Netflix Suggestions?

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Pruitt
The Dude

Re: Netflix Suggestions?

Post by Pruitt »

The Killer is a very very nasty western from Brazil.

Really liked it.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:13 pm I was looking for a short, quirky British show, and gave The End of the F***ing World a go. Holy fuck is it dark and depressing, but really good. I think 10 episodes and some were 15-20 minutes long, so I watched it in 2 sittings. It was different and kept me riveted. Not much comedy to it, but a few moments.
Watched the first 3 episodes last night. Had to stop after that last one because it was pretty intense and pretty late. Love the short run times.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

You want quirky and English?

Try The I.T. Crowd
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Pruitt wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:31 pm You want quirky and English?

Try The I.T. Crowd
A great show that ended too soon.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Outlaw king sucks balls.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Pruitt wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:31 pm You want quirky and English?

Try The I.T. Crowd
Chris O’Dowd is in that. He’s good in the recent Get Shorty series too, and one of my favorite ‘fun flicks’ in recent memory is Frequently Asked Questions About Time Travel (he’s good in that, too).

Also has Richard Ayoade - he had multiple roles in The Mighty Boosh (Saboo - the pill popping, hard partying shaman, and also Dixon Bainbridge)...Damn - love me some Boosh. Stupid, ‘Young Ones’ type humor. Gets me every time.

Shaman stag party song they’d chant through the evening cruising the region on their magic carpet:

We are super magic men
We stay up till 5 a.m.
Although we're bound by shaman law
What goes on tour, stays on tour.
Noli Timere Messorem
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

EnochRoot wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:15 pm Damn - love me some Boosh. Stupid, ‘Young Ones’ type humor. Gets me every time.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Big Mouth is so fucking great. I'm only three episodes into the new season, but I've cracked up non-stop.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

This arrives Friday.

looks great.

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Fuck yes. This looks awesome.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Watched the first couple of episodes of Sunderland 'Til i Die and it is really good.

I don't think it's hyperbole to say that Roma is a truly great movie. A masterpiece - there are scenes in the movie that have to be seen to be be believed. Beautiful, powerful, emotional but completely believable... I could write an essay on how fantastic this movie is.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I keep hearing that about Roma.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Giff wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:10 am I keep hearing that about Roma.
The artistry on display is incredible.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Has anyone else checked out 'Springsteen On Broadway'? We've watched about 2/3rds of it and its really good. My GF is not a big Springsteen fan, and she's really enjoyed hearing the songs played in such a stripped down way, and hearing the stories behind them.

That said, she was NOT a fan of him bringing his wife Patti out to play a couple of songs with him.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Watched bird box on Netflix today. Decent little suspense time killer.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:42 pm Has anyone else checked out 'Springsteen On Broadway'? We've watched about 2/3rds of it and its really good. My GF is not a big Springsteen fan, and she's really enjoyed hearing the songs played in such a stripped down way, and hearing the stories behind them.

That said, she was NOT a fan of him bringing his wife Patti out to play a couple of songs with him.
My wife is a HUGE Springsteen fan (as is my mother, fwiw). I like him a lot, so it all works out fine. Anyways, we are going to watch it, but wanted to get through the hustle of the lead up to Christmas.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

'Bumping Mics' with Dave Attell and Jeff Ross is pretty funny.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:52 pm 'Bumping Mics' with Dave Attell and Jeff Ross is pretty funny.
I didn't like the bumping each other mics thing. Other than that it was fun. Gilbert Gottfried is wonderful.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Birdbox getting memed as hard as it is currently makes sense.

The movie was blah.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Pruitt wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:26 pm
Avram wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:47 pm Not Netflix but The Marvelous Mrs Maisel is an outstanding show
Just got the Amazon prime yesterday and watched the first three episodes.

Outstanding show - so much fun.
I don't know... seemed to lose steam around episode 5 in Season 2. Ended the season with a profound sense of irritation.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I got sucked into a documentary series last night called "Five Came Back". Its about filmmakers John Huston, Frank Capra, William Wyler, George Stevens, and John Ford and the movies they made for the Pentagon during WWII. I read the book a couple of years ago, and it was very good. The series has interviews with Speilberg, Lawrence Kasden, Paul Greengrass, Francis Ford Coppola and Guillermo Del Toro. Only 3 episodes. Worth checking out.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:51 pm I got sucked into a documentary series last night called "Five Came Back". Its about filmmakers John Huston, Frank Capra, William Wyler, George Stevens, and John Ford and the movies they made for the Pentagon during WWII. I read the book a couple of years ago, and it was very good. The series has interviews with Speilberg, Lawrence Kasden, Paul Greengrass, Francis Ford Coppola and Guillermo Del Toro. Only 3 episodes. Worth checking out.
All of the documentary films they produced are available on Netflix as well.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

brian wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:02 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:51 pm I got sucked into a documentary series last night called "Five Came Back". Its about filmmakers John Huston, Frank Capra, William Wyler, George Stevens, and John Ford and the movies they made for the Pentagon during WWII. I read the book a couple of years ago, and it was very good. The series has interviews with Speilberg, Lawrence Kasden, Paul Greengrass, Francis Ford Coppola and Guillermo Del Toro. Only 3 episodes. Worth checking out.
All of the documentary films they produced are available on Netflix as well.
Here I go...down the rabbit hole....
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:56 am This arrives Friday.

looks great.

Because I don't follow English football all that closely, I was completely unaware of what has been going on with Sunderland. So, it was all fresh for me.
[+] spoiler
Geez. What a fucking shitshow. Not all that fun to watch, but I saw it out to the end. Coleman seems like a decent guy put into an impossible situation. Reading up after I watched, good to see the former owner sold so that someone with some ambition to right the ship is back in charge.
I highly recommend "The Class of 92" to anyone that wants a similar type of behind the scenes look at a football club with ambition. 5 former ManU players (Scholes, Butt, Giggs, and the Nevilles) buy a small club near Manchester called Salford City and go about trying to climb the pyramid. I think Salford is a level 9 or 8 when these guys buy them. No spoilers, but it's well worth the watch.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:33 am

looks great.

Because I don't follow English football all that closely, I was completely unaware of what has been going on with Sunderland. So, it was all fresh for me.
[+] spoiler
Geez. What a fucking shitshow. Not all that fun to watch, but I saw it out to the end. Coleman seems like a decent guy put into an impossible situation. Reading up after I watched, good to see the former owner sold so that someone with some ambition to right the ship is back in charge.
I haven't finished the Sunderland series, but I'm about 3 episodes in (the coach just got fired).

I can't imagine how players must feel hearing 'You're not fit to wear the shirt' as they are trudging off the pitch. Absolutely brutal.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

EnochRoot wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:15 pm
love me some Boosh. Stupid, ‘Young Ones’ type humor. Gets me every time.

Have you watched Bunny and the Bull? It's got some of the same peeps, and very much in the same vein...not sure if it's on the 'flix though.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:28 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:33 am

looks great.

[+] spoiler
I haven't finished the Sunderland series, but I'm about 3 episodes in (the coach just got fired).

I can't imagine how players must feel hearing 'You're not fit to wear the shirt' as they are trudging off the pitch. Absolutely brutal.
Agreed. As a perhaps a bit of tease for the Class of 92 series, you hear it on that show, as well. I guess it's fairly common when fans are pissed at the team.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Just watched The Bill Murray Chronicles on Netflix. Nice, quick fun movie about Bill Murray’s interactions with the general public.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Season 3 of Unfortunate Events has started -- I loved reading all of those books and the show does a good job with it, especially Neil Patrick Harris's over the top hamming.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Rush2112 wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:02 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:15 pm
love me some Boosh. Stupid, ‘Young Ones’ type humor. Gets me every time.

Have you watched Bunny and the Bull? It's got some of the same peeps, and very much in the same vein...not sure if it's on the 'flix though.
Thanks!

I have not seen it yet, but will definitely look for it. Simon Farnaby - he's the copycat Howard Moon in 'The Power of the Crimp'...

Noli Timere Messorem
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

EdRomero wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:39 pm Season 3 of Unfortunate Events has started -- I loved reading all of those books and the show does a good job with it, especially Neil Patrick Harris's over the top hamming.
My kids LOVE this show, and are already done with season 3.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Just watched Season 3 of F is for Family. Holy fuck, did that turn dark. It went from a more realistic cartoon with some dark one liners to having some death and getting really fucking dark. I liked it. If you like Bill Burr, you'll love it. If you don't like Bill Burr, you still might like it.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

There’s a show called Slobby’s World and I have no idea if it’s a real show or a parody.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Watched the first 7 (of 8) episodes of Sex Education. Hadn't heard of it, but it popped up as a suggestion. I am really enjoying it. It's a quirky show, part high school comedy movie, part British comedy series, but I feel like the characters have deeper layers to them, and are more compelling. Kind of the standard HS comedy tropes and characters, but done with a twist, and done better. The main character's mother looked familiar, but I didn't realize it is Gillian Anderson. At age 50, I think she is hotter than she was in her Scully days.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Agree with TSM on all counts. Took us a minute to figure out Anderson, but we watched her in The Fall, so...
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Definitely putting it on my list.

If you want something completely bonkers, the Japanese anime Backstreet Girls: Gokudols is about three Yakuza members who screw up so badly that they are forced by their boss to have sex changes and become a cutesy JPop group.

Insane.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:07 pm Definitely putting it on my list.

If you want something completely bonkers, the Japanese anime Backstreet Girls: Gokudols is about three Yakuza members who screw up so badly that they are forced by their boss to have sex changes and become a cutesy JPop group.

Insane.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnnie wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:05 pm

Insane.
Hey!

I watch this stuff for work. I try to see at least an episode of any animated series. I swear...
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:05 pm

Insane.
Ha, that summed up my thoughts exactly. Confusion, hell no, then, actually, that sounds interesting.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

It's been made into a live action movie.