Netflix Suggestions?

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnnie
The Dude

Re: Netflix Suggestions?

Post by Johnnie »

Pruitt wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:17 am Queer Eye is probably the sweetest, nicest, most uplifting show out there.

What they did for the sisters who ran the BBQ joint was incredible.
I tear up every episode. That show is my jam.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:43 pm Watched the first couple of episodes of Gommorah - an Italian crime show based on an incredible book and movie.

Whereas the original story was non-fiction, the series has set up a fictionalized crime world based on the Camorrah.

As tense as any crime movie I've seen in years.
Just finished Episode 6 - this show is amazing.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I really enjoyed Ricky Gervais' "After Life." He plays a guy whose wife dies, and he comes to peace with not giving s fuck about anything, knowing he will eventually kill himself because he has nothing to live for. It's six 30 minute episodes, and ends up being a really sweet, moving story that wraps up so perfectly. My parents weren't going to watch it, because it seemed like Gervais playing himself for the umpteenth time, but it ends up being way more than that. I am totally in love with his dog, and crushed on the Indian girl. She is cute, but just conveyed so much sweetness through her giant sympathetic eyes.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:51 pm Derry Girls is excellent. Funny as all hell.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I love the Derry accent. Ever since I heard Feargal Sharkey.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

AO is back with their second season. It took a little bit for this one to get off the ground, but I really grew to like this show. I think part of what's helped it become even more "accessible" is the slew of multi-dimensional movies and shows that have come out the last few years. Not the least of which is the whole Marvel Comic Universe.

I'm binging through this second season, which is better than the first in some ways. Again, that may be a function of just having a better handle on the content. It may also be that I really like the lead character (detective guy).
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

sancarlos wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:01 pm I love the Derry accent. Ever since I heard Feargal Sharkey.
Is that pronounced like it looks? Wonder if it's an attempt at the much more common Fergal.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Rush2112 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:25 pm
sancarlos wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:01 pm I love the Derry accent. Ever since I heard Feargal Sharkey.
Is that pronounced like it looks? Wonder if it's an attempt at the much more common Fergal.
A quick search of the inner webs indicates that both spellings are traditional forms of the same Irish name. I'm not certain on pronunciation. Both are anglicized from the Gaelic name, Fearghal.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

By the way, Nick Bergatze (that's close, probably not right) has a great Netflix comedy special up right now. He was one of the comedians on one of the excellent Stand Up episodes they put out last year.

Deadpan, southern is kryptonite to me. Fucking hilarious.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Pruitt wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:23 am
Pruitt wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:51 pm Derry Girls is excellent. Funny as all hell.
Seconded. Finished the season recently. It's really good.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Check out “I Think You Should Leave”. Just premiered and it’s by Tim Robinson who is secretly famous for his bizarre sketches for SNL that never made it to air when he was a writer there.

It’s like SNL sketches on acid.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

brian wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:07 pm Check out “I Think You Should Leave”. Just premiered and it’s by Tim Robinson who is secretly famous for his bizarre sketches for SNL that never made it to air when he was a writer there.

Did not realize he was an SNL writer. Just know him from Detroiters..which I thought he was very good
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:07 pm Check out “I Think You Should Leave”. Just premiered and it’s by Tim Robinson who is secretly famous for his bizarre sketches for SNL that never made it to air when he was a writer there.

I just watched three episodes and had to pause it twice because I was having trouble breathing.

The Fred Willard bit in the 3rd episode is the funniest thing I have seen in years.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Fred Willard? Sold!
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:43 pm Fred Willard? Sold!
It's maybe a minute and a half long, but it'll be part of his reel. I am laughing as I type this and I watched it three times already.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Just saw The Battered Bastards of Baseball. For the unaware it's the story of the Portland Mavericks.

It wasn't intended to be a biopic of any of the players, but rather, the moment. View it in that context, and you'll have a great time.
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I started watching Springsteen on Broadway last night. I have never been a big springsteen fan, but so far it was pretty good. Wife didn't dig it at all so we shut it off but I will likely finish it.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:09 am ...p.een...i.n...v.a.g...so far it was pretty good. Wife didn't dig it at all...but I will likely finish...
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:39 pm

I just watched three episodes and had to pause it twice because I was having trouble breathing.

The Fred Willard bit in the 3rd episode is the funniest thing I have seen in years.
I can’t get that improvised country song from episode five out of my head:

“The bones are their money and so are the worms. The bones are their dollars.”
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:41 pm
Pruitt wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:39 pm

I can’t get that improvised country song from episode five out of my head:

“The bones are their money and so are the worms. The bones are their dollars.”
"I want my treasure chest!"
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

A_B wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:09 am I started watching Springsteen on Broadway last night. I have never been a big springsteen fan, but so far it was pretty good. Wife didn't dig it at all so we shut it off but I will likely finish it.
I always enjoyed Springsteen without being much of a fan if that makes any sense, and I really liked it. Found myself reading and playing video games a lot while watching, but a lot of his stories were really touching.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

If and when you guys watch the new doc featuring AOC’s run for Congress there’s a scene with the woman running for NV-04 campaigning door-to-door in my neighborhood.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Watched it last night. It was pretty good. AOC rushing into her own election night party, bring stopped, and saying "I'm the girl on the sign!" was great.

It was also great when she's being interviewed and then there's a sudden roar and applause that she beat Crowley. She was completely mid thought and caught off guard by it. Her reaction was priceless.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

It’s the stupidest fucking thing but I can’t help stop thinking about how handy the KnobTugger shirt from that I Think You Should Leave would be.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 4:13 pm It’s the stupidest fucking thing but I can’t help stop thinking about how handy the KnobTugger shirt from that I Think You Should Leave would be.
Watched all but the last episode, and I'm just not a fan. A couple skits were hilarious ideas, but for the most part, I just found the skits to be dumb. Even the 2 minute long skits went on too long. The only thing that kept me watching was how short the episodes are, and a couple funny things came through.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I was the good husband and watched Wine Country with the wife the other night. Amy Poehler, Tina Fey, and other women from past years of SNL wrote and starred in it. Some good laughs, but overall, it was predictable and not that great. Seemed to be trying hard to be a revamped Bridesmaids II. But, my take may partly be because I'm not part of the middle-aged-female target audience. My wife liked it more than I did.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

The Sybian wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 4:56 pm
brian wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 4:13 pm It’s the stupidest fucking thing but I can’t help stop thinking about how handy the KnobTugger shirt from that I Think You Should Leave would be.
Watched all but the last episode, and I'm just not a fan. A couple skits were hilarious ideas, but for the most part, I just found the skits to be dumb. Even the 2 minute long skits went on too long. The only thing that kept me watching was how short the episodes are, and a couple funny things came through.
Did the horse ranch concept hit too close to home?

I loved the Jim Davis house.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

EdRomero wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 8:28 am

The horse ranch was hilarious.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Sybian wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:11 pm
EdRomero wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 8:28 am

The horse ranch was hilarious.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Currently seeing this. It's so gloriously dumb
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

rass wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 8:19 am I suggest I watch this first chance I get.
I enthusiastically second that.

It is incredibly good.

ETA: Watch it before reading the review. Not that there are plot points to worry about, but better to be surprised at what is going on onscreen.
[+] spoiler
The 100 Kathy Irelands made me laugh harder than I think I've ever laughed at 10 in the morning!
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Update: It's getting dumber! Like 100x the dumb as Samberg's HBO spoofs. Soooo dumb. There's absolutely zero reason this should be specifically about the Bash Brothers or anyone else. What are they doing? It's the best.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Ryan wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 9:54 am Update: It's getting dumber! Like 100x the dumb as Samberg's HBO spoofs. Soooo dumb. There's absolutely zero reason this should be specifically about the Bash Brothers or anyone else. What are they doing? It's the best.
What are they doing?
[+] spoiler
Bench presses with bodacious babes!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

"I've got a framed photograph from the time I did Alf."

"Noah should have had the Bash Brothers on his ork."

They're so awesome.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The baseball team rap is outstanding.
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

Netflix just emailed me that Get Carter has been recently added, the original version with Michael Caine, a classic
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

hmmm
IMDB wrote:After Will Ferrell discovered his public access show "Between Two Ferns" and uploaded it to Funny Or Die, Zach became a laughing stock. Now Zach is taking a road trip to complete a series of celebrity interviews and restore his reputation
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Baloney wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 2:13 pm Netflix just emailed me that Get Carter has been recently added, the original version with Michael Caine, a classic
Dying to see that one. Not in Canada.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Watched the first three episodes of It's Bruno (about 12 minutes each), and really enjoyed it.

Very off-beat, very low stakes and funny enough to stick with.