Johnnie
The Dude

Re: Netflix Suggestions?

Post by Johnnie »

Watched this back when it came out:

https://youtu.be/o2dQojRHX9Q

Well, this just debuted. Watched 5 of the 6 episodes:

https://youtu.be/WbV7MRBWlk8

Episode 5, in particular, is this dude from Australia that has sent this one cam girl lots of money over the 4 years he's been viewing her. They've built their relationship to the point where she flies from LA to Melbourne to meet him. She's married and he knows this to boot. And it goes horribly. Cringe all around.

It's like the guy who's a regular at the strip club for 4 years that finally gets to be friends with her. To him it's a real relationship. To her she's now not playing a fantasy anymore and is like "This is awkward..." Watching it was difficult. He was a nice guy, but lacked social awareness and interpersonal abilities.

Interview with Rashida Jones:

https://youtu.be/PLYszpvyED4
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Just appeared on Canadian Neflix. If it's on your Netflix, I can't recommend this documentary highly enough.

Hilarious and oddly touching, the story of a couple of metal heads from Toronto who almost nearly hit the big time but never gave up.

And there are a lot of shots around the corner from my house in the neighbourhood where these guys grew up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHupiYvm8zo
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

That's a good one. Their music is just so bad you can't help to feel sympathy, but love the dedication. Another fun one in the same genre is I Am Thor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3420X3DN0-Q
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Thor one was amazing too.

I loved the anvil one because I know Jew hosers like those guys. Total knuckleheads. But compared to Thor, Anvil were Zeppelin.

Those two make a great double bill of Canadian metal of the 70s.

In a similar vein - but a cut below the other two is the film on Netflix about Orion. Still worth a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Sh3vrxOAg4
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

I'm enjoying Hinterland at the moment
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Get Me Roger Stone was fascinating. I didn't know his full history going back to Nixon. This makes it seem like Stone planned a Trump Presidency back in the early 1980s. I knew Stone was a bizarre whacko, but he really had his hand on a lot of horrible twists in history. I thinki it was Jeffrey Toobin who called him the Malevolent Forrest Gump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IPyv4KgTAA
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Master of None. Probably a top 10 of all time show for me right now. They tried so many different things this season, and in my opinion, pulled them all off.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The Keepers is a gut-wrenching true crime series that just popped off a few weeks ago. Delves into the cold case of a nun being murdered in Baltimore in the 60s (or very early 70s, I can't remember.) What's interesting about the series is that it's not so much about the murder as it is about what was going on around the nun when the murder occurred. Not that they aren't getting to the bottom of the murder, they do make some serious strides there... But there's a LOT more going on.

Not exactly a "fun" thing to watch... But I found some pretty uplifting aspects to it.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

govmentchedda wrote:Master of None. Probably a top 10 of all time show for me right now. They tried so many different things this season, and in my opinion, pulled them all off.
It was really good. Francesca, man. I think i fell in love with her, too.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Nonlinear FC wrote:The Keepers is a gut-wrenching true crime series that just popped off a few weeks ago. Delves into the cold case of a nun being murdered in Baltimore in the 60s (or very early 70s, I can't remember.) What's interesting about the series is that it's not so much about the murder as it is about what was going on around the nun when the murder occurred. Not that they aren't getting to the bottom of the murder, they do make some serious strides there... But there's a LOT more going on.

Not exactly a "fun" thing to watch... But I found some pretty uplifting aspects to it.

We watched two episodes of this last night. Man. hard to watch.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

A_B wrote:
govmentchedda wrote:Master of None. Probably a top 10 of all time show for me right now. They tried so many different things this season, and in my opinion, pulled them all off.
It was really good. Francesca, man. I think i fell in love with her, too.

Rules
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I'm 8 episodes in to season 2, and there hasn't been a bad one yet.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

A_B wrote:
Nonlinear FC wrote:The Keepers is a gut-wrenching true crime series that just popped off a few weeks ago. Delves into the cold case of a nun being murdered in Baltimore in the 60s (or very early 70s, I can't remember.) What's interesting about the series is that it's not so much about the murder as it is about what was going on around the nun when the murder occurred. Not that they aren't getting to the bottom of the murder, they do make some serious strides there... But there's a LOT more going on.

We watched two episodes of this last night. Man. hard to watch.
You're gonna wanna get to ep. 3... Not that it gets any easier, but... yeah...
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

govmentchedda wrote:I'm 8 episodes in to season 2, and there hasn't been a bad one yet.

I couldn't get out of the blocks on season 1, but you guys are convincing me to give it another go.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Nonlinear FC wrote:
govmentchedda wrote:I'm 8 episodes in to season 2, and there hasn't been a bad one yet.

I couldn't get out of the blocks on season 1, but you guys are convincing me to give it another go.
I find it to be good overall with some fantastic episodes. Just finished episode 2 of season 2. Didn't like the first episode, and the second one took a while to get going but was okay. But I've been told that greatness awaits around the corner.

An issue for me is that Aziz Ansari is a terrible actor. His character is so likeable though that it covers for a lot of his failings.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Pruitt wrote:
Nonlinear FC wrote:

I find it to be good overall with some fantastic episodes. Just finished episode 2 of season 2. Didn't like the first episode, and the second one took a while to get going but was okay. But I've been told that greatness awaits around the corner.

An issue for me is that Aziz Ansari is a terrible actor. His character is so likeable though that it covers for a lot of his failings.
I think the acting in intentionally a little stilted. Don't get me wrong, he's not great (neither is Arnold) but I think some of the stuff that comes off as bad acting is intentional. Adds a bit of realism, but when you get a good actor/actress opposite him it exaggerates things.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Perhaps you're right, although I think that the reality is probably that it's his show, so he's the star.

He's great when it's simple, fun scenes. But
[+] spoiler
The scenes in season 1 when he and his girlfriend were having issues and deep discussions stayed pretty flat. Don;t get me wrong, I like the show though.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Interesting. When I saw the headline, I suspected it would link to a piece by The Onion.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote:
Interesting. When I saw the headline, I suspected it would link to a piece by The Onion.
Shit, I missed my chance to post that in that thread. You're right.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Well when the president speaks in front of Congress, he gets standing ovations too. Except from the generals of the JCS.

So it was probably a sarcastic 4 minutes.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Johnnie wrote:Well when the president speaks in front of Congress, he gets standing ovations too. Except from the generals of the JCS.

So it was probably a sarcastic 4 minutes.
The movie's got Dustin Hoffman, Emma Thompson and Ben Stiller and was written by Noah Baumbach. I don't think it was a "sarcastic" standing ovation.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This should terrify the shit outta you:

https://youtu.be/ZCPlm-mQ9Kk

I learned about all of these incidents, but seeing a documentary about it is pretty cool.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Jeff Garlin's Handsome is quirky and has some very funny scenes.

Decent way to spend 80 minutes or so. The woman who plays his partner is hilarious.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Goldie and Bear is a great way to shut your kids up for four hours while you catch up on Twitter, clean the house and drink a few mimosas.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote:Goldie and Bear is a great way to shut your kids up for four hours while you catch up on Twitter, clean the house and drink a few mimosas.

Looks like a ripoff of Masha and the Bear. My daughter was way into the original Russian version of that show when she was around 2 or so. She'd insist on watching it instead of shows in English, which drove my son nuts. They were happy when Netflix started showing it in English.

-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Sybian wrote:Get Me Roger Stone was fascinating. I didn't know his full history going back to Nixon. This makes it seem like Stone planned a Trump Presidency back in the early 1980s. I knew Stone was a bizarre whacko, but he really had his hand on a lot of horrible twists in history. I thinki it was Jeffrey Toobin who called him the Malevolent Forrest Gump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IPyv4KgTAA
Does it talk about how back in the 70's he was advertising in Swingers Magazines for guys to come over and fuck his wife while he watched?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Did that work??
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Does it talk about how back in the 70's he was advertising in Swingers Magazines for guys to come over and fuck his wife while he watched?
Ha, ha. It was 1996 while he was working on Dole's campaign, but yes, they covered it. It was funny watching the contemporaneous interviews of Stone denying it, saying it was a smear campaign and made up, followed by him openly admitting it. BTW, this is the architect of the Trump campaign, marching in a Gay Pride parade with someone who is not his wife.

-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote:Did that work??

Your wife's FB post taking the kids to meet an Astros player had me thinking she was on a scouting mission. I assumed making that joke on FB would have crossed the line...
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The Sybian wrote:
Giff wrote:Did that work??

Your wife's FB post taking the kids to meet an Astros player had me thinking she was on a scouting mission. I assumed making that joke on FB would have crossed the line...
Oh that's her #1 for sure. I scored some points surprising her with that.

But yeah, keep it off FB. Other than the sister I like (we overshare) and one of my wife's random friends, no one knows about this except for my Swampmates and the other guy we're probably going to end up doing this with.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Altuve?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Did Netflix stop showing user ratings altogether? That blows.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

What We Do In Shadows is really, really funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jK6hJ-xmYg

Also loved Hunt For The Wilderpeople by the same Director. Not sure if it's still on Netflix, but a great movie.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The one about the billionaires against the media. Nobody Speak. Oh boy. We're already there, but billionaires are going to destroy the media when it's uncovering bad things the billionaires do.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Watched What The Health. The stuff about how the money trail flows from big corporations to institutions that are there to help wasn't shocking so much as expected. It's not difficult to see a link between bad food, bad health, and making sure the profits remain in treating the symptoms and not the cause.

The preachiness of going vegan was ridiculous. And the "look how healthy these people are after 2 weeks!" stuff made me roll my eyes. However, adding a bunch of veggies to your diet isn't a bad idea...pending those veggies are free of pesticides.

Seems like no matter what everything is meant to keep you alive and suffering. I'm not due I'll give up meat, but I'd love to reduce my consumption of it.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Watched the first couple of episodes of season one of Chewing Gum.

Really good - the first episode was comedy gold, and the second one had a number of big laughs.

The woman who created it and stars in it - Michaela Coel - is amazing.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

It's not getting the best reviews, but we're loving Friends From College.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »