Netflix Suggestions?

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

EnochRoot
The Dude

Re: Netflix Suggestions?

Post by EnochRoot »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:59 am Really bummed about this news. You guys obviously know my love for that show. My quick skim of the article has me thinking this is further down the "spectrum" than Weinstein or Louis C.K., but it sucks.
Why? The guy’s a pig, but it’s kinda apparent she was going to write something about that date one way or another.

“You missed clear non-verbal cues.”

Yeah. The lesson is the need for an NDA.
Noli Timere Messorem
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Eventually it will work itself out. I don't think his career or reputation are ruined. This was kind of inevitable and in a way necessary. Not to be flip, but like a stock market overcorrection. It's great that women are empowered now to speak up, but they're not going to start using to kill a guy's career because he cut them off in traffic.

If anything, I'd be more worried that it'll reverse the wrong way.

"Oh women can't be trusted to not think overemotionally yadda yadda yadda"
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

brian wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:07 pm Eventually it will work itself out. I don't think his career or reputation are ruined. This was kind of inevitable and in a way necessary. Not to be flip, but like a stock market overcorrection. It's great that women are empowered now to speak up, but they're not going to start using to kill a guy's career because he cut them off in traffic.

If anything, I'd be more worried that it'll reverse the wrong way.

"Oh women can't be trusted to not think overemotionally yadda yadda yadda"
I'd say articles like that one are exactly what will lead to that reversal. I don't doubt this woman's feelings about the date, but her experience and the behavior of Ansari are way off of the experiences (rapes, assaults at work, assaults at "business meetings," etc.) of women who got this thing rolling. Her deciding months later that it was no longer just a bad date, but sexual assault cheapens the definition, to me.
Totally Kafkaesque
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I think the Banfield clip in the Kevin Spacey thread sums up how a lot of folks are going to process this whole thing. You don't like to blame the victim, but in this case, it's really not clear there was a victim at all.

At any rate, I'm certainly not going to stop watching his stuff over this. And I find it pretty telling there aren't the typical 2nd and 3rd day stories of women coming out and corroborating this women's experience.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Last Master of None post from me for awhile, I promise.
[+] spoiler
You guys were damn restrained on not talking about the Chef Jeff episode. Holy crap.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:03 pm Last Master of None post from me for awhile, I promise.
[+] spoiler
You guys were damn restrained on not talking about the Chef Jeff episode. Holy crap.
Just saw it last night, and holy fuck did that episode take on a completely different meaning. All of the scenes of Dev trying to kiss in his apartment, and her asking him to let her leave...
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:26 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:03 pm Last Master of None post from me for awhile, I promise.
[+] spoiler
Just saw it last night, and holy fuck did that episode take on a completely different meaning. All of the scenes of Dev trying to kiss in his apartment, and her asking him to let her leave...
The Dinner Party episode, or a later one?
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I'm a moron. The finale.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I know this has been talked about elsewhere (political thread(s)?), but I finally watched the 'My Next Guest' by David Letterman with Obama.

Holy shit what a fast 53 minutes.
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This looks pretty good:

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I'd watch that. When I first saw a trailer for Bright, I thought it was a joke. It looks like a remake of Alien Nation, but with orcs instead of aliens.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

There’s supposed to be an actual remake of Alien Nation coming so I though this was it.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:01 am I'd watch that. When I first saw a trailer for Bright, I thought it was a joke. It looks like a remake of Alien Nation, but with orcs instead of aliens.
Saw the first 15 minutes or so. Stale and the Alien character was irritating.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

He's an Orc, man. Geez.

(I watched that movie while taking down my Christmas tree... So kind of half-watching, half-listening. I enjoyed it for what it was. No way I could've straight just stared at the screen though. It was pretty cheesy.)
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:40 am

Nonlinear wrote:He's an Orc, man. Geez.
Pruitt, does that change your analysis?
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:09 pm
Pruitt wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:40 am

Nonlinear wrote:He's an Orc, man. Geez.
Pruitt, does that change your analysis?
No. I fucking hate Orcs.

By the way, Trollhunters is good. Some amazing animation - Guillermo del Toro is on a hell of a run these days.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

You guys consistently make me laugh.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

EnochRoot wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:06 pm I know this has been talked about elsewhere (political thread(s)?), but I finally watched the 'My Next Guest' by David Letterman with Obama.

I watched that the other night. It was great. The portion with Letterman and John Lewis on the bridge in Selma was fantastic.

And it really hit home how much the country lost out when Obama left office. To go from someone who is that smart, and measured, and thoughtful, and so clearly a loving family man to the cretinous slob in the White House is mind blowing.

Letterman's beard is ridiculous though.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:21 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:06 pm I know this has been talked about elsewhere (political thread(s)?), but I finally watched the 'My Next Guest' by David Letterman with Obama.

I watched that the other night. It was great. The portion with Letterman and John Lewis on the bridge in Selma was fantastic.

And it really hit home how much the country lost out when Obama left office. To go from someone who is that smart, and measured, and thoughtful, and so clearly a loving family man to the cretinous slob in the White House is mind blowing.

Letterman's beard is ridiculous though.
Nah. He has no fucks to give. I love it.

What hit home to me was how he immediately cuts to the chase re: Lewis. "In 1965, I was boarding a flight to Bermuda to get drunk and stoned off my ass."

Instantly relatable because he is telling you right there he was as much of a degenerate as you once were. Obama too, for that matter.
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

George Harrison: Living in a Material World is 3 hours and 28 minutes of bliss. I mean, a lot of it in the Beatles’ section of it you’ve seen / heard before..but once the Beatles break up is where the documentary really takes flight.

Fun fact: Harrison mortgaged his house to finance the production of Monty Python’s Life of Brian.
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Avram wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:47 pm Not Netflix but The Marvelous Mrs Maisel is an outstanding show
Agreed. First three episodes have been fantastic.
Noli Timere Messorem
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Most of you kids won't be interested, but for those of us old enough to remember The National Lampoon magazine, I'd recommend A Futile and Stupid Gesture, starring Will Forte, which is a biography of founder Doug Kenney and the rise and fall of the magazine. Back in the late 70s/very early 80s, a couple close friends and I thought that was great literature.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:29 pm Most of you kids won't be interested, but for those of us old enough to remember The National Lampoon magazine, I'd recommend A Futile and Stupid Gesture, starring Will Forte, which is a biography of founder Doug Kenney and the rise and fall of the magazine. Back in the late 70s/very early 80s, a couple close friends and I thought that was great literature.
I saw it a couple days ago and it was OK. Definitely worthwhile for Netflix but it wasn’t as good as the documentary on the Lampoon (Drunk Stoned Brilliant Dead) which spends a lot of time on Kinney of course. That should also be on Netflix.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:40 pm
sancarlos wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:29 pm Most of you kids won't be interested, but for those of us old enough to remember The National Lampoon magazine, I'd recommend A Futile and Stupid Gesture, starring Will Forte, which is a biography of founder Doug Kenney and the rise and fall of the magazine. Back in the late 70s/very early 80s, a couple close friends and I thought that was great literature.
I saw it a couple days ago and it was OK. Definitely worthwhile for Netflix but it wasn’t as good as the documentary on the Lampoon (Drunk Stoned Brilliant Dead) which spends a lot of time on Kinney of course. That should also be on Netflix.
Absolutely true. I'd been meaning to watch Drunk Stoned Brilliant Dead, but didn't know it was on Netflix. So, I saw your post, and I'm watching it now. And, loving it.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

brian wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:40 pm
Ah...to keep on singing the middle-class liberal well-intentioned blues..I loved that documentary. I should fire that one up again (assuming it’s still on Netflix)...

I wish I was a Negro
With lots of Negro soul
So I could stay true to my ethnic roots
And still play Rock N' Roll
If I was a Funky Negro
Eatin' soul food barbeques
I wouldn't have to sing the Middle-Class Liberal
Well-Intentioned Blues
Intentioned Blues
Intentioned Blues
I wish I was an Indian
A grown-up Sioux Papoose
So whn'I get drunk on a beer and a half
I have a good excuse
I'd be a noble savage
Wouldn't ever wear no shoes
An' I wouldn't have to sing the Middle-Class-Liberal
Well-Intentioned Blues
Intentioned Blues
Intentioned Blues
(Middle-Class-Liberal Banjo Solo)
I wish I was a wetback
On a strike in a lettuce patch
Or a slant-eyed peasant with Vietcong
Stashed underneath my thatch
I only ever cross a picket line
To pay my union dues
To keep on singing the Middle-Class Liberal
Well-Intentioned Blues
Intentioned Blues
Intentioned Blues
But I am not a Negro (Come on)
Not a Redman nor a Mex (Join me kids)
I'm a member of the oppressing color
language, age, and sex
I sympathize with the Arab cause
I feel for the put-upon Jews
And I keep singing
The Middle-Class Liberal
Humanitarian
Meaningful Dialogue
We are all responsible
Well-Intentioned Blues
Intentioned Blues
Intentioned Blues
Noli Timere Messorem
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Started watching "Five Came Back" a documentary about how the five biggest directors in Hollywood (John Ford, John Huston, Frank Capra, Willam Wyler and George Stevens) joined the war effort prior to and during World War II making propaganda films and documentaries to boost the war effort.

Completely enthralling and some of the old footage is amazing. (It's about 3 hours total, but broken up into three "episodes" so you could consume it in an evening though I ran out of time last night. Going to finish it tonight after the hockey game.

Also, got me thinking that I need to find a really good biography of George Marshall, who might have been one of the five most important people on Earth to have lived in the 20th century. Up there with Churchill, FDR, etc.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yooooooo...

I think that because Wormwood is so stylized, it didn't get the kind of overall coverage it deserved. It took me MONTHS to get through it, and I"m on Ep6 right now.

The US Govt straight-up murdered its own citizens in the 50s during the Red Scare. We got an airport here in DC named after a guy that sanctioned the execution of a guy running Ft. Detrick back in the day (CIA Director Dulles). And there are easily a dozen other carbon copy murders of US officials that are on the record.

Like. Holy shit, man.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

brian wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:31 pm Started watching "Five Came Back" a documentary about how the five biggest directors in Hollywood (John Ford, John Huston, Frank Capra, Willam Wyler and George Stevens) joined the war effort prior to and during World War II making propaganda films and documentaries to boost the war effort.
The book is worth checking out as well.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:18 pm We got an airport here in DC named after a guy that sanctioned the execution of a guy…
not just one.

(I do apologize, but I can't resist that one.)
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:50 pm Just watched the first episode of Peaky Blinders and it is excellent.
I started this last week after I finished up Longmire...I'm all in. Not only a good story/acting but I find it visually stunning as well.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

howard wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:08 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:18 pm We got an airport here in DC named after a guy that sanctioned the execution of a guy…
not just one.

(I do apologize, but I can't resist that one.)

Solid... I don't ever call it that (National is what most locals use), but I do appreciate the joke.

Dulles.. Reagan....... Marshall!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Run, do not walk...

The Mortified series is FUCKING AMAZING. Just, guys, win at life and watch this series. If the first episode about sex makes things weird with your wife, skip it. The next two are some of the most entertaining and endearing thins I've experienced over the last bunch of years.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Altered Carbon. It's a bit hard to follow, but it's a hell of an experience. Very Blade Runner-esque.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:02 pm Altered Carbon. It's a bit hard to follow, but it's a hell of an experience. Very Blade Runner-esque.
I fell asleep during the first episode. It wasn't that late. You're saying I should try again?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

rass wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:08 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:02 pm Altered Carbon. It's a bit hard to follow, but it's a hell of an experience. Very Blade Runner-esque.
I fell asleep during the first episode. It wasn't that late. You're saying I should try again?
Good question. It is not a very fast-moving plot, though there is some really nasty violence in the later episodes. For me, I'm captivated by the world they've created and the concepts they've come up with. So if that doesn't grab you, it may not be worth your time.

I'd give it one more episode.

(Funny thing is that Blade Runner always used to put me to sleep. I finally saw it all the way through last year, after I had read the book it was supposedly "based" on.)
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

brian wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:31 pm Started watching "Five Came Back" a documentary about how the five biggest directors in Hollywood (John Ford, John Huston, Frank Capra, Willam Wyler and George Stevens) joined the war effort prior to and during World War II making propaganda films and documentaries to boost the war effort.

Completely enthralling and some of the old footage is amazing. (It's about 3 hours total, but broken up into three "episodes" so you could consume it in an evening though I ran out of time last night. Going to finish it tonight after the hockey game.

Also, got me thinking that I need to find a really good biography of George Marshall, who might have been one of the five most important people on Earth to have lived in the 20th century. Up there with Churchill, FDR, etc.
If you've never watched "Why We Fight" Capra's main contributions to the war efforts, I highly recommend that you do. (The films can be watched at the bottom of the linked Wikipedia article.)

As for the Marshall biography that's good but I really liked The Generals.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Yeah, Netflix acquired the rights to all of the documentaries from all five filmmakers so they're on my list of stuff to watch eventually. That one and the John Huston docs are the ones I'm looking most forward to.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

From the Netflix Original folder, just finished watching How We First Met. A very good "date night" movie, starring Adam Devine (Pitch Perfect) and Alexandra Anna Daddario (True Detective).

Kind of a cool twist on the time traveling RomCom genre. It's not gonna blow your mind, but it was very entertaining.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

So I was watching Cheers earlier today and the episode where it's revealed Frasier had a wife (Nanny G, played by Emma Thompson) was on.

A highlight...

Imagine if Emma Thompson was cast to play Rebecca Howe in Cheer's 'Second Act'. I think she would've added so much more which would've allowed for the writers (honestly, some of the best sitcom writers in TV history) to do so much more with the character.
Noli Timere Messorem
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Yeah, Kirstie Alley was a piece of ass (back in the day), but couldn't act for shit.