a bit lightweight for the Coens.

Who could have guessed that I needed to see Tom Waits playing a grizzled old prospector, but I did.
He was great.

Which segments did you like the best?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The only ones I cared for much were the Waits one and The Girl Who Got Rattled.