Netflix Suggestions?

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Giff
The Dude

Re: Netflix Suggestions?

Post by Giff »

brian wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:48 am
Giff wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:39 am Enjoying Yellowstone. I mean, Benny's in it for cryin' out loud. And Cowboy Costner is better than any other Costner, IMO.
Ryan Bingham is in it too.
Yup. Haven't watched last night's episode yet, so really excited about that.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I’m in love with the teacher from this season of Last Chance U. Like no exaggeration or hyperbole. She’s awesome.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Freaks and Geeks is pretty cool. I see why everyone is nostalgic over it.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:26 am I’m in love with the teacher from this season of Last Chance U. Like no exaggeration or hyperbole. She’s awesome.
Yeah but she’s been a bit less of a presence in the last couple of episodes. I think we are on 7.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

We're really enjoying American Vandal.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

We watched Extinction over the weekend. Holy shit is it bad. We hate watched the last half of it.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:07 pm Freaks and Geeks is pretty cool. I see why everyone is nostalgic over it.
It was framed well for a one season, but still a what if. Amazing what the cast has gone on to do though.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Giff wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:50 am We're really enjoying American Vandal.
Can't wait for season 2.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Moon with Sam Rockwell is really, really good.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. If you haven’t seen Documentary Now watch at the very least the episode “The Eye Doesn’t Lie”. Maybe my favorite half-hour of TV ever.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:27 pm Moon with Sam Rockwell is really, really good.
Yeah it is. The 'Filmspotting' podcast gives out an award every year called 'The Golden Brick', which is for a movie that got totally overlooked. It was one of the first winners of it.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Ken Burn's Vietnam doc is now on Netflix, and I've been making my way through it. Totally engrossing.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:05 pm I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. If you haven’t seen Documentary Now watch at the very least the episode “The Eye Doesn’t Lie”. Maybe my favorite half-hour of TV ever.
Not on Netflix Canada.

I've seen a few Documentary Now episodes and they are outstanding. The Vice Parody was hilarious.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Not sure if it's been talked about, but just got done with a binge watch of Big Mouth. It's tremendous.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:40 am Not sure if it's been talked about, but just got done with a binge watch of Big Mouth. It's tremendous.
One development I didn't expect in my life was to love Nick Kroll.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Giff wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:01 am
tennbengal wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:40 am Not sure if it's been talked about, but just got done with a binge watch of Big Mouth. It's tremendous.
Yeah. But he and the writing team on that have really turned out a pretty genius work.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:01 am
Roger Bennett's favorite brother-in-law! Totally agree, he used to annoy me until I watched The League. Now I like him. Although I don't know what to make of Oh, Hello Broadway. I both liked and hated it at the same time. It was stupid and insanely annoying, but it was supposed to be, and that was the genius, but OTOH, it was soooo stupid, it was horrible at times. But damn, they committed to the bit!
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:28 am
Giff wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:50 am We're really enjoying American Vandal.
Can't wait for season 2.
Just started watching. This shit is hilarious.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

A Hologram For The King with Tom Hanks starts well but turns into a big load of "meh."

Really loved the book...
[+] spoiler
And the movie took all of the existential angst and the downbeat ending and turned it into a redemptive Hollywood happy ending that felt completely tacked on
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

How am I this late to the game on Kimmy Schmidt? 7 eps in and this shit is brilliant.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I had insomnia this morning, so I watched the first episode of Insatiable. Now, keeping in mind I was in a shitty mood and it was 3:30am...

Meh. I will say this, what an absolutely silly show to get worked up about. (Short story if you missed it, the show is about a high school girl bullied because she's fat, she loses the weight rapidly to turn into a stunner. Fat shaming is a third rail, I guess, so people spent a solid week bitching about the show before it aired.)

It's just a very silly comedy with out-sized characters and a lot of sexual innuendo.

She's also smoking hot and Alyssa Milano gets a lot of time as the hot mom. I dunno if I'll give it a run, but the "controversy" over the show was REALLY overblown (IMO, obvs).
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I think the beef with the show from the critiques I saw were more that it uses weak/easy jokes to try and prove the point that bullying is wrong rather than trying to come at it from a place of insight and respect.

I saw the interview with the creator (who did NOT come off well BTW insisting that what seems to be reasonable criticism is akin to censorship, which is NOT a word that should be thrown around lightly) and there was a lot of complaining from her that she's trying to make the point that fat shaming is wrong and I believe her to a large extent, but I'm not so sure that making fat jokes is the best method to show that fat jokes are wrong.

I probably won't see it because controversy or no, the show looks dumb as fuck, so I don't really have a dog in the fight, but most of the people I've seen hate on the show are people I respect (i.e. Sepinwall, etc.) and who aren't prone to getting the vapors at the first show that dares to get a little close to the third rail of comedy, whatever that might be*

* - I could get in more depth but just think about a show like "Sunny" for example. Sunny works because the characters say and do racist, homophobic horrible stuff, but the characters get their comeuppance in the end and are never rewarded for their bad behavior.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

(I still have an episode or two of season 1 to get through because I can't stay awake past 10PM on weekdays)
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I don;t care about the critics - I am enjoying the hell out of Disenchantment
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Ozark Season 2 is out! First season was was amazing, must watch stuff. Kind of a blend of different genres, and felt like a movie more than a show.

Bert Kreisher has a comedy special that just came out. If you like Bert, it's great. I think he made a huge jump from a funny guy telling great stories to being a true comedian. If I didn't know him, I don't know what I would have thought of this special, and it's not fore everyone.
-Pruitt
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:16 pm I don;t care about the critics - I am enjoying the hell out of Disenchantment
Agreed. I think it's great.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I'm so excited to watch S2 of Ozarks!

I've got a trip to CO coming up and I might download S1 to remind myself what went down.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:16 pm I don;t care about the critics - I am enjoying the hell out of Disenchantment
You know what... I stopped watching the Simpsons a LOOOOONG time ago.

I'm REALLY enjoying this show. I like that on Netflix the show creators are allowed to get even darker. I'm 3 episodes in and I'll definitely see it all the way through.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:00 am Ozark Season 2 is out! First season was was amazing, must watch stuff. Kind of a blend of different genres, and felt like a movie more than a show.

Bert Kreisher has a comedy special that just came out. If you like Bert, it's great. I think he made a huge jump from a funny guy telling great stories to being a true comedian. If I didn't know him, I don't know what I would have thought of this special, and it's not fore everyone.
Dude, I came here to post that we watched that 1.5 times yesterday and pretty much cried the entire time. The pajamas bit is one of the funniest stand-up moments I’ve seen.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Agreed! I had to leave my bedroom and watch it downstairs because I was waking my wife up laughing so hard.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I don’t know what it says about me that I couldn’t breathe after a joke about a 6-year-old being fellated, but I know I don’t care.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:36 pm
The Sybian wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:00 am Ozark Season 2 is out! First season was was amazing, must watch stuff. Kind of a blend of different genres, and felt like a movie more than a show.

Dude, I came here to post that we watched that 1.5 times yesterday and pretty much cried the entire time. The pajamas bit is one of the funniest stand-up moments I’ve seen.
He had his father on an episode of Bertcast, so feeling like I somewhat know his father, his jokes about how his father doesn't find him funny were that much more enjoyable. Much more so with his wife, as she is on his podcast frequently. Not that I listen to his podcast all that much, and it's absolutely necessary to skip through his wife reading ads for him, as Bert can't read ads for shit.
-Pruitt
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

He’s a much better guest on podcasts than he is a host of a podcast.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

bfj wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:05 pm He’s a much better guest on podcasts than he is a host of a podcast.
YEP.

Tom Segura and his wife just had him on and it's fucking hilarious.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Agreed! I thought it was sweet how happy Tom was for Bert and his Netflix success.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Next Gen a big budget animated movie - co-pro with AliBaba out of China - is really, really bad.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

New Joe Rogan stand up on 2 October.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:37 am

New Joe Rogan stand up on 2 October.
Jesus, I feel like his last special just came out.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I've only ever seen him on NewsRadio and I'm OK with that.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:29 am I've only ever seen him on NewsRadio and I'm OK with that.
His podcast is the most worthwhile program on any media platform. I used to think of him as the Fear Factor and UFC guy, but he is actually really intelligent, and interested in an extremely wide variety of topics. His best quality, he isn't afraid to remain silent and let a more intelligent and entertaining guest completely run his show. He will just ask a question to get the guest talking on an interesting point, and let them run when that makes for better or more informative listening. I love it, because he will have on brilliant scientists one day, and his goofball comedian friend the next. I think you would love his podcast. I've found his shows on psychedelics particularly fascinating. He is a big proponent of the potential medical and spiritual benefits of controlled use of psychedelics, which I think is a widely ignored but fascinating avenue of research that needs to occur.

To tie it back to the thread topic, Joe had Nick Yarris on last week, and man was that a powerful show. Nick Yarris spent 21 years on death row for a crime he didn't commit before being exonerated. Netflix has a documentary about Yarros called Fear of 13, which is supposed to be an amazing documentary. Holy fuck, does that guy have a story to tell.
-Pruitt