Netflix Suggestions?

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: Netflix Suggestions?

Post by The Sybian »

Watched the first episode of Idiot Abroad. Karl is just intelligent enough that I don't feel like I am laughing at a mentally challenged person, but I'm still not sure. He knows Gervaise and Merchant are fucking with him, and he is willing to take the abuse because he knows he is very limited in his knowledge of the world, so I think it's ok to laugh at him. At first I thought he might be playing it up for the cameras, but if he isn't genuine, he is a phenomenal actor.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Netflix is also great for revisiting shows you've already seen many times, just for the fun and nostalgia of it. Last night, my daughter and I watched a few episodes of the first season of Arrested Development. Good stuff.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Sybian wrote:Watched the first episode of Idiot Abroad. Karl is just intelligent enough that I don't feel like I am laughing at a mentally challenged person, but I'm still not sure. He knows Gervaise and Merchant are fucking with him, and he is willing to take the abuse because he knows he is very limited in his knowledge of the world, so I think it's ok to laugh at him. At first I thought he might be playing it up for the cameras, but if he isn't genuine, he is a phenomenal actor.
I think it's schtick that started when he was their engineer during a podcast or radio show.

But I like "Idiot Abroad" because even though I suspect he's not as dumb as he acts - it is a funny character, and if you ever travel, you see these guys.

My wife discovered the Netflix show "Grace and Frankie" - I sat in on the first couple of episodes and made the mistake of saying it was alright (meh) and actually laughed at one line.

So now it's "our show."
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Stranger Things. So good.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnnie wrote:Stranger Things. So good.
My wife is binging on it and FREAKING out in the living room. keeps calling my daughter in to discuss what is going on.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Eh. I mean, it's good if you like stories that slowly unfold, and the initial season ends in a fashion that lets it be OK if the show isn't renewed.

But at the end of the day, while it's a fun trip down memory lane, the feel of it plays out more like a Stephen King adaptation (movie) than it does one of his literary works. And maybe that's what they wanted to achieve?

I know I'm coming across as #GetOffMahLawn, and a quick check across the internets confirms this..But I really think there's some halcyon love going on for this thing.
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

EnochRoot wrote:
Eh. I mean, it's good if you like stories that slowly unfold, and the initial season ends in a fashion that lets it be OK if the show isn't renewed.

But at the end of the day, while it's a fun trip down memory lane, the feel of it plays out more like a Stephen King adaptation (movie) than it does one of his literary works. And maybe that's what they wanted to achieve?

I know I'm coming across as #GetOffMahLawn, and a quick check across the internets confirms this..But I really think there's some halcyon love going on for this thing.
Johnnie is a bit younger that a lot of us, might not be the same trip down memory lane.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

EnochRoot wrote:

I loved it. Excited to see what comes next but very happy with the resolution of the current arc. Is that so bad? It's refreshing to see a decent story told in 6 hours of TV and not have to be all Walking Dead about you coming back to it. Great shows should bait you into a viewing habit because of that shit. You should want to watch it because of the quality of the show.

I'm not sure there's anyone out there who does "crazy lady" quite like Winona Ryder. She was perfect. As were most of the kids. As was the sheriff guy.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

BSF21 wrote:
EnochRoot wrote:

I loved it. Excited to see what comes next but very happy with the resolution of the current arc. Is that so bad? It's refreshing to see a decent story told in 6 hours of TV and not have to be all Walking Dead about you coming back to it. Great shows shouldn't bait you into a viewing habit because of that shit. You should want to watch it because of the quality of the show.

I'm not sure there's anyone out there who does "crazy lady" quite like Winona Ryder. She was perfect. As were most of the kids. As was the sheriff guy.

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

A_B wrote:
EnochRoot wrote:

Johnnie is a bit younger that a lot of us, might not be the same trip down memory lane.
I've read exactly one King book (Insomnia) because I received it as a birthday present from a friend who loves his books. It was good to read on a deployment. (Though the random swearing through it threw me off - Fucked your mother! Ate her cunt!)

And I was a huge fan of seeing The Langoliers when it was on TV. So this was pretty cool to me. Especially the '80s throwback stuff.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Will be watching Last Chance U this week. Heard nothing but great things. It's about East Mississippi CC's football team. They've churned out a bunch of FBS players.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Brontoburglar wrote:Will be watching Last Chance U this week. Heard nothing but great things. It's about East Mississippi CC's football team. They've churned out a bunch of FBS players.

I can vouch. I'm only through 2 episodes and I'm all in. They are doing a very good job (so far) of dipping into the lives of the players and coaches and administrators without zeroing in on just one or two main points of focus.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Johnnie wrote:
A_B wrote:
EnochRoot wrote:

I've read exactly one King book (Insomnia) because I received it as a birthday present from a friend who loves his books. It was good to read on a deployment. (Though the random swearing through it threw me off - Fucked your mother! Ate her cunt!)

And I was a huge fan of seeing The Langoliers when it was on TV. So this was pretty cool to me. Especially the '80s throwback stuff.
1) Just to be clear, while there clear/obvious references to King (the opening credits, first and foremost), this isn't a King adaptation. It's a novella written by some other dude.

2) I'm probably not telling a lot of you what you don't already know, but... The shit going in that lab, WRT LSD and mind control and torturing people into getting certain results... All that stuff was going down. Like, not conspiracy theory tin foil hat, but actually programs carried out by the CIA and others. Obviously, this show took it to an extreme conclusion, but it's rooted in recent history.

3) There a bunch of really cool callouts to King and Spielberg movies of the 80s. All the bike riding with the big headlights on the handle bars + dressing up 11 with the wig - ET. The general energy of the 3 boys + Elle and the vibe of the older kids that get mixed in later in the series -- Goonies. The monster had elements of Alien and Predator... Even a little Jaws in terms of hunting by smelling blood (and I can see an angle where we don't see the monster for almost 5 episodes, very similar to how you don't see the shark until the back half of the movie.) There's a lot of Carrie going on, in terms of Elle not knowing how to deal with her powers.. until she knows exactly how to use that shit and it's scary as fuck.

I mean, just the way the Government was portrayed is very War Games and just about every movie that came out in that era... Not to mention kicking up the Cold War to the fever pitch we lived through in that time.

4) I had a few minor quibbles: I'm not sure I understand why a drowning would've been closed casket. Just in general, it seems a little unbelievable that Winona wouldn't have been able to go in the room, and if they wouldn't let her should've had all the more reason to freak the fuck out.

I get that 80s movies of this ilk had a certain cartoonish way of portraying most of the adults, particularly the parents, but... C'mon with Ted Wheeler. Was the guy lobotomized?

And this is super minor, but.. How the Hell did the kids get up to spray paint the marquee? In broad daylight, no less. (Also, when he comes back to help... move the fucking ladder over, morons.)
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Binge watches Last Chance U over a few days. ONly six episodes. Pretty good timekiller.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Finished Bojack. Echo all Brian's praise. Please tell me they are making more. Last season was dark as fuck, and that underwater episode was one of the most bizarre episodes of any show ever. Made me wish I was high.

Blowing through Todd Margaret. I think I have 4 episodes left in season 3. After 2 episodes I was going to ask if it was worth sticking with. The whole bumbling fool who can't get out of his own way was getting old. There is something about characters telling obviously lies then compounding those lies with more ridiculous lies that irritates the fuck out of me. Probably why I can't watch Curb Your Enthusiasm. The twist in how Season 3 starts off is one of the greatest ideas ever.

Watched the first season of House of Cards. Holy fuck. Frank Underwood is the greatest protagonist/villain ever. Loved the scene (end of Season 1, beginning of Season 2?) when he puts down the cufflinks the driver gives him. They cut really close, and it's his initials; F U. It was so perfect. I am completely in love with Kate Mara. Perfect combination of cute and hot that I always fell for.

I am really disappointed in the selection of movies on Netflix. Do you have to get the DVDs to get good movies? Other than documentaries, there are very few movies I want to see, and I have an enormous list of movies to catch up on. Basically everything that came out in the last 12 years. Did Netflix lose out on movies to a competitor? Amazon Prime doesn't have much in the way of movies either.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote:
I am really disappointed in the selection of movies on Netflix. Do you have to get the DVDs to get good movies? Other than documentaries, there are very few movies I want to see, and I have an enormous list of movies to catch up on. Basically everything that came out in the last 12 years. Did Netflix lose out on movies to a competitor? Amazon Prime doesn't have much in the way of movies either.
Netflix is making it intentionally difficult to find movies, from something I heard. Kind of like how Hulu has made it much more difficult to find their free, ad-supported programming. It's frustrating for sure. They are definitely pushing their original stuff much much harder.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote:
The Sybian wrote:
Netflix is making it intentionally difficult to find movies, from something I heard. Kind of like how Hulu has made it much more difficult to find their free, ad-supported programming. It's frustrating for sure. They are definitely pushing their original stuff much much harder.
Interesting. Do they pay a fee to whoever owns the rights to the movies on a per-viewing basis or something? Still, that would have to be a lower cost than producing their own content, no? OTOH, their shows are the draw now, over competitors. Such a weird twist in how we watch shows, and how they get made.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

To answer a couple of question, yes BoJack has been greenlit for Season 4 at least.

And yes, strangely Netflix does often "hide" higher-profile movies though to what end I'm not really sure. I discovered this accidentally one time when I was scrolling through the "genres" of movies. You can try this yourself. Pick comedies or dramas or whatever floats your boat and you'll go through page after page of crap and then the last 10-12 movies it literally displays will be movies from major studios that you've heard of and which are potentially worth seeing or have already seen. Stuff like "Die Hard", etc. (Not a literally example, but something to illustrate the point).
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

RE: Stranger Things.

I hate that this kid is "killed", the whole town goes to his funeral, and then he re-appears and no one is like "wtf?" Life just goes on?
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

P.D.X. wrote:RE: Stranger Things.
[+] spoiler
I hate that this kid is "killed", the whole town goes to his funeral, and then he re-appears and no one is like "wtf?" Life just goes on
?
I don't think
[+] spoiler
the town treated it as no big deal. The show just time-jumped past all the wtf.

Compared to a lot of the sci fi/fantasy shows I watch, the kid turning out not to be dead is probably the easiest thing to explain. He had run away and they misidentified the body. That's probably more believable than the random gas leaks or whatever the powers that be use to cover up the supernatural.
Last edited by Steve of phpBB on Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

How about some fucking spoilers?
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Giff wrote:How about some fucking spoilers?
Sorry. I just figured I'm always the last to watch something, and since we just watched the show this weekend, it was open season.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

[+] spoiler
After their mother dies, Michael has Fredo killed.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The Get Down is pretty cool.

And I gotta start in on season 2 of Narcos.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

howard wrote:
[+] spoiler
After their mother dies, Michael has Fredo killed.
[+] spoiler
someone doesn't get to enjoy his cannoli as intended.

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I'd read a scathing review of Christopher Guest's Mascots", so I watched it with very low expectations.

And it was pretty funny. His style is almost a cliche by now, but I liked this way more than I thought I would.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Pruitt wrote:I'd read a scathing review of Christopher Guest's Mascots", so I watched it with very low expectations.

And it was pretty funny. His style is almost a cliche by now, but I liked this way more than I thought I would.
I liked it, but yeah, he wasn't visiting anything new that he hadn't already done before..though I think the problem may well be with the ensemble itself. These movies aren't really scripted, and if you have a critical mass of the same players, the movie viewer is inevitably going to experience varied shades of deja vu.
Noli Timere Messorem
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

EnochRoot wrote:
Pruitt wrote:I'd read a scathing review of Christopher Guest's Mascots", so I watched it with very low expectations.

I liked it, but yeah, he wasn't visiting anything new that he hadn't already done before..though I think the problem may well be with the ensemble itself. These movies aren't really scripted, and if you have a critical mass of the same players, the movie viewer is inevitably going to experience varied shades of deja vu.
Absolutely. No idea why he brought that Corky character back.

But still, The Fist's routine was comedy gold.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Don't know if it's on USA Netflix, but so far People Just Do Nothing is hilarious.

English show in the style of The Office. No need to explain any more, but the first episode is good, and the second is a classic.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

January 31 is the new Bill Burr stand up called Walk Your Way Out.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Look Who's Back a German movie(huge hit there apparently).

hitler comes back to modern-day Germany. Elements of Borat but ultimately bone-chilling as more than a few of Hitler's comments sound very Trumpian.

Very well done.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Weekend indoors which meant a lot of Netflix...

Girlfriends Day Bob Odenkirk made it for Netflix. Just over an hour long which is the perfect length as the concept could just barely sustain it. It's absurd and is an homage to L.A. noir with a premise out of a Mr. Show skit. Liked it, wife did not.

Kingdom of Dreams and Madness if you are into animation or the films of Studio Ghibli in Japan, than really good.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Pruitt, have you ever watched Danger 5? It's an Austrailian series that takes place in the 60s (sort of) based around an international group bent on killing Hitler. Campy, but fantastic. The filmmakers originally got together to make a film based on a (fake) trailer that was so popular they made a "movie." Then got funding for this series.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Rush2112 wrote:Pruitt, have you ever watched Danger 5? It's an Austrailian series that takes place in the 60s (sort of) based around an international group bent on killing Hitler. Campy, but fantastic. The filmmakers originally got together to make a film based on a (fake) trailer that was so popular they made a "movie." Then got funding for this series.
I will be seeking it out ASAP!
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

It's on American Netflix.

The trailer/movie they made is on YouTube. It's called Italian Spiderman.

Here's the Danger 5 trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z09bNgSeMI
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Liked "Danger 5." Watched the first 3 episodes. Funny, campy and those women!

But taken off Canadian Netflix today!

Finally watched Room 237 the documentary about people's theories about the movie The Shining and it is royally fucked up. Not the movie itself - very well made -p but the theories and the evidence put forward by the experts is a mess.

A great demonstration of how conspiracy theories are formed - misunderstanding source material, distorting evidence and repeating theories in an echo chamber. Half of the theories could be dismissed as the people espousing them clearly hadn't read Stephen King's novel or have no idea how films are made.

One of the theorists actually said this (and it is one of the most asinine things I have ever heard - but again, fits in with the mind set of the conspiracy theorist): "We all know from post-modern film criticism that author intent is only part of the story of any work of art, and those meaning are there regardless of whether the creator of the work considers them."

Fantastic. If you've seen the Shining a couple of times, it is a very entertaining documentary.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The documentary Accidental Courtesy is pretty cool. Completely worth a watch.

https://youtu.be/V7fh5J_mo5E
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Damn, he seems like a pretty special dude.
Totally Kafkaesque
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Shirley wrote:Damn, he seems like a pretty special dude.
It's an hour and forty minute long documentary. Around an hour and ten in, after you've established a liking of the guy and understanding of where he comes from, he interviews leaders in the Baltimore Black Lives Matter movement. They treat him horribly. It's disgusting. It made me angry.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Tramps is really good. Nothing earth-shattering, but a good story told well (and economically - 80 minutes or so)

My wife was told by a woman at work that Adam Sandler's new Netflix movie Sandy Wexler was so bad that she only made it through 10 minutes. We bailed at 6:22. We did check in on a couple of other scenes just to confirm our suspicions... it is heinously awful. An ego so out of control that the final scene is a song at a wedding...
[+] spoiler
Between Adam Sandler's character Jennifer Hudson's character. A full length version of "There;s No Business Like Show Business" sung by Sandler's character - who has an exaggerated nasally Jewish voice. Jennifer Hudson doesn't sing a word. Just stares at him in admiration.
It could be anew drunken game - the "Sandy Wexler" challenge. A prize to whoever can watch all of the 135 minute movie.